Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, the Classic Turtles loving rule. They have so much articulation. Radical! Tubular! Awesome! Cowabunga, dudes!

Are they going to make classic versions of any other characters? I'd love a classic shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bushifox posted:

Are they going to make classic versions of any other characters? I'd love a classic shredder.

I haven't heard anything, but I would kill for a classic Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, Casey Jones, Baxter Stockman, Metalhead... gently caress, just make a whole classics Turtles line like Transformers, G.I. Joe and He-Man, please.

These guys are wickedly well articulated. They even have individually moving fingers and toes! However I kinda wish they came with alternate heads to put on with different expressions. Since they all have angry looks on their faces, they're kinda limited to battle poses. Donatello also has some derpy eyes, and he was the least derpy one I could find at TRU.

But throw in some extra faces, some of those extra weapons that came on the sprue with the old figures, and maybe add a pizza or two for accessories, and these would be the ultimate turtle figures.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 11, 2012

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

loving Matty. I say I'm done with you, I know I'm done with you, and then you go and make this...

I can't resist Zur-En-Arrh, you assholes. He's even got a little Bat-Radia. God drat it :eng99:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wish they had gotten Michael Ironside back to do the voice again for the movie :sigh:

TDKR Batman with an Ironside voice chip in it would get my wallet flying open.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Jesus, the articulation on those is atrocious.

How so? It's pretty standard DCUC articulation, not bad at all for 6" figures, and better than the flimsy ball-jointed marionettes that a lot of Marvel Legends are.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Mattel is basically selling customs at this point.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How so? It's pretty standard DCUC articulation, not bad at all for 6" figures, and better than the flimsy ball-jointed marionettes that a lot of Marvel Legends are.

Well, there's a T crotch. It doesn't look like the knees are double jointed. At the very least, chest needs a ball joint. It just looks like one of my childhood star wars toys. Not every figure needs to have a crazy amount of joints, but I'd expect a batman figure to be able to do batman style poses.

Just to note my bias: I haven't owned a Mattel figure in years, also I have a Figma Samus Aran and SH Figuarts KR2 on my desk right now. Both contain ball joints, and both are capable of some pretty great poses.

Image taken from here

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I really want that Samus and upcoming Link figure but the price tag is just too big.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I really want that Samus and upcoming Link figure but the price tag is just too big.

I really want to collect SH Monsterarts, but Jesus, they're expensive. $80+ for Godzilla and $150 for King Ghidorah. Let's not mention that I'd want a bunch of monsters like Mechagodzilla, Gigan, etc. too.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Louisgod posted:

I preordered the Samus from Amiami like back in February and I think it came out to about $35, which is worth having a super posable Samus figure after like 20 years of waiting.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

One thing that's kinda setting off my insane nerd OCD, is that Mikey is sea green like the old action figures, but the other turtles have the same skin tone, so Mikey stands out. Either give them all the same skin tone, or make Leonardo olive green and Donatello brown...

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Did they use MOTUC He-Man body for that DKR figure? Look at the biceps, I'm pretty sure they did.

Does this mean we finally have a "Bat-Man" hero on Eternia?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Goon posted:

Did they use MOTUC He-Man body for that DKR figure? Look at the biceps, I'm pretty sure they did.

Does this mean we finally have a "Bat-Man" hero on Eternia?

Yup they did which is strange since they always said that the MOTU bodies were off limits to them. There is already a huge clamor for them to use it on the last member of the Metal Men.

Personally I am not digging the look. It doesn't do the character justice, the DCD version looked way better. I do like the new Batman head sculpt on the New 52 Batman though. Although I hear on a proper body it looks pinheaded.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Gammatron 64 posted:

One thing that's kinda setting off my insane nerd OCD, is that Mikey is sea green like the old action figures, but the other turtles have the same skin tone, so Mikey stands out. Either give them all the same skin tone, or make Leonardo olive green and Donatello brown...

Really? Looking at the picture at the top of the page, they all look like they have different colors.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mind you, the standards and construction of western and Japanese figures are pretty different. Western stuff doesn't quite hold a candle to stuff like D-arts, SH figuarts, revoltech, etc. That stuff is a lot higher end than the stuff that say, Mattel pumps out.

DCUC do have T-crotches, although they do have outward movement with a separate joint. Granted, that separate joint doesn't look so good if you want them to say, do a split or a flying kick or something.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Really? Looking at the picture at the top of the page, they all look like they have different colors.

You know, it does kinda look like that in the photo, but in person, Leo, Raph and Donny all seem to be the same shade, or at least, very, very similar shades. I think it's the lighting in the photo. I just find it weird that only Mikey is the same shade as the classic toys.

Leonardo was a sort of olive green, Raphael was a more regular green, Mikey was kind of sea green, and Donatello was brownish. I know, this is a really spergy thing to complain about.

And while I might nitpick about the colors, Donny's derpy eyes, and the lack of accessories and interchangeable heads, they really are great figures that are a load of fun. I fell in love with them when I first saw pictures, and I really hope playmates does more. I'm honestly surprised at how good they are - Playmates usually makes loving terrible toys that seem to be stuck in the 90's in terms of engineering.

The turtles are also bigger than what you'd expect. When they say they're 6" scale, they are literally 6" tall, so they're about as tall as DCUC and Marvel Legends when standing upright, and have a lot more bulk. So if you want them scaled with your comic figures, they're a little large as the turtles were a bit shorter than people, but they look all right next to MOTUC figures as those are a lot bulkier and a bit taller. They probably look good next to the 8" Classic Thundercats, but I didn't get any of those because I heard they weren't so good, plus I was never a big fan of Thundercats.

Their articulation is great, with double jointed elbows and knees, fully moving fingers and toes, fully opposable thumbs (!) thigh swivels, and waist joints, even though they have shells. All they are really missing are a 2nd joint for the bottom of the neck (the heads are on a single large ball joint) and ankle swivels. They are actually capable of reaching back and drawing their weapons from their holsters on their own, which is really rare in a toy. However, due to the way their crotches are shaped, they sit down in a really weird manner where they spread their legs way out, just like the old toys.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 12, 2012

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Went into a Walgreens on the way to my friends house yesterday because I needed to buy a new toothbrush. Passed through the toy aisle for the hell of it. They happened to have a GI Joe POC Alley Viper, and be selling him for $9.99 instead of $12.99 like GI Joe's tend to go for at the other Walgreens I've been to.

I still think $10 is a lot for a single Joe figure, but given that I haven't found an Alley Viper online for less than $15, I'm pretty happy.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mind you, the standards and construction of western and Japanese figures are pretty different. Western stuff doesn't quite hold a candle to stuff like D-arts, SH figuarts, revoltech, etc. That stuff is a lot higher end than the stuff that say, Mattel pumps out.
Though a lot of that is because the only action figures Japan seems to make are $30+ collector's stuff. For some reason, they really don't seem to have an equivalent for the "cheap action figures based on (insert popular property here)" thing we've always had.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, another weird thing about Japan is that for toys aimed at kids, they don't often do bad guys - Sentai toys are usually just the robots or rangers themselves, and no bad guys for them to fight. Transformers is kind of the exception to the rule, but Transformers was a joint American\Japanese thing, so I'm not sure if that one even counts, and they would have all just been personality-less Diaclone mechs if it wasn't for us.

I wonder how Japanese kids play with their toys, in that case. As a kid, I always wanted my dudes to have a bad guy to fight. Now I don't care, as I generally use them for display and posing. And DX Sentai mechs, while fun, don't have much articulation...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
When I was a kid, I mostly avoided bad guys. As a rule, I never owned any Decepticons because they were actual KILLERS, and genocidal ones at that. I did have a few of the cooler-looking COBRA members, and Dr. Doom and Magneto to go with my Secret Wars figures because they had a nobility to them. That mattered to me even when I was in elementary school.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, another weird thing about Japan is that for toys aimed at kids, they don't often do bad guys - Sentai toys are usually just the robots or rangers themselves, and no bad guys for them to fight.

Actually, they do figures with little to no articulation of the sentai villains. Basically cheap stuff for a kid to slam his kamen rider toy into. And if you're just talking SH Figuarts for-adults toys; Bandai does the villains as web exclusives.

edit: and back when they did Keshi figures (think M.U.S.C.L.E.), they made figures out of everyone possible since those were cheap as hell.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 12, 2012

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, another weird thing about Japan is that for toys aimed at kids, they don't often do bad guys - Sentai toys are usually just the robots or rangers themselves, and no bad guys for them to fight. Transformers is kind of the exception to the rule, but Transformers was a joint American\Japanese thing, so I'm not sure if that one even counts, and they would have all just been personality-less Diaclone mechs if it wasn't for us.

I wonder how Japanese kids play with their toys, in that case. As a kid, I always wanted my dudes to have a bad guy to fight. Now I don't care, as I generally use them for display and posing. And DX Sentai mechs, while fun, don't have much articulation...

I always wanted bad guy figs too, but supposedly in Japan, figures of the villains sell terribly, which is why Car Robots/RiD used so many repaints for the Decepticon figures, and why the current trend in Transformers media is for Decepticons to be a small handful of personalities commanding a palate-swappable clone army.

As for cheap Japanese toys I always got the impression that the soft vinyl/capsule toys were supposed to fulfill that market, but much like pretty much everything else it went the way of becoming an expensive collector's market.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Hot Toys Hulk up at Sideshow and the price ain't too bad, $299.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id...facebook_081012

Awesome sculpting, but at that price I would expect at least a grinning head option.

Still, fuckers 16.5 inches tall. That's on par with the MU Galactus. HE GONE BE BIG!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

If the recent Hasbro 3.75" Marvel movie lines have been any indication, the US market is no different when it comes to "no bad guys". The Iron Man 2 line didn't get a Whiplash figure (you know, the main villain of the movie) until the very last wave, and even then he showed up sparingly. It was pretty much the same with Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers.

This is the same company that does GI Joe and Transformers, so they have to know that bad guys sell just fine. :iiam:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If the recent Hasbro 3.75" Marvel movie lines have been any indication, the US market is no different when it comes to "no bad guys". The Iron Man 2 line didn't get a Whiplash figure (you know, the main villain of the movie) until the very last wave, and even then he showed up sparingly. It was pretty much the same with Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers.

This is the same company that does GI Joe and Transformers, so they have to know that bad guys sell just fine. :iiam:

Yeah, that's true, but it didn't used to be like that when I was a kid. Toy Biz Marvel had bad guys galore. I don't think it was much of a thing until the early 1980's when He-Man and G.I. Joe came out, but even before then, you had Mego Penguin and the Joker and a Klingon and Dracula and stuff.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Xenomrph posted:

Actually with Cap and Thor there were a good amount of Red Skulls and Lokis.

Avengers line went down the shitter though as you couldn't find the loving army builder of a bad guy! gently caress you!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LightsGameraAction posted:

Went into a Walgreens on the way to my friends house yesterday because I needed to buy a new toothbrush. Passed through the toy aisle for the hell of it. They happened to have a GI Joe POC Alley Viper, and be selling him for $9.99 instead of $12.99 like GI Joe's tend to go for at the other Walgreens I've been to.

I still think $10 is a lot for a single Joe figure, but given that I haven't found an Alley Viper online for less than $15, I'm pretty happy.

TRU & Target charge the same $10 for joes now, so I gave in and bought the Sgt. Stalker that hung at my CVS for-EVER.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 14, 2012

LabRat1
Apr 19, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really want to collect SH Monsterarts, but Jesus, they're expensive. $80+ for Godzilla and $150 for King Ghidorah. Let's not mention that I'd want a bunch of monsters like Mechagodzilla, Gigan, etc. too.

The figures are initially kind of expensive but they do go down in price after coming out. Both Godzilla and Mechagodzilla are going for $60 on amazon, Spacegodzilla is $70, and you can preorder King Ghidorah at some online stores for around $100. I have passed on some of the figures that I didn't really care about (Moguera and Little Godzilla), though with Burning Godzilla and Godzilla Jr. coming out my wallet will be taking a hit. I really hope they go back and do some of the older characters; I would love a Monsterarts Titanosaurus, Showa Mechagodzilla, and Angilas.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

LabRat1 posted:

The figures are initially kind of expensive but they do go down in price after coming out. Both Godzilla and Mechagodzilla are going for $60 on amazon, Spacegodzilla is $70, and you can preorder King Ghidorah at some online stores for around $100. I have passed on some of the figures that I didn't really care about (Moguera and Little Godzilla), though with Burning Godzilla and Godzilla Jr. coming out my wallet will be taking a hit. I really hope they go back and do some of the older characters; I would love a Monsterarts Titanosaurus, Showa Mechagodzilla, and Angilas.

I've been staying away from the line because of how expensive it is, but like you because of Burning Godzilla and King Ghidorah I feel myself getting sucked in.

I fear for the day they make a Biollante, they will have all my money. All of it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

loving Yes. After 23 years of waiting, it's finally mine. All metal, moving parts. And delivered on my birthday too :toot:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The Wal-mart near me is clearancing all of their Marvel Legends for $9. I guess the reboot of the line didn't last very long.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

gregday posted:

loving Yes. After 23 years of waiting, it's finally mine. All metal, moving parts. And delivered on my birthday too :toot:

That's loving beautiful. I know it doesn't shoot, but I have to ask... does it shoot? :allears:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

The Wal-mart near me is clearancing all of their Marvel Legends for $9. I guess the reboot of the line didn't last very long.

There is another wave coming out in September and two waves slated for 2013 thus far.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Nilryna posted:

That's loving beautiful. I know it doesn't shoot, but I have to ask... does it shoot? :allears:

No, but the cable reel does spin, the trigger works, and as you can see the two halves separate and click together.

Not gonna stop me from pointing it at everything in sight and going "Pssshew!" though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

gregday posted:

No, but the cable reel does spin, the trigger works, and as you can see the two halves separate and click together.

Not gonna stop me from pointing it at everything in sight and going "Pssshew!" though.

I haven't seen any updated pictures of your collection in a long time. Have you added anything else to it aside from the grappling gun?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

I haven't seen any updated pictures of your collection in a long time. Have you added anything else to it aside from the grappling gun?

Not really anything big. I've messed with the layout of my equipment case a little. This speargun is really the only Batman '89 prop I have. Everything else is from the Nolan films (mostly Begins).

I really like this picture:

And I did get a deck of Joker cards. Fan made replica, but casino quality. Some of the cards are super creepy.

And all the pictures are still up at http://gregday.org/batman

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Watched the Optibotimus review for the new TMNT sewer playset, and I can safely say that while I don't care to own it as an adult, if that thing had existed when I was a kid I would have wanted it more than anything in the universe. I would have begged my parents to get it for me, and then pissed myself with glee if they actually bought it. It's loving gigantic, and it looks like infinite hours of fun for kids.

I remember having the old Real Ghostbusters firehouse playset as a kid, goddamn was that thing loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Xenomrph posted:

Watched the Optibotimus review for the new TMNT sewer playset, and I can safely say that while I don't care to own it as an adult, if that thing had existed when I was a kid I would have wanted it more than anything in the universe. I would have begged my parents to get it for me, and then pissed myself with glee if they actually bought it. It's loving gigantic, and it looks like infinite hours of fun for kids.

I remember having the old Real Ghostbusters firehouse playset as a kid, goddamn was that thing loving awesome.

Yeah, the playset looks really cool. I picked up the Leo and Raph figures based on the new show, and they are great. I love the cool skin texturing, and they have just the right smount of articulation.