Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

quote:

"My dog is a sensitive little flower"

Yeah, definitely don't know what that's like. Buddy knows what "No" means, and he listens to a degree, but only to the degree of pausing enough to weigh his options on whether whatever he was doing was worth it. Lately this is jumping over to the baby's high chair while we're eating dinner and scarfing down as much fallen food as he can before we can physically body block him to go back to his bed. :rolleyes: We reward him for being where he's supposed to (and DON'T reward him for getting up and going back, because he'd be on that in a second), but how the hell do you combat a whole floor full of food? I'm honestly surprised Buddy is as good as he is with that and still listens most of the time. Woohoo groundwork training in action!

Edit: I should also mention, it's not like he's not going to get the food at all. He knows he will when we're done eating, I taught him to "Clean Up". :3: AND he'll get bonus treats for sitting where he should. He just doesn't have the willpower I guess.

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Invalid Octopus posted:

Because everybody wants all the nice spaniels :3:. Also because there are literally zero working bred Clumbers in the US. This guy has had 3 or 4 different spaniel litters this summer and they've all gone (mostly to hunting homes) like hotcakes. Cutieface up there was the last to go from his litter and he went to a gameskeeper a couple weeks ago.

Those are Clumbers? :aaaaa:

I'm so used to those stocky basset hound-looking show dogs. Wanna see what those puppies look like when they're older. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I only have the experience from the opposite perspective. My dog ignores my partner nearly all the time. He'll check out who's coming in the door when he comes home, then comes straight back to sit under my desk. I guess it's because I'm the one who feeds and walks him. I am the fun parent.

Invalid Octopus I found this one that at least health tests. I can't imagine paying $2000 for a doodle but each to their own.

In theory most issues like hip dysplasia should be apparent by 26 months. They don't have the actual test results on their website so you'd have to email I assume.

You can look them up on OFFA.org, or at least you can try. This is the only dog that comes up for me from that kennel name. CERF will let you search too which brings up a lot (but not all) of their breeding males and not really any of their females.

If I were looking for a labradoodle for some reason I would look for a breeder that specifically breeds "Australian Labradoodles" because they seem to be working towards a standard and are better about health testing.

Here's some examples that aren't great but aren't mills:
http://gooddaydoodles.com/
http://www.greenwoodparklabradoodles.com/#!
http://www.arborgatelabradoodles.com/index.html

Ed. gently caress, she wants a goldendoodle? I don't even know then.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 25, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
they both look the loving same, just tell her "labra" is a special kind of Golden or some poo poo

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bear Rape posted:

Those are Clumbers? :aaaaa:

I'm so used to those stocky basset hound-looking show dogs. Wanna see what those puppies look like when they're older. :3:

Here's pics of the dam (Macgiriaght Bodecia)!

And another puppy pic:

And bonus springer pic from his latest litter:

The kennel is Macgiriaght, and if you want to see more working Clumber pics you can check out Sedgehurst as well. They're stick stockier in build than other spaniels, but not grossly so. They're also slower, or more methodical, hunters – not everyone's speed. They're still pretty rare in the UK, but working ones are virtually nonexistant in North America.

Skizzles posted:

they both look the loving same, just tell her "labra" is a special kind of Golden or some poo poo

Ahem. She wants a DesignerDoodle, thankyouverymuch.

And thanks guys! I will pass some links along to my uncle.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
We have to give away our cat we've had for six years because my dad's allergies are getting too bad. The family who responded to our ad are coming to look at and possibly take her tomorrow. They might take her, Lola is a really nice and pretty cat. I'm going to miss her so much.

I guess if I want to play with a cat now, I could just sign up for cat cuddling at PetSmart. I really wish there was such thing as a cat that doesn't shed. We also have a cocker spaniel poodle mix and he doesn't bother my dad at all.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.

Celery Face posted:

I guess if I want to play with a cat now, I could just sign up for cat cuddling at PetSmart.

You should volunteer at a shelter! Look around, there's plenty of smaller shelters that need help other than the big city shelters. For instance, I read about a shelter dedicated to blind cats in the Carolinas recently! :3:

I'm sorry you have to give your kitty away, but hopefully the home will be good!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Invalid Octopus posted:

Here's pics of the dam (Macgiriaght Bodecia)!

And another puppy pic:

And bonus springer pic from his latest litter:

The kennel is Macgiriaght, and if you want to see more working Clumber pics you can check out Sedgehurst as well. They're stick stockier in build than other spaniels, but not grossly so. They're also slower, or more methodical, hunters – not everyone's speed. They're still pretty rare in the UK, but working ones are virtually nonexistant in North America.

Clumbers are possibly the only spaniels I actually like and I want one :qq:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Carebear posted:

You should volunteer at a shelter! Look around, there's plenty of smaller shelters that need help other than the big city shelters. For instance, I read about a shelter dedicated to blind cats in the Carolinas recently! :3:

I'm sorry you have to give your kitty away, but hopefully the home will be good!
The only shelter around here that I know of is the Victoria SPCA and I'm too young to volunteer there.

E: I forgot to mention that I live on Vancouver Island and there aren't many options here.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 25, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Superconsndar posted:

Clumbers are possibly the only spaniels I actually like and I want one :qq:

They are Best Spaniels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KvjOd0TEy0
Lookit that little nubbin tail :3:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WFKX-Iq8qk
Above video has some dead bunny going on, don't watch if you're sensitive to that sort of thing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWbtyGOcgE
Working spaniels best spaniels.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Here is Psyche holding a relaxed downstay. What's exciting about that, you ask? Well, she's holding it while I vacuum the other room. This is only the second time I've kept her out while vacuuming. The first time, we had to use two people, one to enforce her down (otherwise she would attack the vacuum) and the other to s l o w l y go through the motions of using the vacuum. This time it's just me and I vacuumed the entire downstairs and she only jumped up twice when I was heading in her direction.

I'm so proud. :3:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh no oh no oh no one of my cats just had to get rushed to the emergency vet because he was panting and drooling and couldn't walk and oh no.

My parents took him because I just had my wisdom teeth out and feel like poo poo so now I have to wait to see if he's okay and ahhhhhh.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

So a breeder with amazing lines might have a puppy for me. :ohdear: I'm possibly on her short list but she wants to see how she turns out and will decide pet or show home at 8 weeks. If not, I still am in with another breeder, but I figured I'd ask this one since they were just born yesterday and she was recommended by a few people to me.

Going to be a long 8 weeks for a possibility but I had to share my maybe. :sweatdrop:

fake edit: Oh man, I hope your kitty is okay, Radio!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

WolfensteinBag posted:

Edit: I should also mention, it's not like he's not going to get the food at all. He knows he will when we're done eating, I taught him to "Clean Up". :3: AND he'll get bonus treats for sitting where he should. He just doesn't have the willpower I guess.

My guess would be that food NOW trumps food later in his doggy mind, making it not worth waiting. v:)v

paisleyfox posted:

So a breeder with amazing lines might have a puppy for me. :ohdear: I'm possibly on her short list but she wants to see how she turns out and will decide pet or show home at 8 weeks. If not, I still am in with another breeder, but I figured I'd ask this one since they were just born yesterday and she was recommended by a few people to me.

Going to be a long 8 weeks for a possibility but I had to share my maybe. :sweatdrop:

fake edit: Oh man, I hope your kitty is okay, Radio!
:neckbeard: Pre-excited for you. I still want you to have a japanese akita though. Because SOMEONE in PI has to have one and post lots of pictures.

e: Also Kiri I've been reading your Psyche posts forever, I'm so thrilled for you that's shes been making such good progress and that you've discovered new and better ways to manage her behavior issues. :3:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Vet thinks my cat had a heart attack or a blood clot or something like that. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:chord:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Kerfuffle posted:

e: Also Kiri I've been reading your Psyche posts forever, I'm so thrilled for you that's shes been making such good progress and that you've discovered new and better ways to manage her behavior issues. :3:

Thanks! She's been making amazing progress and I can hardly stop myself from talking about it constantly. This week alone we successfully did the star exercise* in class for the first time, introduced her to an entirely new person in our house with only one minor freakout AND we walked into the vet's office and came right up to a fluffy dog three times her size and she didn't make a sound.

We're going on vacation next week and she will be at our trainer's house for boarding and I'm not really even worried about it (unlike last time). I think it'll be a good experience and they're even going to do a few short training sessions with her and tape them for me. Exciting times!

*the star exercise is where all the dogs and handlers in the class start at the points of a star (or triangle, we only had three dogs that day) and then walk in toward a central point and then back out again

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry to hear about your kitty, Radio. Hope he's okay.

Oh man, today's been great for me. Was my birthday, and I'm on holiday with some of the family. Had a surprise visit from the rest of the close family, including the dog. Didn't recognise Gail (the dog) at first, took my sister saying happy birthday for me to realise. In my defence, she was a very muddy doggy. Anyway, the hotel we're stopping in allows dogs for an extra charge, so she's just sleeping over in the corner.
On holiday with my doggy, hooray. :3: she's been getting loads of attention, she's loving it. And if that isn't random nonsense, I don't know what is.

Those are some nice doggles, actionjackson. That's Abby modelling them, right? Greyhounds are lovely

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 26, 2012

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
Hey PI, it's been a while. I traded in my cat for a dog that doesn't respect my personal bubble and also smells like skunk.

Just kidding, I'm only house sitting. Percy got a bigger bed to make up for all the time I've been gone in the past, though.

Angelic loafing.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max is afraid of toys that squeak.

I'm pretty sure my dog is broken.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max is afraid of toys that squeak.

I'm pretty sure my dog is broken.

we watched a dog for a freind for 9 days. Blue Heeler, afraid of squeaky toys. Weirdest thing Ive ever seen. My Cockers would squeak their toys and he would take off and hide

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

My kitty is okay :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Sane posted:

we watched a dog for a freind for 9 days. Blue Heeler, afraid of squeaky toys. Weirdest thing Ive ever seen. My Cockers would squeak their toys and he would take off and hide

He doesn't run away, but puts on his "I'm being brave but oh god please make it stop" face and sits there terrified until I stop squeaking it.

I got him one of those squeaky snakes today because he likes playing tug and I thought he'd like it but he's afraid of it :( He likes stuffed toys but it's downright impossible to find one that doesn't squeak. He didn't like ANY toys to start off with, so maybe he'll come around to the squeakers :shobon:

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He doesn't run away, but puts on his "I'm being brave but oh god please make it stop" face and sits there terrified until I stop squeaking it.

I got him one of those squeaky snakes today because he likes playing tug and I thought he'd like it but he's afraid of it :( He likes stuffed toys but it's downright impossible to find one that doesn't squeak. He didn't like ANY toys to start off with, so maybe he'll come around to the squeakers :shobon:

haha

I gave the Blue Heeler a toy. He got all excited until he bit it. It squeaked and he spit it out and looked at me like WTF not funny dude.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Sane posted:

haha

I gave the Blue Heeler a toy. He got all excited until he bit it. It squeaked and he spit it out and looked at me like WTF not funny dude.

Maybe being terrified of squeaky toys is a blue heeler thing. Can anyone else with one confirm/deny?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I got another kitty!

This guy showed up at my house and has not stopped playing with the turbo-scratcher or the wand for over 2 hours. I'm going to have to take them away from him tonight so my downstairs neighbors don't hate me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVCx_DbWp64

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
My cat hasn't touched the turbo scratcher in months and has just rediscovered it and it is a NEW TOY.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Had an adoption event going on today and dawwwwwwwwgs :3:

Fell in love with this 10mon girl.

A bizarre ig/chi thing? Very sweet though.

Somebodys BLUE pit. I love him. he is my fav. dog that comes by and I beliiiiieve.. hes in the 8-10 mon range.

his name is Luchi (however you spell it) and he is so handsome no matter what yall blue hippo haters say :colbert:

hes not as hippo though, those spotty legs!

We had a bulldog rescue group too

bugeyed things

back to my previous love

and a lovely lovely tegu. his name is Snoopy!

tegu tongues are amazing

HEY GUYS EVER SEEN A FAT IG? because i haven't.

and i still cant wrap my mind around it. these guys were all up for adoption

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The iggy/chi thing confused me for a moment, I was scrolling a little too quickly and I thought you had slipped a picture of a llama in with the dog photos.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Welp I just looked up what a 'Tegu' is and now I want three.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I think one of my favourite things in the world is seeing a Tough Guy with an english bulldog. Nothing says I'm hardcore like having a dog that can't even breathe properly :allears:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

notsoape posted:

Welp I just looked up what a 'Tegu' is and now I want three.

You have the feeders already! :haw:

Look into 6+ ft enclosures, specific temp/humidity (75-90%) requirements, UVB 10.0 lighting for 12hrs daily, and varied diets of fruits, veggies, eggs and mixed insect/rodent/lapine prey items. Also they get faaaaaat and look dumb, don't let yours get fat.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Fraction posted:

I think one of my favourite things in the world is seeing a Tough Guy with an english bulldog. Nothing says I'm hardcore like having a dog that can't even breathe properly :allears:

The last tough guy I saw with an english bulldog actually rescued her because she was getting put down. She had a pretty severe heart murmur and cherry eye, so he took her, got her eye surgery, and knowing that she was only going to live for a couple years, gave her the best life a four legged pot roast can have. Her name was Punkin, and she just died last month. She was a pretty awesome dog. He would dress her up every Halloween and hang out with her on his driveway handing out candy to the kids. It was pretty awesome.

Edit: fat fingers and touchscreen phones make spelling bad.

ToastFaceKillah fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 26, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I had a bit of a lightbulb moment this weekend when I was working with a police dog trainer who gave a clinic to my SAR team. I learned a ton about drive and about raising and handling a working dog. He suggested that I stop making George socialize with new people and dogs, because George it stresses him out (based on his submissive behaviors and body language as he interacted with people other than me). Instead he should be in his crate at team trainings or leashed up and obedient to me. I of course have been doing the opposite and encouraging George to socialize with everyone, because he is nervous about new people and I thought it was helping.

This trainer believes that there's a sort of time limit on socializing puppies to accept strangers comfortably, and if they miss it it's best to get them to tolerate it (so that, say, a vet can handle them, or if a kid runs up and pets the dog before you can stop it the dog won't bite), but beyond that manage the dog so it doesn't have to interact with people. He believes that it's just less stressful for the dog, because then it can just trust it's handler's judgment rather than having to figure new people out on its own. That's a bad paraphrase of the very long conversation we had, but it made a lot of sense to me. His attitude is pretty much, why push it? The dog's going to be happier with his "pack of 2" and letting his handler deal with new people, so why force him into an uncomfortable situation when you can just manage his life so he doesn't have to? Of course this is from a working dog perspective, where you manage their life to a huge degree anyway so it isn't too hard to tweak that.

And the funny thing is, I have another dog I manage that way. He is the same as George, really submissive and/or avoidant (depending on the situation and how pressured he feels), but with him it will turn into snapping and eventually biting if you don't get him somewhere he's more comfortable (he's never bit anyone since I've owned him, but he apparently did with previous owners). George just has a huge aversion to biting people so somehow it never occurred to me that he's just as uncomfortable in social situations as Bandit is. :downs: And it should be even easier to manage George because everyone wants to pet Bandit because he is small and adorable and often they don't ask permission or believe me when I say he bites, while pretty much no one runs up to the big German Shepherd Dog without permission.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Do any of you have a canine buddy that prefers your partner? I feel like it was pretty equal in the beginning but for some reason, the past couple years or so, Ivan seems to very much prefer my husband. He listens to me better, but he follows my husband everywhere he goes, lays outside the bathroom door when he's in there, gets ecstatic when he comes home--barking to announce his arrival then jumping up and wagging his nub--lays next to him on the couch. When my husband and I argue Ivan will walk over and lay in front of him. If we take separate cars Ivan immediately goes to my husband's car. Stuff like that. Even when it's just Ivan and me he usually won't lay next to me on the couch, he'll lay on the floor or in the bedroom, and he doesn't excitedly greet me at the door when I get home. If my husband's there first Ivan often doesn't greet me at all. I was Ivan's primary caretaker for the first few years of his life (he's 5) so I'm wondering what caused the shift. I'm not concerned or anything, just curious.

My dog Bandit actually did this, with me being the partner he switched to. We initially adopted him to be my husband's dog, and for the first year or so we had him he adored my husband and would only listen to him. Then my husband went out of town for a week (not the first time) and Bandit just decided he liked me better. :confused: He started ignoring commands from my husband and being velcroed to me and everything. By the time we divorced Bandit was just totally my dog, there was no question that he'd be coming with me.

My husband is a great dog person but I think Bandit likes me because I'm a lot more low-pressure. He's a bit crazy and was seriously abused as a puppy. My husband tends to have a lot of focus on his dogs and be constantly giving them commands. I'm very firm with my dogs but I tend to do things with them while simultaneously ignoring them (like I'll be riding a horse and they'll be running with me, but I trust them to stay with me and trust their recall so I pretty much ignore me, while my husband in that situation would be paying a lot of attention to them). So I think we were pretty equal when it came to discipline, but Bandit felt a lot less pressure from me. Somewhat ironically, he stopped a lot of his misbehavior around this time (things like snapping at people, destroying stuff in the house, inappropriately chasing livestock), I think because he was just a lot less stressed when he didn't feel like he was always being watched.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

^^^^

I'm beginning to think it might be temperament--my husband being the "low-pressure" one. Ivan does listen to me better (my husband doesn't work with him at all), so, I guess I'll just have to take that.

:neckbeard: DOGGLES!

He's really rockin' them too.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 26, 2012

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
This is my Cocker/Cavaleir mix, Rascal. He loves balls

edit: I attached a photo but it didnt show up.

Justin Sane fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 26, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ToastFaceKillah posted:

The last tough guy I saw with an english bulldog actually rescued her because she was getting put down. She had a pretty severe heart murmur and cherry eye, so he took jer, got her eye surgery, and knowing that she was only going to live for a couple yeats, gave her the best life a four legged pot roast can have. Her name was Punkin, and she just died last month. She was a pretty awesome dog. He would dress her up every Halloween and hang out with her on his driveway handing out candy to the kids. It was pretty awesome.

That's awesome :3: Unfortunately the people I've seen with them are less pet lovers and more chavvy idiots.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
again

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Upload it to imgur and post it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

^^^^

I'm beginning to think it might be temperament--my husband being the "low-pressure" one. Ivan does listen to me better (my husband doesn't work with him at all), so, I guess I'll just have to take that.

Yeah Bandit is an rear end in a top hat who takes things to extremes. I expect most of my dogs to be basically obedient to anyone and they are (particularly if I'm not there) but never managed to accomplish that with Bandit. He will listen to one person and one person only. When I was married but Bandit had already switched his allegiance to me, it would literally go: Del gives Bandit a command; Bandit looks at me; I nod; Bandit does what Del asked. If I wasn't around he'd just not listen to Del. We fell into that somewhat unconsciously, and by the time we realized it...well, let's just say that once I ignored Bandit for 4 hours and he stayed ready and never did what Del said. The trainer in me is ashamed to admit it but I think that's just my Bandit. He will listen to commands given by people he trusts (pretty much Del and my mother) as long as they make sense to him and I'm not there. As an example, his command to get off the furniture is "off." If I say it, he's on the floor in a second no matter what. If my mom or husband (when I was still married) says it and I'm not there, he'll only do it if they have a high-value reward for him.

Bandit still considered my husband part of his pack and loved him and everything. I saw a noticeable difference between him interacting with my husband and him interacting with others. Even after we've been living separately for around a year, Bandit is still relaxed and happy around my ex-husband. When we were together, he was just pretty sure that he was my favorite and my husband was trying to step into his territory. He snapped at my husband a couple of times early on (though he never snapped at me in the year he was Del's dog, oddly enough, but then again I just don't push like Del does) but I really don't think he would ever have bitten him unless Del had violently attacked me or something.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 26, 2012

• Locked thread