Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

We represent the Lollypop Guild!

The Lollypop Guild!

The Lollypop Guild!

Spent the past week cat-sitting for my dentist. There were theoretically three cats, but the only one that I saw was Daphne the Munchkin.

And in further pet nonsense, this is currently in our garage.

My father and I found her wandering the parking lot of the lake/wetland/reservoir area where we go walking. I'll be taking her to the Humane Society tomorrow - my parents don't want her and I can't keep her, as I'm starting grad school this fall. She's a lap kitty :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Need more pics of munchkin cat. :catstare:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Skizzles posted:

Need more pics of munchkin cat. :catstare:

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Looks just like my Animal!

Animal was white with a seal point nose and tail as a kitten, she looked just like Daphne when she was a young 'un.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Anyone know a reputable website that sells Timberwolf dog food? We have a client who's local store stopped carrying it so she has to drive pretty far to buy it, now.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I'm really interested in the coloration on those two, that subtly mottled effect. Is it basically a tortoiseshell siamese combo?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I'm really interested in the coloration on those two, that subtly mottled effect. Is it basically a tortoiseshell siamese combo?

According to the note left by her owner, Daphne is "mink colored", which is apparently a variation of siamese.

Cat Color Genetics posted:

Another set of mutations of color has been introduced with the Siamese and Burmese cats from Asia. The Burmese carries the gene for Sepia color (cb) and the Siamese carries the gene for Pointed color (cs). These are alleles at the albino (C) locus; when they are combined (cb/cs), as in the Tonkinese, "mink" colors are produced.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yay! My application went through without a hitch. Look at who I shall be meeting up with on Friday:

I hope she likes me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
How handsome! :3: Congrats.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

More awful craigslist pet things!

Hm, a live animal for a sweet rear end dagger or a "music thing". And it's for their 2 year old. Sounds legit. :v:

e: it didn't break tables in the preview :(

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
Argh I've had my own poopocalypse today. A cat pooped outside of the litter box, which none of them have ever done before. I went around investigating my cats and found a smelly, horribly poop covered culprit. Why did it have to be the only long haired cat, whyy?

He suffered the tragedy of a bath. A disgusting, messy bath. His butt is red and he's really sensitive about it being touched, so he must hurt. Vet appointment made. Cleaning everything that has been touched by poop. So much poop. :qq:

I feel so cruel for bathing him because he looked so sad. He's such a sweet boy and didn't even try to bite or scratch me, just sadface escape attempts. Ugh he's my favorite little boy, why is there something wrong with his butt? :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

WolfensteinBag posted:

Anyone know a reputable website that sells Timberwolf dog food? We have a client who's local store stopped carrying it so she has to drive pretty far to buy it, now.

Don't know of one, but it's worth asking Petflow to carry it, they have an item request dealy.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

It took two trips to the shelter and a stop at the township office to get a voucher, but stray kitty is now safely ensconced at the Human Society. Now I just have to decide if I'm brave enough to call in this evening for an update.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Up the road from my house is a gnarled old apple tree in the middle of the median of a busy road. Every year I watch the apples fall on the ground and rot or roll into the street and get squished. It seems so wasteful! So this year I decided to hike over there and collect some. I ended up with about a pound of tiny, firm, bittersweet apples. They weren't good to eat out of hand, so I decided to bake them into something.

Husker approved.

He wants them so bad :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Random dog question. How common is it for a dog to not be able to wake up quickly? I'm used to most dogs just popping up the instant you walk in a room, but my dog has these weird stages where he'll whimper and twitch in his sleep and when I try to wake him up, it requires a lot of effort, loud voices, and paw or ear tugging/squeezing. He never bolts up either, just kind of opens his eyes and looks dazed for a second. I'm wondering if I should see a vet about it. :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

How old is he? My older dog has been like that since we got her when she was four, but she's become an even heavier sleeper as she's gotten older.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm not sure to be honest, the shelter we got him from 2 years ago said he was 10, but I have no idea. Vet says he's between 4 and 8 (I don't think they had any idea either). Hasn't had this problem until about 6 months ago.

I'm not too worried about it, just trying to be cautious in case it's something I need to keep an eye on. Other than that he's healthy.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Sometimes Koji is the hardest loving dog to get up. You can even pick him up to set him on his feet and if he doesn't want to wake up and go he will go deadweight and just lay back down in bed (read:thump back in bed). Sometimes he'll get out really excited for something but other times we have to literally shove or practically toss him on his feet to get him up. v:shobon:v

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
My cat Chief sleeps like the dead and he's done it ever since he was a tiny kitten. For the first few months it freaked me out to the point where I'd wake up in the middle of the night and hold a mirror in front of his nose just to see if he was breathing. Nowadays (he's six) I like to mess with him by lifting and dropping his legs and pushing him around the bed. :3:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bear Rape posted:

Random dog question. How common is it for a dog to not be able to wake up quickly? I'm used to most dogs just popping up the instant you walk in a room, but my dog has these weird stages where he'll whimper and twitch in his sleep and when I try to wake him up, it requires a lot of effort, loud voices, and paw or ear tugging/squeezing. He never bolts up either, just kind of opens his eyes and looks dazed for a second. I'm wondering if I should see a vet about it. :(

Your dog is dreaming. It takes a bit to wake someone out of a dream and dogs are the same way.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
This is Maddie, my friend's 8 year old Vizsla, who is adjusting well to having a new baby in the house and not being the baby herself anymore.

Did I say adjusting well? That's the baby's toy. So maybe not so much.

Well, it WAS the baby's toy.

Waiting patiently for a treat:
http://youtu.be/y8pZEm_EsCY
This is awesome! She's decided it's her job to keep the pool free of leaves, so anytime she spots one floating, she jumps in and scoops it up. Notice her grabbing it while she's swimming, then dropping it on the concrete as she gets out. :3:
http://youtu.be/IsoIUj3GjBE

Amberlyn fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 25, 2012

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
What a silly dog :3: I have a feeling that she will be best buds with the kid once she's old enough.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Amberlyn posted:

This is Maddie, my friend's 8 year old Vizsla, who is adjusting well to having a new baby in the house and not being the baby herself anymore.

Did I say adjusting well? That's the baby's toy. So maybe not so much.

Well, it WAS the baby's toy.

Waiting patiently for a treat:
http://youtu.be/y8pZEm_EsCY
This is awesome! She's decided it's her job to keep the pool free of leaves, so anytime she spots one floating, she jumps in and scoops it up. Notice her grabbing it while she's swimming, then dropping it on the concrete as she gets out. :3:
http://youtu.be/IsoIUj3GjBE

Ahaha, that second video is so adorable. :3: It's like having an automated pool cleaner! Wanna pat that good girl. :kimchi:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Bear Rape posted:

I'm not sure to be honest, the shelter we got him from 2 years ago said he was 10, but I have no idea. Vet says he's between 4 and 8 (I don't think they had any idea either). Hasn't had this problem until about 6 months ago.

I'm not too worried about it, just trying to be cautious in case it's something I need to keep an eye on. Other than that he's healthy.

Any change in how he responds to voice commands or sounds when he's awake?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

And both of these cats look like they are pointed tortoiseshell cats, yes. I personally would think that the non-Munchkin one is probably tortie + regular colorpoint restriction (aka the 'siamese colorpoint') and the Munchkin is tortie + mink like the owner says. This is based on the eye colors and the progression (I assume that adventure's avatar is the progression). Siamese colorpoint restriction cats start off white and darken, whereas the sepia and mink restricted cats generally start off a little bit darker than the colorpoint ones. The ones with the siamese colorpoint restriction also tend to have deep pale blue to dark blue eyes whereas the sepia and mink are more blue-green/aqua to pale green/green-yellow.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 25, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The rats left a bunch of fruit chunks and spelt pasta on their top shelf, and I'm cleaning the cage, so I let Husker clean up the leftover food. He is a fan of this.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Topoisomerase posted:

tortie + regular colorpoint restriction (aka the 'siamese colorpoint') This is based on the eye colors and the progression (I assume that adventure's avatar is the progression). Siamese colorpoint restriction cats start off white and darken. The ones with the siamese colorpoint restriction also tend to have deep pale blue to dark blue eyes

Yep, my avatar is Animal aging. She was pure white, maaaaybe slightly cream as a kitten. Her eyes have always been pale blue. She was literally plucked off the street and brought to me, I'm sure she is from the common-er end of this colour's background :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ I'd always wondered about your avatar. How neat!

edit: Ahem, ladies~

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 25, 2012

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I sprained my ankle at work last night and have been laid up in bed all day. Rory has been Very Concerned. My boyfriend tried to walk him while I was sleeping and apparently he wouldn't leave the bed :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Some of the dogs got to meet a friend's baby today. Guthrie and Lucy are old hats when it comes to kids and Nori needed the exposure so those were the lucky three!

At one point, Nori picked up one of his toys and brought it to Logan, then licked his toes :3:

He didn't know what to think of Lucy

Guthrie's tail wagging was super fascinating

And kisses were not welcome

Nori was having trouble understanding why the tiny human wasn't running after him to play.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Dogtime.

This is Captain Jack. He was about to be euthanized because his overzealous mother basically licked his penis into nonexistence, but my family adopted him and he's quite fearless.

This is Rembrandt. he had the opposite problem- his penis is bigger than any of his legs and when it came out it wouldn't go back in. We got that fixed. he narrowly avoided being named Pickle.

But Tater is my favorite. I found her as a tiny worm-filled puppy abandoned on a curbside.

Tater pretty.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Hey guys, now you finally can get rid of your lawn mower for good, and replace it with the following animals of your choice!!!

http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/reduce-animal-unemployment-hire-a-goat/

I only need 267 chickens. So that means I only need to order another 259 to keep my lawn properly maintained.....

...and full of chicken poo poo.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Greycious posted:

Hey guys, now you finally can get rid of your lawn mower for good, and replace it with the following animals of your choice!!!

http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/reduce-animal-unemployment-hire-a-goat/

I only need 267 chickens. So that means I only need to order another 259 to keep my lawn properly maintained.....

...and full of chicken poo poo.

It would take me 73 sheep to mow my lawn in a day, only 49 to go. I could make it by next year! Of course I'm not sure how I'm keeping them just in my yard but who doesn't want free lawn mowing?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It says I would need 12 goats to do my whole property in a day.

My aunt offered me a pair of her little myotonic goats as a wedding gift, maybe I should have taken her up on it. Might be cheaper than paying some guy to come out and mow my lawn once a week in the summer...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I want to hire guinea pigs just so I can say I've hired guinea pigs. :stare:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

RazorBunny posted:

It says I would need 12 goats to do my whole property in a day.

My aunt offered me a pair of her little myotonic goats as a wedding gift, maybe I should have taken her up on it. Might be cheaper than paying some guy to come out and mow my lawn once a week in the summer...

My goats never touched my grass and just ate all my blackberry bushes and roses and muscodine vines.

They're great for clearing brush but mine just lol'd at grass unless I stuck them somewhere where there was literally nothing else to eat but that and hay. Then, they'd usually just eat hay. :mad:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Superconsndar posted:

My goats never touched my grass and just ate all my blackberry bushes and roses and muscodine vines.

They're great for clearing brush but mine just lol'd at grass unless I stuck them somewhere where there was literally nothing else to eat but that and hay. Then, they'd usually just eat hay. :mad:

If I don't force my goats to go outside they will happily sit around the barn all day hoping I will forget to close the grain bin and trying to figure out how to get into the hay I have put up. They have acres of lovely brush and berry bushes but gently caress that they want to sit on their asses and eat grain.

Their previous owner fed them a minimum of 2lbs of sweet grain mix a day each so I'm still working on breaking their goony habits.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Instant Jellyfish posted:

If I don't force my goats to go outside they will happily sit around the barn all day hoping I will forget to close the grain bin and trying to figure out how to get into the hay I have put up. They have acres of lovely brush and berry bushes but gently caress that they want to sit on their asses and eat grain.

Their previous owner fed them a minimum of 2lbs of sweet grain mix a day each so I'm still working on breaking their goony habits.

Oh, mine were this bad too. Rather than grazing, they'd butt, kick, bang on, and yell at the door to the room where I stored my hay and grain if I didn't keep them so far away from it they temporarily forgot about it. They also wanted dog kibble and would butt my pyrenees away from his food if I wasn't there to stop them at meal times.

One of them got into some paint once, and decided that he really wanted to eat paint from that day forward. If he found anything resembling a paint can he'd kick it while shrieking at the top of his lungs in an attempt to find paint inside.

Goats are infuriating because they just go :downs: at you while going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" at 1k decibels if you try to stop them from doing/eating something completely stupid.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Oh, mine were this bad too. Rather than grazing, they'd butt, kick, bang on, and yell at the door to the room where I stored my hay and grain if I didn't keep them so far away from it they temporarily forgot about it. They also wanted dog kibble and would butt my pyrenees away from his food if I wasn't there to stop them at meal times.

One of them got into some paint once, and decided that he really wanted to eat paint from that day forward. If he found anything resembling a paint can he'd kick it while shrieking at the top of his lungs in an attempt to find paint inside.

Goats are infuriating because they just go :downs: at you while going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" at 1k decibels if you try to stop them from doing/eating something completely stupid.

So they are even more annoyingly mentally deficient than a lot of the animals we've managed to domesticate, is what you are saying.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So finding the perfect squeaky toy for George has become a bit of an obsession for me. He's very picky about the sound but now I have a good idea of what he loves. Any time I am in a store with a dog toy aisle I find myself systematically working my way down it, squeaking anything that's big enough. I have developed an ear for squeaks like wine connoisseurs develop their palates. Then once I find a promising candidate I evaluate it carefully, trying to figure out if it will last more than one training session, if it has the appropriate squish factor, if it's big enough for him to really get a good bite on. More often than not, I put it back.

I only realized how weird this is today when I spent about 20 minutes doing this at Target. The girl who was stocking the aisle looked at me like I was mad. I wanted to tell her that this was nothing, she should have seen me the time I spent 2 hours toy shopping at Petsmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Reading 2tomorrow's post made me very happy to be the owner of a deaf dog for a moment.

• Locked thread