Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Finally saw my first case of Series 8 at my local Fred Meyer. Picked 10 at random, only got a double of the Cowgirl.

edit: Scratch that trade, wife saw the second Cowgirl and it left the room with her.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I found two Classic Space baseplates with craters at a flea market today. Been looking for that for a long time.

I saw 4 or 5 more, in the hands of a four-year-old. Being chewed on. :catstare:

I love bases.

More here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=509979

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been meaning to do this forever, and finally got around to it.
Steerable landing gear for the sonic boom jetplane (Old landing gear on the right):

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ika posted:

I've been meaning to do this forever, and finally got around to it.
Steerable landing gear for the sonic boom jetplane (Old landing gear on the right):

That's pretty awesome, I'll have to keep it in mind when I get around to getting that set. It's next on my buy list I just need to save up for it.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I'm working through all the current LOTR sets, and an idea struck me. Have any of you ever tried getting a set, opening all the bags, ditching the instructions, and trying to build it? Obviously, for something huge like Helms Deep or Moria, it's a major challenge. But I'm thinking for a smaller kit, like the Uruk Hai army, or the orc forge, it might be do-able.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Pagan posted:

I'm working through all the current LOTR sets, and an idea struck me. Have any of you ever tried getting a set, opening all the bags, ditching the instructions, and trying to build it? Obviously, for something huge like Helms Deep or Moria, it's a major challenge. But I'm thinking for a smaller kit, like the Uruk Hai army, or the orc forge, it might be do-able.

As a kid in the 90s, when Lego put other models on the back of the instructions, I can tell you that this is a pain in the rear end and trying to build something from photos can just go and gently caress itself.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
As a child of the 80's, I'll +1 that. The alt builds looked like a lot of fun but one tiny 3/4 photo just wasn't enough to get me there. Though I've seen people pull off "in bag" builds for small sets and that's pretty cool.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
I had to do that for the alien vehicle in Hyperspeed pursuit. The alien instruction booklet just repeated itself 1/4 of the way through.

I felt pretty badass after putting it together though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I actually did that with this set, not the most challenging set to do that with but hey whatever, it was still fun.

Also that set has one of the most awesome minifigs.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 27, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sockser posted:

As a kid in the 90s, when Lego put other models on the back of the instructions, I can tell you that this is a pain in the rear end and trying to build something from photos can just go and gently caress itself.

It was always a fun inspiration, but hard as hell to do.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Dr. Benway posted:

As a child of the 80's, I'll +1 that. The alt builds looked like a lot of fun but one tiny 3/4 photo just wasn't enough to get me there. Though I've seen people pull off "in bag" builds for small sets and that's pretty cool.

+2 on that. Many times I was convinced they used pieces that weren't in the set. Frustrating as all hell because some of the alt builds were cooler than the real build.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

einTier posted:

+2 on that. Many times I was convinced they used pieces that weren't in the set. Frustrating as all hell because some of the alt builds were cooler than the real build.

This is why I just pooled all my pieces and mashed them together into big rambling forts. The existence of kids who actually kept their sets separate continues to baffle me.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is why I just pooled all my pieces and mashed them together into big rambling forts. The existence of kids who actually kept their sets separate continues to baffle me.

See, I always tried to keep my set separate, but they would always be gradually modified.
"Ok, this awesome train needs a crane to lift cargo. And the truck needs a railgun to fight dinosaurs. Actually, let's retrofit one of the train cars to carry a ballistic missile (made from one of the engine pods of a Y-Wing.)"
And so on until everything was mashed up together.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Log082 posted:

See, I always tried to keep my set separate, but they would always be gradually modified.
"Ok, this awesome train needs a crane to lift cargo. And the truck needs a railgun to fight dinosaurs. Actually, let's retrofit one of the train cars to carry a ballistic missile (made from one of the engine pods of a Y-Wing.)"

That's kind of how I played as well. I certainly had a huge bin of parts and pieces from general kits and sets I didn't like so much and had dismantled. But there were also some sets I really, really enjoyed. Why demolish the warehouse when it could easily be repurposed and modified for the Mad Max Auxiliary Unit? And later sent back in time to be modified again for the Dino hunters, who really couldn't understand why the MMAU had outfitted it the way they had?

Sets were a great base to start riffing on to build really elaborate playsets and scenarios.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Pagan posted:

Have any of you ever tried getting a set, opening all the bags, ditching the instructions, and trying to build it?
Did this with Fort Legorado way back in the day. The orientation of the drat hinges on the fort gates are the only part that I had to resort to the directions for. I don't think I could build the ballista from the Uruk-Hai army set, either things are more complicated than when I was younger, or I'm just worse with Lego now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Log082 posted:

This is why all of my legos are spread across 5 containers in my old bedroom at my parents' house and I can't really tell what all is still there except for recognizable large pieces of some sets.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Dr. Benway posted:

gently caress trying to make alt models. Love the inspiration, but sitting down at 8 years old and attempting that was just a huge frustration.

Everyone should pick up a fun polybag and try out an in bag build, it's fun and only a little frustrating. The 'ship in a bottle' of the LEGO world.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'll admit, I never mix my sets or make alternate builds. If I get a tub of Legos or bags of random ones, I won't mind building random stuff but if I buy a set, it has to stay intact and on my shelf.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

As a kid I mixed everything and constantly modified and completely rebuilt things, nowadays I buy some sets for parts, and some sets to build and display in my collection; these I almost never take apart.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Looking at my old Lego, I mixed sets, but never themes. And that still somehow makes sense to me.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

cyberia posted:

I just finished building my Model House (4954) and realised that I'm not going to have any room left on my bookshelf after I get the haunted house :(

Nice setup. I'm so jealous. Was looking into some of town building earlier this year, way out of my budget. Some of those set going for +$400 on ebay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Question, I want to break my old Lego out, the only thing I know I'll need to buy initially is the pneumatic tubing for the technique set, where can I buy a big reel of it? (I'm in the UK if it matters)

E: I'm fairly sure I chewed it all as a kid. Wierd kid, younger me.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Depends on how much you need, ebay (here in germany) is flooded with third party tubing at inflated prices, which is basicly resold industrial tubing. However most supplier sites have minimum buys of 50 - 100meters, so unless you need that much ebay might be cheaper even if its more per meter. I ended up paying around 1E / meter.

Basicly its 2mm ID 4mm OD tubing, such as http://www.timmer-pneumatik.de/artikel/H-Schlaeuche/h-schlaeuche-4200.html

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Stopped in at the Lego store in Oklahoma City today since I was in town on some business and found out they are giving away a pretty sweet Monster Fighter Zombie Car in stores and on Lego.com with every purchase of $75 or more from Sept 1-30 while supplies last. I could not find a picture of the car but here is Sept flyer show casing the car. The car looks great, comes with the sweet zombie driver, another great glow in the dark animal and it is available the same day I am ordering the Haunted House.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Lord Ryan posted:

Nice setup. I'm so jealous. Was looking into some of town building earlier this year, way out of my budget. Some of those set going for +$400 on ebay.

Thanks. The Model House seems to hover around $200 on ebay.com.au but I have seen it for more than double that price on American and European ebay sites.

You should look at the more recent houses like the Hillside House and the Apple Tree House as they are much more reasonably priced and are still very satisfying builds.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

My dad was when he was younger into model trains. So like any smart dad he bought me a big Lego trainset (this one: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7735-1) for my 6th birthday hoping i would really like it so he could buy more trainstuff and play with it. Unfortunately i wasn't really into trains but way more into castles and knights. Especially after i saved up all my allowance and bought this: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6081-1 The trainset had some large gray plates and other pieces which would expand my castle and make it even more awesome so i don't think i ever build the train after the first time and even went as far as putting all the special train pieces in a different container because who cares about trains.

My dad didn't liked that and i guess he was really disappointed by then. He gathered up the train set, tore down part of my castle and sold the set to a buddy of his. Sorry dad, i didn't like trains :(

Another funny story, i had my birthday in the same month as a lot of my other friends. So our moms got together and organized one big birthday party for all of us and we all got lego from our other friends. All the parents apparently coordinated their lego buying so we would all get unique sets and no doubles. I didn't like this because again, who cares about tow trucks or race cars. I wanted knights! So i instantly traded all my cars and other sets with my fellow birthday boys and ended up with four of these: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6018-1 Best birthday ever!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ika posted:

As a kid I mixed everything and constantly modified and completely rebuilt things, nowadays I buy some sets for parts, and some sets to build and display in my collection; these I almost never take apart.

That's pretty much exactly me. I really ought to set up a display area instead of leaving all my built sets on the kitchen table like a schlub.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
Building the Haunted House for our display today! So far, it's AWESOME.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

youareoffthehook posted:

When does it go on sale?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

youareoffthehook posted:

Will the stores have a good amount of them or do they get like 10 per store when it comes out?

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

einTier posted:

When does it go on sale?

September 1st!

DrChud posted:

Will the stores have a good amount of them or do they get like 10 per store when it comes out?

We got a ton of them yesterday, so I think we will have enough. No idea about other stores though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

picked up S8 over the weekend, and got a couple of raptors cheaply off bricklink. I couldn't resist (I've run out of room in my shelves, so stuff is piling up on my desk):

Also picked up a sith interceptor new without figures for 43 €, which is acceptable considering cheapest I ever saw it new was 73. Still have to build it.

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 29, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife said no so if any of you are in the GTA get this while the getting is good, a UCS Falcon for 700 bucks.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-toys-games-Lego-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collectors-Millennium-Falcon-10179-W0QQAdIdZ409033894

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
drat, I wish I lived closer and could justify it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

youareoffthehook posted:

September 1st!

We got a ton of them yesterday, so I think we will have enough. No idea about other stores though.

Anything else new going on sale then? :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ika posted:

Depends on how much you need, ebay (here in germany) is flooded with third party tubing at inflated prices, which is basicly resold industrial tubing. However most supplier sites have minimum buys of 50 - 100meters, so unless you need that much ebay might be cheaper even if its more per meter. I ended up paying around 1E / meter.

Basicly its 2mm ID 4mm OD tubing, such as http://www.timmer-pneumatik.de/artikel/H-Schlaeuche/h-schlaeuche-4200.html

Thanks, I found a fella here in the UK selling 10m for £10, that should keep me going for a while. I'm going to see how much of my old jcb model I can find, that should ease me back into the hobby.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

youareoffthehook posted:

September 1st!

This is good news. My wife's good friend and her boyfriend are coming to town on the 3rd. About the only common interest him and I share is Lego. I think a trip is in order.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Heads up, Mines of Moria and Helm's Deep are discounted a bit on Amazon. Just picked them up~

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Dogen posted:

Anything else new going on sale then? :allears:

Series 8 minifigs, and Villa Savoye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Does Lego make a double sided, studded brick? I need a 2x1 brick that is studded on both sides, I can glue some together if needed, but was curious if Lego made any.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 31, 2012