Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DS at Night posted:

It usually means they're about to try to have sex with something.

What a wonderful thing to think about first thing in the morning with a bunny 2 inches from your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I'd been holding off cutting Arya's nails, hoping she'd get a bit more socialized before I had to traumatize her. Then when we finally got down to it, she was having none of the bun-rito. She's already quite a spaz when it comes to human contact thanks to her previous owners, so I was nervous about how it would go. Then I tried trancing her and she tranced amazingly!

(I was playing with her paw to demonstrate her utter calmness) When we started her head was up, as as time passed it slowwwwly slipped farther and farther down until I was really supporting it with my knees. It was adorable, especially because she's usually so jumpy.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
My bunny Pixel bites her nails. Does that mean I don't have to worry about cutting them? She's a really timid thing and she freaks when I pick her up so it's almost impossible to do.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks PYF! :frogsiren: BUNNY ISLAND :frogsiren: Gotta get to that island.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god please tell me they're all fixed.

EDIT: Oh they're wild but friendly.

Isn't there also a Japanese island that is infested with cats? What's with the Japanese and dedicating islands to adorable animals?

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I realllllly wanna go there, they all look friendlier than mine.

Speaking of, I know I was complaining that she doesn't play in boxes the other day but I've since changed my mind. This morning I let her out and she was sat next to me on the bed. I went to the loo or something and when I came back she'd vanished. Figured she was under her hiding chair or whatever, walked over to open the window, and she leapt out at me from inside an empty crate of beer.

Rabbits are twisted.

Edit: She got me again this morning when I bent down to pick up some papers from near her cage and I didn't notice she was under the chair. I actually screamed. When I get my new place I am making sure it's either got wooden floors or a light carpet. Black rabbits + dark carpet + poo poo eyesight = constant terror

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 17, 2013

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Freed some rabbits today from a life of being drooled at/attacked by a huge dog and neglected by their owner.

Taking them to their new home on Sunday.

My rabbit Lily went to investigate then PANICKED. Had to calm her down with a treat.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Paterson sneezed a few times earlier so I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon. I would give it a day to see if it was a fluke but the next appointment the vet I like has is in a week and he has had the snuffles before. I don't want to risk it :/

I'm also going to get the vet to trim both of their nails so yay for that!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Aw, hope he's ok <3

Juppo has been unusually affectionate today. I've been pretty down and instead of sitting on the other side of the bed and demanding petting, she's been sat snuggled up on my knee. Seems she's not entirely evil and it's made me feel a lot better to have such an utter bastard cuddled up to me cos she knows I'm sad :) I cried earlier and she got all up in my grill and started licking my chin.

She is my bestest bunny buddy :3:

edit: Are hemp rolling papers ok for rabbits? She goes mad for mine when she sees them. I rip the gum off them and let her have the rest and she goes mental tearing them up.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 18, 2013

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

pseudonordic posted:

I had to do a lot of digging for this <:mad:>

Does anyone have the "It is a rabbit" chart still? I was thinking about it today and I guess waffleimages is gone. :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

The Hebug posted:

Does anyone have the "It is a rabbit" chart still? I was thinking about it today and I guess waffleimages is gone. :(

Rehosted!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

"Why can't I hold my rabbit without being hurt?" is the best.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had to put down my pet rabbit after almost nine years yesterday. He'd lived without use of his front right leg for about eight months, and just last week his back leg on the same side went bad. He lost use of that leg really fast, but we were prepared for something like that. It's funny how rabbits will stick to their routine even when they're ill. He was a fighter, all the way up to the end. He kept trying to get up and move around even after the vet sedated him. Holland Lops really earn their reputation for stubbornness. He'd lived his life on his terms, and he was still trying to eat and drink and play with his toys, even when he could barely get around his cage. Nice work, rabbit. You were a good friend.

I'd post pictures, but I never took any. I'm not the photography sort.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your bunny lived a good life with an owner who tried very hard to accomodate his needs. I'm sure he will be greatly missed :(

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Sorry to hear that, always sucks to lose a pet, never mind one that's been with you that long. Much love.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:( Hard to put down a pet. Of course, you can be happy he had a long, happy life as a beloved pet. Never a bad thing.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I had to put down my pet rabbit after almost nine years yesterday.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've only had Seras for about 2 and a half months now, but I'd be heartbroken to lose her.

I see many people's buns are the affectionate type...anyone else have one that isn't? Seras seems not to give two shits if I or anyone else is around, she just kind of does her own thing. Either exploring and sniffing at everything in the place, running in cirles like a lunatic, chewing on any clothes I've carelessly left on the floor, or just chilling under the kitchen table. She hates when I try to put her on my lap or snuggle with her, and will take off running if I so much as bend down towards her. She does however like biting my toes if I'm sitting at the table barefoot.

Is her running from me a sign she wants to play or that she's scared? If I'm walking around she'll occasionally follow me to see what I'm up to, especially if I'm near her cage, but other than that she seems to have no interest in interacting with me unless I'm giving her a treat.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, i've had my rabbit Ellie for about 4 years and she is a bit stand-offish at the best of times. She'll wander over to me occasionally when she's out and about and she is usually very interested in other folks when they come into the room she's in but other than that she kind of does her own thing.

The only time i'd described her as affectionate is when i have food she wants or sometimes when i'm cleaning her cage up she'll push her head toward my hand looking for head-rubs.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Wormy posted:

I see many people's buns are the affectionate type...anyone else have one that isn't?... she seems to have no interest in interacting with me unless I'm giving her a treat.

You just described our polish dwarf. If she didn't need us in order to get her precious oatmeal, I'm sure she'd rather we were dead.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Wormy posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. I've only had Seras for about 2 and a half months now, but I'd be heartbroken to lose her.

I see many people's buns are the affectionate type...anyone else have one that isn't? Seras seems not to give two shits if I or anyone else is around, she just kind of does her own thing. Either exploring and sniffing at everything in the place, running in cirles like a lunatic, chewing on any clothes I've carelessly left on the floor, or just chilling under the kitchen table. She hates when I try to put her on my lap or snuggle with her, and will take off running if I so much as bend down towards her. She does however like biting my toes if I'm sitting at the table barefoot.

Is her running from me a sign she wants to play or that she's scared? If I'm walking around she'll occasionally follow me to see what I'm up to, especially if I'm near her cage, but other than that she seems to have no interest in interacting with me unless I'm giving her a treat.

Yeaaahhh, mine isn't too affectionate either. When I first looked after her for my mate she would spend all her time out of the cage just hiding under the sofa. When I finally took custody of her, it took her a while for her to let me near her at all but now she'll come up and sit on the bed next to me and let me stroke her. Sometimes. I can't pick her up though, or she goes loving mental. That said, she doesn't like when I don't pay attention to her and on days when I leave her out overnight, she'll wake me up by scratching at my back or nibbling my hair.

Just discovered I can't eat a packet of crisps without her going mental, either. Sticks her head in my face, in the packet, I offer her a crisp, she turns her nose up at it and then...keeps shoving her face in the pack.

Bunnies.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

happyflurple posted:

Just discovered I can't eat a packet of crisps without her going mental, either. Sticks her head in my face, in the packet, I offer her a crisp, she turns her nose up at it and then...keeps shoving her face in the pack.

Do you give her treats/food from a crackly bag? Tobias does this and it's because he hears the cellophane crackle and thinks he's getting a banana chip (I think).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Neither of my rabbits cuddled, and my latest rabbit didn't really like to be held. My experience with rabbits is that, for the most part, they prefer to play on their own terms. When my rabbit wanted attention, he'd run up and hit you with his front paws. Then when he was done he'd go play. He liked to be near people without cuddling up with them: he used to lay down nearby, but didn't sit in laps or anything. The only time he'd get into my lap was if I ate a banana, and that was just so he could climb up me to try and get to the banana.

This seems to be pretty normal. Cuddly rabbits are the exception, not the norm.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, that's Seras in a nutshell. Only cares when she wants something to eat.

On the other hand, she seems to be whittling a shiv...pretty sure she's going to take me out prison-style and escape.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

My most evil one loves jumping up in my lap and snuggling up for some petting. It might be part of her master plan to make me not hate her no matter how much pain and anguish she inflicts. Or she's just plain crazy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wormy posted:

On the other hand, she seems to be whittling a shiv...pretty sure she's going to take me out prison-style and escape.

Escape? Nah, her litter box, toys and food are in your house. She just wants control of the pellet/leafies supply.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Remora posted:

Do you give her treats/food from a crackly bag? Tobias does this and it's because he hears the cellophane crackle and thinks he's getting a banana chip (I think).

I do yeah, anything that makes the slightest sound like that gets pounced on. I heard her this morning playing with what I assumed was a paper bag, looked over a bit later to see it was actually her bag of treats. I clapped and she swung round with her nose still in the bag looking at me guilty as owt.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'd really like to know if there's people round here who have more than two rabbits. I doubt they'd be more difficult to care for than one or two but personality wise... how much less likely is it that all of them would get along and not fight? My dopey lop would probably love having more rabbit buddies around but I also have my violent, bitey, territorial female dwarf and well I'd feel bad for any new rabbit being put into a cage with her. I can't say for certain that she would attack him but I just don't know what would happen.

I've been thinking a lot about these acquaintances of mine who have that one sad neglected rabbit in a tiny cage. Being terrorized by their new dog who gets all of the attention. They've even said they were sort of hoping he would die soon. The rabbit's like 6 years old. He'd be so happy with me I think. But my own rabbits have to come first.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moving rabbits to a new home is tricky, especially for such an old rabbit. They don't adjust easily. It would be difficult to adopt him even if you didn't have rabbits already, and having to get a rabbit who has lived alone most of his life to adjust to a new place and to other rabbits would be very difficult. It might be possible, but it would be a serious challenge.

Unfortunately, a lot of rabbits live like that one does. Too many people adopt rabbits and aren't prepared to care for them, or don't understand the kind of work they really take. If the rabbit seems really unhappy in its current home, and you're willing to put in the time and effort, it could work. If nothing else, you might be able to give him his own separate space and a fairly happy few years even if you can't introduce him to the other rabbits.

But think about the space you have available, whether you have a neutral space to try and introduce the new rabbit to your old ones and get them to bond, and what your options are if they simply can't bond. Also be aware that you're going to have to spend a ton of time with this rabbit to get him to adjust to his new space and bond with you as his new owner, and at six that might not be possible. Since he currently lives alone in a small cage, just giving him a new larger cage in a home with more attention may help, even if you can't let him out of his cage for a while. He'll be used to staying in his cage, and just having more space and attention could be better for him. Unfortunately, if he's been mistreated for this long, he might have too many behavioral problems to adjust at all. Whatever happens, he'd be a difficult rabbit to raise unless you get extremely lucky and end up with a well-adjusted rabbit despite how he's been living. Even if you do manage it, don't expect him to have more than a couple years left.

Edit: Obviously you'll be moving him into his own cage, and only giving him a shared cage if the other rabbits bond to him.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 27, 2013

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

FactsAreUseless posted:

Moving rabbits to a new home is tricky, especially for such an old rabbit. They don't adjust easily. It would be difficult to adopt him even if you didn't have rabbits already, and having to get a rabbit who has lived alone most of his life to adjust to a new place and to other rabbits would be very difficult. It might be possible, but it would be a serious challenge.

I don't really find this is true in my experience. I've taken in plenty of 6 year olds and they've adjusted to being house rabbits, survived being spayed/neutered, learned to eat a zero-pellet diet after growing up without hay or veg, and bonded with other bunnies with no problems.

I have 11 right now, most of whom I took in at 6 years because "poor thing, you only have a year or two left". LOL NOPE. One of them is 14+, which shouldn't even be possible, given that she already had uterine cancer when we got her. I just lost one of my 12 year olds, and bonded her 9 year old partner to a 10 year old who has been alone for 3 years since deciding he wanted to try and murder his brother. I've only got two rabbits left (including the 14 year old) who refuse to bond to other bunnies, but the singles seem delighted to live adjacent to someone else that they can threaten and posture at through the bars. They often eat and poop and play in rhythm with their neighbors, which indicates that they do get something out of being near other rabbits even if they can't be together.

Multiple rabbits is definitely a thing, but it also is definitely harder than a single pair, and it puts you in crazy rabbit lady territory since you usually have to have multiple cages and do rotating out-time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's good to hear, everything I've heard is that rabbits don't adjust well to new situations. Mine sulked under the couch for a week after I moved his cage from one side of my room to another. But I've only had a couple rabbits, it sounds like you have a lot more experience.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I currently have two who are about .. 5 years old I think. They've lived alone most of their lives. I got one from a flatmate when I moved because we decided they'd be happier together. I never took the "rabbits must be with their own kind" motto to heart because I had very limited space at the time and thought that with the large amount of time I spend at home Billy would be fine. It's only after I moved and put them together that I know for a fact that they're so much happier to be a duo. I mention this because I'd assumed it would be a nightmare to get them to accept each other after this time but they really surprised me with how quickly they took to each other. All it took was a couple of bathroom dates.

They also reacted quite well to my having moved twice in the past year. Aside from the First Night In A New House freakout, that is. But we all have those. So I'm hoping that's a good sign.

As far as behavioral problems go I already have a lot of experience with Tsjoe the pissing poo poo-eating barracuda wonder bunny. I doubt this other rabbit would display worse behavior, especially not in a place that's nothing but peace, quiet and toys. And no two small kids or a dog. Really it's Tsjoe the female dwarf who would be the main reason for me not to get this third rabbit. She has a lot of terrible habits that she's only recently started to unlearn and she's insanely food aggressive. I would be dreading how to figure out how to feed three rabbits separately. If I ever was away from the house for more than a day I would not know what to do with them. Not to mention lately I've been on a rather tight budget. These are all some fairly important reasons not to try and get this third rabbit here. I really was hoping for some kind of "only slightly worse than caring for two" answer. I feel so bad for him :(

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Obviously you'll be moving him into his own cage, and only giving him a shared cage if the other rabbits bond to him.

I would never just plop a new rabbit down with these two in their own territory and expect him not to get the poo poo kicked out of him immediately.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Just how "close" are bonded bunnies, usually? We had our male bonded to a female by the great people at the Austin House Rabbit Resource Network and just picked them up yesterday. They're bonded enough that they don't fight in tight spaces, but at the same time, the male seems a bit indifferent about his new lady friend. He'll groom her sometimes, but otherwise, he seems just fine sitting at the opposite end of the pen we have them in. We're keeping them in a smallish pen to make sure the bond "sticks," but we're wondering, is this maybe as friendly as they'll get? Or, should they constantly be snuggling together and stuff? Or is the main sign that they're successfully bonded that they don't fight over territory?

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 29, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rabbits that are bonded will start to mirror each other's behaviour. Eating at the same time, sitting/resting/sleeping at the same time, be active at similar times. Actually laying curled up to each other isn't a huge part of bonding, though it does tend to happen. As long as they aren't fighting it's fine.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet is being weirdly affectionate lately. Like constantly poking me to play with her or pet her. She's following me around more often and will rarely run away anymore unless we're playing. Has she adapted to me now?

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet is being weirdly affectionate lately. Like constantly poking me to play with her or pet her. She's following me around more often and will rarely run away anymore unless we're playing. Has she adapted to me now?

Sounds like it, I have a stray bun that was found wandering the streets, and it took a while before she liked any sort of attention and interaction. Now she loves her humans and needs to be near them all the time. My fiance works from home and she drags in her towel and sits under his desk all day. This is a point we never thought we'd get to.

I have a question re: bonding - we rescued another behaviorally challenged rabbit (a male lop) from a rescue centre. We introduced them a few times, but they don't seem to get on very well. They're okay at the start, they groom each other and don't pay much heed to the other, but after a short while he'll start trying to mount her, or even try to go near her, and she'll growl, lunge, and either start grooming him, or else run away. We've switched over their rooms, swapped their bowls, beds and litter trays, but its been a couple of months now and she still seems to lose patience with him and growls. At what point do I give up and send him back?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It can take quite a while to bond rabbits. The two my ex and I had took nearly two years before they wouldn't fight and now they're quite happy together. Just keep them in close cages and work at it. 10 minutes a day of closely supervised together time, separate play time, feed them at the same time. You can also try giving them a little bit of greens during their together time.

Also, you'll have to realize that if you send back the male lop he may not get adopted by anyone else at this point, and that would be sad.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Yes! I rang the guy from the rescue about him afterwards, to say he was a) deaf and b) COMPLETELY CRAZY with the biting and the claws and the "DO NOT TOUCH!!", he said if he wasn't working out to bring him back, that he may just not be suitable for adoption. I know what that means, so he's not going back, I suppose. He might be Satan Incarnate but I don't want him to die :(
I just don't want my precious little lady bunny upset, and hearing her growling is AWFUL.

Okay well, if it can still happen after two years, then that's something to work towards, I guess. They interact quite nicely, then the grooming starts, then he tries to get on top of her, she growls, and then the slowest chase ever begins - she hops about two feet away, he hops after her, tries again, she hops two feet away, he hops after her....then eventually she growls at him if he even makes eye contact with her.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
What should be an obvious question but...is he neutered? If not, he is probably not going to stop. He sees, and smells, a doe, and his instincts would be telling him to mate with her.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Yup, she's spayed and he's neutered. She was spayed last October, and he was neutered sometime towards the end of November, just before I adopted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Silverfish posted:

Yup, she's spayed and he's neutered. She was spayed last October, and he was neutered sometime towards the end of November, just before I adopted him.

How old is he? If he isn't young and has spent most of his life unaltered it may still be the instinct to mate in him. Much like some male dogs will still try and hump female dogs after they have been neutered. It may fade over time, but the "groom and then hump" is definitely bunny mating behavior. The female's reaction is also the not an unusual reaction of a doe who has never mated.