Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

the walkin dude posted:

I bet that bike's a real hoot to ride. The green is a bit much - is there a way to take off the triangular part under the seat? I think that's the most obnoxious part of the Z1k and would do a lot for aesthetics with it taken off.

The panels come off but iirc the battery and maybe coolant reservoir are behind them, so it won't be a clean look without some fiddling.

The Z1K engine is a blast but as the other poster alluded to its stock suspension is kind of crap, at least on the older ones. They take upgrades well but if you're gonna futz with the looks and swap suspensions you could just start with a ZX-9r and put a Z1k's bars and headlight on for less work.

You keep an S3 from looking expensive by murdering it out. The Triumph forums are full of guys with matte black bikes and ratjobs. Triumph has made matte bikes a few years, and depending on money and effort you can make it look as classy or crash-recovered as you want.

That also goes for the Z, if you want to look low-key it helps to start with a black bike and if you don't like cosmetic panels you can sometimes black them out vice removing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

The answer is always speed triple.

I would guess someone with a VFR is used to being able to carry stuff for commuting / touring. The S3 has a short pillion and high pipes which make carrying a lot of stuff (particularly hard luggage) doable but more difficult. And it'll all fall off during your endless screaming wheelies. Just something to keep in mind.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would guess someone with a VFR is used to being able to carry stuff for commuting / touring. The S3 has a short pillion and high pipes which make carrying a lot of stuff (particularly hard luggage) doable but more difficult. And it'll all fall off during your endless screaming wheelies. Just something to keep in mind.

A small price to pay for screaming wheelies :colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

EvilCrayon posted:

I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...
Aprilia. V2 is best engine. Also I recently rode a Superhawk (predecessor to RC51) and it was so awesome. Because it's a V2. Best engine.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After all this F650cs talk I decided I wanted one to replace my 01 Bandit. I found one on craigslist and went to look at it, quickily remembering I don't know anything about BMW bieks.

It started up after a couple of cranks, which worried me even cold. I thought FI would make it easier to start. I can start my carbed Bandit up on the first crank.

The sound it made when started was different too. Sounded more like a dirtbike at idle, and then when it got going it evened out. This is normal I'm assuming.

I checked the belt, and it looked fine. Tires, hoses, and all other rubber looked good. Anything else I should look for when I go back to see it?

It's missing the cover for the storage compartment, and there were a couple of other scratches here and there. The turn signal must have been bumped because it was barely hanging on too.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I do enjoy the VFR's touring capabilities which is why I'm so hesitant to part with it. It's nice being able to ride to an hour into the mountains during the day and then just take the freeway home at night. Not to mention just how comfortable the VFR is above 65mph. How much would I love the CBR1100xx blackbird...?

But more than anything else, I love the V4 configuration and Honda. To the point where I am seriously considering a VFR400...

And just a little background on what bikes I currently own and what I am looking to add in the future. I have a 1990 Honda CB-1 and a 1976 Honda CB550K in addition to the VFR750F. Yes I do have a Bultaco as well but it's not street legal.. In the future I will most likely pick up a 2013+ Honda CRF250L once I can find one secondhand. Been thinking about the Honda 919 as well...

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 25, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You know you have a problem when...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Blackbirds are really nice bikes - probably don't sound as good and I think they are a bit longer and slower handling. If you want a faster bike that is similar to the VFR I'd say you'd be happy. Also probably a little less comfortable out of the box.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

So it feels like my VFR is slowly falling apart and it's getting to be a pain wondering what else will need replacing next. I'm about to rebuild my clutch master cylinder after it started leaking which makes me think I should rebuild my front brake master cylinder. And then I might as well rebuild my calipers as well. And then new rear tire, new front brakepads, Factory Pro Shift kit, Clutch Plates. And then something else really arbitrary will need replacing such as the ignition.

So basically I'm semi-in the market for a new bike. I just can't seem to make up my mind as to what I will actually love riding as much as the VFR. I love having that power on tap and although there's not the ridiculous top end of an i4 or the bottom end fury of a v-twin, the V4 has not let me down. The slightly more upright seating position is perfect and just overall the bike is very confident feeling and it rewards very smooth riding. The bike just feels a bit heavy at low speeds but it's manageable. I don't know if I'm quite looking for a hardcore super sport that will have my body in knots at the end of every ride and for some odd reason, I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...

I used to have a VFR750F. I know what you mean about heavy at low speeds. After my Pegaso got stolen, I considered a lot of the bikes you're looking at and in the end I ended up with a Multistrada 1k. The Rev is right, V2 is the best engine. If you still want a sporty riding position and you're considering a Futura, an SL Falco might be an option if you can find one.
I sat on a Blackbird recently and I thought it was quite a stretch to the bars, and not that comfortable. It'd be fine at 100mph but it didn't seem like it would be that great at lower speeds (keep in mind at the time I was riding a sit-up-and-beg bike). It's a big bike.
And then there's the y2k VFR800. If you love your VFR, why not just get a newer VFR?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

savesthedayrocks posted:

It started up after a couple of cranks, which worried me even cold. I thought FI would make it easier to start. I can start my carbed Bandit up on the first crank.

The sound it made when started was different too. Sounded more like a dirtbike at idle, and then when it got going it evened out. This is normal I'm assuming.

If it just went over a couple times before it fired, I probably wouldn't worry about it if it ran fine once started and didn't take any coaxing to fire. Dirtbike sound at idle would be attributable to the large single cylinder like a lot of dirt bikes have.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I had my heart set on getting a DRZ400SM for about 3K but I'll need to get street tires rims for it at $800. I first started out looking for a dual at 2-3k which pointed me towards the DRZ400. Now that I'm looking to spend a grand more to get it street/highway ready, are there other dual bikes I should consider at 4k? I'm looking more towards dual/adventure bikes.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 30, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

I had my heart set on getting a DRZ400SM for about 3K but I'll need to get street tires for it at $800. I first started out looking for a dual at 2-3k which pointed me towards the DRZ400. Now that I'm looking to spend a grand more to get it street/highway ready, are there other dual bikes I should consider at 4k? I'm looking more towards dual/adventure bikes.

$800? The last time I bought supermoto tires, the hyperexpensive option was $407, and I went with the $350 option.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Woops, that should be street rims (rims+tires+sprocket+disc).

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ashex posted:

I had my heart set on getting a DRZ400SM for about 3K but I'll need to get street tires rims for it

I thought the stock DRZ400SM was street legal...

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

epalm posted:

I thought the stock DRZ400SM was street legal...

It is, the SM I'm looking at has been setup as a dual with dirt tires (18/21). I'm told I'll need to swap the rims out to fit street tires.

Edit: Been looking around and perhaps the Versys is a good choice?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 30, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ashex posted:

It is, the SM I'm looking at has been setup as a dual with dirt tires (18/21). I'm told I'll need to swap the rims out to fit street tires.

Edit: Been looking around and perhaps the Versys is a good choice?

You can get some dual sport tires with tread patterns that are like 80/20 street/dirt that might fit the bill nicely. The Bigcee KLR650 knowledgedump lists a bunch of tire options that should fit the DRZ's dirt wheels. http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#wheelstires

Edit: the Versys is a little more adventure touring oriented than the DRZ400. It's probably a very good choice.

Bon Mot
Dec 7, 2007

by T. Finninho
So, what's the general consensus on Ural Solo ST's? I'm really digging the styling, but the closest dealership that sells them is a few hours away. Any information before I get out there would be appreciated.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I keep being dangerously attracted to Urals, but I shy away when I think about things like parts availability. I think people who like them like them a lot, and people who don't like them have their reasons.

On that note, does anyone know if the Ural Patrol's sidecar rig is easily detachable?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A far as I know, no. the 2wd system makes it no fun. I asked my friend who has one and he is not excited to remove the sidecar at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are no detachable sidecar rigs, really. They all attach to the frame and suspension of the bike in a big solid heavy way. And the Urals in general are cool looking but not very reliable, and of course there's not the big network of parts out there to be had like there is with major bike brands.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There are no detachable sidecar rigs, really. They all attach to the frame and suspension of the bike in a big solid heavy way. And the Urals in general are cool looking but not very reliable, and of course there's not the big network of parts out there to be had like there is with major bike brands.

What, you can't just buy all the parts from BMW? :razz:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

What, you can't just buy all the parts from BMW? :razz:

Actually, apparently if you take them apart most of the internals can be replaced with standard (non-crap) stuff, like the bearings and gaskets, etc.

I loved my Dnepr, but I won't do it again. :)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

What about the Ural Solo http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-ural-solo-st/

I too am dangerously attracted to Urals. It won't be my next bike but it might be the next next bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh, the Solo ST is beautiful. I have this crazy pie-in-the-sky idea about travelling to the factory and riding one home from Russia...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There are detachable sidecar rigs, they're just even more crazy and suicidal than a normal outfit, so they're pretty rare.

Also outfits are brain-breaking enough, being able to quickly go from outfit to solo without the brain-recalibration you naturally do when changing bikes is a recipe for disaster (my dad loves to tell the story of his mate just falling over at a red light, feet still on the pegs, after taking his sidecar off).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
How long do V-strom literbikes tend to last? I have someone that contacted me about a possible trade for the DRZ, but his Vstrom has right at 50,000 miles on it and the DRZ only has 11k. My first instinct is hell no, but I'd love a Vstrom... I commute daily on my bike so I'm really concerned about the mileage.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
FWIW, a buddy of mine rides the poo poo out of his VSTROM with just over 40,000 miles on it. ZERO issues so far outside of wear/tear items. It's a great machine.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ugh, the Solo ST is beautiful. I have this crazy pie-in-the-sky idea about travelling to the factory and riding one home from Russia...

the site says they have dealers in a variety of areas, I was thinking about checking out the one in Huston next time I'm in the area

Bon Mot
Dec 7, 2007

by T. Finninho

ADINSX posted:

the site says they have dealers in a variety of areas, I was thinking about checking out the one in Huston next time I'm in the area

Yeah, I'm going to Lubbock to check them out. If it rides well(enough), I'm not sure I'll be able to say no. :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

XYLOPAGUS posted:

FWIW, a buddy of mine rides the poo poo out of his VSTROM with just over 40,000 miles on it. ZERO issues so far outside of wear/tear items. It's a great machine.

I just did a 30k checkup on a vstrom the other day. valves were fine but they had been done about 10k miles ago.
What scares me is the owner told me the chain was original... BUT IT LOOKED FINE!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I've found a 2008 Versys in my budget being sold by a dealership, biggest problem I see is it's got 37k miles. Anyone know how long they last?
And do dealerships do a thorough check when selling used bikes?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

The nearest dealer to me also does Royal Enfields and Watsonian Squire sidecars - I don't think I dare go near the place.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The nearest dealer to me also does Royal Enfields and Watsonian Squire sidecars - I don't think I dare go near the place.

There's a dealer I know of that has had an Enfield 500T (the trials trim model), brand new, sitting on the showroom floor for about 6 years.

Every now and then I give some gentle probing about what he wants for it, and the price is slowly getting lower. If it's still there next year at bonus time (assuming I get one) I might just make a trip with a wad of cash and see what it's going to take for me to take that thing home.

I procrastinated over a second hand one, missed it and wish I hadn't. The ride was really nice and the engine was all sorts of fun.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Does anyone have experience with dealing with rampant Craigslist inflation re: bike buying? I'm just trying to find a late 90s supersport beater for a trackbike, but literally every ad that goes up is in the 3.5k+ range.
And these ads aren't for meticulously maintained, low-mileage period pieces; they're all heaps of poo poo. Referencing KBB and the rest of the country tends to just make people mad.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 3, 2012

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

AncientTV posted:

Does anyone have experience with dealing with rampant Craigslist inflation re: bike buying? I'm just trying to find a late 90s supersport beater for a trackbike, but literally every ad that goes up is in the 3.5k+ range.
And these ads aren't for meticulously maintained, low-mileage period pieces; they're all heaps of poo poo. Referencing KBB and the rest of the country tends to just make people mad.

Yep, craigslist is horrible.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's a non-horrible option? Straight-up grand theft?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
My other options are pretty lacking :smith:
Hilarious example: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3257355789.html

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Alternate option is local bike swaps and enthusiast forums.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

AncientTV posted:

My other options are pretty lacking :smith:
Hilarious example: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3257355789.html

Wait until the rainy season starts, if there is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've got a different problem, there's loads of unusual or otherwise interesting and well priced bikes coming up right now and I'm flat broke.

Recently I've seen Honda NC30s, a GSXR-1100 Slingshot (of Black Prince fame), even BMW F-Series bikes for less than 1500 notes. Not to mention the Eastern Bloc-tastic MZ ETZ250 that was up for just 200 quid.

It's loving ridiculous. I have a riders policy too, I wouldn't even need to sort out insurance!