Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

grnberet2b posted:

So this happened down the road from where I live, which has us a bit on edge about bees in general, but I'm curious about something the associated article reported. They said that there was ~125 pounds of honeycomb in the hive. How much is that relative to what a backyard beehive would hold?

That was an unusually large feral hive, but would be pretty typical in size for a well managed langstroth hive. I leave about 100lbs of honey in every one of my hives for winter.

Being in Texas, I would have expected the bees to be Africanized, but africanized bees just don't build hives that large. I'd lay odds that the guy who was stung was loving with them somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We're also getting into the late summer dearth, when bees are at their most aggressive. And it looks like it was probably a warm day, too, so lots of bees out.

I'm gonna make a wild guess that an employee discovered the hive and tried to take care of it with a hose or something.

Tally
May 26, 2011

How aggressive are Africanise bees compared to your typical bad tempered Europeans?

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

Tally posted:

How aggressive are Africanise bees compared to your typical bad tempered Europeans?

Amazingly aggressive, they will chase you for miles and even stick around if you try and hide underwater.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/williamson/bee-ware-of-the-beehive-bandit

Some rear end in a top hat beek is stealing honey from a local charity.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Tally posted:

They are crankier than normal. If you're going to work with them, invest in a good suit and wear glasses. If they get really upset with you, so many will try to sting through your veil that venom will get sprayed in your eyes.

It's pretty amazing.

Tally
May 26, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Theifing beeks seem to be on the rise. Our local association had three hives stolen this year. Wankers.

Tally
May 26, 2011

ShotgunWillie posted:

They are crankier than normal. If you're going to work with them, invest in a good suit and wear glasses. If they get really upset with you, so many will try to sting through your veil that venom will get sprayed in your eyes.

It's pretty amazing.

Do they have any good traits? Are they more resistant etc?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Nope. They were trying to create a bee that produced more honey, but it actually turns out to produce less.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

KXAN posted:

Someone took 150 pounds of honey from the hives this past week, about $2,000 worth.
That's just making GBS threads reporting right? You're not seriously getting $13 + a # for honey in Texas are you?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

drewhead posted:

That's just making GBS threads reporting right? You're not seriously getting $13 + a # for honey in Texas are you?

I sell mine for between $30-$40/lb in NYC. It ain't no thang.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
$30-$40 a pound in NYC? That is like half gallon prices here in Philly.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

nesbit37 posted:

$30-$40 a pound in NYC? That is like half gallon prices here in Philly.

Wholesale 4-5/lb, retaill 8-9/lb in WA. What would make you pay 40 for a pound of honey?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Nebulis01 posted:

Wholesale 4-5/lb, retaill 8-9/lb in WA. What would make you pay 40 for a pound of honey?

Specialty product sold to people who are willing to pay extra for locally produced and treatment free honey. Also, I'm super cute.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

drewhead posted:

Probably, but there are a lot of people with more money than sense around here. We were selling organic heirloom artichokes for $8 apiece last summer, and they were completely selling out.

http://www.roundrockhoney.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

And yup, looks like 14 a pound is possible. drat, I might need to get some more hives...

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I went to Pike Place Market in Seattle today and at one of the booths that sold honey, they had a few jars open and it had attracted bees who wanted to try the honey as well. I stuck my finger in a little bit that had spilled and hand fed a bee.

It was the exemplification of :3:

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
bees have the most adorable little tongues

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

I went to Pike Place Market in Seattle today and at one of the booths that sold honey, they had a few jars open and it had attracted bees who wanted to try the honey as well. I stuck my finger in a little bit that had spilled and hand fed a bee.

It was the exemplification of :3:

I actually have a jar of honey from that guy, from when I visited Seattle in May/June. When I'm on vacation somewhere and I see someone selling local honey I always get some, even though we have way more honey than we could possibly need just sitting around at home. Solidarity or something I guess?

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
BEES!

My little nuc colony is growing with gusto with heavy feeding and this warm September, they've gone from 4 frames of brood and 1 frame of stores to 6 frames of solid wall to wall brood and 2 1/2 frames of stores, i hope to get them to finish drawing out all the frames before the cold weather hits, but I don't think I'll be that lucky.

(No, I'm not placing the feeder directly onto frames, there's a clear poly quilt (crown board) in place of a regular crown board, they are fantastic, I can nose in all the time and see how they're doing without disturbing them.)

Tally
May 26, 2011

This is my first year so apart from worrying that they'll live through winter are there any big jobs you guys do while they are hunkered down?

I'm going to build a shed for the amazing about of woodened boxes I'm starting to get. Also I'm getting to the age where I need a comfy shed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you've harvested, it's nice to take the mediums that aren't in use and check them over, make sure the paint is good and the wood isn't splitting or whatever. Wash out the unused frames that still have drawn comb on them and seal them in something to store for the winter - I use giant-sized ziploc bags (they're like 30 gallon bags or something). Clean up tools. Once the hive is buttoned down, not a bad idea to clear brush or grass that's grown up around the base of the hive.

But no, nothing really major that I can think of.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you use paramoth or anything when you store them? Last year I stored them in garbage bags after freezing the frames for a few days and still lost a couple supers worth of drawn frames from wax moths.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

What do I do with all this wax, now that I've harvested my honey? I've drained it, but of course there are still traces of honey on the wax. How do I clean it, and then melt it into blocks of pure wax?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
There's a recipe online probably. You could make soap, chapstick, candles, anything really. Just make sure you do it in a pot you don't care about, because the wax will ruin it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Melt it in a double boiler and put it through some paper towel into a cardboard milk container. The honey will seperate to the bottom, slumgum above that and everything on top should be clean wax once it cools and hardens.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
put the empty frames in a super and put them on top of a hive over a crown board, the bees will clean the honey off and take it down into the hive, leaving you lovely clean frames ready for reuse after a few days.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Managed to get a laying queen in my hive. Went from a bunch of unhappy workers and no brood and very little honey to ten gallons over the last 3 months.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
that's a lucky break, just in time, I've just put mine to sleep for the winter, I only have one last inspection to do to check for mice and insert a dummy board and put the mouse guard on.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -