Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I've been nannying a three month old girl for the last few days, and I keep calling her a good bird. I'm broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

GUYS I MAY BE ADOPTING A SUN CONURE I"M EXCITED :neckbeard:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

GUYS I MAY BE ADOPTING A SUN CONURE I"M EXCITED :neckbeard:

:frogon:

Get ready for a ton of bleeding ears and bites fun and excitement!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Jinxie Monroe posted:

My husband and I had been thinking about getting another bird for a while, then in a flurry of sudden activity last night, this happened:

His previous owner had bought him and then realized that birds and 2 year old children don't mix. Poor guy is nameless, untamed and desperately needs his nails trimmed but I'm already completely in love with watching his antics. :3:

Is he a lineolated parakeet? What a cutie! His eyes are very black, is he still young? He'll tame pretty quickly if he is.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

:frogon:

Get ready for a ton of bleeding ears and bites fun and excitement!

I couldn't hear you over the sound of this awesome bird.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Wizard of Smart posted:

You aren't going to be able to sleep in over the sound of it either! :haw:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

Yayyyyy sun conure buddies! Is he/she nice?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I really want to know how loud those guys are in real life because Squirt is pretty drat loud, and now he just sort of blends into the background noise, and its weird when he isnt chattering away or whistling to us/himself.

It still hurts when he is on my shoulder and my partner comes home and he starts calling for her as loud as possible.

Side note, I got him a bigger bird bath and he loves it on hot days. Gonna try and take a video of him frolicking, and just falling off it like he did yesterday, because its hilarious.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I was talking to a goon in an IRC channel, at least I think he's a goon... he lives in Australia, and has a peach face lovebird.

Apparently, theres a wild rosella that they've named charlie that comes to the window daily to visit his lovebird, and when the window is open, even regurgitates some food for the little guy!

What a nice wild birdy!

I want to live where wild birds regurgitate for my bird, but giant spiders and stuff.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I want to live where wild birds regurgitate for my bird, but giant spiders and stuff.

Meh, you get used to them. Its the smaller redbacks that you need to worry about. The giant clockspiders dont hurt humans, but do a drat good job of keeping insects at bay.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

You aren't going to be able to sleep in over the sound of it either! :haw:

Who needs sleep anyway? :v:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yayyyyy sun conure buddies! Is he/she nice?

So far he's very nice! We think we've settled on Jack for the name. Also this is happening.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Wizard of Smart posted:

Who needs sleep anyway? :v:

So far he's very nice! We think we've settled on Jack for the name. Also this is happening.

D'awww. They're going to get on better than Ohtori and Steve ever did :v:

How old is he, what's his personality like?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Check out this place in Japan that has huge greenhouses with free-flighted parrots/toucans and a flock of 50 sun conures.

http://www.kamoltd.co.jp/kke/english/suiren2.htm

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Oh my god I am so mad at Iro right now. I love her to pieces but she is so flipping bad sometimes.

When she doesn't want to be in her cage (read: 100% of the time) she has taken to chewing at the front door of the cage. She tries to wedge her beak into the tiny gap and then force it open. The nature of the latch means that no matter how much she pushes, it just tightens the door, so it doesn't really matter except for the constant noise. She's learned not to yell constantly, doesn't try to kill the budgies and has improved a lot in that regard, but she's chosen to make loud noises in other ways. She masturbates loudly between 3 - 5 times a day despite being in darkness for 12 - 13 hours a day, and even that isn't enough for her because she constantly tries to get my hand to mate with her. She will chase my hand around and try to rub her vent on me. She will do this until I put her home. No toys or pets will distract her. I have no choice but to put her home when she does this and that's greatly reduced the amount of time she can be out with me, because that's all she wants to do. :(

I've already had to twisty tie both her water and food doors shut because she'll lift them and drop them for hours on end, often in the middle of the night. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. For hours. At 2AM. She doesn't go to sleep because it's dark like most birds. I wouldn't give so much of a poo poo about the door chewing except that I'm afraid she's going to shave off the cage's coating and end up ingesting it and dying.

I'm just trying to protect her. However she just doesn't get it. No amount of distracting, of telling her "No!", of positive reinforcement, of anything will get her to stop trying to open the door.

Guys my bird is a lesbian sex pest and a terrible roommate.

I'll calm down in a few minutes but right now I'm having vivid fantasies of booting her to the moon like a tiny green masturbating football.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sorry if any of this is obvious, but: Does she have a hut or anything to sleep in? Any fabric toys? What is she masturbating on, and can it be removed? Does she ever get anything warm to eat, like... oatmeal or whatever that can seem similar to vomit (so invoke feelings of being fed)? Do you ever pet her anywhere other than her head, neck, or feet? When was the last time you rearranged her cage?

Perhaps you could put a toy that can be chewed/shredded next to the door so she redirects on to that instead? Even if it's something simple like tying a paper towel in a knot there.

E: S'up

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2013

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

No huts. No fabric toys. No warm food. No petting other than on her head and neck.
I haven't switched stuff around in a while I suppose. There's not really many ways I can switch the setup other than move the couple toys.

She's wanking on a rope toy with a wooden block on it. She rubs her vent on the block and drapes the other half of the rope on her back. I can remove it, but I don't have very many other toys for her except some coloured vine rings that she's terrified of and two coloured plastic things she's played with maybe twice.

I've twisty tied the door and she seems to be ignoring the door for now.
Edit: No, now she's back at it. She's peeping in rage because it won't move like it used to. I'm taking a perverse joy in her frustration. (I'm really mad.)

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 27, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Can you make some toys? Grab a cardboard tube, shove a straw or coffee stirrers into it, attach a rolled up kitchen roll and stick it on the side, for example. Or use the rolled up kitchen roll as a rope and thread a cardboard tube through it, tie to the bars somewhere. Cut the corners off juice cartons. Just take that one rope toy out anyway if she's only using it to rub on?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

I used to twisty tie Sunny's cage but he loving learnt how to twist them open and got his head stuck when the door came down for about 2 minutes, so I freaked out and used clothespins to clamp the doors shut, and he seems to not have enough strength to open those, so that's good. I also have to padlock his cage shut, jesus loving christ I thought this was a thing that people did with cockatoos, not conures.

Maybe switch out that toy with something else for a few days, like some newspaper twisted into a cardboard tube or something then slowly reintroduce the toy? Not sure how to stop an avian serial masturbator.

Also my friend posted this picture of his conure that I think is relevant,

Conure.jpg :downs:

squeeze into everything, that is the conure way

EDIT: ^^^ Oh god conure peeky pictures, those are the best. Every time Sunny is on my mom's shoulder and my dad comes home, he'll lean alllll the way out to look at my dad and make an adorable whistling sound. :3:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 27, 2013

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
:3: Cirrus has learned to wolf-whistle perfectly. He did it back to me three times this morning and has incorporated it into his repertoire of burbling bird sounds. Amusingly he only seems to be able to do it perfectly right after I have done it perfectly, which means sometimes he makes a garbled "bird sound" attempt at mimicking my wheezing, and sometimes he will do a perfect whistle.

e: Also a question, is it common for budgies to learn to speak/imitate sounds once they have become fully mature? I got him as a mature adult so I'm impressed I was able to teach him anything, let alone so quickly.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 27, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Deadly Chlorine posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Oh god conure peeky pictures, those are the best. Every time Sunny is on my mom's shoulder and my dad comes home, he'll lean alllll the way out to look at my dad and make an adorable whistling sound. :3:

I taught him to play Peekaboo, but he seems to despise it more than enjoy it. WHERE DID YOU GO I HATE IT WHEN YOU DISAPPEAR FROM VIEW OH gently caress DON'T JUST REAPPEAR LIKE THAT. When he plays in the towels, every so often I'll go PEEKABOO to check where he is and he rushes to stick his head out to see me. If he's on top of the bathroom cabinet, he'll instantly run to the edge and stick his head over to see where I am. :3:

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

Lenswork posted:

Is he a lineolated parakeet? What a cutie! His eyes are very black, is he still young? He'll tame pretty quickly if he is.

He is! His previous owner thought he was about 5 years old, but she'd only gotten him 8 weeks ago, so lots of unknowns about him. We have a vet appt today so I'll see what he thinks. The linnie acts so differently than the budgies I'm used to.

And so the aforementioned budgies don't explode:

Beaker is the one spazzing over wet romaine. Honeydew is the little white guy.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Was just working on teaching Ohtori to Roll Over-he would do it, but only if he could grab a finger and use that to flip over, so this session was trying to get him to roll over all by himself. At first he kept trying to grab a finger, then my shirt sleeve, then anything he could in order to flip, so I was gently pushing him over-he didn't seem to like it much, but it was for a piece of cashew, so he was willing and didn't simply fly away. Finally it clicked for him and he started rolling over before I'd even asked him to or gotten the next piece of cashew ready-unfortunately for him his new found enthusiasm sent him rolling over the edge of the table. More than once. :downs:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

D'awww. They're going to get on better than Ohtori and Steve ever did :v:

How old is he, what's his personality like?

So far he's smart and curious, but mostly gentle and nice. He knows when it's his bed time and insists we let him sleep when he's tired. Unlike a certain green cheek who will stay awake talking nonsense to himself for hours no matter when he's put to bed. :argh:

As far as age, the vet said he was a "young adult," so whatever that means in sun conure parlance. This morning, though, he started his peeping "hey attention please!" thing, but I ignored it and when he stopped and was quiet a bit I uncovered him. He kind of woke up (pulled his head out of his happy hut) looked at me as groggily as a bird can, and yawned. BIRD YOU DONT GET TO ACT TIRED.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I used to twisty tie Sunny's cage but he loving learnt how to twist them open and got his head stuck when the door came down for about 2 minutes, so I freaked out and used clothespins to clamp the doors shut, and he seems to not have enough strength to open those, so that's good. I also have to padlock his cage shut, jesus loving christ I thought this was a thing that people did with cockatoos, not conures.

Maybe switch out that toy with something else for a few days, like some newspaper twisted into a cardboard tube or something then slowly reintroduce the toy? Not sure how to stop an avian serial masturbator.

Also my friend posted this picture of his conure that I think is relevant,

Conure.jpg :downs:

I absolutely love this picture.

In terms of cage locks, we use those carabiners you can get at the hardware store that screw shut. Our goddamn cockatoo is indeed quite the escape artist, but he has yet to figure these out. We had to install them after one late evening where we came home to an eviscerated lounge chair, a pool of stuffing strewn across the floor, and Teeka sitting in his cage with the front door just barely open. Yes, the bird was both smart enough to escape to assassinate the chair and then did a pretty convincing job of trying to cover up the fact that he could get out of the cage. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it happens again.

In terms of your conure, how long has she been exhibiting this behavior? It could be that her spring hormones are kicking in. I know that our boy can get a little hypersexual during the spring, but usually he calms down after a week or two.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I too adore that picture. :3: That's a black-capped, right, DC? He looks just like Ama except Amadeus' lower barring on his chest is more... smudged, for lack of a better word. More like a GCC's, not those clearly defined little scales.

Noodles, I think the best thing for you to do is just take that rope toy away: having it available to her is definitely a contributing factor. I think Battle Pigeon said in the old thread that taking away the hut Ohtori had been getting frisky with helped reduce that behavior with him. Try getting plastic toys with parts that jingle and rattle instead: Amadeus loving loves noisy toys, but I guess they're not sexy at all as he's never had masturbatory problems.

Plus if she can make a racket with her toys maybe she'll leave the cage doors alone. When mine wants to come out he freaks out on the loudest toy, but it's still a much more pleasant/ignorable sound than screaming or cage-door-slamming.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Eejit posted:

In terms of cage locks, we use those carabiners you can get at the hardware store that screw shut. Our goddamn cockatoo is indeed quite the escape artist, but he has yet to figure these out.

My brother's goffin's cockatoo knows how to undo the screw-lock chain links that attach his toys to the top of his cage. I wonder if the spring loaded carabiner would present more of a challenge or not.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I just spent a bunch on toys, then realized I had to spend even more so Mickey didn't feel left out. Oh burds.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

CrazyLittle posted:

My brother's goffin's cockatoo knows how to undo the screw-lock chain links that attach his toys to the top of his cage. I wonder if the spring loaded carabiner would present more of a challenge or not.

Ours aren't even spring loaded, they're more like what you're describing. The way the cage is, it's impossible to rotate the screw lock part inside the bars. Not that I doubt the bird will eventually figure out how to undo them somehow. The creature has years to plot, much like a diabolical supervillain, so it's only a matter of time.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

uglynoodles posted:

and drapes the other half of the rope on her back.

Is it rude that I think this is hilarious? It's like a woman going to diddle herself but using one of those boyfriend pillows to, uh, 'complete the experience'.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Noodles, I think the best thing for you to do is just take that rope toy away: having it available to her is definitely a contributing factor. I think Battle Pigeon said in the old thread that taking away the hut Ohtori had been getting frisky with helped reduce that behavior with him.

Yeah, we took the hut out during the day and only put it back in when covering him up, and in a different spot each night. It did help, but lately he's been using it to jerk off after being covered up, and he still regurgitates a lot for Steve. This morning I took the cover off Ohtori's cage and there was birdy vomit all over a spot where his hut was (so he must have been rubbing against his hut facing the bars, and vomited all over them or something) so we decided to try taking the hut away entirely. He was covered up almost four hours ago and he's still moving around, clicking and bitching and bashing his toys. I guess he needs to relearn how to sleep on a perch instead of inside something where he can lie down.

He's going to be reaaaaally bad tempered tomorrow.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I too adore that picture. :3: That's a black-capped, right, DC? He looks just like Ama except Amadeus' lower barring on his chest is more... smudged, for lack of a better word. More like a GCC's, not those clearly defined little scales.
Yup, a BCC! :3: I think Ama is a crossbreed between a GCC and a BCC though, since he has a BCC face but a GCC tail, and his neck feathers are like a mix between the both.

Also, now I know why my friend was so against putting in huts with her birds, especially when you first get them. Depending on the bird, it can either just make them slightly attached to the hut or puking and masturbating all over it. :gonk:

Also @Crayon: It isn't rude, bird masturbating techniques are always hilarious. :haw:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I really hope Finn doesn't ever start masturbating all over his hut or getting weirdly territorial. I'd feel like such a dick getting rid of it he LOVES that thing so much. He's so drat lazy :(

In other news. Does anyone have any ideas how to explain to someone that they're a lovely bird owner and breeding their already neglected birds because babies would 'be cute' is an awful idea? I want to choke this kid and take his birds from him :(

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Amaya posted:

I really hope Finn doesn't ever start masturbating all over his hut or getting weirdly territorial. I'd feel like such a dick getting rid of it he LOVES that thing so much. He's so drat lazy :(

In other news. Does anyone have any ideas how to explain to someone that they're a lovely bird owner and breeding their already neglected birds because babies would 'be cute' is an awful idea? I want to choke this kid and take his birds from him :(
In my experience male birds don't masturbate that much, Sunny rubs his vent on my hand sometimes but all it takes is a sharp NO and he'll stop, plus he hasn't been doing it these few months. IDK why female birds are so drat horny all the time. :downs:

Tell him about the horrors of egg binding, how handfeeding baby birds can cause crop burn that will burn a motherfucking hole right through their chest, or if the formula is too cold, lead to them not being able to digest it and being malnourished and dying, and how feeding them too much at a time or putting the syringe the wrong way can cause them to suffocate immediately and die.

God, handfeeding baby birds is scary, I had a person former employee of a bird park teach me how to handfeed birds properly, and even then I still don't dare to feed featherless baby birds, simply because unlike older birds, they don't back away when full and it's really easy to gently caress it up if you've no one helping you through the process. Explain to him how delicate birds are and how he might kill those adorable baby birds.

Also baby birds are ugly as sin to most people, so that too (I do find them adorable though.). :3:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Jinxie Monroe posted:

Beaker is the one spazzing over wet romaine. Honeydew is the little white guy.

Oh my god that photo makes me wish my old budgie was still around so I could give her lettuce and watch her be all happy like that :3: Bath-time 'round these parts is forced bath-time these days.

Today was bird food making day! For $14 I have organic grains and beans for 4 months soaking in a pot to cook later, with enough for another 4 months sitting dry for future use. I love making my own bird food, it's so cheap and looks so nice and has a huge variety of healthy stuff in the right ratios which I just don't see in packaged dry foods. Zippy likes it so much she tries to eat it before it's even cooked.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
I find the lack of Pionus parrots to be extremely disappointing! Here's a few pictures of my little Bronze Wing so we can remedy that situation:

Just two more months until she turns one!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CrazyLittle posted:

Frankie figured out how to do this after watching me rearrange toys in her cage for a while. Now there are no toys in her cage at all because five seconds after you hang it up she's got it on the floor and then poops on it.

I need to get her a new calcium perch. She's managed to eat her current one. But what colour / flavour? She's had the pink one and the purple one so I'm thinking we should go with the green one this time. She gets the dust from the perch all over herself so she's not just a cream-coloured goffin but has AWESOME PUNK COLOURS. Lime-green would go with her little orange cheek and nose feathers, yes?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mad Hamish posted:

Frankie figured out how to do this after watching me rearrange toys in her cage for a while. Now there are no toys in her cage at all because five seconds after you hang it up she's got it on the floor and then poops on it.

I need to get her a new calcium perch. She's managed to eat her current one. But what colour / flavour? She's had the pink one and the purple one so I'm thinking we should go with the green one this time. She gets the dust from the perch all over herself so she's not just a cream-coloured goffin but has AWESOME PUNK COLOURS. Lime-green would go with her little orange cheek and nose feathers, yes?

I think your bird would have an awesome time at Holi.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't know how long Ohtori ended up whining for, but he was still going at around 3:30am. When I woke up he was quiet, and stayed that way until being uncovered, I guess he exhausted himself. I wonder how long it will take for any effects from the lack of sleeping hut to kick in.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I find the lack of Pionus parrots to be extremely disappointing! Here's a few pictures of my little Bronze Wing so we can remedy that situation:

She's awesome. Cage in the background looks pretty cool too!

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Oh god, she looks exactly like a little falcon. :3:

I think my mom would like a Pionus too, she loves the little eye ring that conures and fischer lovebirds have. Time to start the convincing. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh god, she looks exactly like a little falcon. :3:

I think my mom would like a Pionus too, she loves the little eye ring that conures and fischer lovebirds have. Time to start the convincing. :haw:

One of the primary reasons I picked her breed is just because of how quiet and laid back they are. Granted, she does get excited and chirpy whenever I walk out of her line of sight, but that's really the only time she does. Aside from that, she'll only really start to speak whenever I speak to her or let her go futz around with her toys inside of her cage.

So long as you aren't looking for a super talkative bird like a Conure or a Macaw, I'd say that a Pionus is a great bird to have.

Oh, and you can teach them to do tricks!

Doctor_Blueninja fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 28, 2013