Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I live in a small town that's been covered in snow for the past week. I stopped by Walmart and it was completely picked clean. I'm just assuming it had low after xmas stock.

(looking for clearance)

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Merchant of Death posted:

drat I dont even have space for it and I already want it so badly. It would be nice if its not $250 like town hall.

I heard €120 for it, which would be like $150 US? We'll see.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

:siren:Bi-weekly build entry:siren:

My flickr account has poo poo itself, so imgur it is. I picked Dutch colours because I'm in the mood to play Civ4 as Willem van Orange, and also because I seriously suck at picking colours.

Anyway, here's a space racer!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everything that's been posted for the build-off so far has been really awesome,it's not a competition but cool to see people taking it seriously! Also feel free to do more than one MOC per period.

:siren:Bi-Weekly build MOC:siren:
So I made a bunch of racecars in hotwheels style but I needed a backdrop for them. So I made this!

Week 52 - Futura Racetrack by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That's the fuckin sickest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jordanis posted:

Those catalog photos are missing one rather large 2013 entry:

Sold! That looks amazing! :D

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

MaliciousOnion posted:

:siren:LEGOONS Build-off Entry:siren:

This is my first ever MOC. It's based on the Bugatti 39A:

I'm not entirely happy with the front end.

I love this style car and you did a great job.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I received the Winter Village Cottage (10229) for Christmas and it has rekindled my LEGO itch. Going forward, I'd like to buy each year's Winter Village set and build them around Christmas-time. I now have a strong desire to go back and purchase the previous year's sets: Toy Shop, Bakery, and Post Office. It looks like the Post Office is still available but I'm unsure of the status of the Toy Shop and Bakery. The Toy Shop looks like it's gone and expensive ($200) on Amazon while the Bakery looks a little cheaper.

What's the best place to learn about what sets are still available (being produced, still in stores, etc.) and how should I go about picked up the old sets?

This also applies to the Modular Buildings. Looks like the first three (Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, and Market Street) are gone but the rest are still available. I'll probably pick up the Fire Brigade since that is the oldest and also looks like the most fun to build.

Anyway, the short question is: how do people go about collecting older sets and what's the best practice going forward with the larger, more in-demand sets such as the Modular Buildings?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I made a lovely thing trying to learn this program, enjoy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

scr0llwheel posted:

What's the best place to learn about what sets are still available (being produced, still in stores, etc.) and how should I go about picked up the old sets?
It's tough with these kind of sets. They're expensive and most of them were Lego exclusives. This means there just aren't a lot of them floating around, not to mention new in the box. This means the people who are selling them tend to know what the going rate is... and that's up there. Cafe Corner is like $700 and that's used and built but with instructions. If you want to get it cheaper, you can buy incomplete sets but then you might get scammed because the seller pulled out the rare pieces.

So, my suggestion is to go out and buy 2 of the Fire Brigades on Amazon today for $120 each. Build one, store the other away, and eventually you will be able to sell it for $240 and you got your set for free. Then do that for every set in the future.

(Green Grocer was the last retired modular. It was $149 new and is now going for $500+ on eBay. I'm not saying you'll see the same profit going forward but you'll almost certainly make some good money on a new-in-box retired desirable set after a couple of years. The trick is that Lego has been taking their sweet time retiring these sets.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 27, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

AzMiLion posted:

holy poo poo, that is amazing. i think you could fix the front end issues by making the rounded piece on the front grey ish, that would help.

EDIT: would you mind possting a link to the LDD file? I can see a couple of area's that don't flow as well as they could and i'd like to see how you did the internal construction on that.

Thanks. I don't know what people use to upload their .lxf files, so I put mine on Google Drive.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

All these MOCs are beautiful, nice work guys :)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Mine just finished rendering, it's a racing sub.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Luminaflare posted:

Nice!, everything so far has been really great!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So I'm now motivated to learn how to use LDD and such. Is there a way to remove colors from the parts list or something so it's not so cluttered? Like, instead of listing a 1x1 tile in every single color, just list 1x1 tile and then let me choose the color later or something?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Sockser posted:

So I'm now motivated to learn how to use LDD and such. Is there a way to remove colors from the parts list or something so it's not so cluttered? Like, instead of listing a 1x1 tile in every single color, just list 1x1 tile and then let me choose the color later or something?

View ->New Themes ->Extended mode, but that might drown you in parts if you are new to LDD,

There's also a button at the bottom of the part list second one, filter by color, that should do the trick.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

smackfu posted:

It's tough with these kind of sets. They're expensive and most of them were Lego exclusives. This means there just aren't a lot of them floating around, not to mention new in the box. This means the people who are selling them tend to know what the going rate is... and that's up there. Cafe Corner is like $700 and that's used and built but with instructions. If you want to get it cheaper, you can buy incomplete sets but then you might get scammed because the seller pulled out the rare pieces.

So, my suggestion is to go out and buy 2 of the Fire Brigades on Amazon today for $120 each. Build one, store the other away, and eventually you will be able to sell it for $240 and you got your set for free. Then do that for every set in the future.

(Green Grocer was the last retired modular. It was $149 new and is now going for $500+ on eBay. I'm not saying you'll see the same profit going forward but you'll almost certainly make some good money on a new-in-box retired desirable set after a couple of years. The trick is that Lego has been taking their sweet time retiring these sets.)

How hard is it to actually unload one of those sets on eBay for (at least) double the price? I've been seeing those exorbitant prices and wondering if they're eventually sold.

Also, the Green Grocer looks amazing. Sucks that it is at least $500...

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

scr0llwheel posted:

How hard is it to actually unload one of those sets on eBay for (at least) double the price? I've been seeing those exorbitant prices and wondering if they're eventually sold.

Also, the Green Grocer looks amazing. Sucks that it is at least $500...

If you have one of the early sets, it's not a problem at all. I've offloaded a lot of LEGO on eBay and while I might not get top dollar 100% of the time, I'm always getting at least a fair price and they always sell.

With the new stuff ... well, it's speculation. LEGO typically doesn't go down in value, because the parts are valuable to people creating their own stuff and that sets the bar pretty high to start. If you need to complete a kit and it has rare parts, that drives up the value. If those rare parts are useful for MOCs, then it just goes up that much further. If the set is collectable, again, things go up. Add on value if the set was expensive (not many get bought) and if it's appealing to people other than LEGO geeks.

Modulars have always done well since they hit all of the buttons above. Fire Brigade is going to be an interesting test case. I notice it's not in the latest catalog, so that means it will probably be going EOL soon. However, a lot of buyers speculated in this kit due to the success of the other modulars. There will be a lot of MISB Fire Brigades trading hands after EOL. Then again, the speculator market in LEGO isn't very big right now. It's not Beanie Babies and as mentioned above, the value is very closely tied up with what it's worth to someone who actually wants to build with those pieces. The number of speculators really isn't big enough to push the market much. It won't lose value but it's anyone's guess how little or how much it will go up in value in the first year or two.

I'll probably buy a couple the minute they go EOL. I'm finding that unless I find a deal on LEGO, it's better to wait until then. There's always a few sets left available at MSRP and then you're not sitting on them for years waiting for discontinuation.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Great advice. Thanks guys.

How do you find out when a set goes EOL? Does LEGO announce it or can you tell from an indication on their site?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

scr0llwheel posted:

Great advice. Thanks guys.

How do you find out when a set goes EOL? Does LEGO announce it or can you tell from an indication on their site?

They have a 'Retiring Soon' tag.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

scr0llwheel posted:

I received the Winter Village Cottage (10229) for Christmas and it has rekindled my LEGO itch. Going forward, I'd like to buy each year's Winter Village set and build them around Christmas-time. I now have a strong desire to go back and purchase the previous year's sets: Toy Shop, Bakery, and Post Office. It looks like the Post Office is still available but I'm unsure of the status of the Toy Shop and Bakery. The Toy Shop looks like it's gone and expensive ($200) on Amazon while the Bakery looks a little cheaper.

This also applies to the Modular Buildings. Looks like the first three (Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, and Market Street) are gone but the rest are still available. I'll probably pick up the Fire Brigade since that is the oldest and also looks like the most fun to build.

Anyway, the short question is: how do people go about collecting older sets and what's the best practice going forward with the larger, more in-demand sets such as the Modular Buildings?

Amazon's a terrible place to shop for out-of-production Lego. Use Bricklink. You can get a sealed Winter Village Toy Shop for about $100.

Older sets you either pay through the nose for, find a clueless seller on Craigslist (I was within hours of getting a Cafe Corner for less than $200) or get really lucky on ebay (I got all but two of the NASA space sets for like $75), or parting them out and buying them piece-by-piece on Bricklink (someone in this thread did that for the Cafe Corner IIRC, but it still cost several hundred bucks and had replacement colors for some pieces).

Luminaflare posted:

drat, what'd you use to render that, and how?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One nice thing about speculating in Lego is that a lot of people are buying new in the box sets with the intention to open them, not to just collect them as new in box. So the supply naturally dwindles over time.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Finished the UCS B-Wing tonight. It's a fairly enjoyable build and some of the techniques are fairly novel...the canopy, for example, isn't fastened down but is instead merely pinned between the circle in the front and the trapazoidal construct at its back. I'm going to have to get some of the oddball pieces the set contained for my own builds for sure.

One gripe, though.

The circled areas do not actually come together terribly well, leaving an obvious and ugly gap. Glue is a cardinal sin but for a fantastic display model like this, it seems almost worthwhile...

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005
I ended up with one of those “Free” Holiday Pick A Brick boxes. With the help of Gandalf, I actually managed to redeem the offer. Whats inside?

Lots and lots of Lego.

These boxes are great. I ended up carefully putting every piece together, which I think doubled the amount that could fit into one box.

Also, picked up a Lego rock band set. I think they are those recycled Lego Minifigures from previous series’. The set was fun to put together, although a little expensive. One thing to note, the body pieces of the figures all have scuff marks, almost like they have been played with…

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/27/lego-investors-profit/1732525/

Interesting article on USA Today about some guys who "invest" in Lego sets. God I wish that room was mine.

Edit: I had never heard of BrickPicker before but that looks like a nifty site.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Well I'm in it now.

I just purchased two sets of Fire Brigade (on sale on Amazon for $120 each) and one Diagon Alley. I figured I'll definitely open the Fire Brigade, save the other, and save Diagon Alley. If the HP set doesn't go up in price, I can still open that down the road and enjoy it myself.

Now I have to decide when I'll purchase the Grand Emporium while keeping an eye out for the older Winter Village sets...

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Pyroclastic posted:

drat, what'd you use to render that, and how?

That looks like POV-Ray. You can convert LDD files to POV-Ray files using this tool.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

MaliciousOnion posted:

That looks like POV-Ray. You can convert LDD files to POV-Ray files using this tool.

Yep that was it, though pov-ray (Or the converter, not sure which) does not understand metallic colours, hence the dull grey on the propellers.

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
And I present to you all, my terrible entry to this Bi-Weekly build off,

All I can say is, im sorry!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91585704@N05/8316733825/in/photostream

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

i81icu812 posted:

No clue. Initial report from Walmart was some sets are 50% off but no LOTR, no Monster Fighters. Guessing Target will be similar.

My "lovely" WalMart was picked clean, had some clearanced Sponge Bob Squarepants, but that was about it. The nicer WalMart had the Monster Fighter Ghost Train for $54, the Crazy Scientist set for $54 and the Avengers truck for $13. I picked up some beat-up Star Wars Clone Trooper and Mandalorian battle packs for $6 each, was tempted to get the Crazy Scientist set, but felt I'd rather put that money into a Haunted House.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GTJustin posted:

My "lovely" WalMart was picked clean, had some clearanced Sponge Bob Squarepants, but that was about it. The nicer WalMart had the Monster Fighter Ghost Train for $54, the Crazy Scientist set for $54 and the Avengers truck for $13. I picked up some beat-up Star Wars Clone Trooper and Mandalorian battle packs for $6 each, was tempted to get the Crazy Scientist set, but felt I'd rather put that money into a Haunted House.

Been to three of the four in town and most were pretty destroyed. I also got a Ghost Train for $54, and a Malevolence for $80. Probably going to hit the other one later this morning, just to check. Even if those are the only two sets I get out of this, I'll consider it a win.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Been to three of the four in town and most were pretty destroyed. I also got a Ghost Train for $54, and a Malevolence for $80. Probably going to hit the other one later this morning, just to check. Even if those are the only two sets I get out of this, I'll consider it a win.

Swung by the last 2 Walmarts today. Even MORE recycling trucks. Ewok Attack, Sith Nightspeeder, Jay's Jetfighter all $12. Couple of more Podracers for $35. Moria, Quinjet, and Batcave for $54. Ghost train for $64. Random LOTR and superhero sets were $10 off. Creator 70 piece plastic container things for $2.50. Empty $1 CMF trays.

A good haul. Kinda wish I had gone yesterday. Shelves are looking pretty bare now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

And we're back. Darth Maul's Infiltrator, Raptor Chase, and T-Rex Hunter for a combined $85. I had to price check pretty much everything, though, because none of them were marked. I was hoping for some Super Heroes stuff, but no luck there. I'm sad that I can't seem to find the Dino triceratops set anywhere. That was the one I was really waiting for to go on sale.

Anyway, I think I have enough LEGO to keep me set til the next round of clearances. Daughter is super happy about the Ghost Train, though. She really likes the Monster Hunters line, which makes me happy as hell. Gonna have to pick up the Haunted House during a spring lull, maybe.

Happy December Religious Holiday, everyone!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Started putting together my VW Van last night. 1300 pieces, 2 huge instruction books, and no numbered bags. On one hand it was very nostalgic digging through a massive pile of bits to find what I needed... but holy crap did it slow the process down.

4 hours later and this is as far as I got:

:(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trust me, it's worth it. :)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does the VW Bus come with a parts separator?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It does not.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, I learned my lesson with the Sopwith Camel. Separate all of the parts by color before you get building. It'll take you an extra half hour or so of time up-front, but it'll save you hours on the back end when you're frantically picking through a pile to find that one particular piece.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I know we don't have many dedicated Technic builders in here, but I just put together 8066 Buggy, and I'm really impressed with the dual suspension that uses a single shock. Also, the mini steering rack is a really cool design, I may steal it. I often tell myself that I buy sets purely for parts, but the Lego designers just keep topping themselves with new construction... I learn a lot by building some of the sets!

Also, I've been wondering why I haven't gotten any bids on my sets in my Bricklink store... then I found out this morning that if you don't log into your account for a while, it deletes your entire inventory!!! Arrg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Whoa... I went to buy a 8043 Motorized Excavator on Bricklink, and found this ominous note:

quote:

Due to problems with the Linear Actuator this set was recalled by TLG at the beginning of Sept-2010.
At the beginning of Oct-2010 TLG started to deliver the set again, containing redesigned Linear Actuators.
See also the catalog note on the Linear Actuator part

The note on the actuator reads:

quote:

Additional Notes:

Due to problems with this part in Set 8043 - Motorized Excavator, it was internally redesigned in the beginning of Sept-2010.

There are no visible external differences between old and new parts, also the part number stayed the same.

However, old and new parts are reported to have production codes stamped in the bottom - near the orange axle hole - which are supposed to indicate production week and year, e.g. 33x8, 35x9, 17x0, 36x0 etc., where the first two digits should indicate the week and the last digit should indicate the last digit of the year.

Parts having production codes 36x0 or later are supposed to be of the redesigned type.

Anyone know the scoop on this part? What was going wrong? I have some of the older actuators, and have had no problems with them.