Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

netally posted:

Hollyoaks always had people dying on their wedding day. Did they ever have a wedding that was vaguely normal and dull?

I'd love it if a soap decided to have a Christmas episode, with a wedding, that was actually pleasant and peaceful. It would be a genuine loving shock at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

netally posted:

Never!

Hollyoaks always had people dying on their wedding day. Did they ever have a wedding that was vaguely normal and dull?

That was Eastenders, but yeah.

For me, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Hollyoaks weddings is that not-at-all heavy-handed-promo for Mercedes and Riley's wedding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2sW-r9Vb4

Hollyoaks promos are always unintentionally hilarious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AuguryOwl posted:

Hollyoaks promos are always unintentionally hilarious.

Normally my thought process upon seeing an Hollyoaks promo is;

'Oh, this show looks cool, I wonder why I haven't heard of... Oh, it's just loving Hollyoaks.'

I guess in that sense they are incredibly effective, I just happen to be too jaded for them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Watch Eastenders and hate Jimmy Carr ? You are what is wrong with our country.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This is fun to watch. I like Carr but the tax thing is inexcusable; the other comedians are giving it to him pretty hard (rightly so) and it's good to see him not have an answer, shrugging helplessly waiting for the topic to change.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Woah, I want a scary wedding like that!

There have definitely been wedding deaths in Hollyoaks though. Max got hit by a car as he was walking to the reception, and some groom got shot during his first dance and they did a "who shot whatshisname?" storyline which went on forfuckingever.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The tax thing is just what rich people do in this country. Personally I think it's inexcusable to get all up in an arseache over a self-made man like Carr doing it because David loving Cameron told you to.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

netally posted:

Woah, I want a scary wedding like that!

There have definitely been wedding deaths in Hollyoaks though. Max got hit by a car as he was walking to the reception, and some groom got shot during his first dance and they did a "who shot whatshisname?" storyline which went on forfuckingever.

Ahh I remember!

The person who shot the groom turned out to be the brides sister, who was carrying his unborn child! I can't remember why she shot him, though.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

The Chase with Bradley Walsh? It's good. Guy I knew from Uni went on it and got nearly all his questions wrong and never really lived it down. Mark is the one to avoid, the other ones are good but he's obviously the best.

Can't wait until it goes to the US and they find a way of getting a girl in a bikini on there somehow.

Yeah, Mark definitely lives up to his The Beast nickname. I remember seeing one a few weeks ago where only one guy got through to the end and Mark beat him with more than a minute left. Shaun's probably the best one to get because when he makes a mistake, he starts to bottle it and gets a few wrong.

Junkenstein posted:

They changed Pointless?

It happened a while ago, but changing the head-to-head to a pictures round ruins it because the game goes from knowing the most obscure to just picking the most obscure from the list. At least the second round usually requires the contestant to know something.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The tax thing is just what rich people do in this country. Personally I think it's inexcusable to get all up in an arseache over a self-made man like Carr doing it because David loving Cameron told you to.

I'm not a huge Carr fan, but as someone on Question Time asked, why is he being singled out as the epitome of tax avoidance evil? He's hardly the only person engaged in this kind of activity. I'm sure the current government's donor list includes several people avoiding taxes on a far larger scale than Carr.

Panorama ran a show a few weeks back detailing the tax avoidance schemes of several large corporations engaged in robbing the country of billions, but that got slightly less than gently caress-all coverage in the media. I'd speculate :tinfoil: that was because the same morally-outraged media outlets condemning Carr are probably funnelling huge chunks of their revenue through the same avoidance schemes that were exposed in the programme.

The Chase is good quizzing, although I usually only catch the tail-end of the show. It always surprises me how many people take the standard or reduced-risk deals instead of going for the highest offer, just to slightly increase their chance of making it to the final round.

Getting into the final round is great but you're more than likely to get your arse whipped by Mark or one of the other chasers and walk away with nothing - just as if you'd went for the highest offer during the individual chase and lost. Might as well go for the high-stakes chase during the one-on-one bit. If you lose, no big deal because you were probably going to get slaughtered in the final anyway. If you win, you're in the final with a much bigger pot. Your final chances are just as slim either way.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I'm not a huge Carr fan, but as someone on Question Time asked, why is he being singled out as the epitome of tax avoidance evil? He's hardly the only person engaged in this kind of activity. I'm sure the current government's donor list includes several people avoiding taxes on a far larger scale than Carr.

Panorama ran a show a few weeks back detailing the tax avoidance schemes of several large corporations engaged in robbing the country of billions, but that got slightly less than gently caress-all coverage in the media. I'd speculate :tinfoil: that was because the same morally-outraged media outlets condemning Carr are probably funnelling huge chunks of their revenue through the same avoidance schemes that were exposed in the programme.

The Chase is good quizzing, although I usually only catch the tail-end of the show. It always surprises me how many people take the standard or reduced-risk deals instead of going for the highest offer, just to slightly increase their chance of making it to the final round.

Getting into the final round is great but you're more than likely to get your arse whipped by Mark or one of the other chasers and walk away with nothing - just as if you'd went for the highest offer during the individual chase and lost. Might as well go for the high-stakes chase during the one-on-one bit. If you lose, no big deal because you were probably going to get slaughtered in the final anyway. If you win, you're in the final with a much bigger pot. Your final chances are just as slim either way.

I agree with you on the Carr stuff, but if your problem is low probability of taking home the pot the answer is to preserve probability, not the pot value :colbert:

boring gameshow contestants unite!

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Can someone explain the Carr tax thing to me? From what I read whatever he did was legal, so why is he having to apologize? Bear in mind I live in America, where it's basically assumed that wealthy people are involved in various schemes to pay as little taxes as possible.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Smeep posted:

Can someone explain the Carr tax thing to me? From what I read whatever he did was legal, so why is he having to apologize? Bear in mind I live in America, where it's basically assumed that wealthy people are involved in various schemes to pay as little taxes as possible.

He's big enough that people rightfully feel cheated by what he did (paying taxes here is less 'government is theft' like America and more 'pay your share') but small enough that the government could pick on him. It took less than five minutes for people to ask Cameron why he singled out Carr and not say, Philip Green, every member of his cabinet, his dad....

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Basically it's not cool that everyone pays taxes but rich celebrities don't, especially when they'd give a lot more in taxes than normal people. Everyone knows rich people avoid tax here, too, but Carr is a soft target that the media and government can lay into for a feel good indignation story without any real consequences.

Louie Spence was incredibly irritating on 8 out of 10 cats. He started by pretending to not know David Cameron's name in a 'tee hee I don't know about uncool things like politics' way. Then he made a moronic point of 'loads of bankers don't pay taxes and what do they do? At least Carr and Barlow entertain us' (yes, they shouldn't avoid tax, no it's not okay if we like the guys avoiding tax). And then predictably starts dancing. I know he was goaded into it, but he's like that impressionist who can't answer a question without showing off his talents - it's always shoe horned in and embarrassing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

Basically it's not cool that everyone pays taxes but rich celebrities don't, especially when they'd give a lot more in taxes than normal people. Everyone knows rich people avoid tax here, too, but Carr is a soft target that the media and government can lay into for a feel good indignation story without any real consequences.
Yeah, this. Its basically a chance for the government to look like they're on the side of public opinion when it comes to tax dodging, even though its blatant to everyone in the entire country that its empty lip service when they've taken a blind eye to the same thing when it involved party donors or their mates. They'll denounce more soft targets and "no comment" when asked what they're going to do about it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Has Carr ever touched on taxes during 10 O'Clock Live?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Pablo Bluth posted:

Has Carr ever touched on taxes during 10 O'Clock Live?

I think there was a sketch about Barclay's tax dodging?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXibReHW3UA
Nothing really damning in there, worst he gets is calling the accountants who think up these things "ruthless and bloodthirsty"

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Smeep posted:

Can someone explain the Carr tax thing to me? From what I read whatever he did was legal, so why is he having to apologize?
Because our media is loving terrible and everybody loves a bit of bandwagon jumping.

If I were Jimmy Carr I'd now spend all of the money I'd saved by hiring people to go through the finances of every Tory MP with a fine toothed comb.

PS, I hope nobody complaining about what Carr did has an ISA because hey you're investing your money smartly using legal low tax options, so you are morally indefensible apparently.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

FreakyZoid posted:

PS, I hope nobody complaining about what Carr did has an ISA because hey you're investing your money smartly using legal low tax options, so you are morally indefensible apparently.

You are Toby Young and I claim my 5 pounds.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Tax Free ISA != Offshoring.

One is an intentional government scheme to encourage saving amongst the population, and has quite modest limits. The other is a paper trick involving moving large volumes of money though a country for no reason than to avoid paying tax in the real country of business.

I think a lot of the fuss stems from the popular belief that most comedians tend to be left-wing and critical of things like tax dodging. Even if he never has, most people will probably assume that at some point Carr has performed jokes based on criticising the greed of the wealthy.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

They're both legal methods of paying less tax than you otherwise would. You want people not to be allowed to do it? Make it illegal. Or just go on TV bleating about morals or something vague like that, so you don't risk accidentally cutting off the same accounting tricks your chums and supporters use.

Don't really get the Toby Young reference, sorry.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

FreakyZoid posted:

They're both legal methods of paying less tax than you otherwise would. You want people not to be allowed to do it? Make it illegal.

Oh, right, I'll do that then. Thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Some people earn 2.4% tax free interest on modest savings, some people claim their salary is a loan from an offshore trust and pay £3k in tax from a £300k income. It's all the same, right guys? It's not as if one is a scheme being used as intended and the other is a shameless exploit.

I ate some VAT-exempt food this morning (a grapefruit) and I'm worried that makes me a tax dodger. :ohdear:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Private Eye confirmed serveral newspaper groups do this a few issues ago. I don't know which is more disappointing, the two-faced way that The Guardian condemns tax evasion then practices it anyway, or The Mirror which does it without comment.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

FreakyZoid posted:

Do you really believe this, or are you just trying to force through a pedantic point? ISAs are not a tax loophole, or an abuse of the system?

"You can't complain about it if it's not illegal". Honestly, you don't believe that so why bother with this argument?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not the biggest fan of Carr, but fick the media for just fixating on him and not the real arses who get away with this and screw the system much much more.

Might kill off 10 O'Clock Live but that is all for the best. It is a bit poo poo and dragging everyone down with it.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Can anyone who watched Graham Norton last night confirm that Miriam Margolyes was telling the truth when she said she once gave a 'helping hand' to a public masturbator ? :psyduck:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yeah, I definitely masturbate in public all the time son and one time who was in front of me but Miriam Margolyes and you'd better believe she couldn't resist a small piece of that :smug:

:ughh:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Can anyone who watched Graham Norton last night confirm that Miriam Margolyes was telling the truth when she said she once gave a 'helping hand' to a public masturbator ? :psyduck:

Uhm, I don't think anyone can confirm the truth of that besides the guy who it happened to.

Trin Tragula posted:

Yeah, I definitely masturbate in public all the time son and one time who was in front of me but Miriam Margolyes and you'd better believe she couldn't resist a small piece of that :smug:

:ughh:

Oh there he is, that was quick.

Greg Davies was awful in that Graham Norton show. He is supposed to be a comedian but he only had one joke for most of the show (the sponsored swim one). The play between Will and Miriam was funny though. I liked their poles apart bromance.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
It was possibly just the edit but it seemed to me that both he and Graham were willingly taking a backseat to enjoy the amazing chemistry between William and Miriam.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I was in the room for the Match of the Day ending montage, which had a weird folksy cover of Linkin Park's "In The End" over it. What's with the trend of covering songs into different genres? Seem to see it used a lot in ads for TV shows.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I first noticed it with the ad for whatever-it-was that had the ballad-esque piano cover of Pixies. I turned MOTD off as soon as that song came on, I'm sick of them already.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I first noticed it with the ad for whatever-it-was that had the ballad-esque piano cover of Pixies. I turned MOTD off as soon as that song came on, I'm sick of them already.

Not sure I've seen that, what song?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Where is my Mind, and it was really quite good - the trend it apparently set, not so much. I'll try to find the ad, but as you would expect I have no idea what it was advertising.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--lZP1c28g

Still no idea what the ad was but it's this version I think.

e2: changed to the right version, the advert had no singing though, Thomson holidays apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8B1ZNv9m4s

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 24, 2012

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They had a folk version of Thriller the other day that wasn't so bad. That Linkin Park one was terrible; so I suppose it was apt for England's Euro campaign.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I was in the room for the Match of the Day ending montage, which had a weird folksy cover of Linkin Park's "In The End" over it. What's with the trend of covering songs into different genres? Seem to see it used a lot in ads for TV shows.
Someone in the MotD production crew is a metal fan, I'm sure of it. I've heard Machine Head doing the opening montage one week.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
My advertising pet peeve these days is O2 using Little Boxes. A lovely song that shouldn't be used to sell SIM cards (shows about MILF weed are a-ok).

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Semprini posted:

Someone in the MotD production crew is a metal fan, I'm sure of it. I've heard Machine Head doing the opening montage one week.

For the build up to the England/Germany game at the 2010 World Cup, they used Rammstein's Du Hast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
Saw a British Airways Olympics advert today using The Clash's London Calling, lyrics and all.. What?

They cut out the line about wheat growing thin though!