Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

EddieDean posted:

I think my favourite panel line-up would be Fry, Davies, Mitchell, Bailey, and Toksvig. Though I've enjoyed Jack Whitehall a lot in his recent panel appearances.

Greg or Alan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm watching the latest Grand Designs and there's the lovely sight of a multimillionaire berating a window fitter, an average working man, because of a problem that is nothing to do with him. And then she has the audacity to whine to the camera about how she always has to compromise and how it's so unfair on her. while she builds her multi-million pound house.

She might well be the most repugnant person to have been on Grand Designs ever.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Red Dwarf:

Cat: "Too bad none of us can walk through walls!"

Edit: Also "Back to Reality" (the best one) is on at 11.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Is anyone else watching Threesome on Comedy Central? I keep watching it, and I don't know if I find it funny because it's funny or if it's just because Amy Huberman has, like, the best face in the world.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Pick your window, you're leaving.

I've only ever seen Jo Brand on QI and before the last couple of series she was the only female comedian to appear regularly. I like Sandi Toksvig more if it makes you happy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm watching the latest Grand Designs and there's the lovely sight of a multimillionaire berating a window fitter, an average working man, because of a problem that is nothing to do with him. And then she has the audacity to whine to the camera about how she always has to compromise and how it's so unfair on her. while she builds her multi-million pound house.

She was awful, wasn't she? And the end house was grim, but what do you expect from a house built mostly underground by a vile person who couldn't even show any respect or liking for her own husband (who appeared to be working all the hours God sent to fund the bloody project).

And I do like it when the normally very impartial Kevin McCloud cracks. He really didn't like that house. He just kept wandering about giving everything bitchy looks and pretending to hyperventilate at the lack of fresh air and sunlight. I love Kevin.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Irisi posted:

She was awful, wasn't she? And the end house was grim, but what do you expect from a house built mostly underground by a vile person who couldn't even show any respect or liking for her own husband (who appeared to be working all the hours God sent to fund the bloody project).

I don't think that's a house. The word you're looking for is lair.
I've not watched any of this series of Grand Designs, it's a shame. I might have burned myself out on watching repeats.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I think we're being a bit harsh on Jo brand. Her comedy persona has got a bit tired, but she can still deliver the punch lines better than most hosts. And getting on is brilliant.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
She does perform much better in Getting On, which is indeed quite good.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
QI is really boring/bland whoever you have on there

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It was just such an appalling hole in the end to boot; I really hope they do some more down-to-earth cottage conversions or something as well this season.

Next week's looks good though. Isle of Skye!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I watched the repeat of The Great Big Quiz of the 80's last night and all I could think all the way through it was how much I hate and despise Carol Vorderman.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

le chat posted:

QI is really boring/bland whoever you have on there

I don't understand how anybody can think this. What DO you like?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
There's too many knob gags and Alan Davies just does the same poo poo every episode. The quality, much like every panel show, really depends on the guests.

Edit - not so much knob gags as just childish ohh someone said something that might be misinterpreted as a bit naughty.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think it was better back when they used to have at least one guest who wasn't a comedian. At least then it lived up to its premise as well as being funny.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I wish the House building and selling shows like this would put a 'recorded in 2004' or whatever on them during the price announcements or discussions.
As when you watch repeats of them you cant tell if that £350,000 house is worth that nowadays.
Yeah I know you can see the year made at the end of the show, but most of the time you either forget to look out for it or its shrunk by those loving annoying idents for the next show.

And a good show idea would be to catch up on all the couples and Grand Design muppets to see what happened to the house they bought 5+ years ago. How many are now bankrupt or have a crippling mortgage.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

thehustler posted:

I'm not that big a fan of QI. I'm, if I've run out of poo poo to watch on the Iplayer I'll watch it but there's only so many times you can giggle like a tit at a joke about spunk.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

thehustler posted:

I've never really understood the appeal. There was a while when I watched a fair amount of it, then I just watched an episode with the air of "oh, I've heard it all before. There's some gay jokes and this guy's annoying". I haven't really bothered to watch it since.

It doesn't really help that most of the comedians are at least annoying if not moreso? Much like any panel show, it has to be hit/miss based on that alone.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

happyhippy posted:

And a good show idea would be to catch up on all the couples and Grand Design muppets to see what happened to the house they bought 5+ years ago. How many are now bankrupt or have a crippling mortgage.
They've done this at least one before, haven't they? A couple of years ago, I think.

I remember a thing in the paper last year about one of the projects, some sort of garish floating house, that got abandoned when the dude ran out of money, and it was just left sitting in some canal somewhere as a massive eyesore.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

The thing I particularly hate with QI is when they try to deal with an even slightly difficult science topic - particularly when there's an actual scientist on - and everyone rushes to say how bored they are and how they'll never have a hope of even trying to understand it.

Even Stephen is usually a bit stumped - I remember even he seemed surprised by the fairly simple concept that vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile are independent of each other, so no matter how fast you fire a bullet it still takes the same amount of time to hit the ground as it would if you've dropped it. The panel, on the other hand, just flailed and hyperventilated till he dropped the subject.

I suppose it's representative a general problem with how popular discourse treats science in this country, but it's still poo poo.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Guests who deliberately misunderstand Stephen until he gets all flustered are the best :3:

This is why Sean Lock is the best guest.

The best episodes are when they have Lock paired with some pedantic, boring, unfunny guest, ie the episode with him and Rory McGrath, where McGrath kept trying to show off by reciting the Latin names of various animals, and Sean Lock really got legitimately angry with him for being boring.

Akuma posted:

They've done this at least one before, haven't they? A couple of years ago, I think.

I remember a thing in the paper last year about one of the projects, some sort of garish floating house, that got abandoned when the dude ran out of money, and it was just left sitting in some canal somewhere as a massive eyesore.

I don't mind it when they have genuinely interesting guests, but there'sa a difference between those and guests like John Sessions and Rory McGrath who are just there to show off how many things they memorised in school.

Quasimango fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 26, 2012

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jonnty posted:

The thing I particularly hate with QI is when they try to deal with an even slightly difficult science topic - particularly when there's an actual scientist on - and everyone rushes to say how bored they are and how they'll never have a hope of even trying to understand it.

I think that's the genius of QI though.
Getting Jack Dee, Jo Brand, or Sean Locke to be a average stupid person cracking a knob gag is getting people to learn whatever the science guy is saying. As they side with comedian, they memorize that quirky fact or premise.

I would bet people can recite more QI 'facts' from years ago than the questions/answers from knowledge quizzes they saw over the last week due to this.

QI - secretly making average people know more with knob jokes.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

happyhippy posted:

I think that's the genius of QI though.
Getting Jack Dee, Jo Brand, or Sean Locke to be a average stupid person cracking a knob gag is getting people to learn whatever the science guy is saying. As they side with comedian, they memorize that quirky fact or premise.

I would bet people can recite more QI 'facts' from years ago than the questions/answers from knowledge quizzes they saw over the last week due to this.

QI - secretly making average people know more with knob jokes.

No, they don't memorise it, because they tend to literally just talk over them and shut them down. Sean Locke is actually the worst for this - I remember a particularly bad one was when Ben Miller was on and being really enthusiastic about the LHC - Sean Locke just started yawning, distracting the audience with faces, and eventually forcing him to just give up. It just annoys me when a quiz show which decides to unashamedly be about knowledge decides it's actually allergic to types of knowledge certain loud people don't like.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, I'm going to have to chip in with those folks saying they aren't fans of QI. I find the entire thing to be really dry and boring, compared to other panel shows, with anything interesting or laugh worthy usually spaced really far apart. It doesn't help that the majority of the panelist they pick for it are people I find annoying or, even worse, bland and forgettable.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Jonnty posted:

No, they don't memorise it, because they tend to literally just talk over them and shut them down. Sean Locke is actually the worst for this - I remember a particularly bad one was when Ben Miller was on and being really enthusiastic about the LHC - Sean Locke just started yawning, distracting the audience with faces, and eventually forcing him to just give up. It just annoys me when a quiz show which decides to unashamedly be about knowledge decides it's actually allergic to types of knowledge certain loud people don't like.

Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way too. It was a dick move by Sean Lock. Ben Miller also explained how telephones worked briefly because someone asked and Sean just ignored him on the premise that he was boring him and went on to imply how proud he was of being ignorant.

I tend to like him but that was a low point, his glorifying of anti-intellectualism. Johnny Vegas came off as a bit stupid but I thought it was great when he at least listened to concepts.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I also dislike QI, but it's because Stephen Fry is an intolerably smug, self-indulgent sack of poo poo moulded to vaguely resemble a chunky lesbian. Oh fiddle, mnyaah and indeed poo, he made a double entendre and called a man darling, how incredibly loving droll. Mnyaah, time to flounce off Twitter for the eighth time this month, as it's not being as darling as one would like, indeed.

Alan Davies can get hosed as well. The ear-biting little tosser.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jonnty posted:

I suppose it's representative a general problem with how popular discourse treats science in this country, but it's still poo poo.

Sean Lock and a huge majority of people in this country are more or less still the yawning bored 14 year olds of their youth in math and science.

It really pisses me off. Open your goddamn minds to knowledge!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Xachariah posted:

I tend to like him but that was a low point, his glorifying of anti-intellectualism. Johnny Vegas came off as a bit stupid but I thought it was great when he at least listened to concepts.

Johnny Vegas is just playing a persona as a boorish idiot though. He's actually really coherent and intelligent out of character.

Basically, he's contracted Al Murray syndrome. Where most of his fanbase is actually the people he's parodying.

And as a relevant mention, Al Murray on QI is fantastic, because he's very intelligent and always seems genuinely interested in the science they talk about on the show.

For my ideal QI lineup, I'd go for Al Murray, Johnny Vegas, David Mitchell.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
I think some of you may have inflated the purpose of QI. The show's aim is not to disseminate knowledge or braoden minds. It's to be funny. Look at the list of most frequent guests: they're the same comedians who appear on every English panel show. Yes, it is about 'knowledge', but it's essentially a show of interesting pub facts. I suppose that by being 'about' history and science it aims for a more intelligent humour, but its prmary aim is to be funny. They don't invite David Mitchell on all the time for his history degree.

I guess that's why it sometimes stirs negative feelings. It's trying to fall between the crowd that wants another funny panel show and the crowd that wants a TV seminar discussion with a humourous bent.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Quasimango posted:

I think some of you may have inflated the purpose of QI. The show's aim is not to disseminate knowledge or braoden minds. It's to be funny. Look at the list of most frequent guests: they're the same comedians who appear on every English panel show. Yes, it is about 'knowledge', but it's essentially a show of interesting pub facts. I suppose that by being 'about' history and science it aims for a more intelligent humour, but its prmary aim is to be funny. They don't invite David Mitchell on all the time for his history degree.

I guess that's why it sometimes stirs negative feelings. It's trying to fall between the crowd that wants another funny panel show and the crowd that wants a TV seminar discussion with a humourous bent.

Nah, its definitely changed from its initial premise (watch an old ep on Dave and see how everyone is actually trying to be Quite Interesting) to an all out comedy panel show.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I guess if we're canvassing opinions here, I've gone off QI a fair amount in the last two or so years. It used to be one of my favourite programmes when I was younger, but new episodes now feel a bit flat to me. I get the extended version on series recrord on iPlayer, it might even be better to switch back to the regular edit so the actually interesting or funny bits are a bit more concentrated.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Without the attempt to be Quite Interesting, I find the programme dull and repetitive. Which is a shame because it was one of my favourite programmes on TV a few years ago.

I blame Sean Locke. oval office.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd love for something like a TV seminar with a humourous bent. The closest thing I can think of is probably the radio show "Heresy" but that got a bit poo poo once Coren took over the presenting duties and they kept inviting Julia Hartley-Brewer.

I'm just a little bit sick of panel shows now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Get used to them. It is all the BBC will ever afford after Savillegate drains with little they have left dry.

Of course, EastEnders will keep on going like a cocaine power Cockroach.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

SeanBeansShako posted:

Get used to them. It is all the BBC will ever afford after Savillegate drains with little they have left dry.

Of course, EastEnders will keep on going like a cocaine power Cockroach.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with EastEnders to be honest.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with EastEnders to be honest.

It's a cheap slice of melodrama. It's cathartic.

And for that reason, I never want it to go away. :unsmith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh gently caress I just saw a Him And Her Series 3 trailer pop up in my YouTube feed!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's a piece of poo poo is what it is. It's dross. It's dreck. It's not well made or well acted. It's not funny, except the odd occasion when it turns a little bit mental. It says nothing novel or insightful about the human condition. It's worthless, and the sooner everybody wises up to that the better.

That goes for pretty much all soaps. If you watch and/or enjoy them you're a dunce. Think of all the money being wasted every day on those pieces of poo poo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh gently caress I just saw a Him And Her Series 3 trailer pop up in my YouTube feed!

Oh christ no. Not again.

Akuma posted:

It's a piece of poo poo is what it is. It's dross. It's dreck. It's not well made or well acted. It's not funny, except the odd occasion when it turns a little bit mental. It says nothing novel or insightful about the human condition. It's worthless, and the sooner everybody wises up to that the better.

That goes for pretty much all soaps. If you watch and/or enjoy them you're a dunce. Think of all the money being wasted every day on those pieces of poo poo.

:qq:

It still does amazing ratings, so there is a market for it. It's going to stay around, so you might as well make your peace with it.

The "Sooner everybody wises up to that the better" was the pinnacle of your anger. It's been around for 27 years. Do you honestly think people are suddenly going to unanimously decide "WAIT A MINUTE THIS IS poo poo"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nope! They're certainly not. Doesn't stop me wishing they would, though. Think of all the other shows we could have instead of 50 hours of lovely soaps every week.