Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Dr. Chaco posted:

Actually the most common intestinal parasites are transmitted by consuming the eggs, or eating a mouse or other small critter with an intermediate life stage.

Regardless, it's not normal to diagnose a parasite like intestinal worms from a blood test, so this may not even be an issue.

Her mom had worms while she was nursing. The blood test indicated a high white blood cell count which could be indicative of worms as well. We need a stool sample to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Keeks has been Very Into drinking from our dripping tub faucet lately, which makes me think it is time to upgrade her from waterbowl to cat fountain. Is this a good model, does anyone know? I don't want to spend a WHOLE lot of money until I know she'll use it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063446M

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

kaworu posted:

I like to hear stories about anti-social older cats changing their ways like that, though. Because as much as I totally love and adore and worship my Jackie-cat, well... I'd like another cat someday, maybe. And I'd like to think that someday maybe Jackie could find a friend. The thing about Jackie is that she is just SO submissive and gentle and uninterested in play. All she seems to want out of life is a devoted human who gives her attention, food, love, attention, and food - but the nice thing is that Jackie's extremely loyal and trusting in turn. Other animals do not appear to figure into her needs at all and have actively impeded them in the past. But I like to think that if she found a cat similar to herself who did not want to tussle or play but just peaceably coexist and cuddle, then it could work out. But Jackie is so possessive and jealous of me around other people and animals that I don't know.

Your cat sounds a lot like Oscar and Stanley. They weren't particularly interested in play and mostly just liked to lay about and have cuddles with their people. Oscar was so jealous of my friend's mum, he'd sometimes get annoyed when her brother would get too near to her - especially when he was on her lap.

Oscar and Stan would just sit next to each other, staring into space and looking grumpy. I think they did groom each other on occasion, but that was quite rare - they just seemed to enjoy each others' company.

My friend's mum would be in the kitchen when Stan would appear at the window, wanting come in to visit his pal. Oscar would also go to her neighbour's place next door and do the same thing. Then the staring into space would commence.

Stinkyhead
Jul 6, 2007

that's a pretty stinky looking head
I just adopted this handsome fellow from the shelter:

His name is Tony and he is a three-legged half-Siamese. He seems to be adapting very well to his home, but one thing that I noticed was that he tends to bob his head up and down occasionally, especially when he is scoping out his new surroundings. His papers do not show any medical problems and I was told he was a very healthy cat. I also noticed that he has been scratching his ear occasionally, which sort of made me worry that there could be some sort of inner-ear balance related problem. Is this indicative of something he should be taken to the vet for, or am I just being overly fretful? :ohdear: He seems quite fine aside from this, and is able to get around very well on three legs.

- Age 7
- Sex Male
- How long have you had your cat? Two days
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Neutered
- What food do you use? I am tapering him off the shelter food and switching him to Innova EVO Herring and Salmon.
- When was your last vet visit? I have not had the chance to take him to the vet, but I think I will within a week or two.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only
- How many pets in your household? Just him and a chihuahua
- How many litter boxes do you have? One currently

Stinkyhead fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 5, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Dr. Chaco posted:

Actually the most common intestinal parasites are transmitted by consuming the eggs, or eating a mouse or other small critter with an intermediate life stage.

You are correct about the eggs, which is what I meant.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Stinkyhead posted:

I just adopted this handsome fellow from the shelter:

His name is Tony and he is a three-legged half-Siamese. He seems to be adapting very well to his home, but one thing that I noticed was that he tends to bob his head up and down occasionally, especially when he is scoping out his new surroundings. His papers do not show any medical problems and I was told he was a very healthy cat. I also noticed that he has been scratching his ear occasionally, which sort of made me worry that there could be some sort of inner-ear balance related problem. Is this indicative of something he should be taken to the vet for, or am I just being overly fretful? :ohdear: He seems quite fine aside from this, and is able to get around very well on three legs.

If he's sorta bobbing his head to the side + scratching at one ear more than the other, it could definitely indicate an ear infection. Get that vet checkup scheduled; even if he hasn't got an infection, it's always a good idea to get yourself set up with a vet and make sure you're in their system before you NEED them suddenly. Also often shelter cats come home with kitty colds or other small things that can be good to know about.

Most importantly, your picture link doesn't work.

Tendai posted:

Keeks has been Very Into drinking from our dripping tub faucet lately, which makes me think it is time to upgrade her from waterbowl to cat fountain. Is this a good model, does anyone know? I don't want to spend a WHOLE lot of money until I know she'll use it.

Drinkwell is fine, yeah. I have a FreshFlow that is very similar to that and works fine. One tip- put it on a rubber mat or something so she can't push it around like the world's messiest hockey puck.

Reene posted:

Jesus Christ my cat is shedding a lot. He's a short haired cat, where the hell is it all coming from?! :psyduck:

I think I need a new brush. It looks like he has a little dandruff too. Hmm.

How recently did you start feeding him the SG? Is he overweight at all? Are there any new sources of stress? E.g. moving house, moving furniture, changes in people who're around, new cats in the neighborhood making faces at him through the window, other new animals. If none of those, I'd take him to the vet just to rule out illness. Often they shed/dandruff when stressed out.

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea what Holly thins of me besides "food machine". She either tolerates my existence, doesn't care, begs for food, or bites/scratches me after leading me over with meows and purrs. But every time she proves herself to be an rear end in a top hat she later does something cute like chase a laser dot or let me scratch her chin and I'm like "MAYBE you are cool, cat. Maybe."

:sun: Torties.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Your cat sounds a lot like Oscar and Stanley. They weren't particularly interested in play and mostly just liked to lay about and have cuddles with their people. Oscar was so jealous of my friend's mum, he'd sometimes get annoyed when her brother would get too near to her - especially when he was on her lap.

Oscar and Stan would just sit next to each other, staring into space and looking grumpy. I think they did groom each other on occasion, but that was quite rare - they just seemed to enjoy each others' company.

My friend's mum would be in the kitchen when Stan would appear at the window, wanting come in to visit his pal. Oscar would also go to her neighbour's place next door and do the same thing. Then the staring into space would commence.

This post is actually really funny to me, because one of Jackie's oddest quirks is her tendency to just... stare into space. And not in a nonchalant "I have nothing better to do until something interesting comes along" way that every other cat I've ever known stares into space. Jackie stares into space intently, as if it's an activity in and of itself. She gets upset when I interrupt her sometimes! Which sounds similar to your Oscar and Stanley. Who are probably awesome cats if they're anything like Jackie (who also looks grumpy most of the time).

It was actually funny, my mom came by my apartment yesterday in part to see Jackie - I've been reclusive lately and haven't had like any guests so or about a month I don't think Jackie has even seen another human besides me, and she's been acting weird about some of her behavior lately, nothing troubling just not quite normal for Jackie. Anyway I wanted my mom to just come by for a few reasons but also to say hi to Jackie and make sure I got a second opinion on Jack seeming OK in general. Everything's fine, but it was funny because I think my mom was legitimately jealous of Jackie for the first time, because she really got see just how open and trusting and nonviolent Jackie. My mom has two cats who fight and scratch and hiss and growl for play constantly, and are very skittish and choosy about interacting with humans. One of them will wound you seriously if you so much as approach her the wrong way.

So yeah, my mom totally wanted to take my cat home. And I felt some legit pride, because I like to think part of Jackie being *so* trusting and open (she wasn't in her last home) has to do with how well I've treated her the past couple years. And since she's the first living creature ever to be fully dependent on me, well, it just feels really really great to have *my* mom complementing me on what a good "mom" I've been to my first pet... Uhm, even though I'm a guy.

Slight digression: is that weird? I think it's weird. I don't necessarily feel like a "parent" to my cat but if I did I'd feel much more like a "mom" than a "dad". And I don't really even know why :catstare: Maybe because dadcats have nothing whatsoever to do with raising their young.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Well, the stray I have brought in has been spending about a month in a half in casa del mad pino rage. Fortunately, he's puked on a paper plate in the middle of perfectly puke worthy carpet, and stuck his butt out of a cove in a cat tree to dump a steaming hot pile of liquidy cat poo. However, that was about a week or two ago. He's still chasing the other male and beating up the queen whenever they get too close, but he actually touched noses with one of our kittens and he played with a toy. I'm really happy progress is being made.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

kaworu posted:

Slight digression: is that weird? I think it's weird. I don't necessarily feel like a "parent" to my cat but if I did I'd feel much more like a "mom" than a "dad". And I don't really even know why :catstare: Maybe because dadcats have nothing whatsoever to do with raising their young.

You and Jackie are so adorable! You are allowed to be a mom or a dad or whatever you want. :3:

Our cats like to stare into space as well. Not sure what they're picking up on, but we do live close to a military installation... :tinfoil:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Tendai posted:

Like Eggplant said, Drinkwell is fine; I just find them hard to clean.

I prefer to use the Pioneer one for my cat since it's mostly ceramic and dishwasher safe. That said, it's more of a bubbler than a spout.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-6...ds=pet+fountain

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I switched from dry food to wet food and I noticed my cat doesn't drink as much water anymore. Should I be concerned? I've added water to his wet food and he'll devour it all.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Geno posted:

I switched from dry food to wet food and I noticed my cat doesn't drink as much water anymore. Should I be concerned? I've added water to his wet food and he'll devour it all.
That's normal (and I'd probably go so far as to say ideal :)). Cats have a really low thirst drive, so most cats need to be bordering on dehydrated before they'll drink water from a bowl. A cat that eats wet food and never drinks is typically way better hydrated than a cat who eats dry food and drinks regularly.

I feed only canned food, and one of my cats hasn't consumed water from a bowl in years. I catch the other one drinking about once a month.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
It's fine. If you switched from eating dry cereal to cereal and milk, you would be less thirsty too.

uptown
May 16, 2009
When my cat was having urinary problems the vet specifically said to feed him more wet because (1) they love it and will eat it and (2) it will help hydrate them. So I wouldn't worry too much unless your cat stops drinking entirely, that wouldn't be great.

I posted this in the puppy thread but there's a slapfight going on in there so I'm just going to ask here...

So my dog Shanti (almost 9 months old) is a giant. He is a Newfie, and as he gets bigger and bigger, my cat hates him more and more. They usually ignore each other, but at about midnight the cat will start making this low growl/hiss/horrible sounding meow symphony at him, and the dog will respond by growling playfully and barking. This makes the cat more upset. They typically don't stop this until the cat a) backs down or b) tries to attack my dog. Both are not good options. How do I make them get along (and let me sleep, Christ, it's midnight!) I've taken to kicking my dog out of the room once it starts, then letting him back in a few hours later when the cat is sleeping, but that's not really an ideal solution. How do I get them to coexist?

For additional info: My cat has never liked dogs, but he lived with my mom's dog for a few years and though they didn't cuddle or play, they did coexist peacefully with no fights. My mom's dog is a Golden Retriever, so he's also pretty large compared to a cat. Also, I don't get why it only happens around midnight when all I want to go is wind down and get to bed.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I found this interesting, my past experience has always been that cats love them some wet food but we got a pair of kittens a few weeks ago and they actually quite prefer our older cat's dry food to the wet stuff.

The dry food is the stuff from the vet (royal canin?) and the wet food is Wellness grain free chicken. They'll nibble at the wet food or eat it a bit when they get shut away in their room at night and can't get to the dry food but as soon as we open the door in the morning they'll make a beeline for the dry food.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

uptown posted:

When my cat was having urinary problems the vet specifically said to feed him more wet because (1) they love it and will eat it and (2) it will help hydrate them. So I wouldn't worry too much unless your cat stops drinking entirely, that wouldn't be great.

I posted this in the puppy thread but there's a slapfight going on in there so I'm just going to ask here...

So my dog Shanti (almost 9 months old) is a giant. He is a Newfie, and as he gets bigger and bigger, my cat hates him more and more. They usually ignore each other, but at about midnight the cat will start making this low growl/hiss/horrible sounding meow symphony at him, and the dog will respond by growling playfully and barking. This makes the cat more upset. They typically don't stop this until the cat a) backs down or b) tries to attack my dog. Both are not good options. How do I make them get along (and let me sleep, Christ, it's midnight!) I've taken to kicking my dog out of the room once it starts, then letting him back in a few hours later when the cat is sleeping, but that's not really an ideal solution. How do I get them to coexist?

For additional info: My cat has never liked dogs, but he lived with my mom's dog for a few years and though they didn't cuddle or play, they did coexist peacefully with no fights. My mom's dog is a Golden Retriever, so he's also pretty large compared to a cat. Also, I don't get why it only happens around midnight when all I want to go is wind down and get to bed.

Does your cat have vertical spaces it is allowed to access? You can install "cat steps" (ascending shelving) or put a cat tower in your room, and maybe if the cat feels it is safely up and away from the dog it will be happier?

...my cat Cave just fell asleep on my right arm, and now I have to reach over with my left hand to use the mouse. Can't wake a babbu up! :3:

uptown
May 16, 2009
He's got a lot of vertical spaces, but the only one in my bedroom is the top of the closet (where he does hang out quite a lot). I might get some ascending shelving for the bedroom as well, though. That might help him feel more comfortable at night when we're all trying to settle in for bed.

This is such a recent thing too. My dog usually sleeps outside of my bedroom, but lately he wants to be right at my bedside. I don't mind, but the kitty sure does.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Squibbles posted:

I found this interesting, my past experience has always been that cats love them some wet food but we got a pair of kittens a few weeks ago and they actually quite prefer our older cat's dry food to the wet stuff.

The dry food is the stuff from the vet (royal canin?) and the wet food is Wellness grain free chicken. They'll nibble at the wet food or eat it a bit when they get shut away in their room at night and can't get to the dry food but as soon as we open the door in the morning they'll make a beeline for the dry food.

That's because it's not meant for them. "If I can't have it, I want it" is an important cat law of behavior.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Squibbles posted:

Depending on where you get the kittens from, some people start them on dry food, so that's what they could be used to. Depending on the dry food, they'll have different coatings to make the kibble more palatable, which may or may not be tastier than the wet food you're using (to them). Some cats also like the texture/crunch of dry food more than the softness of wet.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Depending on where you get the kittens from, some people start them on dry food, so that's what they could be used to. Depending on the dry food, they'll have different coatings to make the kibble more palatable, which may or may not be tastier than the wet food you're using (to them). Some cats also like the texture/crunch of dry food more than the softness of wet.

They're currently 12ish weeks old and they were raised by the foster family on the same wet food we're giving them and they requested we keep feeding it to them for at least a month. But man do they ever loves them that kibble.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Following advice here and the nutrition thread I realised that GoCat is nothing but high carb garbage and switched Sampson to a high protein NutriCat food. He loves it and wolfs it down but he is also vomiting it back up everyday. Time to switch back and visit the vet I think :(

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Following advice here and the nutrition thread I realised that GoCat is nothing but high carb garbage and switched Sampson to a high protein NutriCat food. He loves it and wolfs it down but he is also vomiting it back up everyday. Time to switch back and visit the vet I think :(

Is Sampson's water next to his food? My cats had an issue where they would cram themselves full of food, which made them thirsty, then cram themselves full of water. This made them too full so they'd hork the lot back up. Putting the water and food bowls in separate rooms really helped stop that issue. It is good that you tried a higher-quality food, though! Don't get discouraged, cats are programmed to be difficult little buggers that we love anyways. :3:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

four lean hounds posted:

Is Sampson's water next to his food? My cats had an issue where they would cram themselves full of food, which made them thirsty, then cram themselves full of water. This made them too full so they'd hork the lot back up. Putting the water and food bowls in separate rooms really helped stop that issue. It is good that you tried a higher-quality food, though! Don't get discouraged, cats are programmed to be difficult little buggers that we love anyways. :3:

Actually yes, he's been drinking a lot more than usual too but I put that down to it being generally drier while I've had the heating on high since it's been so cold. I will try moving his pint glass (he won't drink from anything else). He's as playful, purring, kneading and cuddly as ever at least.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
I just had my kitten spayed at the local humane society five days ago, and she seems to be recovering well. She's full of energy in spite of her being stuck with an e-collar on because she just kept trying to lick at her incision mark. Now that she has her belly shaved, I noticed what I believe to be her belly button had some dry brown almost crusty like appearance around it. Upon further inspection, it also appeared somewhat red and had the appearance of a slightly open wound minus any bleeding or discharge as far as I can tell.

Her incision site appears to be lower and is still completely sealed up as far as I can tell. Am I just worrying about this? Is her belly button area normal? She doesn't appear sick as she is still very energetic and is eating/drinking in her regular amounts. There doesn't seem to be any real issue with her bowel movements either.

If she allows it I'll try to get a picture of it. I hope this isn't a ridiculous thing to ask about. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sex: Female
How long have you had your cat? A little over a month
Is your cat spayed or neutered? Spayed five days ago
What food do you use? IAMS Kitten Dry Food, Pro-care Kitten Wet Food
When was your last vet visit? Five days ago
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor Cat
How many pets in your household? Just the one
How many litter boxes do you have? One

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Did the vet use internal stitches? When Ozma got her surgery, a small little area got a bit inflamed/leaky and opened up a tiny bit. Turns out that's where the knot was - even though the stitches dissolve, it's harder for the body to dissolved a whole knot, so it sometimes starts to open up and push it out. My old vet just glued it back up. My new vet actually snipped it out to prevent further opening. It could be as simple as that. Neither vet charged me for the service, it was a really quick fix.

Stinkyhead
Jul 6, 2007

that's a pretty stinky looking head
Here are some more pictures of Tony taken by the folks at the shelter, as the previous link wasn't working so well :3: I'll be taking him for his post-adoption checkup at the vet very soon.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
That cat looks so loving bored.

:3:

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

Huntersoninski posted:

Did the vet use internal stitches?

Yes, internal dissolvable stitches were used along with a dissolvable glue on the external area. The incision site looks completely sealed though. I'm wondering if her belly button is slightly inflamed or maybe even opened up. I really need to get a picture of this, because I'm not explaining it well at all.

I will just have to take her in tomorrow to get this cleared up. My main concern was if this was life-threatening.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

I will just have to take her in tomorrow to get this cleared up. My main concern was if this was life-threatening.

If it's not super-inflamed or weeping or anything I doubt she'll die, just keep an eye on her and take her in. They may just glue her up.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

If it's not super-inflamed or weeping or anything I doubt she'll die, just keep an eye on her and take her in. They may just glue her up.

Thanks for the assistance!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Stinkyhead posted:

Here are some more pictures of Tony taken by the folks at the shelter, as the previous link wasn't working so well :3: I'll be taking him for his post-adoption checkup at the vet very soon.

That's one i do not give a gently caress catte. Good luck with him!

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Hey guys cat repellant question. We recently got a new bed that has a proper bed frame, with a space between the box spring and the floor. Our old bed had a pine frame that sat right on the floor with no box spring. One of our cats, Jack, has started crawling under the bed which is fine. Here's the thing. We had another bed in a guest bedroom with the same kind of bed frame/box spring combo (raised up off the floor) only the underside of the box spring was already torn up, so Jack used to climb up in there to hide out and sleep sometimes. Since we got the new bed we've caught him under there clawing at the underside of the box spring. We don't want him to tear it up, so I'm looking for some kind of anti-kitty spray I can spray under the bed to keep him out of there. Any suggestions on things that have worked for people here would be welcome.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for the cat fountain recommendations and comments! I'm tired of getting the :catstare: face if I dare to not turn on the tub tap while I'm in the bathroom.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Stinkyhead posted:

Oh, that cat is cute. I approve.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

CDX posted:

Hey guys cat repellant question. We recently got a new bed that has a proper bed frame, with a space between the box spring and the floor. Our old bed had a pine frame that sat right on the floor with no box spring. One of our cats, Jack, has started crawling under the bed which is fine. Here's the thing. We had another bed in a guest bedroom with the same kind of bed frame/box spring combo (raised up off the floor) only the underside of the box spring was already torn up, so Jack used to climb up in there to hide out and sleep sometimes. Since we got the new bed we've caught him under there clawing at the underside of the box spring. We don't want him to tear it up, so I'm looking for some kind of anti-kitty spray I can spray under the bed to keep him out of there. Any suggestions on things that have worked for people here would be welcome.

If you find an anti-kitty spray that works, PLEASE let me know, but as for clawing up/climbing into box springs, we had that problem with Pizza Brother. Our solution was to buy a sturdy but cheap fitted sheet at walmart and put it on the box spring upside-down for extra protection against curious kitties.

edit: maybe you could do that and hten cover the sheet in double-stick tape. Most cats hate that. Pete doesn't give a poo poo, but pet doesn't give a poo poo about anything. Yesterday he hopped on the counter AGAIN while I was pouring myself a cup of water, so I dumped the (barely full) cup on his head. He didn't. Even. FLINCH.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

CDX posted:

Put a fitted sheet upside down on the box spring. That'll make it harder anyway. Otherwise, Ssscat.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Anyone ever heard of a cat blood transfusion having no effect on PCV levels? Or cat was at 15 before and after. Our vet is completely perplexed.

Edit: The blood they were using was 75% live red cells

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 5, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Slickdrac posted:

Anyone ever heard of a cat blood transfusion having no effect on PCV levels? Or cat was at 15 before and after. Our vet is completely perplexed.

Edit: The blood they were using was 75% live red cells

What is causing the anemia?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CDX posted:

Measure bed size, go to local hardware store, buy cheapest sheet of wood/fiberboard of the same size.
Had one cat we had to do this with. Even cheap 1/8 inch or even 1/16 inch stuff will stop a cat from clawing it up. Also helps give a little more support :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I think we broke the cat :smith:

greazeball posted:

This is Mirabelle, we got her from the animal shelter about two weeks ago. She's about 6 months old, going to be spayed in Feb., not going outside til then although the shelter had a really nice indoor/outdoor setup for all their cats. She last saw the vet the week before we picked her up. We've only got one litterbox for her, and atm we're feeding her Josera kitten food which after reading the Pet Nutrition thread we'll be changing.

Basically she's gone from being a super playful attention whore to being so scared that she hides under the bed all day. I'm not sure what exactly happened so I'll just say everything that happened starting on Saturday.

The wife woke up first and did the normal routine where the cat has to be carried around or sit in her lap while she eats breakfast. Then she (the cat) was doing the normal knocking plastic bottle tops around loudly when I woke up. I had some food and read the internet while my wife brushed some of the knots out of Mirabelle's fur. They're pretty bad, we're just trying to keep them from spreading too much before we can get them shaved when she goes in to be spayed. We use one of those mattbreakers, so it's pretty tough going but she kind of lets us get on with it while she bites one of the other brushes, we don't have to hold or restrain her or anything like that. The weekend before I think my wife may have overdone it a bit, because there was a bald patch where kitty had licked herself on her tummy. Anyway, that was the weekend before.

I took a nap after this (I had surgery last week), and when I woke up my wife asked if the cat was with me. She hadn't seen her for 2 hours. We found her hiding in a totally new place, in this space between a couch and the wall, facing the wall. She crawled up on the couch when we found her, but she was in this strange posture with an arched back and her tail firmly wrapped around/behind her back legs and belly while she was walking and she was really tense. Then she did this arched-back walk to one of her usual hiding places under the couch. We figured something was up (maybe she ate something?) and called the vet and they said to bring her in.

We don't have free parking in town so I went to get the car while my wife got the cat in the carrier. Apparently it was a major ordeal, the cat got away and got out of the carrier a number of times and my wife had to drag her out from under the couch four times. She was noticeably better/more normal at the vet. The vet said she had a high heart rate and suggested that maybe she could have eaten one of my wife's pills for high blood pressure. We were told to monitor her but that things would probably get better now. Saturday night she slept in her favourite hiding spot under our bed, we just figured she was sleeping off whatever it was that freaked her out.

Since then, she hasn't really come out at all. On Sunday we got her to chase the cat dancer toy a little bit, she was moving fine and looked healthy again. But before long, she went back under the bed to a different spot way in the back (her normal spot is on a box near the foot of the bed). She came back to that normal spot where you can kind of pet her and she seemed to like that but we were only able to coax her out to her food bowl at dinner time. Yesterday I figured I'd just ignore her and make her come out to get the attention that until recently she desperately needed every second. I work/study at home and I was around most of the day and she didn't come out or make a peep all day. Last night she wouldn't come out at all for dinner so I stuck some food under the bed for her. This morning she was a little better, she started batting around a plastic bottle top in a corner of the bedroom, but she's been in there for the rest of the day. I miss her so I'll lay down and pet her under the bed a bit and then she'll come out and get properly petted, but she won't leave the room.

She's been peeing normally, only pooped a little bit but I expect she'll do her business while I'm at class this afternoon. She seems to be especially afraid of my wife which is really sad for her. The worst thing is that we have to take her to get spayed pretty soon (was supposed to be today but we postponed it on the vet's advice), so we're afraid that we'll have to go through all of this again.

What else can we do? Anyone else been through this? How can my wife get back in the cat's good books? This sucks. :(

edit: We've had her since Christmas. She spent maybe one day total under the bed before she came out and took over the house so she's been wandering around owning the place for 4-5 weeks.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 5, 2013