Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Even within the book sometimes. Early on there's a reference to "chaining words" required to channel warrens, but that seems to have disappeared by the end of the book.

I was actually pretty impressed how Erikson managed to rein in a few of the GotMisms by the end of TCG. Such as Tool's magic-deadening aura, which disappears for about 9 books until he unveils it. And Chaos, the Spire of Andii, etc.

Just finished my reread and noticed that Icarium and Mappo who we see a lot more of in DG get a few mentions, as well as the occasional reference to the K'Chain Che'Malle and Forkrul Assail who play significant roles much later in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I just read the first big battle in Gardens of the Moon and holy poo poo. :stare: I don't usually read fantasy books, but I think I'm in for the long haul with this series.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

apophenium posted:

I just read the first big battle in Gardens of the Moon and holy poo poo. :stare: I don't usually read fantasy books, but I think I'm in for the long haul with this series.
Just wait. :) That's small potatoes compared to what comes later!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Not to mention that particular battle, if you're talking about what happens at Moonspawn, creates little things that basically reverberate through the entire series.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I should totally be in bed right now, but i just finished reading chapter 21 of Toll the Hounds. This is the chapter where we learn that Hood is Jaghut, and then Anomander Rake kills him. Holy poo poo. I need to keep reading. Dassem Ultor said he was going to kill Hood. Now what will happen? Someone needs to take his place.

Sorry for the terrible post, but I'm just astounded right now and had to say something.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

pakman posted:

I should totally be in bed right now, but i just finished reading chapter 21 of Toll the Hounds. This is the chapter where we learn that Hood is Jaghut, and then Anomander Rake kills him. Holy poo poo. I need to keep reading. Dassem Ultor said he was going to kill Hood. Now what will happen? Someone needs to take his place.

Sorry for the terrible post, but I'm just astounded right now and had to say something.

Spoiler for a chapter or so past where you're at right now: IT WAS ALL PART OF THE PLAN :getin:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished two more chapters, but it is now 1:30 am, and i must be up for work in a few hours. : will have to finish the last chapter later today. drat. That's all I can say.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
There really needs to be a book/novella about the Mott Irregulars

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
I'm about a quarter of the way through Gardens of the Moon. The whole magic thing is taking some getting used to. The last series I was really into was the First Law series. Sure it had some magic but few and far between. Though I do appreciate the warrens bit rather than just 'A wizard did it' type explanation.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

zenless posted:

I'm about a quarter of the way through Gardens of the Moon. The whole magic thing is taking some getting used to. The last series I was really into was the First Law series. Sure it had some magic but few and far between. Though I do appreciate the warrens bit rather than just 'A wizard did it' type explanation.

The magic system is fairly complex. As you read farther into the series, you'll get a pretty good idea of how things work. Some stuff is explained and some stuff you can glean by thinking on what you've read. That's one reason I really like the Malazan series. There's a fair amount of interesting stuff you can figure out (not necessarily all of it vital information) if you think about it.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
I have to say it's tough to read through some of the thread without going over the spoilers! So far this is what I had hoped the Black Company series was going to be. I couldn't even make it through the first book of that series!

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm so glad a lot of people seem to be picking up the series lately. I was worried pretty much everyone would be done wanting to talk about the books by the time I finished. I still feel like I missed out on a lot of the discussion and general excitement as I plowed through the first couple books.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just finished Toll the Hounds. What a weird ending. What exactly happened with Rake inside of Dragnipur? And then it spread to Black Coral to stop the Crippled God, and the Mother Dark returned, but she was there all along in Aranatha?

I definitely thought that someone else would be the one to carry Dragnipur like Dassem. Interesting that all the souls were released via Caladan breaking the sword.

I am going to read a couple lighter things before I start the next book, I think.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

I am really struggling with Midnight Tides. I don't outright hate it, and can't think of anything specific I dislike about it, it's just not grabbing me at all. I'm about 3/4 of the way through according to my kindle, but it's about as difficult to get through as the first half of GotM. And every time I start getting into it the POV changes and I'm back to square one :(

Also, I saw a few people saying Tehol and Bugg are their favorite characters, but I just don't get it. Sometimes I get a chuckle out of their conversations, but for the most part the "hey look how wacky and random these guys are!" thing just completely falls flat for me.

So far the only characters I've found remotely memorable or interesting are the Crimson Guard people Seren ended up with, but they seem to only show up for very brief parts and then it's back to a bunch of "Bugg is making soup with a shoe sole! Trull thinks Rhulad is kind of a dick! Page after page of philosophizing about the nature of capitalism!"

I guess overall it just feels like a lot of words without much actually happening. Does the next book go back to the plotlines from the earlier ones, or does it stick with this stuff for a while? I want more Bridgeburners and Karsa :smith:

CORN NOG fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 11, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CORN NOG posted:

I am really struggling with Midnight Tides. I don't outright hate it, and can't think of anything specific I dislike about it, it's just not grabbing me at all. I'm about 3/4 of the way through according to my kindle, but it's about as difficult to get through as the first half of GotM. And every time I start getting into it the POV changes and I'm back to square one :(

Also, I saw a few people saying Tehol and Bugg are their favorite characters, but I just don't get it. Sometimes I get a chuckle out of their conversations, but for the most part the "hey look how wacky and random these guys are!" thing just completely falls flat for me.

I was also initially not particularly impressed, especially given that it's a sharp left turn away from the style of previous characterizations, but they develop a bit more in future books and get less monkey-cheese-derpish.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The magic system is fairly complex. As you read farther into the series, you'll get a pretty good idea of how things work. Some stuff is explained and some stuff you can glean by thinking on what you've read. That's one reason I really like the Malazan series. There's a fair amount of interesting stuff you can figure out (not necessarily all of it vital information) if you think about it.

It's also worth noting that there's not "one way" to do magic. Aside from standard warrens and Elder warrens, there's also spirits and tribal gods, which can sometimes function magically when normal warrens don't for some reason. And the way mages interact with their warrens can be very personalized - there's a great passage in Memories of Ice describing how all the Bridgeburner mages use their warrens differently.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

pakman posted:

I just finished Toll the Hounds. What a weird ending. What exactly happened with Rake inside of Dragnipur? And then it spread to Black Coral to stop the Crippled God, and the Mother Dark returned, but she was there all along in Aranatha?

I definitely thought that someone else would be the one to carry Dragnipur like Dassem. Interesting that all the souls were released via Caladan breaking the sword.

I am going to read a couple lighter things before I start the next book, I think.

It's been almost 2 years since I finished TtH, but IIRC Rake got himself killed so he could release the Gate inside Dragnipur. Remember that Draconus sealing the Gate inside the sword also bound Mother Dark, and if the Gate fell MD would also perish. Rake sacrificing himself to release the Gate convinced Mother Dark to forgive the Andii. She was an observer in Aranatha, but didn't seem to be able to act (or didn't want to) until Rake's sacrifice. Also, you're referring to the Dying God, not the Crippled God. The Dying God is an unwanted remnant of Silverfox/most of Bellurdan that encounted Hairlock's puppet and tried to emulate him.

IMO, there's no way Dassem would be able to carry Dragnipur. The weight of all the souls takes massive inner strength, and Dassem's pretty broken emotionally.

It's a pretty drat heavy book to read, and the next two are like that too.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

IncendiaC posted:

IMO, there's no way Dassem would be able to carry Dragnipur. The weight of all the souls takes massive inner strength, and Dassem's pretty broken emotionally.

I couldn't disagree stronger.

We're talking about the Lord of Tears, God of Tragedy here. If he had wanted the sword, he could have carried the weight. In fact, it would have added to him. Deepened the tragedy around him.

Could a room be too dark for Mother Dark? Would Mael struggle to live in a house at the bottom of the ocean, given the lack of air and the intense pressure?

Remember, the crippled god seems to thrive on pain and suffering. Equally, Dassem's very essence is tragedy.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
A god in pain is not the same as an evil god, to quote Silchas Ruin. I'm doing a re-read and holy poo poo does Eriksson reveal a lot if you know what to look for...

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

I was also initially not particularly impressed, especially given that it's a sharp left turn away from the style of previous characterizations, but they develop a bit more in future books and get less monkey-cheese-derpish.

I don't know that Tehol ever stops being somewhat monkey-cheese-ish, but it's more of a Shakespearean Fool's "I tell the truth while acting like an idiot" than most attempts, and Bugg is largely interesting because of how his presentation contrasts with his true identity.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Masonity posted:

I couldn't disagree stronger.

We're talking about the Lord of Tears, God of Tragedy here. If he had wanted the sword, he could have carried the weight. In fact, it would have added to him. Deepened the tragedy around him.

Could a room be too dark for Mother Dark? Would Mael struggle to live in a house at the bottom of the ocean, given the lack of air and the intense pressure?

Remember, the crippled god seems to thrive on pain and suffering. Equally, Dassem's very essence is tragedy.

Hmm, I never thought of it that way before, and it would be kind of fitting. I still think of him as regular human Dassem and not ascendant Lord of Tragedy.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Leospeare posted:

It's also worth noting that there's not "one way" to do magic. Aside from standard warrens and Elder warrens, there's also spirits and tribal gods, which can sometimes function magically when normal warrens don't for some reason.

I think the reason is that warrens are kind of a younger and still-developing offspring of the holds that primitive cultures interact with. Does that sound right? I'm almost finished with Midnight Tides and still barely have a grasp of this. I have no idea what the gently caress kind of magic the Letherii are dealing with.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 2, 2012

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Vertigus posted:

I think the reason is that warrens are kind of a younger and still-developing offspring of the holds that primitive cultures interact with. Does that sound right? I'm almost finished with Midnight Tides and still barely have a grasp of this. I have no idea what the gently caress kind of magic the Letherii are dealing with.

Sort of yes and sort of no actually on the warrens. I think there's more light shed on this in Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale.

This is what I remember about it, but if you're wanting to figure it out on your own I think this knowledge comes from books farther along than MT. The warrens are actually shattered fragments of Kurald Emurlahn that were claimed by pure blood Eleint. That's why certain dragons have aspects matching up with specific warrens. Also, fits with why otataral can block warren magic. Spite in TBH says that otataral is Starvald Demelain but entropic/negating in its nature.

At least, that's what I remember. I haven't yet read the last book, so I might be wrong. I took a break and decided to start over rather than read the last book only half remembering everything. I'm currently on Reaper's Gale :v:

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 2, 2012

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

This is what I remember about it, but if you're wanting to figure it out on your own I think this knowledge comes from books farther along than MT. The warrens are actually shattered fragments of Kurald Emurlahn that were claimed by pure blood Eleint. That's why certain dragons have aspects matching up with specific warrens. Also, fits with why otataral can block warren magic. Spite in TBH says that otataral is Starvald Demelain but entropic/negating in its nature.

Where does Krul come into this, or am I confused about something? (It's been a bit since the last time I read a Malazan book so I might be forgetting something.)

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Base Emitter posted:

Where does Krul come into this, or am I confused about something? (It's been a bit since the last time I read a Malazan book so I might be forgetting something.)

Again, don't have input from the last book but I think he bargained with the Eleint in a gambit to heal the broken fragments of Emurlahn. If not to restore the old realm itself, then to create something new from the broken and wayward pieces. He provided some of his blood/body to help with the creation. They do their magic and the result is the warrens. K'rul is happy to let others use his creation and I think for the most part the Eleint have to leave as well once they are done. Something about their chaotic nature interferes with or disrupts the fragments. The spilling of their blood was responsible for shattering Emurlahn in the first place iirc.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So thanks to the recommendations of the project eternity thread I've grabbed the first book. Confused but interested so far. :psyduck:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sort of yes and sort of no actually on the warrens. I think there's more light shed on this in Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale.

At least, that's what I remember. I haven't yet read the last book, so I might be wrong. I took a break and decided to start over rather than read the last book only half remembering everything. I'm currently on Reaper's Gale :v:

About the warrens and K'rul, K'rul opened his own veins and created the warrens out of his own blood; Kurald Emurlahn is Elder Shadow, which K'rul had nothing to do with and existed before the warrens, and it's shattering created SOME warrens, like Shadow, and mini-warrens some entities have taken over, like the warren of the Whirlwind and The Crippled God's little pocket warren he travels around in. The warrens K'rul created were around before Kurald Emurlahn shattered.

Otataral formed as a response to the jade giants and their power, to isolate/subdue, and has no effect on Elder magic; only the warrens. That's why most of it is mined on Otataral Isle, where there are a lot of the jade giants.

I don't think we know for certain how Emurlahn shattered, something to do with Father Shadow's death and later hints of Icarium, but nothing concrete. Many of the dragons wanted to claim the fragments of the shattered warren for themselves, I think that's what was read in that part with Kilmandaros killing them.

An issue with this series is that while lots was planned out before, Erikson has said in interviews that he does stream-of-consciousness writing and that's why there are a lot of inconsistencies in this series when it comes to the rules of the world. He knows where he is headed and major points but new things crop up on his way there and don't always fit in with what we already know.

In his prequel series starting with Forge of Darkness a lot of this stuff, like the warrens, is explored or mentioned; what I wrote here is from the main series only.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Given that Erikson has his anthropology/archaeology thing going on, I wouldn't be surprised if there simply isn't any possible overarching "grand unified theory" of magic, etc, because its supposed to reflect the variety of magical and religious practices of all kinds of cultures across many times and places. It's not all going to fit into one system.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Looks like next Esslemont book, "Blood and Bone" has now release date set to November 22nd in Kindle international store. He's been improving a lot since the first book and Orb, Sceptre, Throne was pretty good so I think I'll be preordering this one.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

PlushCow posted:

About the warrens and K'rul, K'rul opened his own veins and created the warrens out of his own blood; Kurald Emurlahn is Elder Shadow, which K'rul had nothing to do with and existed before the warrens, and it's shattering created SOME warrens, like Shadow, and mini-warrens some entities have taken over, like the warren of the Whirlwind and The Crippled God's little pocket warren he travels around in. The warrens K'rul created were around before Kurald Emurlahn shattered.
We learn in Forge of Darkness that K'rul made the warrens. Erastas, the Errant, is one of the first to exploit this new found power. It is hinted that everything summoned from a warren is taken from somewhere else. Where someone summons earth to our of a warren and later a huge hole is found.

All warrens are tied to one or more dragons, so I think that we that the theory of saving fragments of Kurald Emurlahn and dragon blood has some bearing.

Also Tellann Imass -> T'Lan Imass :)

PlushCow posted:

Otataral formed as a response to the jade giants and their power, to isolate/subdue, and has no effect on Elder magic; only the warrens. That's why most of it is mined on Otataral Isle, where there are a lot of the jade giants.
The Crippled God tells us that the Otataral Dragon, Korabas, is aspected to Otataral like Silanah is for Tellann/Thyr. Other dragons are magic and she is anti-magic. All life is magic and as such she is anathema to everything.

Otataral is created by the world as a scab on wounds from terrible magic, like the Jade Giants or a mage war. I think that it's in Bonehunters we are told that it wasn't the Jade giants that caused Otataral island...

PlushCow posted:

I don't think we know for certain how Emurlahn shattered, something to do with Father Shadow's death and later hints of Icarium, but nothing concrete. Many of the dragons wanted to claim the fragments of the shattered warren for themselves, I think that's what was read in that part with Kilmandaros killing them.

An issue with this series is that while lots was planned out before, Erikson has said in interviews that he does stream-of-consciousness writing and that's why there are a lot of inconsistencies in this series when it comes to the rules of the world. He knows where he is headed and major points but new things crop up on his way there and don't always fit in with what we already know.
In his prequel series starting with Forge of Darkness a lot of this stuff, like the warrens, is explored or mentioned; what I wrote here is from the main series only.
Shattering of EmurlahnScabandari Bloodeye was one of the main causes for the shattering of Emurlahn, we learn as much from Silchas Ruin in Reaper's Gale. And it absolutely also caused by the spilling of draconean blood which RG has in its prologue, how the blood crystalizes and sinks through the realm. Trallack Veed tells Icarium that Emurlahn was shattered by him when he tried to "free" Gothos from an Azath house, but can we really trust Veed?

For some reason Kilmandros wanted to keep the Throne of Shadow unoccupied and so did Anomander and so they allied, this is also in the prologue of RG.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I just finished Gardens of the Moon and really enjoyed it. I was scared off for a while with everyone saying how intimidating or challenging the series was but I found it really easy to get into - in fact, it was kind of disappointing when I stopped being thrust headlong into new situations and the scope of the story became clear. Just one comment, in the foreword Erickson says that a lot of people drop out at about 1/3 into the story, but I don't think that's because it's that they run out of patience by then. There was a notable dropoff in quality a little after a third of the way through, where there was a ton of bald explanation clumsily crammed into dialogue and thoughts, as if someone told him "the reader is going to be totally lost here and you have to explain every drat thing to them," and he did it in the most halfhearted way possible. Fortunately the book picks up again soon afterwards. So I guess if anyone else is getting to that point just plow on, it gets better again.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Mozi posted:

I just finished Gardens of the Moon and really enjoyed it.

I wasn't hooked on the series until the conclusion of the Chain of Dogs arc at the end of the next book.

If you find yourself wavering at all, just finish book 2 and you'll be locked in.

God drat that loving arc.

I need to do a series re-read at some point, but I have so much on my plate to read right now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stubb Dogg posted:

Looks like next Esslemont book, "Blood and Bone" has now release date set to November 22nd in Kindle international store. He's been improving a lot since the first book and Orb, Sceptre, Throne was pretty good so I think I'll be preordering this one.

Are you kidding me? US Amazon is showing May 21, 2013!

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Mozi posted:

the scope of the story became clear.

If you read just GotM then you can't have any idea about the scope of the story.

ulmont posted:

Because that's probably Tor release. The UK release is the one in three weeks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Abalieno posted:

Because that's probably Tor release. The UK release is the one in three weeks.

I think I may have to flip my kindle back to the UK in three weeks then. 5 months' loving delay is ridiculous.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Abalieno posted:

If you read just GotM then you can't have any idea about the scope of the story.

Obviously I'm not talking about the series in general. There is a point in GotM where new characters stop being introduced and the focus of the book narrows, and that's what I was referring to. I'm not sure why you would think that I would presume to understand the arc of a 10-book series partway through the first book; I did not mean to give that impression.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Well, in other series the first book lays down the arc pretty clearly. By reading the first book of ASoIaF you get the idea of what the arc is about, same for the Wheel of Time.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

ulmont posted:

It also shows that date for both hardcover and paperback so who knows.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Abalieno posted:

Well, in other series the first book lays down the arc pretty clearly. By reading the first book of ASoIaF you get the idea of what the arc is about, same for the Wheel of Time.

Well... fair enough. I guess I should have mentioned that while I just started reading it, I've picked up enough about the series - that it has enormous scale, that it's based or a GURPS campaign, what to expect as far as storytelling and unexplained yet portentous asides - that my expectations were different going in. Sorry about being snippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vertigus posted:

Umm... I think it's fairly accurate to think of them in terms of technology. Warrens are newer and seem to involve less effort for substantial effects, and can handle tasks with greater finesse. They might not be flashy, but they're extremely effective.

Letherii and everyone else on the continent use Holds. Holds are much less-fleshed-out, but they are older and more primitive, evidently used before Warrens were around to use. They seem to mostly lend themselves to two things: (1) Impressive brute-force battlefield magic at grand scales, and (2) Rituals involving a whole shitload of people for (1).

Think in terms of engines - a new 4 cylinder likely puts out more power than an old 8-cylinder. Also, CPUs - newer CPUs run at lower speeds, but accomplish more with each cycle. OR: A big ogre vs. a guy with a rifle.