Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ditch posted:

You are a very deceptive person. It's a tag:

Mutoh & Frye vs Takayama & Kono

Who the hell is Kono?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BigRed0427 posted:

We were watching a 666 show on Synctube and I really wanna see more. Can anyone tell me where to look?

I really wanna know what happened to the SKB guy(the fireworks suicide jacket guy). If Great Kojika has to come out and tell you to settle the gently caress down, you're probably not long for the world.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/THE_CRAZY_SKB

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

Frye vs. Takayama in 2013 AJPW.

Those poor guys are going to have to do that spot again.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Just got front row tickets for this in London in June.

Liger's first match in the UK in 20 years apparently.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress, he was probably Sammy Lee back then.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Prince Devitt should become Jushin Liger II. Or Super Liger II.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Domalom posted:

Lucky bastards. I'm loving jealous.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

Lucky bastards. I'm loving jealous.

I just did the math. It would be ~$3000 to put my rear end into a seat for that show.

I think I'll get the DVD.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

quote:

All Japan Pro-Wrestling will be undergoing a change going forward from today as it has been announced that they will be undergoing a change of ownership. Nobuo Shiraishi [40] of Speed Partners has acquired 100% of the All Japan’s shares and will be owner and President of All Japan as of a corporate restructuring that will take place as of November 1, 2013.
Shiraishi also announced that Akira Misaka [42] (pictured bottom right) has been appointed as Vice-President under him.

Not much has been stated in state of the sale of the promotion, but
Shiraishi stated that the goal is for All Japan to reclaim a themselves as a premiere promotion in Japan. The new own wishes to see All Japan be able to host their own show at the Tokyo Dome within 3 years.
Shiraishi declared a revolution and looks forward to the growth and strengthening of All Japan Pro-Wrestling.

I don't have a single clue what Speed Partners Co., Ltd. do but it sounds so far like good news?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Anyone investing in puroresu is nuts. That said, AJ has stabilized, so it's not TOTALLY bonkers like it would have been.

KungFu Grip posted:

Who the hell is Kono?
Debuted in '03, then failed in shoots and came back. A rare Japanese true heavyweight who shows flashes of promise but probably won't light the world on fire when he peaks. He fits in this match because he's legit enough to be opposite Frye. Though Mutoh doesn't really fit that mold...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Didn't NJPW's current resurgence pretty much start with their sale to that CCG company?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thauros posted:

Didn't NJPW's current resurgence pretty much start with their sale to that CCG company?

Yeah, they poured money and support into the company so it could get its poo poo together. It helped though that the head of Bushiroad is a huge wrestling nerd, I don't know whether AJPW is going to have that bonus.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Domalom posted:

So nice of them to use publicity shots done in ludicrously different lighting, and then not touch them up when they wanted to use them together.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Wazzu posted:

So nice of them to use publicity shots done in ludicrously different lighting, and then not touch them up when they wanted to use them together.

Devitt is really that pale.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Domalom posted:

loving A.

Would you say it's even worth it to pay £50 for a front row seat when you can get third row for nearly half the price? Just debating it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

AJPW Purchased:

quote:

The Japanese corporation Speed Partners purchased 100% of the stock of All Japan Pro Wrestling, and will be forming two separate companies to handle both the wrestling and merchandising end.

Nobuo Shiraishi, the president of Speed Partners, made the announcement on Tuesday in Japan. It is expected to lead to major changes in the struggling company.

All Japan Pro Wrestling was formed in 1972 by Shohei "Giant" Baba, and had major popularity booms in the 80s on televison and in the 90s as a big show promotion until the death of Baba and eventually, almost every top star leaving to form Pro Wrestling NOAH.

Over the past decade, the company has struggled while being run for much of the period by Keiji Muto.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you're interested, here's their corporate web page: http://www.speedpartners.com/index.html It looks awful generic, and the stuff they're in business with is really...eclectic. But that's the name.

Here's a Japanese blog link on the purchase, apparently Shiraishi has come out guns blazing. Highlights include AJPW overtaking NJPW within a year, getting national TV broadcasting (terrestrial as opposed to satellite), holding their own Tokyo Dome show and a four-dome tour as well. The buyout is reported at only 200 million yen, which is juuuuust over $2 million :stare:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

grats you just bought a tape library. I don't see how they're going to overtake NJPW in a year when NJPW actually has something resembling a global strategy in place.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AJPW saying they're going to overtake NJPW just reeks of TNA when they started out and tried to take on WWE head to head.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

All we need is a Tokyo Dome show

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
All Japan doesn't seem like it has many new, exciting young stars. Of course they've got Mutoh and Kaz Hayashi and Akebono but what do they offer in terms of build a future? There are a dozen guys in New Japan that are both >35 and have very bright futures.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gotta figure they're going to make a grab for the NOAH freelancers but getting a bunch of old dudes and Go Shiozaki is a really TNA move.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

weekly font posted:

Gotta figure they're going to make a grab for the NOAH freelancers but getting a bunch of old dudes and Go Shiozaki is a really TNA move.
Would it be a benefit for AJPW and NOAH to merge together again? I've always thought there are so many NOAH guys that have next-level star written on them, but NOAH doesn't really have the means to succeed on their own anymore. I've heard it's because people don't see guys like KENTA as a "Heavyweight" although NOAH fans still love him and he's one of the most consistently great wrestlers in Japan.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

All Japan has some pretty good young talent actually, but they're no where near capable of doing a DOME show. They had probably the second best show of the year last year but it fell out of a lot of peoples minds because they just kind of... didn't do anything else exciting the rest of the year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

weekly font posted:

Mid 30's isn't really old. I don't really see anything wrong with bringing those guys in, especially now that they can afford them.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

MassRayPer posted:

Mid 30's isn't really old. I don't really see anything wrong with bringing those guys in, especially now that they can afford them.

Most wrestlers usually hit their strides around that age anyway. Really an anomaly in athletics.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

All Japan has some pretty good young talent actually, but they're no where near capable of doing a DOME show. They had probably the second best show of the year last year but it fell out of a lot of peoples minds because they just kind of... didn't do anything else exciting the rest of the year.

oh yeah, when I was reading the article and translation I thought "welp." Brash but probably just a lot of bluster.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know NOAH hasn't been able to draw and lost a bunch of top guys, but how bad is AJPW's current state? The only recent AJPW I've seen is that joint show they did with NJPW last year, but I didn't think they were that far behind their rival.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

I know NOAH hasn't been able to draw and lost a bunch of top guys, but how bad is AJPW's current state? The only recent AJPW I've seen is that joint show they did with NJPW last year, but I didn't think they were that far behind their rival.

Meltzer was reporting just a few weeks ago that they couldn't afford to bring in the NOAH refugees for every show, so it was pretty bad. It's not like Aoki commands top dollar. I also can't believe Aoki is 35, it seems like only yesterday he was in a trial series.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's because he was in his late 20s when he debuted.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
AJ, like NJ, was in a long slide. They stabilized while also cutting talent costs (like NJ). NOAH never stopped sliding.

Don't think a failure to sign 5 guys as a package on the drop of a hat is an indication of weakness though. Unless we're going by the Monday Night Wars standards where a wrestling promotion has a boatload of cash behind it ready to go at a moment's notice.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SMASH, Tajiri's defunct company now has an iPhone App.

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/smash-channel/id596337240

I have no idea what's on it yet. It's either just a YouTube app that just plays what they've uploaded to YT or it's all their shows.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A Cageside Seats anecdote claims that when Suwama got on the mic to ask where Shiozaki was, it was a shoot in the sense that he hadn't gotten the news that only part of the former NOAH guys were being booked regularly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The after-math of Kenny Omega vs Michael NAKAZAWA from the recent DDT show, for their Heavyweight Title.

:stare:

I never expected either man to ever be in a bloody match, but they both look like they've been through hell.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
While watching Tanaka vs Awesome from Heatwave 98, I decided to look up Tanaka on NJPW's profile page from his wiki article....

Jesus, Tanaka looks like hell. That feud really took it out of him, or he has a BAD painkiller problem.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

While watching Tanaka vs Awesome from Heatwave 98, I decided to look up Tanaka on NJPW's profile page from his wiki article....

Jesus, Tanaka looks like hell. That feud really took it out of him, or he has a BAD painkiller problem.
He looks the same to me, he's in better shape and has less hair. I'm sure all those chairshots didn't do him many favors but he looks pretty good for someone who was an FMW/ECW alumni.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Do you mean the weight loss? He got shoulder surgery in 2006 and dropped a ton of muscle when he returned. In the process he revived his career.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Flameingblack posted:

I never expected either man to ever be in a bloody match, but they both look like they've been through hell.
KO-D Openweight title matches are fun because even the guys who are known for comedy / weirdness usually try something different. There was a Dino / Honda main event from last year where the focus was on punches to the face and blood, with minimal Dino antics.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

KO-D Openweight title matches are fun because even the guys who are known for comedy / weirdness usually try something different. There was a Dino / Honda main event from last year where the focus was on punches to the face and blood, with minimal Dino antics.
Everyone takes the title serious. Masa Takanashi, the bottom of the card Zack Ryder-like wrestler has had some incredible matches competing for the KO-D Title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Who are the 4 guys on the front of this box?

I think I recognise Mutoh, Hashimoto, and Chono but I can't place the fourth guy

EDIT: Misawa?

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 4, 2013