Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty good set of guests until you get to Russell Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Peter Serafinowicz, David Mitchell and Dave Gorman has sold me.

If Serafinowicz mentions Butterfield, I'll lose my poo poo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, looking forward to it. He got sacked from a writing job for Russell Howard's Good News, didn't he?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, looking forward to it. He got sacked from a writing job for Russell Howard's Good News, didn't he?

After he bragged about how he saved all the best stories for himself and only went there to eat the Haribos.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Was Mr Blobby that funny/terrifying back in the 90's? He was the best thing on the Big Fat Quiz of the 90's last night and I swear he was awful on Noels House Party!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Mr Owl posted:

Was Mr Blobby that funny/terrifying back in the 90's? He was the best thing on the Big Fat Quiz of the 90's last night and I swear he was awful on Noels House Party!

I have the same memory of him being outright awful back then and I was genuinely laughing last night.

It's also the one, and probably only time I will find Jack Whitehall funny. That was real, genuine terror in his eyes as he saw Blobby walk on.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Whitehalls standup routine is dire but he give a decent performance in bad education to be honest.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leon with a Zero posted:

Whitehalls standup routine is dire but he give a decent performance in bad education to be honest.

He was pretty good in Fresh Meat too. The scene where he's having a horrible acid trip and has a complete breakdown over a horse he believes is his dead dad was equally funny and weirdly touching.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In this week's University Challenge (it's on again, apparently), Paxo corrected St. Andrews' answer "sir Francis Bacon" with an emphatic "SIR Francis baconn", causing them to lose by 5 point more than they should have.
So much for commitment to the regions I say I say.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

In this week's University Challenge (it's on again, apparently), Paxo corrected St. Andrews' answer "sir Francis Bacon" with an emphatic "SIR Francis baconn", causing them to lose by 5 point more than they should have.

I'm pretty sure the guy said Francis Baker

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Irisi posted:

He was pretty good in Fresh Meat too. The scene where he's having a horrible acid trip and has a complete breakdown over a horse he believes is his dead dad was equally funny and weirdly touching.

Speaking of Fresh Meat, it's back soonish and I just caught up with it over summer, and was really pleasantly surprised. It wasn't that it was completely hilarious and amazing, because it wasn't actually that funny, but I actually found myself caring about the characters by the series end, and the finale is a lovely emotionally warm bubble. I'll definitely be watching series 2.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah I started watching it out of boredom and it's actually ok. The girl playing Vod has fantastic delivery on some of her lines

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Apparently there's a new Buzzcocks tonight. Sarah Millican and "the other one" from N-Dubz? BBC2 at 10.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I despise Sarah Millican's act. Despise! :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Noreaus posted:

I despise Sarah Millican's act. Despise! :argh:

Yeah, she's like nails on a blackboard to me. I'll skip this episode.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDdICifwtY

Touch of Cloth 2 preview.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Is this out soon then? Seems like the first instalment wasn't long ago at all

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sky website doesn't say when its starting but I'll assume they'll leave it for a few months at least.

On the upside it appears that Stannis Baratheon is making an appearance.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm not watching NMTB again until Adam Buxton is the permanent host. Every time a musician hosts the programme it's so, so bad and embarrassing.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Did anyone see the ad for "Cuckoo" on BBC3 just now? Was that Andy Samberg? :stare:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The contestant said Baker.
If there's one thing that's sure to get Paxman's ire it's getting art wrong.

I was amused by Paxman's later incredulous response that Baroness Warsi is chair of the Conservative Party not a Supreme Court judge. The perils of recording shows months in advance!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

HoldYourFire posted:

Did anyone see the ad for "Cuckoo" on BBC3 just now? Was that Andy Samberg? :stare:

If it's the ad I saw, yes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Answers Me posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy said Francis Baker

Well I'll be. None of the people watching it with me caught the difference, so at least I'm not entirely alone. I'm re-evaluating my scorn of Humphreys last season of Mastermind when he took a "pass" as an incorrect answer.
It was a pretty scrubby game all round, and on Only Connect right after some people didn't know what Iran-Contra was.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 24, 2012

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kirsty Wark on Newsnight talking about the possible recovery of Richard III bones from Leicester

"Tell us what you think about this dick"

Top Notch.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Last series of University Challenge, I distinctly remember posting in this very thread about a question on "Who wrote The Dispossessed? -Ursula le Guin". This year, we get a question "The world of Anarres is a feature of which sci-fi novel by Ursula le Guin?" Honestly, it's like they're not even trying anymore :colbert:

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

HoldYourFire posted:

Last series of University Challenge, I distinctly remember posting in this very thread about a question on "Who wrote The Dispossessed? -Ursula le Guin". This year, we get a question "The world of Anarres is a feature of which sci-fi novel by Ursula le Guin?" Honestly, it's like they're not even trying anymore :colbert:

To be fair though The Dispossessed is one of the best novels ever written! I think the question from last year was a quote from the book, I've not seen this year.

I must say, I think University Challenge has gotten easier over the years, either that or I just know more than I did when I was 12...

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Alan BStard posted:

I must say, I think University Challenge has gotten easier over the years, either that or I just know more than I did when I was 12...

The questions in the later rounds, especially the final, are usually bastard hard. We're still early days yet.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Alan BStard posted:

To be fair though The Dispossessed is one of the best novels ever written! I think the question from last year was a quote from the book, I've not seen this year.

Paxo answered this question in a radio interview a week or two ago, and said by his reckoning the difficulty had actually increased hugely over the years.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Well I guess I just know more than I did when I was a teenager.

All I know is that when I was on the new Blockbusters the questions were much easier than they were in the 80s-90s, and Bob was asking them to Sixth Formers rather than the easier questions to proper grown-ups.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Raeg posted:

I have the same memory of him being outright awful back then and I was genuinely laughing last night.

It's also the one, and probably only time I will find Jack Whitehall funny. That was real, genuine terror in his eyes as he saw Blobby walk on.

I have no loving clue who or what Mr. Blobby is, but his appearance on The Big Fat Quiz was like a weird fever dream. It was also the most hilarious thing of the whole show.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Alan BStard posted:

Well I guess I just know more than I did when I was a teenager.

All I know is that when I was on the new Blockbusters the questions were much easier than they were in the 80s-90s, and Bob was asking them to Sixth Formers rather than the easier questions to proper grown-ups.

Actually there was an incredibly hard question tonight about the "Upsilon meson". I'd never heard of such a thing, and I've been spending most of my time researching quantum physics for the last month! I said "Muon" and then "Pion" when that was pronounced wrong.

Also when he read out the list of films that won the Golden Raspberry award, did anyone else think "Scientology" like both I and the contestant did? It's because "Cocktail" starred Tom Cruise, and Battlefield Earth was obviously a Scientology movie.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

DominoDancing posted:

I have no loving clue who or what Mr. Blobby is, but his appearance on The Big Fat Quiz was like a weird fever dream. It was also the most hilarious thing of the whole show.

This made me do a double take. Mr Blobby is forever scarred onto my childhood psyche and I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't feel the same....brrr... still gives me the heebie jeebies

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

On second thought thats probably just the subconcious association with Noel Edmonds

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Captain Mediocre posted:

This made me do a double take. Mr Blobby is forever scarred onto my childhood psyche and I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't feel the same....brrr... still gives me the heebie jeebies

I'm simply not British, and since Noel's House Party (just checked Wikipedia) was on from '91 to '99 that was quite a bit before I had any way to watch foreign TV shows.

Apart from that, The Big Fat Quiz was, as always, "okay". Jack Whitehall and Denise van Outen played the stupid team this time around, fortunately they weren't as annoying as the David Walliams/Miranda Hart combo. I'm willing to bet that these shows are not quite the hit with the critics.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Don't forget Mr Blobby spent three weeks at No. 1 in the UK charts.

It's creepier than any North Korean propaganda video, and it's one song that's haunted me for nearly twenty years. Back in early 1994, the coach driver that used to take my class to our swimming lessons played it on loop for over twenty minutes.

And the video contains cameos by Noel Edmonds, Jeremy Clarkson, Garth Crooks and Carol Vorderman which renders it more evil than any beheading snuff video.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god kill it with fire send it back to hell!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine has that song on cassette, CD, and VHS that he's transferred to DVD.

He plays it when he wants people to leave.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I felt so old for a moment when I thought there was someone posting here who didn't know Mr. Blobby.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HoldYourFire posted:

Actually there was an incredibly hard question tonight about the "Upsilon meson". I'd never heard of such a thing, and I've been spending most of my time researching quantum physics for the last month! I said "Muon" and then "Pion" when that was pronounced wrong.

The upsilon meson is b bbar and was the first thing containing a bottom quark discovered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I don't know what's wrong with you guys, Mr Blobby is The Best I remember I made a clay Mr Blobby in art class, but had to give him a tail for balance reasons, my grandparents still have it somewhere. I think I may have related this story before but, Noel Edmonds kept the Mr Blobby outfit for a long time and when he was hosting dinner parties, barbecues etc would excuse himself, put on the outfit and charge through the party entertaining and terrifying guests in equal measure.