Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

In C++, which doesn't have type-tagged data, a class is a glorified struct.

RTTI (typeid/dynamic_cast) is equivalent to type-tagged data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

friendbot2000 posted:

I am trying to grasp the more complex concepts of programming so I can increase my skill set for my job. Plus its something I want to learn because I enjoy it. So here is my question and forgive me if asking it makes me appear to be a total Philistine.

I am having trouble understanding the concept of types. I am not sure if types are exclusive to the C family (which is what I am trying to learn) so I figure that this is the best place for my question given that it touches on so many programming concepts.

I am looking on the MSDN Library and Google to try and figure out what exactly types do. From what I can gather they hold class definitions and handle memory calls by labeling code. Am I correct in this? A lot of the stuff I am reading is geared towards experienced programmers and it isnt written very clearly.
Contrived example time.

You have a bunch of shirts. Some are machine wash warm, some are machine wash hot, some are hand-wash only. Types are the tag you put on the shirt to remind yourself what you can and cannot do with that. Now imagine that instead of you looking at those tags, the computer was doing it. It'd spit out a warning if you were washing it the wrong way, or just error outright and stop the washing.

In this case, doing laundry is the analogy for compiling.

Now imagine you had several steps, like bleaching, washing, drying, ironing, folding, and a million shirts to wash. Well, poo poo, there's no way you're going to keep all that straight in your head. So you categorize the shirts a certain way. This one's a dress shirt. That one's delicate (so you can't use bleach with it). That one's fabric is special (so you have to air dry it). And so on.

Since you've got to write a plan for each article of clothing, it'd certainly help if your list would throw an error at you when you wrote down your plan to do something that simply didn't make sense for that article of clothing.

That's your IDE showing you a compiler error at you when you're trying to run a function and the types don't match up.

tl;dr - and this is all pretty hand-wavey - types define a format of data by name, so you (and the computer) can see can check to see where and how in the code that format is used.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am looking for ways of fitting curves through the middle of some waveforms. Say, given a sine wave on the origin, a horizontal line right at y=0 would suffice. I thought a linear regression would take care of that, only to find out it recommends a diagonal line going form the upper left to the lower right. Oddly enough, that would still evenly cut the wave, but it's not what I'm after.

If the wave were rising on the back of a carrier, I was hoping I could roughly catch that too. Right there I turn totally stupid and ineffective. I have no ideas other than, say, something with multiple moving averages to try to get a line fit. I was curious if anybody here knew anything else clever. Otherwise maybe I'll go over to the math geeks and get laughed out of there instead. I figured somebody in DSP-land or similar may have run across this problem before.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am looking for ways of fitting curves through the middle of some waveforms. Say, given a sine wave on the origin, a horizontal line right at y=0 would suffice. I thought a linear regression would take care of that, only to find out it recommends a diagonal line going form the upper left to the lower right. Oddly enough, that would still evenly cut the wave, but it's not what I'm after.

If the wave were rising on the back of a carrier, I was hoping I could roughly catch that too. Right there I turn totally stupid and ineffective. I have no ideas other than, say, something with multiple moving averages to try to get a line fit. I was curious if anybody here knew anything else clever. Otherwise maybe I'll go over to the math geeks and get laughed out of there instead. I figured somebody in DSP-land or similar may have run across this problem before.

Linear regression on a sine wave, assuming your domain is a multiple of the wavelength, should give you something very close to y=0. If it doesn't, you're doing something wrong.

It sounds like you're suffering from the XY problem, though; why do you want to make these plots? It seems like you might be trying to poorly reinvent a lowpass filter, but it'd be best if you could explain what you hope to actually achieve.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Linear regression on a sine wave, assuming your domain is a multiple of the wavelength, should give you something very close to y=0. If it doesn't, you're doing something wrong.

It sounds like you're suffering from the XY problem, though; why do you want to make these plots? It seems like you might be trying to poorly reinvent a lowpass filter, but it'd be best if you could explain what you hope to actually achieve.

In the longer term, I want to be able to detect trending in the wave--whether up, down, or sideways. I was pondering a filter as well but I don't think that'll get me any closer to trying to detect trends.

I'll double check my work on the linear regression. It's just that the line did encompass the full wave so I thought it was a peculiar result of that. I suppose I should try some test patterns that are not waves.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop
I code for fun in my spare time and I have been learning a fair amount of C++ and PHP. I can write functions to accomplish most things I attempt. However, I'm not quite sure how to structure the programs overall. Which functions should go in which class/files, things like that.

I also get the feeling my class design is terrible. I'm just making these huge classes with tons of methods and I don't feel like there is much reason to it. It makes sense to me because I wrote it, but even then if I come back to a project a couple days later I might ask myself "What the hell is this class supposed to be doing?" or "Why did I put that method with that class?" When I write my tests, I usually just keep them all across one or two files as I don't really understand many of the features of testing outside of asserting what a function should return.

Are there any good book/websites/resources dedicated to learning best practices for these sort of things?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In the longer term, I want to be able to detect trending in the wave--whether up, down, or sideways. I was pondering a filter as well but I don't think that'll get me any closer to trying to detect trends.

A lowpass filter should detect overall amplitude (up/down) change over time. Just determine the highest-frequency trend you care about, design your filter, and apply it.

For sideways, I assume you mean phase modulation? A phase-locked-loop is a reasonably simple way to go about this, although for noisy environments or signals with a high modulation index there are typically far better designs. If you search around, you can probably find some references on all-digital FM demodulation, which will point you in the right direction.

Oppenheim's book Digital Signal Processing is a typical introductory text for classes on signal analysis and may be a good reference if you need one.

Edit: I foolishly recommended the wrong book by Oppenheim for some reason.

ShoulderDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 13, 2012

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A very simple infinite impulse response lpf (which has the same transfer function as a first-order RC analog filter) can be constructed using an exponential average (as a software guy, you may be familiar with these since operating systems tend to use them to predict process cpu burst times). If you use a value of alpha that's a power of two, you can even do this without any floating point arithmetic. Since it's basically a one-liner, test it and see if it gets you closer to where you want to be - if so, look into more elaborate digital filters.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

ShoulderDaemon posted:

In brief, variables are containers for values. Some variables only allow certain values to be stored; these limitations are described by types.

For example, you might have a variable which can only hold values of type "integer", such as 3 and -77, but cannot hold values of type "string" or "I/O handle".

Different languages have different levels of expressivity in their type systems. In an untyped language, every variable can hold any value. In C, the types available are mostly related to the hardware; there are types for each of the various sizes and styles of number that the CPU understands, and types for indirect access into memory, and such.

In some languages, you can make types that are extremely descriptive, like "only prime numbers" or "a list with an odd number of elements, which are monotonically increasing, none of which are larger than the current time expressed in seconds since jan 1 1970".

Types are a way for the compiler to know how to compile your code (in many languages, for example, adding two values together means one thing when they are numbers, and something completely different if they are strings). They are also a way for people reading your code to know what it does, serving as a form of documentation.

A lot of the documentation I was reading was substituting the word "variable" for "type". That was what confused me. I understand the concept of variables. Your explanation made Types a lot clearer to me, thank you. I blame MSDN for having really lovely documentation :P

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

friendbot2000 posted:

A lot of the documentation I was reading was substituting the word "variable" for "type". That was what confused me. I understand the concept of variables. Your explanation made Types a lot clearer to me, thank you. I blame MSDN for having really lovely documentation :P

Where does it do this? I haven't used MSDN much but my impression has been that it's terribly organized but rarely actually incorrect.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll double check my work on the linear regression. It's just that the line did encompass the full wave so I thought it was a peculiar result of that. I suppose I should try some test patterns that are not waves.

Look into sinusoidal regression. Wikipedia has a very basic article, but you should be able to find better stuff out there.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

ToxicFrog posted:

Where does it do this? I haven't used MSDN much but my impression has been that it's terribly organized but rarely actually incorrect.

It is relatively common to shorten "a variable of type int" to "an int variable". I could see this confusing someone who is searching for the term "type".

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

friendbot2000 posted:

MSDN isn't really a learning resource as much as it is a reference manual for when you inevitably can't remember how to glue different pieces of Microsoft code together to make everything work right because there's too loving much of it for any human to actually remember. Even their learning/getting started articles assume quite a bit of prior knowledge and I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That or the tutorials detail every single pixel movement of your mouse. There's very little material aimed at "I know how to do the most basic operations with my IDE and would like to learn this part o framework X".

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Does anyone know what encoding methods jakarta-tomcat uses? I've successfully added password authentication to my webapp, but I can't figure out the password encoding. I've only tried base64 because that's what a guide I followed said.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I've got a multi-threaded program that windows refuses to give access to hyperthreaded virtual cores.

It will use all 4 physical cores if I disable hyperthreading
It will use all 4 physical cores and park the virtual cores if i leave HT on
It will use all 4 physical cores and all 4 virtual cores if I disable core parking.

The same thing happens on a xeon w/8 physical and 8 logical. It will use all physical with HT disabled or running, and only use the logical ones if I disable parking.

I can run prime95 and it will use all 8 cores without disabling core parking, so I know it's just windows looking at my program and deciding it's not going to try. Anyone ever run into this? How can I make my threads more hyperthreading friendly?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How much faster does your application run if you turn off core parking?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jabor posted:

How much faster does your application run if you turn off core parking?

Noticably.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm trying to code the front end of a website running on Apache Wicket and it is horrible. According to the developers I'm working with, every time edits are made to the various page templates the only way to see the edits is for the server to grab the files from FTP, stick them into the system somehow, and then restart or reload the theme or something... frankly I have no idea. Here's what the developer said:

quote:

The cron service is scheduled to get files from the ftp site, and then copy them to the web server, and after that the web server needs to pick up the changes.

Basically my problem is this: there's a minute of lag time between when I upload a change and when the change becomes visible. This makes it drat near impossible to code efficiently.

Anyone familiar with the system able to tell me if this is normal? I honestly cannot believe that there's no way for changes to be applied to the site instantly. Any ideas how I can work around this? What do I need to ask/tell this developer?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

kedo posted:

I'm trying to code the front end of a website running on Apache Wicket and it is horrible. According to the developers I'm working with, every time edits are made to the various page templates the only way to see the edits is for the server to grab the files from FTP, stick them into the system somehow, and then restart or reload the theme or something... frankly I have no idea. Here's what the developer said:

Basically my problem is this: there's a minute of lag time between when I upload a change and when the change becomes visible. This makes it drat near impossible to code efficiently.

Anyone familiar with the system able to tell me if this is normal? I honestly cannot believe that there's no way for changes to be applied to the site instantly. Any ideas how I can work around this? What do I need to ask/tell this developer?

I think most people will tell you more or less bluntly that you shouldn't be making live changes to the website you're working on, full stop. Ideally you would have a test or "development" version of the site that is convenient for testing changes out, where you can iron out any problems with changes you make rather than unintentionally causing problems on the live site. This could be local to your development machine or more of a centralised thing. But I am guessing there's little reason to make it easy and convenient to change the production site when in principle that's the final step in making any changes; frequent changes to test edits are what the development version would be for.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

I honestly cannot believe that there's no way for changes to be applied to the site instantly.

I hope that's a dev or staging instance you're talking about.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
You shouldn't be making live changes to the website you're working on, full stop.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pokeyman posted:

You shouldn't be making live changes to the website you're working on, full stop.

This. Run a web server for testing on your local machine.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

the kindle version of The Pragmatic Programmer is down to $2.99 (in the US)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What bug trackers do people use? Pros and cons?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nope. I'm coding changes on the live site. All the users just get to see horrible broken poo poo while I'm working. :shepface:

Of course it's a dev instance. We talked to them about getting it set up locally for testing, but there are a million little problems that make it nearly impossible, timeline being one of the biggest culprits. Basically I'm stuck on their dev server and there's no way around it. Boo.

So thanks for the advice, but unfortunately that's not really answering the question I'm asking. Even if I were working locally, wicket would potentially still have the same issue. The problem (as I understand it), is that wicket creates a cached version of the template one time and will only update it if instructed to do so (which is our ghetto-rigged solution – run a cron job every 1 minute to tell it to update the template). This does not make sense to me, although maybe it's just a limitation of the system? Has anyone actually used Apache Wicket before? Is there some way to change the way it caches templates? Not to play the role of the over-simplifying-front-end-dev, but can you not just put it in development mode or something?

I hate pestering the devs about it when I'm not offering any possible solutions, so that's what I'm trying to find. :smith:

Turns out they're just not allowing us access to the server we need access to in order to code more efficiently... we're on some intermediary that's just passing files from one server to another. Welp, thanks anyhow goons.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 16, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

tarepanda posted:

Redmine has a built in Wiki, integrates with source control, and has a decent plugin ecosystem. Most importantly, though, setup and administration is ridiculously simple. I'm a big fan.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

tarepanda posted:

I tend to use the simplest ones possible these days, those on bitbucket/GitHub work nicely. The most important thing — creating issues is not a hassle. Simple form, clean UI.

I keep telling myself to finally try Bugs Everywhere out, but haven't got around to that yet.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Hobby or Pro use? Startup or Corporate?

Stuff I've used in professional settings:
  • JIRA is flexible, adaptable, but can be expensive after the first ten heads. Scales up to bigger companies and project types. Used in bigcorps, startups, and open-source projects alike. Atlassian upsells a bunch of additional services, all of which provide some amount of value, but also $. Or in your case ¥.
  • Fogbugz has a really good workflow for agile. If time tracking and future performance predictions make it pretty good. On the other hand, I have been in a situation where lovely management used it as a club to push engineers harder. Assuming you're still in Japan, I'd say skip this one on account of that if it's a concern.
  • TRAC: Don't use it. Redmine is also free and sucks much less.
  • Phabricator: A newcomer, VERY developer focused, and especially code focused. Facebook uses this (and created it, originally, though the lead dev for it left Facebook and works on it full time now) and honestly it has the best code review system I've ever seen. Usable from a very small scale (even one or two developers), but also useful at large scale (possibly with varying levels of success depending on company process/culture).

Stuff I've used elsewhere, i.e. tinkering or hobby or what other people use:
  • Redmine: A little janky, but also free. Configurable, but can be a little confusing. Slow disk can slow pageloads *tremendously*.
  • Bugzilla: Skip. Old. Better things have long surpassed it.
  • Fossil: Avoid. It's a combination source repo and bug tracker. Just avoid it.

If you use Jenkins for continuous integration (and unless you're already using something else, I hope you do), I suggest JIRA, especially if your company can pay for it. It has a nice little feature where it can aggregate your activity into a feed, but anyways overall it just runs well. On the other hand, you're in Japan. and I don't have a lot of trust in Japanese management practice. if you want to make your job more effective and not drastically increase management visibility (because of varying levels of micromanagement and/or incompetence), then probably Redmine for a complete package, or Phabricator if you don't need the bells and whistles of Redmine and just want clean, smooth task management with code review.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 17, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

On the other hand, you're in Japan. and I don't have a lot of trust in Japanese management practice. if you want to make your job more effective and not drastically increase management visibility (because of varying levels of micromanagement and/or incompetence)

You pretty much hit the nail on the head... KOKO.

We have three programmers who work on essentially completely different projects with zero overlap... and while we all ostensibly program for the same platform, we do it on separate physical or virtual servers and have no CVS whatsoever. Furthermore, due to network security, using something external like Github is a no-go.

I'm essentially looking for some kind of bugtracker for my own use. >.>

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

tarepanda posted:

have no CVS whatsoever. Furthermore, due to network security, using something external like Github is a no-go.

It's really easy to set up a guerrilla version control infrastructure using any DVCS like Git. Forget about GitHub, just share repositories between each other. It's not perfect but is a lot better than developing without version control.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

tarepanda posted:

Bugs Everywhere is a decent enough bugtracking system, with just about as little overhead as you can imagine; its entire state sits in a hidden directory alongside your code, and is designed to be painlessly managed by whatever VCS you are using.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head... KOKO.

We have three programmers who work on essentially completely different projects with zero overlap... and while we all ostensibly program for the same platform, we do it on separate physical or virtual servers and have no CVS whatsoever. Furthermore, due to network security, using something external like Github is a no-go.

Github has a self hosted version (enterprise.github.com) that can run in a VM and do external authentication with your existing credentials.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Github has a self hosted version (enterprise.github.com) that can run in a VM and do external authentication with your existing credentials.

But $$$.

I would suggest Phabricator, then. Pretty easy to set up and just use, and the diff commenting and diff-of-diffs feature is really really useful for iterating on a changeset until it's ready to go. It's paired with arcanist, a command-line tool which will lint for you, and can do some basic things for code quality before submitting it to Phabricator. It also ensures your commit messages have useful notes, and amending it in Phabricator then calling a simple function from the command line will update your commit message then you can just push. But it's been a while since I used the workflow, so you can figure that out on your own.

For a VCS, I'd suggest setting up a server, creating a git user, and adding in your guys' SSH keys to it, create (as the git user) a repo using `git init --bare foobar.git`, then having them go at it by cloning git+ssh://hostname/path/to/foobar.git. A bare repo is important because it won't have a working copy, it'll just be the data store, meaning that it won't bitch when you try to push to the master branch. Don't do separate-user access since if your users are set up for different umasks, or the default umask doesn't include group permissions, then your repository will blow up with permissions errors because of different users being responsible for the creation of different files. Unless you have the setgid bit set... :/ but if you know what that is you're probably good enough at *nix to realize that it will just confuse the gently caress out of everyone else and waste your and their time.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 17, 2012

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Don't do separate-user access ... good enough at *nix ... waste your and their time.

The answer to this, hands down, is Gitolite.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
My current project is a search engine for the RC hobby (http://comparerc.com).

I have over 150,000 parts indexed and searchable...unfortunately, none of them are categorized. Search is nice but a lot of people like to browse. I need to find a way to roughly categorize these parts. Any ideas?

I have a few options, none which look particularly compelling. I can outsource it to MTurk or a few data entry VAs. This will be prohibitively expensive however. 150,000 MTurk HITs at 3 cents each will cost $4,500. I don't have that kind of capital to spend since this is a side project. It also ignores the accuracy problem - a lot of these components are highly technical and the average person might categorize them incorrectly.

Another option is some kind of hierarchical clustering algorithm, which attempts to sort into categories for me. This is appealing because it is automated. The downside is that many items have sparse descriptions, which may make it difficult for the algorithm to cluster well. The same issues of quality control is also present.

Am I missing something obvious?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ask the people who'd be using the search engine to help you categorize. If they're at all like other hobby enthusiasts, they'll be more than happy to help out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Generate a random category.

"This item, a 21CX Engine for Cars was automatically categorized in LEDs and Decals. Got it wrong?"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

polyfractal posted:

My current project is a search engine for the RC hobby (http://comparerc.com).

I have over 150,000 parts indexed and searchable...unfortunately, none of them are categorized. Search is nice but a lot of people like to browse. I need to find a way to roughly categorize these parts. Any ideas?

I have a few options, none which look particularly compelling. I can outsource it to MTurk or a few data entry VAs. This will be prohibitively expensive however. 150,000 MTurk HITs at 3 cents each will cost $4,500. I don't have that kind of capital to spend since this is a side project. It also ignores the accuracy problem - a lot of these components are highly technical and the average person might categorize them incorrectly.

Another option is some kind of hierarchical clustering algorithm, which attempts to sort into categories for me. This is appealing because it is automated. The downside is that many items have sparse descriptions, which may make it difficult for the algorithm to cluster well. The same issues of quality control is also present.

Am I missing something obvious?
You know you can just group 10-20 parts and pay 0.01 for 20 parts per HIT, right?

(and people will happily do them, and you can not pay for lovely results)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Biowarfare posted:

You know you can just group 10-20 parts and pay 0.01 for 20 parts per HIT, right?

(and people will happily do them, and you can not pay for lovely results)

Oh really? I didn't think people would work for HITs that took longer than a few seconds (which would limit it to 1 part per HIT). That would definitely allow me to scale more.

I like the "let users help categorize" idea. I'll implement that, and also use it to help correct bad results that might sneak through MTurk.