Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

justFaye posted:

Edit: For future reference, where do I get simethicone?

Drug store! It's baby gas drops. Just check and make sure it's plain and just has simethicone as an active ingredient. If you have a rabbit, you should always have simethicone, Critical Care, feeding syringes, and one or two SnuggleSafe discs on hand (and I guess gut motility meds if you vet will let you have some)...learned that the hard way over the course of my 10+ years of having rabbits...because the little brats always go into stasis at the worst possible times :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Juppo is officially mine now :D Mate was over yesterday and decided she seems way happier here and it'd be fairer on her to keep her in my place where she can roam (relatively) freely.

I'm happy, Juppo seems relatively unmoved. Can't wait til it's warmer and I can let her out in the garden, we've got an entire empty garage for her to skitter about in too, might help wear her claws down so we don't have to go through the trauma of cutting them as often. Or is that just wishful thinking?

edit: Quick question: Which type of poo poo are they meant to eat? The hard stuff or the grosser wetter stuff? She eats both, I just wondered. She has a lovely habit of crapping on my bed then turning round to eat it while looking directly at me.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 13, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

happyflurple posted:

Which type of poo poo are they meant to eat? The hard stuff or the grosser wetter stuff? She eats both, I just wondered. She has a lovely habit of crapping on my bed then turning round to eat it while looking directly at me.
Generally, rabbits re-ingest cecotropes which basically gives them a 2nd pass at getting nutrients out of the food.

Edit: The grosser wet ones.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 13, 2012

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha, thanks for the info :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The sticky ones are eaten because they're good for them. The hard ones are eaten to cause big piles of chewed-on crap that cause you misery and suffering.

Welcome to being a bunny owner!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha aye, that sounds spot on. Didn't realise they have such a penchant for evil, the last rabbit my friend had was the most affectionate, least troublesome little thing in the world.

Juppo's just weird. I've given her a sheet of kitchen roll to rip up in order to distract her from constantly finding my uni module handbooks and she's just laying on it and looking at me.

edit: and chinning the crate of beer I bought for later. Not a chance, bunny. And why does she think that scampering up to my feet as soon as I come back into my room and find her at my laptop cable will work?

Except it obviously does :3:

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 14, 2012

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rabbits should teach courses about how to manipulate people for the absolute maximum benefit. Although I suspect they'd just take your fee and either eat it or blow it on carrots.

Gordon loses her mind when she smells cinnamon. She's attacked me before, she will dig in garbage to get it.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Good info about the meds to keep in the house. What times would you say its most important to have a heated pad for bun?

Peanut had some green/yellow thick poop/liquid a while back, she would not take anything from the syringe, to the point where if we tried any more she would have hurt herself. We found that by squirting small amounts of the meds inside a folded lettuce leaf she would gobble them up in no time. Not sure what she got into but it prompted a lot more proofing. Keeping her from all the nooks and crannies not only saves us a lot of headache it forced her to be more social now she craves our attention and does adorable things if she doesn't get it right away. For example she will turn her back and occasionally look over like "come on pleasssee" or she will find something with one of our scents and lick it gratuitously while staring right at our faces.

My room is now completely bunnyproofed with many zipties and metal grates from target her cage is basically the litterbox and food/hay and she spends the rest of her time playing with us or sleeping in a few of her choice spots. We made a nice nest for her in a dark quiet spot with some knitting and a wooden house. She does not pee or poop anywhere besides her litter tray it is so great she gets it! We actually just got a much larger tray she had completely outgrown her little triangular one.

She makes the best faces.

>:|

This is her dad.

Her mom.

Some more pics of random ages

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

thArf posted:

Good info about the meds to keep in the house. What times would you say its most important to have a heated pad for bun?

It's good to have a way to warm your rabbit up if they've gone into GI stasis. Their body temperature drops, which is obviously bad. I've used a normal human heating pad in the past (with a towel over it), this is the first I've heard of SnuggleSafe discs, so I will look into those. The heating pad can be tricky due to the cord.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Bloody rabbit. She's sat on my phone AND my PS3 controller and grunts when I try to retrieve them :(

Think she's a bit special too, usually I sit on my bed when I'm in my room and when I shake her raisin packet she'll be on my lap in the blink of an eye. Except she does it when I'm stood in the middle of the room too, she'll skid across my bed then sit there and look utterly confused, it's pretty cute.

edit: a careless rustle of my pack of biscuits has just rewarded me with a rabbit landing on my back.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 18, 2012

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Zen seems to be doing better! She chased me around a bit today for breakfast and no longer spends all day/night lying in a corner. She's not as active as she used to be but seems to have better mobility in her back legs (as opposed to dragging them behind her as she was doing).

:3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

Zen seems to be doing better! She chased me around a bit today for breakfast and no longer spends all day/night lying in a corner. She's not as active as she used to be but seems to have better mobility in her back legs (as opposed to dragging them behind her as she was doing).

Yay, good news! Here's to hoping she continues to get better :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
yay Zen!!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, Harriet, when I want to pet you or play with you, you run away, or hide under the chair or etc. But, when I'm on my laptop editing screenshots, or trying to think of witty ways to call Sherlock Holmes an rear end in a top hat, you can't seem to get enough petting, or lying down on my keyboard.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

angelicism posted:

Ooh yay! I've been reading through this whole thread recently and have liked hearing about her exploits :3:

Speaking of bunny exploits, I put bunnykins in her cage this afternoon when I went out and came back to find her sat in front of my bedroom door eating one of my ginger biscuits. Sigh. Secured the cage, gave her a shitload of hay and said my goodbyes, she's now in the charge of (in charge of?) my housemate and, when he goes home, the love of my life.

They won't know what's hit them :D I miss her though and I really wish I could have brought her back to my parents place. Still, I'm only here for a week, but I've grown used to having bunny cuddles on an evening :3:

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 20, 2012

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

justFaye posted:

It's good to have a way to warm your rabbit up if they've gone into GI stasis. Their body temperature drops, which is obviously bad. I've used a normal human heating pad in the past (with a towel over it), this is the first I've heard of SnuggleSafe discs, so I will look into those. The heating pad can be tricky due to the cord.

Oops, a bit late, but yeah, this. They go into stasis and get cold, OR they can also go into stasis BECAUSE they're cold. My Holly went into stasis this year because she got too cold (weather had suddenly changed, and she's a 2 pound little ball of nothing). Cuddled her and put her in her carrier with a wrapped-up SnuggleSafe and she was eating again within minutes.

SnuggleSafe discs are great. No wires! Bit pricey, but worth it for the peace of mind.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sigh, me and Harriet had a little disagreement this morning. I wanted to bring her over to my parents while I stayed there for the holidays, and therefore I wanted her to get in her carrier. She would have rather remained at home. First, it was a verbal disagreement, with me nicely asking her, with treat in hand, to get in the carrier. She responded with growling. Then it got minorly physical, with me gently pushing her into it, and her nipping my hand. Then it got to be a battle, with me picking her up and putting her in it, and her turning into a squirming scratching biting growling ball of furry doom.

She is now sitting on my parents couch, getting cuddles from grandma, and being super happy about it.

I think I'm not going to have real children in my life. A bunny is bad enough.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Ah I'm sort of glad I left Juppo over the holidays, then! Though I miss her and I'm constantly checking up on her, left everyone with instructions a mile long. Told my mate to throw a duvet over the top of her cage so just the front is unobstructed, paranoid she'll get too cold cos that house is freezing. Though the heating is set to come on four times a day and oh god best stop worrying and trust my friends I guess.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Unless they're severely freezing their nuts off, rabbits are fine with less than cozy temperatures. They do after all have fur. (edit it's of course less of a worry if you have two because they can just snuggle up and stay warm).

And bunnyofdoom, since the two I have have been to the vet a few times I've developed a system. They know what's up as soon as I get their carriers out of storage and will hide and be apprehensive/hostile for a while. So that's why I do it several hours before the planned trip and grab them in a ruthless wrestling hold when their guard is down. There is no reasoning when it comes to getting a rabbit into a carrier. Show no mercy!

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Merry Christmas, bunny thread!

Not pictured: Holly trying to bite off my beautifully polished thumb nail. :sassargh:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

DS at Night posted:

Unless they're severely freezing their nuts off, rabbits are fine with less than cozy temperatures. They do after all have fur. (edit it's of course less of a worry if you have two because they can just snuggle up and stay warm).

Good to know :) I'd love to have two, it's a consideration when I move into my new place next year. Dunno if I could cope having two to police whilst they can't have their own room!

No need for me to worry about Juppo anyway, I was kinda (very) worried that the girl I've been seeing, who I assigned to look after her, hadn't been to see her as I'd not heard anything. Got word this morning that she's ill, but she'd still been out to see Juppo yesterday afternoon and all is well. And that she's saved her a baby carrot and some other veggie bits and pieces to take her tomorrow.

Seems like they're in love, ha. Last time I saw them together Juppo was charging at her and barking and she was going 'get that loving thing back in its cage'.

Knew one of them would charm the other in the end and it seems like the bunny got the upper hand ;)

edit: They are the most adorable pictures! Makes me wish I'd left Juppo's presents unwrapped but I wanted to see what me Mum had got her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet got spoiled. She got a new toy carrot, stuffed with strawberries from my parents, and I got her a playtube, and kale.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Pixel is loving Christmas. She gets all the cardboard boxes things come in!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
We're three states away to see family for the holidays but when we get home, we're spoiling our bunny! For now, she'll have to settle for being spoiled by the bunnysitter. :3:

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I was lucky enough to get to spend Christmas with my buns!

I'm trying to bond them at the moment, it's not going well :(

Bun will groom Blaze's face, then she'll put her head down to be groomed in return, he'll sit and stare at her and she'll move closer...and closer...and he doesn't move a muscle - then she gets impatient and growls and bites him.

The vet said that Blaze seems to have been very abused in the past, and is very confused and a bit depressed. Though he binkied a few times today so we're on the right track. Bun has no time for him at all unfortunately, she's an impatient bun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet and me Sat on the couch and watxhed Hockey. She actually hopped up and watched it and didn't move. True canuck bun

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Pixel is loving Christmas. She gets all the cardboard boxes things come in!

Yeah, my apartment has turned into a cardboard box explosion. Need to figure out if I can figure out something more fort-like for mine.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

angelicism posted:

Yeah, my apartment has turned into a cardboard box explosion. Need to figure out if I can figure out something more fort-like for mine.

We got a Maze Haven for Tobias for Christmas after we got tired of tripping over cardboard box forts. It's really well designed, actually, and using one "room" as a feeder is a great way to keep hay dust down.

Yeah, I know, I paid $30 for cardboard. At least the rabbit approves of it.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Got home an hour ago to find Juppo sat in her litter tray looking at me like 'and where the hell have you been?'.

Pretty chuffed that she's used the tray as intended, as I only put it in the day I left. So was a quick clean up job and absolutely no smell. Ace :D

Now she's binkying like mad round the room and eating all the exciting new boxes I've brought home. Missed her hehe :3:

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
I got an unexpected Christmas present this year...the flu that's been going around. As such I spent all of Christmas day laying on the couch, suffering from simultaneous chills, sweats, fever, coughing and generally feeling like death. What little energy I had I used up in the morning to clean Seras's cage and feed her, then was pretty much out of commission for the rest of the day. The funny thing was, I think she knew something was wrong; instead of running around and enjoying the day long freedom she doesn't usually get, she sat right under the tree and just watched me the whole day. When I finally decided to put her up and go to bed, she went immediately to her cage instead of having me chase her around for a few minutes like usual. I worried I might have gotten her sick too (can bunnies catch the flu? I made sure to wash my hands before feeding her or giving her treats), but the next day, when I had a little more strength and managed to walk around a bit she was back to her usual explorer self, sniffing everything and binking around like a madwoman.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Happy holidays everybody, sounds like you all had a good time as well as your buns. Peanut is loving her new sisal string carrot.

I'm having the hardest time cutting her nails she doesn't want any part of it. Any suggestions guys? Are the quicks going to grow out and make this even worse?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
My 4-year-old dwarf male just started chasing and trying to hump my very timid 2-year-old dwarf female's head and butt. I've seen him chase her like this on occasion and THOUGHT that's what he was doing but wasn't sure, but this is the first time I've actually seen him hump her. They've both been fixed since I got them. Google tells me this is normal dominance-establishing behavior, but I just wanted some more opinions/confirmation that this is the case, and that I don't need to separate them or anything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet and I have seem to created a new game. I'll place a treat between my feet. She'll try to sneak up and snatch it. If I spot her, she'll binky, run, hide, then try again from a different direction. I think I should start playing the MGS OST when I do this now. Tactical bunny action?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

blinkeve1826 posted:

My 4-year-old dwarf male just started chasing and trying to hump my very timid 2-year-old dwarf female's head and butt. I've seen him chase her like this on occasion and THOUGHT that's what he was doing but wasn't sure, but this is the first time I've actually seen him hump her. They've both been fixed since I got them. Google tells me this is normal dominance-establishing behavior, but I just wanted some more opinions/confirmation that this is the case, and that I don't need to separate them or anything.

As long as she puts up with it this behaviour should be fine. The dominance humping will stop once the pecking order is established.

If the female starts growling or releasing a really bad odor (trust me, you'll know if this happens) you should separate them.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

The World's Least Friendly Bunny is not happy that I've moved the boxes she was hiding behind. Sorry bunny, you have plenty of other places to hide under in here and as much as I love you I need to keep my room tidy and I am pretty sure there are no vultures.

Getting her spayed on the 7th when my student loan comes in. Sorted out pet insurance too so that's a weight off my mind.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Hey, my bunny Pixel is a super nervous young girl who we've had since early October (we got her from the Humane Soceity who found her as a stray and I suspect she's both had bad people experiences and moved homes too many times too quickly). She grunts at and charges most people, though I'm starting to really break through to her, I think. Thing is, she's taken a serious dislike to my mom, who's decided Pixel has behavioural problems (Pixel's scared of peopli in general but Mom won't believe the rabbit specifically dislikes her). My mom has lived with animals all her life, including another rabbit, and I really don't see her doing anything wrong. Any ideas on how to warm Pixel up to my mom and people in general?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

thArf posted:

Happy holidays everybody, sounds like you all had a good time as well as your buns. Peanut is loving her new sisal string carrot.

I'm having the hardest time cutting her nails she doesn't want any part of it. Any suggestions guys? Are the quicks going to grow out and make this even worse?

I didn't cut Wascal's nails for the first 9 months I owned him and when I finally did get some clippers his claws were like Wolverine or something, but his cuticles seemed to be normal length.

I don't know if this advice will apply to Peanut, but with Wascal, the way I manage to cut them is to hold him in my right arm so all of his legs are sort of dangling in the air, and then doing one paw, or part of one paw, each day. I'll stop when he starts fidgeting. Holding him in such a way seems to prevent him struggling and kicking so much; he doesn't have anything to kick against. From what I gather he's a pretty mellow rabbit when it comes to being handled so your mileage may vary.

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Any ideas on how to warm Pixel up to my mom and people in general?

If you're the one who gives Pixel food, try having your mom take that chore over or share in it. Wascal lights up when he sees me come into the living room after waking up in the morning or coming home after work, for I am the Giver of Cilantro, Kibble, and Hay.

gizmojumpjet fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 1, 2013

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Hello again, bunny thread! I adopted a neutered Flemish giant boy a few weeks ago from a home that couldn't handle his needs along with three children and a dog. I haven't had a house rabbit since Juniper, my previous Flemish, passed away a few years ago. This new boy is 1.5 years old and a big love. He is smaller than June was but has similar personality and has been a fabulous house rabbit so far. I would like to eventually have the house totally, thoroughly bunny proofed and let him truly free range all the time, but for now he is relegated to a large xpen and supervised time out of it. He mostly loafs around between bouts of tossing toys, digging in his phonebook, and binkying at me or the cat. I love him :3: As a bonus, he is the only magpie Flemish I have ever seen.

Size comparison with my lady hand:

Wash my face

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha, what amazing colours, never seen owt like it! He's definitely got that annoyed rabbit look down pat.

Just gave Juppo a handful of herbs and veg and she went through them at lightning speed and then pancaked on my bed. Happy bunny is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My bunnies are determined to make my life difficult all at once. Now that Zen is recovered Frith has decided it's his turn for 100% attention. He hasn't eaten since this morning, and this is very unlike him since he usually eats anything that isn't moving fast enough. If he's still not eating by tomorrow morning I'll take him in but meanwhile I have some CC I have shoved into his mouth. How do I do the belly rub to help his digestion?

EDIT: He seems to be nibbling on some hay so hopefully it was just a morning indigestion thing. *crosses fingers*

EDIT x 2: Still not really eating. :/

angelicism fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 4, 2013