Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

I want to play D3 so badly, but I just don't have time or a machine to play it on.

I'm just trying to let it roll off my back, but it's really hard at times because that's just not really my personality. I've worked really hard to help acclimate the new 4th years (and the summer clinics people) to our part of the vmth and I work really hard in general, and it really sorta hurts to have residents/faculty come ask me why I haven't done things that I wasn't asked to do/weren't my responsibility. I'm the person who is first there and last to go, every day, and I'm always happy to lend a hand to someone who needs some help. All they have to do is ask because I'm not a mind reader. Ah well. I need to get more sleep so I'm less emotional and just get through the next few days without people thinking I'm a tragic case of someone who ate lead paint as a child and managed to get into vet school.

Dang dude. I don't really know any sage advice I could give ya. I tend to bounce between passive and confrontational in those situations - means I either give one word answers or several sentences with emotional facial expressions and the solo eyebrow lift.

Otherwise, keeping yourself as physically and mentally stable as possible is extremely important in clinics. I don't know the number of people I've been trying to tell that to - to not stay up every night until 2am doing records and reading on cases for the next day, or dwelling on bad things (I'm guilty of that sometimes) - because it's simply not worth doing that to yourself.

But if you need to :rant:, that's what we're here for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
This Saturday, the interns are having a party at midnight to celebrate their intern year officially ending and their work visas officially expiring. I am conveniently working night shift that week, so I will get to partake in the cake and champagne! I'll really miss this batch of interns. This means I'll have to now spend a bunch of overnights with the new interns while they freak the hell out.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

The semester ends and you all disappear? WTF?

trying to forget that I'm a vet student for a little while

summer plans!!

Going to Pittsburgh, PA (my hometown) to do an externship with a neurologist there for 2 weeks at the end of July, then in the middle of August doing another 2 week summer clinic in our Neurology/Neurosurgery service.

Other than that just chillin, working at the microbiology lab at the VMTH and reffing hockey games on the weekends and just generally having fun. :)

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Oral exam down, one more to go on Monday!
Got asked about bird/reptile renal anatomy and physiology, muscles of mastication comparison in carnivore vs herbivore + innervation (forgot pterygoid muscle even existed), thyroid histology and function, and brain/meninges anatomy and function. Phew.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I have a pretty good one for you guys. I called in a client the other day, who was very concerned about a potential anal abscess on her female dog. The vet was stumped, until the owner pointed with much concern to the dog's vagina...

:suicide:

Official Bizness posted:

Request for some honest input! If I were to undergo Penn-Foster's vet assistant course, is that really on the same level as a diploma from a brick and mortar school?

Catching up with this thread, I just read this post. Was a while back, and you don't have PMs.

If you are referring to the "certification," it is absolutely not worth it. However, if you are referring to the 2-year degree offered by AMVA accredited schools, be aware that some clinics may look down on an online degree. I really do think its much better to actually GO to a school. That said, I personally am unable to physically go to a school so I am halfway done with an online program right now. In one more year I will become an LVT. :)

Do not do schooling online if you have better, local options. But if you have to, do not go with Penn-Foster, it is terrible. I recommend my school - San Juan College. In order to be in the program, however, you must work at a clinic. A licensed/certified/registered technician or a doctor must sign off on certain tasks completed in clinic, you must log clinic hours, and you have to take videos of you performing tasks. The AMVA is constantly scrutinizing the program, and they improve it every year. I am flying to Texas next year for a week to work with the veterinarians in the program at their laboratory and farm. Fun stuff.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Depending on where you live you don't really need to take a class to be an assistant. In fact, if you're going to take courses I'd just go all the way and get your certification as a vet tech.

I'm pretty new to this, though. I have 4 years or so experience being an assistant and I'm getting back into the field and I just feel like most of what I do I can learn very well on the job.

Pladdy
Oct 31, 2010
I'm in College Station this summer and I have a few questions:

1. How do you guys who go to Texas A&M stand this heat? This place is ridiculous.
2. I'm going to be a senior in college this year and trying to see if I can apply to vet school this cycle. This is a somewhat recent idea for me, so I have no vet experience, but I do have a lot of other animal experience. I've got a position lined up for when I get home in August, but does anyone know a place where I could get some experience before then? I've called all the veterinary offices in the area but couldn't find anything. It would be nice to get some hours in before then because the deadline to apply is quickly approaching and I want to see if I really want to go to vet school.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Pladdy posted:

1. How do you guys who go to Texas A&M stand this heat? This place is ridiculous.
2. I'm going to be a senior in college this year and trying to see if I can apply to vet school this cycle. This is a somewhat recent idea for me, so I have no vet experience, but I do have a lot of other animal experience. I've got a position lined up for when I get home in August, but does anyone know a place where I could get some experience before then? I've called all the veterinary offices in the area but couldn't find anything. It would be nice to get some hours in before then because the deadline to apply is quickly approaching and I want to see if I really want to go to vet school.
1) Texas.
2) I got lots of my vet experience through volunteering at the vet clinic in an animal shelter. It was hard work and free work and often depressing work, but I learned a lot.

Not having any vet experience so late in the game might make it a little tough for you for this year's cycle unless you have a lot of research experience with animals. They want to make sure you know what you're getting into. Make sure you address that in your personal statement.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Pladdy posted:

1. Yes it is bad.
2. When you called around to clinics, were you asking about a job or just volunteering/shadowing? It can be pretty hard to find a vet-related job in College Station due to the huge number of pre-vet and vet students, especially a temp summer job, especially without experience. If you didn't already try this, I'd call around to clinics and ask about shadowing or volunteering. Even better, take a resume and cover letter to clinics in person, and explain that you're a student interested in vet school. You may also want to try clinics outside of Bryan/CS that you'd be willing to drive to. The Brazos Animal Shelter always needs volunteers, but that will probably be more "animal experience" than "veterinary experience".

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Pladdy posted:

Not from Texas (but it's hot here in PA too!) but I'm applying this cycle as well and I had the same issues as you when it came to finding a place to get experience. None of the local clinics had job openings and they wouldn't accept volunteers because they don't want any non-staff behind the closed doors, I think for insurance reasons. I managed to get a temporary position cleaning kennels and eventually giving injections during vaccine clinic which helped but I think I was pretty lucky there.

Since you're in college I would definitely recommend trying to get a research assistant position in a laboratory working with animals if your university conducts that kind of work. You'd probably be working with rodents but all of the work is supervised by the campus veterinarian meaning that you could list it as veterinary experience on the application. This is the route I have been taking but I can't tell you if it's good enough to get into vet school until later this year (finger's crossed!)

By the way if it's at all feasible for you I would consider waiting a year to apply so you can gather some veterinary experience with your new position. The VMCAS application opened a few weeks ago and deadline's in October (as you know) so there might not be enough time to get some good experience/solid letter of recommendation by then. A year ago I was in the same boat as you; I wanted to apply but had just lined up a position as a lab animal tech in the summer so I decided to use the upcoming year for experience in preparation for next year's cycle. If your grades are really good though (mine aren't...) then the experience might not hurt you too much if you wanted to try this cycle. Also make sure you have all the pre-requisite courses in case you're not a life sciences major but I'm assuming you probably are.

Good luck!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Man, how do you guys remember all of this stuff? I'm a kind-of-rusty veterinary assistant in the market for a job in a different state I was trained in. I'm trying to read up and remember all the state legislative stuff and I'm just overwhelmed.

I've been doing self-study by reading vet tech textbooks and I'm just overwhelmed.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Crooked Booty posted:

You got here just in time for record high temps! 109 here yesterday. :(

Are you at A&M?

I'm in Alvarado at the mixed animal clinic up here. Middle of nowhere. It's way less hot than I thought it would be though...

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

Shnooks posted:

Man, how do you guys remember all of this stuff? I'm a kind-of-rusty veterinary assistant in the market for a job in a different state I was trained in. I'm trying to read up and remember all the state legislative stuff and I'm just overwhelmed.

I've been doing self-study by reading vet tech textbooks and I'm just overwhelmed.

Split it into manageable chunks, set a schedule, quiz yourself, draw things, anything to stimulate interest. Just learn it once then re-learn it in different ways. Make flash cards, board games, mind maps, whatever you have to do to get it in. Generally the more visual you can make the material the better you will retain it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

I also found that having people to talk it over with really helps - either discussion or (especially) teaching. Not just "oh hey, let's recite the Krebs Cycle again," but put into a case perspective.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Ear plugs help keep it all in once you get it there.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Dr. Chaco posted:

Ear plugs help keep it all in once you get it there.

Oh good, I have a box of 200 earplugs from when I was living with my ex. I'm going to remember everything!

Just out of curiosity, what do you think clinics expect out of techs? I feel like I get mixed messages at every interview I go to. Some want me to do a little bit of everything, some want me to just basically draw blood all day.

I had a really weird interview where the guy wasn't even entirely sure why I was there (I don't think he read my resume before hand, considering he asked me if I even graduated HIGH SCHOOL).

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Unfortunately, every clinic is different. I worked one place where the doctors had the techs/assistants do a lot of things, including holding animals during the exam (I think this is not terribly common), drawing blood, placing IVs, setting up surgery, monitoring anesthesia, treatments on hospitalized patients, vaccines and other injections. We also answered phones, occasionally acted as a receptionist, typed and filled prescriptions, mopped floors, and changed lightbulbs (I was the tallest). Other places, the doctor may do more of the procedural stuff (eg, draw blood themselves). In my opinion, the doctor's time should be too valuable to be doing things a tech can do quite well, if the techs are available, but every clinic is a little different. Some places will also have more techs or more vet assistants, so the types of tasks will be a little more split along those lines.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Oh good, I have a box of 200 earplugs from when I was living with my ex. I'm going to remember everything!

Just out of curiosity, what do you think clinics expect out of techs? I feel like I get mixed messages at every interview I go to. Some want me to do a little bit of everything, some want me to just basically draw blood all day.

I had a really weird interview where the guy wasn't even entirely sure why I was there (I don't think he read my resume before hand, considering he asked me if I even graduated HIGH SCHOOL).

Agreeing with Chaco on this one: it depends a lot on the clinic. What the chief vet thinks people should do, how staffing works out, and what skills you can bring to the table and demonstrate are all major factors into determining what you end up doing.

Some vets who just want to do everything. I tend to think of those as the ones who were techs in a previous life and just continue doing things out of habit/not wanting to forget learned skills. There are some who are "holier than thou" in terms of wanting to do everything themselves, but I'd consider that a rarity.

There are some clinics where staffing is limited. There may be only 1 vet and 1 tech - and depending on your relationship with the vet can determine how much (or how little) you end up doing.

That said, I'd expect a newly minted tech to:
- Draw blood (from several sources), place catheters (IV or urinary), IM/IV/SC injections, surgical prep, surgical assist (as needed, usually things like retracting/handing instruments... so knowing you won't faint would be a plus), knowledge of surgical equipment (in case I yell out, "I need a debakey/brown adson/hemoclip now!"), basic cytology/smears/urine sediment, appropriate animal restraint, good client communication, "animal interaction," and maybe a few other things I can't come up with at the moment.

A more experienced tech you'd add routine dentals, some minor ultrasound usage (more with experience), advanced cytology (aspirate samples, etc.), wound repair (suture or bandage) - most of these with veterinarian oversight - and making sure I'm not completely full of poo poo on my treatment plans.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yeah, at my old job where I was an assistant the vet did 90% of the work. It was a 1 doctor, 1 tech practice and she liked being hands on.

With all that said, what about an assistant? that's where most of my experience is. Of course I'm willing to learn everything I need to to become a technician in the future but going and getting certified isn't going to happen right now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Of an assistant, I'd expect:
Appropriate animal restraint (of most animals, certainly not the crazy ones), routine blood draws (not like on a dehydrated kitten or anything, and that comes with experience), SC/IM injections, and the rare surgical assist (holding instruments in place, but not necessarily knowing their names), and then clinic upkeep (cleaning, stocking, etc.).

With an assistant, you may just start with some animal restraint - or even just the clinic upkeep. Really, as time goes on at the clinic you work at, you'll know if the techs/docs are willing to put the effort into teaching you more things or letting you do more things. It also counts as to what your attitude and interactions with the staff - if you're happy and helpful, even with the most menial of tasks, I see people be far more amenable to showing the "cooler" things an assistant can learn. In addition, if they know you're looking to do technician schooling, they may be more inclined to teach you things.

At the clinic I worked at before vet school, I was an assistant. I told them I wanted to go to vet school. Because of that, they were more likely to teach me things than the other assistants.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Of an assistant, I'd expect:
Appropriate animal restraint (of most animals, certainly not the crazy ones), routine blood draws (not like on a dehydrated kitten or anything, and that comes with experience), SC/IM injections, and the rare surgical assist (holding instruments in place, but not necessarily knowing their names), and then clinic upkeep (cleaning, stocking, etc.).

With an assistant, you may just start with some animal restraint - or even just the clinic upkeep. Really, as time goes on at the clinic you work at, you'll know if the techs/docs are willing to put the effort into teaching you more things or letting you do more things. It also counts as to what your attitude and interactions with the staff - if you're happy and helpful, even with the most menial of tasks, I see people be far more amenable to showing the "cooler" things an assistant can learn. In addition, if they know you're looking to do technician schooling, they may be more inclined to teach you things.

At the clinic I worked at before vet school, I was an assistant. I told them I wanted to go to vet school. Because of that, they were more likely to teach me things than the other assistants.

Cool, that's kind of exactly where I'm at right now. Most of the clinics I've interviewed at seemed OK with training me because I've expressed interest in getting certified.

I'm a bit more confident in my abilities now, thanks guys :shobon: hopefully I can get a job soon

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Shnooks, check out this website, it may be quite helpful: https://www.atdove.org/

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

YourCreation posted:

Shnooks, check out this website, it may be quite helpful: https://www.atdove.org/

Whoa, this is overwhelming. Thank you so much. I have two "working" interviews at some clinics next week. Wish me luck :unsmith:

Edit: Wait, do I have to be with a practice to register for this? I'm not with one right this moment.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Just get creative 8)
Don't be afraid to ask questions about how much exposure/mentoring you will get at the clinic. Show them what you've got, let them know you are a hard worker, and ask who will help you build on your weak points.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Boo, that site is awesome but a lot of the videos are for premium users which is $300 a year :( I'd shell out but I'm kind of in between jobs. I like the videos, though, so I guess I'll peruse youtube

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you're looking for another site for tech/assistant stuff, you could also check out http://www.vspn.org/. It's a sister site to VIN (Veterinary Information Network), and the thing that caught my eye is the FREE thing (with registration). I haven't looked around it much at all. Sounds similar to VIN in that it has message boards, CE, and handouts on various things.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

VSPN was an amazing help to me over the last five years. Everyone there is so brilliant and supportive.

AtTheDove must have just introduced that because they were a free site when I joined.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you're looking for another site for tech/assistant stuff, you could also check out http://www.vspn.org/. It's a sister site to VIN (Veterinary Information Network), and the thing that caught my eye is the FREE thing (with registration). I haven't looked around it much at all. Sounds similar to VIN in that it has message boards, CE, and handouts on various things.

Lol this place rejected my application because I am currently not a veterinary technician and assistant. Oh well!

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Here's my thoughts:

Trained assistant: I expect them to be able to hold animals and not get me or them bitten.

Eventually, I expect them to draw blood, give pills, give IM, SQ, and IV injections, take temp, pulse, and respiratory rate, work the computers, answer phones, and clean kennels and equipment.

LVT: I expect all the above, plus ability to monitor anesthesia and warn me of varying trends or areas of concern, ability to train assistants, knowledge of sterile procedure (to help in surgery if needed), and analysis of stocking / ordering. I also expect knowledge of controlled substance laws, since they'll probably be doing the inventories for DEA.

However, I worked at a practice that wanted the doctors to diagnose, prescribe, and do surgery (since those are the things you must be a DVM to do), and techs to do everything else. It's skewed my perspective (in a good way).

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
If anyone cares the interview was an absolute blast. I forgot how much I missed doing this work. I asked a ton of questions about everything which I hope wasn't too annoying. I even got to see a yeast infection from a cat's ear under the microscope :D and I got complimented on my restraint skills :D

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Federal Trade Commission (USA) is looking into distribution of pet medications.

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=23335

One of the reasons this has been brought to the light is that legislation is on its meandering way through the US government that would require all veterinarians to write out prescription slips (at no charge) for medications that they recommend, whether the client asked for a slip or not. This is being heavily pushed by Wal-Mart (who really wants to sell you your pets medications), while being opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association (who would much rather have the vets sell the medications).

How do you all feel about this legislation?

I feel that this legislation is a complete grab for money by companies like Wal-Mart and has nothing to do with fairness (the legislation is called HR 1406 — The Fairness to Pet Owners Act of 2011). What's even worse is that the legislation would make it illegal for the veterinarian to charge for writing the prescription.

I have no problem with the idea of writing a prescription slip for a medication I want to send home as long as I know that the client will get that medication in a timely fashion. That's something I'm worried about - people either deliberately or simply forgetting to get the medication.

Here's the url to the bill itself:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:HR01406:@@@L&summ2=m&

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hello, a vet school question!

My girlfriend is about to finish her pre-vet bullshit, but she's gotten some B's in some of her chem/bio courses and obviously it's really easy to get shirked out of the running for vet programs, despite her other creds being pretty solid. Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 being the big things that she would prefer to have A's in.

The crux of the issue: i know a lot of people don't get in the first time, and we're totally ready if this happens to her based on the odds - so we're trying to put together a backup plan. The two primary options seem to be retaking the classes she has B's in, in an attempt to improve her grade, and finishing a chem degree, since she'll be relatively close due to all the past credits she accumulated through previous majors.

What do people recommend for admissions purposes? Basically, she is not terribly concerned WHICH accredited school she gets into, so much as whether or not she gets into one at all, so any advice for using an extra semester or whatnot for simply landing that sweet, sweet admissions letter is most appreciated.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
What does the rest of her application packet look like? GRE scores can be a big factor at some schools (as much as grades when I was admitted at UCD), and the amount/quality of veterinary experience can be important. If everything else was solid I wouldn't be too worried about a few Bs.

Personally, I would finish the chem degree instead of retaking Bs--I think some schools won't even let you retake classes with anything above a C. Finishing the degree demonstrates the perseverance necessary to complete big projects, is a bit different than all the bio majors, and could potentially be useful for something until vet school works out (research maybe?) or a back-up if it doesn't.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I also wouldn't worry about a few B's. I definitely had a few B's (and a C, in a 1 or 2 unit class... 3.48 woo) and got in to UC Davis.

One thing I learned from the vet school admission process is that who you know can take you FAR - I am pretty certain that my letters of recommendation are what pushed me over the edge.

If there is a time off period, taking the time to work on some quality letters of recommendation is what I'd recommend.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dr. Chaco posted:

What does the rest of her application packet look like? GRE scores can be a big factor at some schools (as much as grades when I was admitted at UCD), and the amount/quality of veterinary experience can be important. If everything else was solid I wouldn't be too worried about a few Bs.

Personally, I would finish the chem degree instead of retaking Bs--I think some schools won't even let you retake classes with anything above a C. Finishing the degree demonstrates the perseverance necessary to complete big projects, is a bit different than all the bio majors, and could potentially be useful for something until vet school works out (research maybe?) or a back-up if it doesn't.

She has been working in a clinic and doing volunteer work for several years. Has a good relationship/promised letter of rec from one of her upper-division bio/chem professors, already has a degree in Studio Art, had a career in marketing for several years, has a good relationship with at least one of the vets in her current clinic.

She will probably have letters of rec from her current vet/boss, and is considering getting a letter from her old boss at the advertising firm she worked at, under the assumption that showing proof of a successful professional career to go alongside vet-related studies is a good idea.

She has not yet taken the GREs.

That's basically the breakdown so far - what else should we be looking at?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I Love You! posted:

That's basically the breakdown so far - what else should we be looking at?

A kick-rear end personal statement. My vet school interview pretty consisted of a discussion about my personal statement with two professors.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
After 3 months of clinicians telling me I was being a paranoid vet student, it turns out my puppy (GSD mix :argh:) probably either has a sliding hiatal hernia or a vascular ring anomaly. Fluoroscopy next week. :(

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Crooked Booty posted:

After 3 months of clinicians telling me I was being a paranoid vet student, it turns out my puppy (GSD mix :argh:) probably either has a sliding hiatal hernia or a vascular ring anomaly. Fluoroscopy next week. :(

Vet student curse is a motherfucker. I'm sorry!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Enelrahc posted:

Vet student curse is a motherfucker. I'm sorry!

see: my dog having her second seizure less than 24 hours after I leave for an externship 3000 miles away. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

see: my dog having her second seizure less than 24 hours after I leave for an externship 3000 miles away. :argh:

Be a pro - do a csf tap in your bathtub using expired ketamine.

• Locked thread