Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Kreo picked up the Star Trek licence back in February. They're going to unveil things at SDCC apparently.

Is Kreo one of those Lego 'clones' that is about 1% of the quality of the real thing? If so, that sucks. Is Kreo even available in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

rockinricky posted:

Is Kreo one of those Lego 'clones' that is about 1% of the quality of the real thing? If so, that sucks. Is Kreo even available in the US?

Yes and yes. I've only ever seen it at Walmart and TRU, though.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I usually don't care about Lego clones either way, but I googled kre-o.
Did these turkey-jerks actually make a transformers line with robots that don't transform?

gently caress them.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Keep in mind though that competition is a good thing and helps to keep LEGO prices lower in the U.S. And Kreo makes some cool Transformers minifigs.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I thought Kre-o was some Chinese knock-off. They're made by Hasbro. What is the brick quality like? Is it as bad as Megabloks, or even worse?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

As I understand, Mega-Blok quality is up in the past couple years, while Kreo is about the Megablok quality you may recall from the 90s.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Sockser posted:

As I understand, Mega-Blok quality is up in the past couple years, while Kreo is about the Megablok quality you may recall from the 90s.

My nephew had a Megablok Pirates of the Caribbean set. The quality wasn't that great. I hope their quality has improved now that they have licenses to make sets based on Hot Wheels and Barbie. Gotta have good quality for those, especially Barbie. Barbie is a BIG moneymaker for Mattel. I found a website full of Megabloks info, it also said they have the Skylanders Giants license. The website is Blok City.

http://www.blokcity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mega_Bloks_Wiki

They also make sets based on Halo and Need For Speed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd say Kreo is better quality than Mega Bloks, to be honest. The clutch is good, the bricks feel near-Lego legit. I'd throw them in with my regular Lego, and it'd be all cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kreo just announced a line of transformers minifigs, blindpacked.

They're G1 Combiners, you can take them apart and combine them to form Predaking, Devastator, Superion, etc.

My wallet is doomed if they are more than 2.50 each.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Kreo just announced a line of transformers minifigs, blindpacked.

They're G1 Combiners, you can take them apart and combine them to form Predaking, Devastator, Superion, etc.

My wallet is doomed if they are more than 2.50 each.

Oh wow that is so bad rear end, that will be the closest I come to owning a Devastator anytime soon. Need to do a google hunt for a article or if pictures are out yet.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rythe posted:

Oh wow that is so bad rear end, that will be the closest I come to owning a Devastator anytime soon. Need to do a google hunt for a article or if pictures are out yet.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The transformations are hilarious. Theyre just lying on their faces.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What exactly do you expect a minifigure to do to transform, then?

I think they are perfectly fine, all things considered. At that scale, it would be next to impossible to do anything more complicated with something only a few pieces more complex than a lego collectible minifig.

This is of course assuming a price tag of less than three dollars. Anything more and they can go blow a goat.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Let's hope they are fairly easy to feel up and guess what is inside the package like the Lego ones are. I would be worried about how stable the combined form of the minis are. I have the Starscrean set (somebody hates me to get that instead of real Lego on my b-day) and the mini figs arms and legs have a huge range of motions and do not feel as sturdy as the Lego minfigs are. Regardless the combined forms look pretty good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They don't sell and have been going on clearance for 75% or more at times, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone grabbed it while it was five bucks.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The_Doctor posted:

Kreo picked up the Star Trek licence back in February. They're going to unveil things at SDCC apparently.

It's a shame, since Kreo is poo poo.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I feel I should make this clear, I have no problem with the minifigs not transforming. My problem is with the larger builds being either vehicle or robot, and not being able to transform between them. Maybe they would be more expensive, and definitely more complicated, but not impossible to make lego or lego-like transforming sets. There are plenty of MOCs out there of transforming robots.
It doesn't even have to be perfect, look at how many Macross themed builds people make that require you to move or replace the limbs.

I really think I'm just having memories of being disappointed when I was ten and I got new transformers from the action figure set that couldn't transform.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yo dawg, I've got JUST the toy line for you. They should be right up your alley.

be careful what you wish for

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I am completely willing to accept that I'm a horrible person with horrible wants and questionable taste.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I just got back into lego with an (un)fortunate visit to a lego store in January just to check things out, and I bought the new TIE because it looked pretty badass compared to the one I have with blue on it. Prior to that, I had picked up the occasional star wars ship, but hadn't picked up much since about 1994.

Since? I've bought...
The whole Avengers line
New Y-Wing, new X-Wing, new Falcon, Wampa Cave, midi Imperial Star Destroyer
Wolverine's Chopper
New Batmobile and Batwing
Lex Luthor's robot dealie
Queen Anne's Revenge, Black Pearl, and Isla de la Muerta

AND

My wife has bought every Harry Potter set since about 2010, including having to pay a little over retail for the Burrow and Hogwarts Express. Whenever she buys a new set (she got her first LotR set last night, Gandalf's Arrival), she's all "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME"

I think I have a problem :ohdear:

I just built the batwing and lex luthor bot last night, and all pieces involved had pretty impressive construction. I was really worried that the batwing was going to end up not being fun to play with, but compared to the construciton on the old star wars ships that I am used to everything I've bought recently has been really amazing for the most part (midi star destroyer being the extremely delicate exception).

Oh, also I have the newer model Slave I that I got for christmas a couple years ago, and Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship that I raided mostly for guns and is no longer on display because I'm out of space... but the pistols are great star wars heavy blasters (I added a half cylinder piece to the barrel of one to make a good DL44 replica for the Han that flies the Falcon), and the grey pistols that look like clone trooper kit and aren't used in the build have been repurposed into Black Widow's guns.

edit: Oh! I didn't even mention, my wife has a big collection of minifigs on her shelf at work. I should get a picture, but she has a lot of my star wars dupes, a bunch of dupes from Harry Potter sets, and assorted figs from those magnet 3 packs. I think there's probably like 30. They are sometimes arranged into good vs. evil, and occasionally people come by her office asking "is this where the epic battle between good and evil is?"

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 12, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Having your minifig collection at work is just asking for it to get yoinked by a janitor. I know that's happened to at least one Lego and one Transformer-collecting goons.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Invictus posted:

Having your minifig collection at work is just asking for it to get yoinked by a janitor. I know that's happened to at least one Lego and one Transformer-collecting goons.

For reasons that aren't worth getting into, it's not a concern in this case, but I worried about that too at first.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Xenomrph: Should have a chance to grab the ghost tommarow or saturday. Might just grab a handful for anyone else and keep the rest.

Amazon.de also has the new tie fighter down to 35, so do I get a third one, or a third and fourth one? ;(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ika posted:

Xenomrph: Should have a chance to grab the ghost tommarow or saturday. Might just grab a handful for anyone else and keep the rest.
Woop woop, awesome! :woop:

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Lego series 4 minifigures are discounted to 1,39 euro a piece on the dutch lego website.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ika posted:

Amazon.de also has the new tie fighter down to 35, so do I get a third one, or a third and fourth one? ;(

Is that the new glow in the dark ghost polybag? If so what do I need to do to get you to send me one of those?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Just gonna leave this here...

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
I will happily take one of those ghost bags should someone be able to ship them to the UK.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Nazzle, Rythe, shouldn't be a problem assuming the store I saw em in still has em. I"ll trade for any of the three S1 figures I am still missing (clown, nurse, cheerleader), or just paypal cost + shipping.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

beato posted:

Really happy this is a dinky little building and not a freestanding playset like Moria. Will probably cost a fortune.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I hope that's a light brick inside, and not just the lighting of the photo.

Also Ika I'm interested in buying a ghost off you if you pm me your paypal details.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

beato posted:

Oh man. First Tolkien set that is a must buy for me.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Also:

The sound you here is a dozen Cuusoo Rancor projects being flushed.

Not the most atractive set, but looks like a lot of bricks and I think looks kind of cool. Will also be expensive.

And I should probably give credit to BrickFanatics for the pic as they've merged with Brickbadger now (not that people using the raw page would have noticed).

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

beato posted:

This is gorgeous. Keeping my fingers crossed for a Rivendell set.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Gravy Jones posted:

Also:

The sound you here is a dozen Cuusoo Rancor projects being flushed.

Not the most atractive set, but looks like a lot of bricks and I think looks kind of cool. Will also be expensive.

That set seems really uninspired, however if you can fit Jabba's throne room on top...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This set looks poo poo especially next to Bag End.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Dr. Benway posted:

That set seems really uninspired, however if you can fit Jabba's throne room on top...

I'm assuming Jabba's Throne room fits on top, which was the rumor going about a day or two ago. So, as a standalone set it's pretty...boring, but the two combined is pretty cool. And let's be honest, this is probably the best they could do if they wanted to release a Rancor set.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
That was exactly my thought after I made my post. A throne room + Rancor cave with all the minifigs from both would probably exceed any reasonable budget.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Oh god, what am I going to do with five million clear cheese slopes? drat you, pick-a-brick wall :argh:

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Someone on Eurobricks found this picture of some unreleased Alien Conquest prototypes, they're speculating there may be a second wave:

(on the far left of course)