Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

I can understand someone who respects homeopathy as one of the milestones that led to modern medicine, but to actively practice it as a veterinarian today is just... :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Our surgical technique video on sterile prep of patients features horrible dog balls. I know we have to be prepared for horrible dog balls, but the 70s lighting really takes it up a notch.

Linked for your protection

Khelmar, I finally have a class run by your buddy! He dropped in for a couple lectures on fungi last year, but now he is in charge of our microbiology course. It sounds like it will be fun and he is certainly passionate about it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sat. posted:

I can understand someone who respects homeopathy as one of the milestones that led to modern medicine, but to actively practice it as a veterinarian today is just... :confused:

Reading some of the homeopathy threads on VIN I have seen a few of the "I used to practice Western medicine but then things I said couldn't be cured were being cured by homeopathy so I practice homeopathy now! Things you don't learn in books, huh?"

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

sat. posted:

I don't like to admit it but I trained at a homeopathic vet :shobon:. She did typical spays, neuters, and dentals on top of it and tended to lean towards propofol for most minor surgeries. Dunno if that's normal or not. She also practiced acupuncture.

Usually the homeopathic stuff came out when a dog came in with say...incurable cancer! or colitis! And then they'd get a diet change and THEIR SYMPTOMS MAGICALLY GOT BETTER. So she's either ripping a ton of people off and knows it or she's really just that dumb. Her entire family are veterinarians so it's not like she didn't have a background in modern veterinary medicine.

That being said she does prescribe real medication and is fairly knowledgable about modern veterinary medicine, she just seems to choose to advertise her practice as a homeopathic vet. She isn't particularly keen to vaccinating but always did it unless an owner said otherwise.

I'm pretty embarrassed that I even worked there.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

I'm thinking of the right homeopathy right? Where if, say, a dog has a cough you give it a substance that causes it to cough, then dilute it, give it again, dilute it again, etc until the cough goes away? I didn't know there were vets out there that do that still.

Man, the VIN boards sound like fun. If I put on my VMCAS application that I want to get into vet school just so that I can post on VIN would that get me in?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

sat. posted:

I'm thinking of the right homeopathy right? Where if, say, a dog has a cough you give it a substance that causes it to cough, then dilute it, give it again, dilute it again, etc until the cough goes away? I didn't know there were vets out there that do that still.

Man, the VIN boards sound like fun. If I put on my VMCAS application that I want to get into vet school just so that I can post on VIN would that get me in?

Essentially, yes. There was a few ways she gave "remedies". Either they were in those tiny little white balls you can get at health food stores and you put them in their mouth, or you put them or a liquid of the remedy into water (like...a LOT of water), and then give THAT to the pet. The two I can recall are sulfur and arnica. They'd base what remedy the pet needed around things like if the pet drank lots of water or not, if it liked hot or cold areas, if it had sensitive skin, and of course whatever the main symptom was.

I honestly can't say I ever saw it work successfully. In the end everything works out on its own anyways. If it doesn't they either came back and got Real Medical Treatment or were referred out to a huge clinic about 10 minutes away.

Edit: You have to pay for VIN, right? I finally got accepted to VSPN and registerred for a CE course, so we'll see how that goes. My application for membership was rejected the first two times! It was so bizarre.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Dr. Chaco posted:

Yup, those exist. Also chiropractic vets, naturopathic vets (whatever that means), Traditional Chinese Medicine vets, and quite a few vet that practice acupuncture.

There are professors at my school who practice acupuncture. Acupuncture for some reason is getting very popular in vet med it seems.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Braki posted:

There are professors at my school who practice acupuncture. Acupuncture for some reason is getting very popular in vet med it seems.
I briefly worked with a vet who practiced acupuncture. I saw him go three for three (huge sample size I know) getting sick cats to eat by sticking a pin in this magical spot on their noses. All were cats that hadn't eaten in 24+ hours, and all started eating as soon as they were put back in their cages. Maybe they were all "angry eaters" and he just got lucky, but it was kind of neat. If my cat wouldn't eat, I would probably let him poke my cat. :downs:

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah, it's becoming pretty widespread. There is a professor at Davis who has an acupuncture service, and the clinic I work at now has one vet who performs acupuncture. The vets I've seen use it generally reserve it for cases where either traditional medical management hasn't worked well enough or is in some way objectionable, and I've only seen it used for things like arthritis and back pain. I honestly don't know if it works or not, but it somehow seems slightly more legitimate than true homeopathy (giving very diluted poisons) or the "chiropractic voodoo" described in the Animal Questions thread recently. I suppose all of the various alternative modalities may yet surprise me by being shown effective and becoming absorbed into mainstream medicine, but I'm not holding my breath.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Shnooks posted:

Edit: You have to pay for VIN, right? I finally got accepted to VSPN and registerred for a CE course, so we'll see how that goes. My application for membership was rejected the first two times! It was so bizarre.

Vet students and veterinarians in academia don't have to pay for VIN. Practicing veterinarians outside of academia have to pay for VIN though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Asstro Van posted:

Our surgical technique video on sterile prep of patients features horrible dog balls. I know we have to be prepared for horrible dog balls, but the 70s lighting really takes it up a notch.

Linked for your protection

Khelmar, I finally have a class run by your buddy! He dropped in for a couple lectures on fungi last year, but now he is in charge of our microbiology course. It sounds like it will be fun and he is certainly passionate about it.

Haha gross :) The worst dog balls I've seen were on an ancient Dobie. I never knew skin could sag that much.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Shnooks posted:

Essentially, yes. There was a few ways she gave "remedies". Either they were in those tiny little white balls you can get at health food stores and you put them in their mouth, or you put them or a liquid of the remedy into water (like...a LOT of water), and then give THAT to the pet. The two I can recall are sulfur and arnica. They'd base what remedy the pet needed around things like if the pet drank lots of water or not, if it liked hot or cold areas, if it had sensitive skin, and of course whatever the main symptom was.

I honestly can't say I ever saw it work successfully. In the end everything works out on its own anyways. If it doesn't they either came back and got Real Medical Treatment or were referred out to a huge clinic about 10 minutes away.

I think you are confusing homeopathic with holistic methods.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

MrFurious posted:

Arnica is a homeopathic remedy, but yeah maybe they're more of a holistic vet. Although that word sounds warning bells in my head too.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

MrFurious posted:

She advertised as a homeopathic vet.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Is anyone else going to OEPS this weekend? I don't think anyone is, but if so let me know and we'll go drink mint juleps and get sloppy! I'm looking forward to it even though I was an overachiever this summer and I already got all my externships scheduled. It will be fun to go to KY mostly on the AAEP's dime and tour all these cool places and get free food. Hopefully Isaac won't mess up our flights out on Sunday. Our group going is mostly solid, with a few notable exceptions.

I organized the group from our school and I'm never volunteering to do something like this again. I've been very organized and I've communicated well and have done a pretty bang up job on this, if I do say so myself. Dealing with some of these people is like dealing with a bunch of entitled stereotypical mean girls. It's mentally exhausting. I'm too old and boring for this drama llama.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

I organized the group from our school and I'm never volunteering to do something like this again. I've been very organized and I've communicated well and have done a pretty bang up job on this, if I do say so myself. Dealing with some of these people is like dealing with a bunch of entitled stereotypical mean girls. It's mentally exhausting. I'm too old and boring for this drama llama.

Welcome to vet school.

Also don't let people know you have a camera and a mild hobby in video editing, or any other particularly useful talents outside of vet school. You then become the videographer and then people also expect you to be the director, and quite frequently, the writer as well. So you try and herd people into certain times for filming, get people to comment on the script and final products, and overall show up when you want them to - and all so you have enough time to edit the drat thing.

I put together the video for our Smoker. I tried to get filming done months in advance (we had a scene that was going to be an ER spoof using Jerry the resusidog, but as only a few people ever showed up it got spliced into other things), but of course, either half or less of the people who said they would come would show, or no one would RSVP anyway. The week before Smoker I got sick, so I spent the Saturday of Smoker with one of my classmates putting together the video. It came out okay - people enjoyed it, but I had a different vision for it to, you know, be more related one video to another.

I also had/have NO loving CLUE what the horse people were doing with the YOU'VE BEEN ICED LOL thing. Basically, some of the equine students were going around sneaking Smirnoff Ices into mailboxes (among other things) and following the recipient (sneakily) until they found it, exclaiming, "You got iced now chug it!" and filming the person chugging a Smirnoff Ice while they were down on one knee.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Welcome to vet school.

Also don't let people know you have a camera and a mild hobby in video editing, or any other particularly useful talents outside of vet school. You then become the videographer and then people also expect you to be the director, and quite frequently, the writer as well. So you try and herd people into certain times for filming, get people to comment on the script and final products, and overall show up when you want them to - and all so you have enough time to edit the drat thing.

I put together the video for our Smoker. I tried to get filming done months in advance (we had a scene that was going to be an ER spoof using Jerry the resusidog, but as only a few people ever showed up it got spliced into other things), but of course, either half or less of the people who said they would come would show, or no one would RSVP anyway. The week before Smoker I got sick, so I spent the Saturday of Smoker with one of my classmates putting together the video. It came out okay - people enjoyed it, but I had a different vision for it to, you know, be more related one video to another.

I also had/have NO loving CLUE what the horse people were doing with the YOU'VE BEEN ICED LOL thing. Basically, some of the equine students were going around sneaking Smirnoff Ices into mailboxes (among other things) and following the recipient (sneakily) until they found it, exclaiming, "You got iced now chug it!" and filming the person chugging a Smirnoff Ice while they were down on one knee.
Yeah well unfortunately I'm webmaster/historian for the club so I get poo poo on for that too. I had stopped doing things for the class due to the drama (they broke some expensive things I had gotten donated for a class fundraiser than lied to me about it), but up until recently, all the club stuff was pretty ok. Last week I got an extremely pissed off email because I refused to put pictures of dead horses on our public fb page. Was supposed to be ok because the person cropped out the blood. The horses were still obviously hella dead. Yeah, let's think about who would get in trouble for that one... Anyways, people always get annoyed when I take pics for the fb because the pics that the admin and the public like are the ones where people are awkwardly posed and told to pretend to be happy and to pretend to like vet school, which is all obviously a dirty lie.

I saw the iced video. I thought it was moderately funny just because the one Spanish resident got schooled by everyone in the chugging contest, even some female faculty and tiny female residents. They actually also did a really cute equine end of the year thank you video that was pretty funny and sweet.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Asstro Van posted:

He's pretty passionate about everything. Going to the bar with him was always fun. :)

My wife took me to the smoker at UC Davis one year, and didn't warn me what it was ahead of time. That was Not Cool(tm).

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Jesus. The pictures on facebook have always been more than enough for me.

Khelmar posted:

He's pretty passionate about everything. Going to the bar with him was always fun. :)

My wife took me to the smoker at UC Davis one year, and didn't warn me what it was ahead of time. That was Not Cool(tm).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

I... I'm so sorry :sympathy:

Now I understand why you hate California.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

:laugh:

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Yeah, it was interesting, especially since one of the guys had applied for a residency where I was, so I knew him... and then he participated in the guy's "performance". Few things are as uncomfortable as "Hey, how's it going.... nice... banana hammock I've gotta go.. over here... now...."

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
I cannot wait/am terribly scared to start our clinical work this year. We have a lecture in our second week (year 2) called Principles of GI Surgery. Don't rush me man, don't rush me!

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Anyone going to IVECCS this weekend?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Well, a week and a half in and I'm already getting overwhelmed. I don't understand how I'm supposed to keep up. I'm trying to go over the lecture notes at the end of each day. Then I come home, and tomorrow is Thursday, so I have to do reading and prelab questions for my anesthesia lab tomorrow. Small animal medicine is every Tuesday and Thursday, and we get quizzed every class, so even though I've finished all the study questions and prepared the cases, I still have to study so I can know the material well enough tomorrow morning. On top of that, there are study questions for clinical pharmacology every lecture, with a homework question due every week, and these questions take a while to do. With all this, and me helping to organize a big school event that's happening in a couple of weeks, I feel like I can barely keep my head above water. It's like there's not enough time in the day to get everything done. I feel like I don't have free time to myself and it's a struggle just to make sure I get 7 hours of sleep at night so I'm not dead tired the next morning. On top of that, over the summer I procrastinated on writing a paper about canine hypoadrenocorticism, and now my mentor is bugging me and getting mad that I'm not done it yet and now I have to do that too at some point. I just don't know when I can.

Edit: It's also incredibly ironic that most of the professors will say, "Make sure you have a good balance! Have a life outside vet school!" and then assign us tons of homework which obviously makes it harder for us to have a life.

Braki fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 6, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Heh, that actually sounds a lot like some of the same stuff I went through - throw Oh vet school.

You got into vet school because you're driven, intelligent, and a high scholastic achiever. Everyone has that time when it's just overwhelming - and it depends on whether or not you decide to "tough it out" or decide if you're gonna change things up a bit. Both ways have their merits. But always remember to talk about stuff when it gets hard - never hold it in. Luckily you have a thread for that if you feel like your friends are getting tired of it!

Some of the sayings some of my classmates started bringing up were, "C's for degrees!" or "C = DVM!" There's a metric crapload of information for us to put away into our heads, and in my opinion, a good chunk of it is unnecessary. Sure, you don't get the best grades (which, if you're interested in competitive residencies/internships you should probably not listen to me... but then those are usually life-sucking anyway and so you'd kinda have to want/know that going into them), but looking at information (no, seriously, why the gently caress do I need to know this RAF RAS bullshit by memory?) and deciding that you'd rather not try and put that nugget of information away so you could, say, watch an episode of House and laugh at their definition of toxoplasma and BE A PERSON... can easily make the difference psychologically. I decided for psychological health - and though I was jealous at my 4.0 colleagues getting scholarships, or getting chummy with profs because "oh hey they got 100%" - I felt overall better for it. Sure, I still ended up with stress-induced gastritis, lost 10 pounds, and was still eventually so jaded that although I ended up getting overall high marks on my last rotation, I had two comments with "disappointing" because of how excited I was to NOT BE A SLAVE ANYMORE (apparently they didn't like me celebrating it being over)... to actually have a life beyond getting home and blowing up poo poo on my computer because I was trying not to drink... but I wasn't as bad off as some of my colleagues who took everything to heart. Numerous psychological breakdowns, medications, ulcers, broken marriages...

With the Internal Medicine quizzes, are they all the grade or are they part of it? One class I had was only graded on the "pop" quizzes and so they were fairly important - another had quizzes that accounted for like, 20% of the grade - so if you bombed one, it wasn't the end of the world. You felt lovely, but maybe you got something else done that was important. Triage!

I also had the mentors on me about writing a paper. I would feel like such a HUGE idiot for asking questions due to how the tone some of the answers were given. It was my first real scientific paper - I was terrified. Seeing as I want to head back to Davis for residency I needed to do it right, and that made it all the more scary. I was getting e-mails asking about the next draft... meanwhile trying to study for boards, write my records, prepare for the next day of clinics, and maintain my sanity. So, I let them know about some of that stuff. I let them know when my boards were going to be, and said that I'd be able to get back to the paper when boards were over. They weren't ecstatic about it, but they understood. You may have something similar there with the upcoming planning of the school event. As long as the school event deadline is before the deadline of the paper, the event takes precedent and hopefully your mentor can understand that.

With the school event, is there any possible way to delegate more tasks away from you? One thing I noticed about people in vet school planning things was that people took on more than they could handle (I certainly did with SAVMA Symposium - came out alright but I wasn't too proud with all I did) and needed to delegate to others. Thing is, there's this thing with vet students - we know how we'll do it and we want to do it ourselves because we're worried about doing it right. Learning to trust others so when you get out into practice and have just finished discussing the plan with an owner of an itchy cat and your tech walks in and says, "There's a possible rattlesnake bite in the lobby," and you give the tech the cat's record and KNOW that all the stuff you discussed will be done (and done well), and the client will still feel like they're getting great care as your tech handles the goodbye is VERY IMPORTANT!

So what's this whole rambling post about? If you're a more normal person (not the crazy future Internal Medicine residents that function well off 4 hours of sleep and are top of the class), maintaining your mental health so you don't go off the deep end is really important. Other than some certain situations, getting a less-than-stellar grade isn't the end of the world. We vet students tend to overload ourselves, so we need to communicate to those involved with us to let them know where we're at - when we expect to get things done, and when we need a bit of help.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Braki: I felt that way last year, during winter quarter, a number of times. Like there was just no way that I was going to make it through the rest of the year, that it was impossible. But it wasn't. Actually, I did find that making plans to do stuff like play hockey or whatever on the weekends helped me SO MUCH in lowering my stress about school. I'd be like "well, I want to play in this hockey tournament and we have 4 games this weekend. there's an exam Tuesday. If I let myself play in this tournament, I HAVE to write x, study y and get z done for the FMC symposium, and I have only these times to do it, and the rest of the time I will forget that I'm a vet student, forget that I have an exam Tuesday, forget that FMC exists, and loving skate my rear end off." And it really, really helped.

Sometimes I still find myself starting to plan other activities around needing to study for an exam or whatever. That's where my personal breakpoint is where I know now that I need to step the gently caress back and do those other things, and I will find a way to learn what I need to, write up some case to turn in, pass the exam and move on. Wherever your breakpoint is, you just need to recognize that. If you can't do ALL OF the study questions for pharm, oh well. Prioritize the ones that you struggle most with. If it's stressing you out too much to worry about getting those done on top of having to turn in a written thing too, then well, I guess the study questions have to go. I know you really want to stay on top of things, but if it's coming at the expense of your sanity it is NOT worth it. Do what you absolutely have to and figure out a more efficient way to learn - there is undoubtedly one, the way they teach poo poo in vet school is mind-bogglingly inefficient in most curricula IMO.

Here, I've gone through and crossed out for you stuff that my personal bullshit filter would throw out first:

Braki posted:

I'm trying to go over the lecture notes at the end of each day.[look at stuff I might have questions on and ignore the rest of it] Then I come home, and tomorrow is Thursday, so I have to do reading [skim that poo poo, gently caress reading all of it before lab] and prelab questions [only if you're going to get asked these in the lab] for my anesthesia lab tomorrow. Small animal medicine is every Tuesday and Thursday, and we get quizzed every class, so even though I've finished all the study questions and prepared the cases, I still have to study so I can know the material well enough [read that poo poo over coffee] tomorrow morning. On top of that, there are study questions for clinical pharmacology every lecture, with a homework question due every week, and these questions take a while to do. With all this, and me helping to organize a big school event that's happening in a couple of weeks, I feel like I can barely keep my head above water. It's like there's not enough time in the day to get everything done. I feel like I don't have free time to myself and it's a struggle just to make sure I get 7 hours of sleep at night so I'm not dead tired the next morning. On top of that, over the summer I procrastinated on writing a paper about canine hypoadrenocorticism, and now my mentor is bugging me and getting mad that I'm not done it yet and now I have to do that too at some point.[procrastinating it over the summer was bad, but now is not the time when you should worry about it unless you are going to get scooped before the end of the semester] I just don't know when I can.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 6, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Braki posted:

Well, a week and a half in and I'm already getting overwhelmed. I don't understand how I'm supposed to keep up. I'm trying to go over the lecture notes at the end of each day. Then I come home, and tomorrow is Thursday, so I have to do reading and prelab questions for my anesthesia lab tomorrow. Small animal medicine is every Tuesday and Thursday, and we get quizzed every class, so even though I've finished all the study questions and prepared the cases, I still have to study so I can know the material well enough tomorrow morning. On top of that, there are study questions for clinical pharmacology every lecture, with a homework question due every week, and these questions take a while to do. With all this, and me helping to organize a big school event that's happening in a couple of weeks, I feel like I can barely keep my head above water. It's like there's not enough time in the day to get everything done. I feel like I don't have free time to myself and it's a struggle just to make sure I get 7 hours of sleep at night so I'm not dead tired the next morning. On top of that, over the summer I procrastinated on writing a paper about canine hypoadrenocorticism, and now my mentor is bugging me and getting mad that I'm not done it yet and now I have to do that too at some point. I just don't know when I can.

Edit: It's also incredibly ironic that most of the professors will say, "Make sure you have a good balance! Have a life outside vet school!" and then assign us tons of homework which obviously makes it harder for us to have a life.

All professors above the undergraduate level say this and I guess they expect us to never sleep in order to accommodate social life and relaxation.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

wtftastic posted:

All professors above the undergraduate level say this and I guess they expect us to never sleep in order to accommodate social life and relaxation.

Incorrect, my thesis advisor for my MS had no expectations that we would have any sort of life outside of the lab.

But vet school is way different from grad school. The two things suck in entirely different ways.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Topoisomerase posted:

Incorrect, my thesis advisor for my MS had no expectations that we would have any sort of life outside of the lab.

But vet school is way different from grad school. The two things suck in entirely different ways.

My PhD advisor kind of expects us to, but she's pretty churchy and family oriented so I guess its also important to her.

But I would say that on the whole PhD advisors and MS advisors just want your sweet sweet tears and publications. (My boyfriend's old boss expected them in for 10 hours a day or more, 6 days a week. They could have Sunday for personal poo poo.)

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Braki: I felt that way last year, during winter quarter, a number of times. Like there was just no way that I was going to make it through the rest of the year, that it was impossible. But it wasn't. Actually, I did find that making plans to do stuff like play hockey or whatever on the weekends helped me SO MUCH in lowering my stress about school. I'd be like "well, I want to play in this hockey tournament and we have 4 games this weekend. there's an exam Tuesday. If I let myself play in this tournament, I HAVE to write x, study y and get z done for the FMC symposium, and I have only these times to do it, and the rest of the time I will forget that I'm a vet student, forget that I have an exam Tuesday, forget that FMC exists, and loving skate my rear end off." And it really, really helped.

Sometimes I still find myself starting to plan other activities around needing to study for an exam or whatever. That's where my personal breakpoint is where I know now that I need to step the gently caress back and do those other things, and I will find a way to learn what I need to, write up some case to turn in, pass the exam and move on. Wherever your breakpoint is, you just need to recognize that. If you can't do ALL OF the study questions for pharm, oh well. Prioritize the ones that you struggle most with. If it's stressing you out too much to worry about getting those done on top of having to turn in a written thing too, then well, I guess the study questions have to go. I know you really want to stay on top of things, but if it's coming at the expense of your sanity it is NOT worth it. Do what you absolutely have to and figure out a more efficient way to learn - there is undoubtedly one, the way they teach poo poo in vet school is mind-bogglingly inefficient in most curricula IMO.

Here, I've gone through and crossed out for you stuff that my personal bullshit filter would throw out first:

Topo plays hockey, I work. I love my job. It's outside, it's touching animals, it's (poorly) paid, it lets me interact with people who aren't in my class, and it makes sitting in class tolerable. I also just started a crossfit class too so I'm hoping to take out some rage by tossing some tires.

You'll never be perfect in vet school. It just won't happen unless you're a neurotic nutcase who doesn't need sleep. Pick and choose your battles and grudgingly accept that you might have to let some things go for your sanity. It will be fine.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Hello Vets! I have a cat that came home with a reverse mo-hawk and will be taking him to the vets tomorrow. Unfortunately the emergency vet isn't picking up the phone.
Reverse mohawk you say?

I have cleaned the area with hand soap and warm water, and rinsed it. He was surprisingly good about that, but not completely compliant which I would say is good. He seems a little skittish but quite relaxed, and not overly dopey.

I was wondering if I should put some topical cream (Savlon) or similar on it. I think it is worthy of a check up so will take him in first thing tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should do tonight? It isn't bleeding, and I can't see bone so I don't think it requires ringing around the vets. A lot of fur is gone, and I have no idea how! Either some complete oval office took a shaver to him (possible, but where I live isn't that bad) or he got hit by a car in the luckiest manner ever. He has no other scratches.

Sorry to be making GBS threads up your thread, but I don't really trust random google searches and I don't think it warrents its own thread.

Fake edit: Lord Snow is going to have a bad-rear end scar.

Edit - I managed to find the leaflet for a free pet advice call centre provided by the insurers and they allayed my fears. The vet. Nurse I talked to was very helpful and said he will be fine overnight, vet tomorrow morning.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I think I'm ok now. Wednesdays are just bad days because we get a half day, so you think you have a lot of time, but then there's a crapload of stuff to prepare for Thursdays usually and so you feel like you're working all the time. Part of the problem is that I was a terrible student in first and second year. I procrastinated and procrastinated and finally would pull an all-nighter and cram for the test, and then do better than I really deserved to do. I always felt so bad, would ask why I was doing this to myself, etc. and I decided this year to be a better student. I know that grades aren't everything but honestly, I do want to do an internship and residency in internal med. I got scholarships for academic achievement in first year, and got a higher average in second year, so I'm hoping I get one for last year too. I know our tuition is like nothing compared to yours, but getting that extra money really helps.

The small animal medicine quizzes honestly are not worth very much, especially since we have them almost every class depending on our instructor. Strangely enough, the one I wrote yesterday was the one I felt least prepared for but the first one I got 10/10 on, so maybe that's telling me something.

There is no strict deadline for my paper. I just feel bad because I say I'll finish it every break (Christmas, reading week, summer) but I get into a lull and just don't do it. I know I'll be able to finish it at some point as soon as I get the spare time, as it's almost done.

The event has already been delegated. I'm only in charge of one section, except that this part is particularly busy at this time because this event only happens every 3 years and it's in two weeks so all that last-minute stuff has to get done. The fourth year who's doing it with me is on the small animal medicine rotation and is getting very little sleep so she isn't able to help much at the moment, nor do I want her to when she could (god forbid) be resting or eating.

I spent time organizing the event last night and didn't even really do school work. I found the answer to the clin pharm question and confirmed it with the prof so I'm feeling great about that. We're on our 4th palp lab and I still can't retract a uterus, but it was ok because the cow was preggo. There's a 3rd year/1st year BBQ tonight, then a party on Saturday, both of which I'm attending. On Sunday I can catch up on clin pharm questions and study a bit and probably even have an hour or two to spare for my paper if I manage my time right. I'm feeling a lot better now, I think I was just having trouble getting over that Wednesday hump. Thanks for talking me through it; I'm sure I'll have more moments of weakness before this nightmare semester is over.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Braki posted:

I do want to do an internship and residency in internal med.

Oh... you ARE one of those people...

Good job though! Keep on truckin'!

As far as the paper, start setting personal deadlines. I was very similar with my own paper and letting it slide for too long (eh, I'll do it tomorrow, I'm taking a break today! ...).

Personally, I'm aiming for a Radiology residency. Sit in a dark room all day reading black and white images and going home before 6pm. :whatup:

... and then complain bitterly when Neuro calls you in for an emergency CT and/or myelogram...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Personally, I'm aiming for a Radiology residency. Sit in a dark room all day reading black and white images and going home before 6pm. :whatup:

the SA med students are overwhelmingly radgoons.

yep.

if I have my way, I'll be the one calling you at 11 pm on Sunday for the down doxie myelogram. suck it up. :)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

the SA med students are overwhelmingly radgoons.

yep.

if I have my way, I'll be the one calling you at 11 pm on Sunday for the down doxie myelogram. suck it up. :)

I figured you were Neuro! I was a bit sad that I didn't get to transfer my cases to you.

Just as long as you KNOW they're getting a myelogram done... nothing worse than seeing that sad look on the rad resident's face when the neuro resident says, "Oh, we didn't mean to call you in, client decided not to go forward..."

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
So this year we're supposed to have Saturday vaccine clinics, where we go into the teaching hospital and take vaccine appointments with clients. Anyway, somehow, our schedule for that got lost between the secretaries and us, and no one was aware of them, no one had talked to us about them, and we got a surprise email from a fourth year saying they were starting tomorrow and she had talked to some of our classmates and realized we didn't know anything. Three of the four people who were supposed to do it tomorrow were either out of town or had other commitments, so another classmate and I (our mentor is the course coordinator) were scrambling around trying to find people to sub in. Luckily there was the 1st year/3rd year BBQ tonight and almost everyone was there. That was hectic and irritating.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How do you get into Vet school? Do you have to get a bachelor's degree first? How much work is involved?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

Farecoal posted:

How do you get into Vet school? Do you have to get a bachelor's degree first? How much work is involved?

You could read through this thread or thousands of others on websites like Student Doctor. The best way is to contact your closest vet school and find out what they recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Farecoal posted:

Through the front door. No or yes, depending on your country. Since you end up a doctor, a tremendous amount of work is involved, both pre- and during vet school.

If you give us more specifics, such as where you live, what stage of education you're at, and what your experience has been, we'd probably be able to give you a more informative answer.

• Locked thread