Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I wouldn't really recommend it either, but since it seemed like strange criteria anyway I figured I'd throw it in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Mine's pre-NASA. I win.

Anybody got a bike that's pre-sputnik?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, me. I win.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Sagebrush posted:

My dad's got about 90% of an early-50s BSA Bantam 125 hanging up in his shed. It somehow manages to predate spaceflight but still have USD forks.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 16, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Seriously? I thought your BMW was an early '50s model. Or do you have something even older?

e: oh, right. It is, and sputnik was 1957, not 1947. Durr.

Anyone pre-atomic age, is more what I meant?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 16, 2013

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Grandad's restoring a 30s Indian Scout for a "retirement project". ;) Had to talk him out of putting tassels all over it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
1994 Honda Transalp 600v with 81000km ~50000 miles. edit: actually it's a 93, just first time registered in 94.

Bought it yesterday, my dad drove it home, about 40km in - 5-10 c/14-25 f(I love you dad), He says it seems in ok mechanical order, went through all the gear ranges and said it felt good.

Tires are old and will be replaced, front is 2003, back is 2006, thread is okay though.
Chain is okay, but rear sprocket is a little worn as will probably the front be too. will replace them both soonish.

Switch for low/high is not working, high is on all the time and needs to be replaced. Felt like a spring or so had snapped in there.

Front brakepads needs replacement, but previous owner knew about it and included those.

What the not so mechanically inclined PO didn't know was the last time the oil was changed, so that will be first order of business.
Luckily he just bought it in september 2012, so he only used it for 2 months or so.
He did toss in the Haynes manual for it, but it looks unopened, bought it as a project maybe?
He claimed he just wondered how the transalps was in use, but didn't really enjoy them, he was gonna shop for a cruiser this spring.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 16, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Crazy clean for a dual sport from 94. Exhaust is cool too. Enjoy!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

clutchpuck posted:

Kawasaki Vulcan VN500. It uses the Ninja 500 motor, and for a cruiser it is pretty dang nimble. It's a little over 400 lbs though.

Honda Magna V30/VF500C. It uses the baby VF, which is AWESOME fun to rev up and has more go than you'd think. This was my wife's first ride, she loved it until it started needing work. It's a little over 400 lbs though.

I wouldn't be super concerned about the weight being under 400 though. A 480lb cruiser isn't going to feel or handle a whole lot differently than a 380lb model, except for when standing still on a hill.

You're right about the Savage S40, they're everywhere, cheap, and easy to work with. It's a pretty good choice.

Actually the Vulcan VN500 sounds pretty boss. 400 was just a number I pulled out of thin air, but I am trying to avoid a heavy bike. I have a gravel drive way and sometimes park on less than ideal surfaces, I'd like something I can man handle a little and I don't have a ton of riding experience.

Honestly I just see myself buying a second bike at some point this year, it will likely depend on whats available and what kind of deal I can get. Just checking out options.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

hayden. posted:

Crazy clean for a dual sport from 94. Exhaust is cool too. Enjoy!

I had never seen that bike before and that exhaust is awesome.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's was abit more ragged when we looked more closely on it. It was missing a good 0,8 us quart of engine oil(2.95 total capacity), and the oil that was in there was pretty black. No glimmering stuff or metal shaving as we could see though. I'll run the old oil through a mesh filter or so when I do the proper oil and filter change sometime next week when temps get above freezing.

The spare brake pads was for the back brakes, not the front. I got some proper front pads and a set of chain and back+front sprockets in the mail. 90s transalps used 3 different kinds of front brake pads up over the different year models, sadly the 93 is one of the last years with single disc front brakes.

The back rim had some peeled off paint. I though it was dirt, but it was unpainted aluminium. The spokes are good and the rim seems solid though. I'll give them a good scrubbing with a wire brush to get the loose bits off then some metal sealer and a top coat with gold spray paint. Stock gold rims are pretty bling.

The back brake caliper was a little too loose for my liking, you could wiggle it about a little. Ordered some new rubber boots and will replace them when they get here.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What good mid-range nakeds are there? A friend is looking to replace her CB600 but there doesn't appear to be anything from honda that really compares and she isn't a fan of the Street Triple.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

theperminator posted:

What good mid-range nakeds are there? A friend is looking to replace her CB600 but there doesn't appear to be anything from honda that really compares and she isn't a fan of the Street Triple.

Ducati Monster? Kwakka Z800?

Edit: Oh also the Aprila Shiver and MV agusta brutale

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 22, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Cheers, I mentioned both the Brutale and the Monster but there's no Ducati or MV Dealerships anywhere nearby and "I don't like Ducatis" haha

Her problem with the Street is "I don't like the headlights on the new ones" but loves everything else about them.

There is however a Kawasaki dealer nearby, Might get her to check out a few of them

theperminator fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 22, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

theperminator posted:

Cheers, I mentioned both the Brutale and the Monster but there's no Ducati or MV Dealerships anywhere nearby and "I don't like Ducatis" haha

Her problem with the Street is "I don't like the headlights on the new ones" but loves everything else about them.

There is however a Kawasaki dealer nearby, Might get her to check out a few of them

Where are you located? Some used Streeties typically pop up about once or twice a month where I'm from (Pennsylvania) and they're always the older models.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

theperminator posted:

FZ8?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Where are you located? Some used Streeties typically pop up about once or twice a month where I'm from (Pennsylvania) and they're always the older models.

Nowhere near you :P

I'm in Sydney, so I have plenty of choice myself because I'm surrounded by every dealer under the sun. but she lives 2 hours north and has much less choice.

I've been looking at second hand bikes too, Ideally she'd love another CBF600. but there's only really one for sale second-hand and it's about 5 hours drive away.
The insurance company wrote off the bike because the steering stop was apparently damaged from being dropped at a stop.

And yeah, I might see if I can get her to at least test ride a Street and then go from there looking for 2nd hand if she likes it.

The FZ8N looks right up her alley too, cheers I'll pass it on.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 22, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

theperminator posted:

"I don't like Ducatis"
There's something wrong with her.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There's something wrong with her.

Tell me about it!

I was trying to convince her to get either the Monster or the Brutale purely so I could ride it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

theperminator posted:

Nowhere near you :P

I'm in Sydney, so I have plenty of choice myself because I'm surrounded by every dealer under the sun. but she lives 2 hours north and has much less choice.

I've been looking at second hand bikes too, Ideally she'd love another CBF600. but there's only really one for sale second-hand and it's about 5 hours drive away.
The insurance company wrote off the bike because the steering stop was apparently damaged from being dropped at a stop.

And yeah, I might see if I can get her to at least test ride a Street and then go from there looking for 2nd hand if she likes it.

Gsr600/gsr750?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

theperminator posted:

Tell me about it!

I was trying to convince her to get either the Monster or the Brutale purely so I could ride it.

With the normal "you broke it you bought it" rule in effect that could be a pretty big risk...

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

theperminator posted:

What's her $$ range? The BMW F800r is a slightly tamer version of the street triple. Great handling dynamics, decent enough looks and a nice streetable, if albeit a bit boring engine.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Obligatory check-in from a Versys owner. Naked enough and it's been great.

I do miss the 8k warp drive on my FZ6, though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

theperminator posted:

Tell me about it!

How about the CB900F/919/Hornet or whatever its Australian name might be. BMW F800, S1200R or R1150R, Buell XB9 or XB12. Then there's the Super Duke, more power than the other options though.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

ThatCguy posted:

What's her $$ range? The BMW F800r is a slightly tamer version of the street triple. Great handling dynamics, decent enough looks and a nice streetable, if albeit a bit boring engine.

Hmmm, define boring. I've seen this ( http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/3684514354.html ) BMW for sale and I'm in the market but I'm debating picking something up like this or a cheaper Korean S&T (Hyosung). I know Hyosung has a bad rap in the states, so I'm still waiting and looking around for something else.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

theperminator posted:

Since you added the "N" I decided to look up Aussie Yamahas since we only get an "N" version here. You guys are actually spoiled for choice in Yamaha Standards. We either get a half faired or a naked mainly but you guys have the choice for the FZ1 and FZ8, as wells as a naked 600, 900 (ish, looks like an ADV), and naked XJR!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/sport/all compared to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/content/115/yamaha_sport_street_motorcycle_home.aspx where "Sport" bikes don't even exist now, a FZ8 is "Supersport" to them lol.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ThatCguy posted:

$15,000 AUD, given that our bike prices are so ridiculous that's really pretty average for a new bike.
And yeah, besides my 675 I've got an F700GS, and I can see what you mean about the engine.

High Protein posted:

How about the CB900F/919/Hornet or whatever its Australian name might be. BMW F800, S1200R or R1150R, Buell XB9 or XB12. Then there's the Super Duke, more power than the other options though.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered anything from 900 up, and I've never seen a Buell here so it hadn't crossed my mind, will check them out too.

I had thought the F800 previously but knowing her she'll say she doesn't like the asymmetrical headlights or somthing.

nsaP posted:

Since you added the "N" I decided to look up Aussie Yamahas since we only get an "N" version here. You guys are actually spoiled for choice in Yamaha Standards. We either get a half faired or a naked mainly but you guys have the choice for the FZ1 and FZ8, as wells as a naked 600, 900 (ish, looks like an ADV), and naked XJR!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/sport/all compared to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/content/115/yamaha_sport_street_motorcycle_home.aspx where "Sport" bikes don't even exist now, a FZ8 is "Supersport" to them lol.

Yeah and considering NA would be a significantly larger market it doesn't make much sense to me, usually we get screwed.
When I wanted an SV650S I was pissed off that they only sold the half-faired model out here. plus yeah everything costs about twice as much over here too.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

nullscan posted:

Hmmm, define boring. I've seen this ( http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/3684514354.html ) BMW for sale and I'm in the market but I'm debating picking something up like this or a cheaper Korean S&T (Hyosung). I know Hyosung has a bad rap in the states, so I'm still waiting and looking around for something else.

Nothing wrong with the engine, I've got an F800s with the same lump. It's an inline twin rotax that makes about ~85 hp and redlines around 8500 RPM. Plenty of low end torque, and does just fine lugging around 2500-3k RPM. It does the job, but it certainly isn't a powerplant with tons of character. Exhaust note is nothing exciting, and it really doesn't have the "feel" of the BMW boxers or other inline motors. Given some of the "sport" bikes like the F800S and F800R it's put it, it's agricultural nature seems a little out of place. Works great in the GS bikes.

Parts are fairly cheap, it's easy to work on, no real weakpoints. Early motors (06-07) had some piston slap problems, but those were rectified by the time the F800r came around in 2009. I've seen plenty with over 100k miles on them.

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 23, 2013

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Continuing the BMW chat, I'm in the market for something I can ride from California up to Anchorage in about a month to start my summer job up there.

What's this '97 R1100gs for $5500 (http://humboldt.craigslist.org/mcy/3689866479.html) seem like to any of you? These bikes are expensive as balls.

I'm currently in Colorado but will be headed back to Northern California at the beginning of April. Bay Area is also do-able for buying a bike, this one is just real close to home.

I've been looking into a KLR and honestly that's more my style since it seems more tinker-able than beemers, but finding one that already has most of the touring mods since I'm in a time crunch is becoming a problem.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Looking at streetfighter 848's and I came across one with this in the description:
"Never ridden in the rain and always garaged."

Riding one in the rain is a bad thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I believe it was Ola who pointed out that Italian vehicles react to water "about as well as a potassium cat."

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I believe it was Ola who pointed out that Italian vehicles react to water "about as well as a potassium cat."

The man is a wordsmith.

But yeah, I've seen ads on craigslist where they advertise the bike as "never seen the rain". Sometimes it's an old ninja 250 :what:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It always makes me laugh when you see a bike advertised in the UK as "never seen rain". Might as well claim "never ridden".

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm thinking about getting a Bike and this http://morgantown.craigslist.org/mcy/3624089553.html looks to be the best deal in my area. Anything I should look for when I go check it out? It'll be my first bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you have to get a Harley-Davidson? You can get a metric (Japanese) cruiser for a lot less money, and that way also not have to pay Harley prices for parts if you drop it and break something off.

But if you're into cruisers that is a reasonable size and type to start out on, though, yes.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah, it's a decent starter bike. Make sure you don't get rid of those tassles, you might need 'em to whip away some road goblins.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Bike and this http://morgantown.craigslist.org/mcy/3624089553.html looks to be the best deal in my area. Anything I should look for when I go check it out? It'll be my first bike.

It's a 2004 so it'll have a rubber mounted engine, which is nice. Other than the usual things (making sure it shifts well, etc.) check if the revs don't stick when you release the throttle, as that points to leaking intake seals. Check the rocker boxes (made up of multiple layers) for leaks, easy enough to spot. On a Sportster those are super-easy to replace though. According to the ad it's been lowered, and these bikes don't have much ground clearance to begin with, but for a first bike that's probably not an issue.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Haven't had a bike in about 10 years. Not really sure what I'm looking for, and I've been casually browsing the local CL lately. This has been up for a couple weeks now and has caught my eye:

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/3700076833.html

I've been having trouble finding out much about the ins and outs of this bike, thoughts? Hell, while we're at it, anything on the local CL that's catching anyone's eye? I have about $4k to throw at this, and the only thing I really know is that I don't want a fully faired street bike (CBR, GSXR...), pretty much anything else goes.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3687021950.html

quote:

2001 1200 Suzuki Bandit. Under 6000 miles. Near showroom condition. Needs nothing but a rider. Stock except Suzuki Engine guards, tank protector, and Suzuki Streetfighter windscreen. Recent carb sync and plugs. Replaced stock fuel valve with Pingel Hi-flow model. Runs, drives and looks perfect. Includes matching tank bag. No low ballers or test pilots. Leave your phone # or I will not respond. Reasonable offers considered.

Is this a decent deal for a low mileage Bandit? I've emailed back and forth with the seller and he say's he has babied the bike and done all the maintenance himself. On the one hand that could be good because he was probably up to date on maintenance, but that also means there isn't any physical service history.

I've been looking at VTRs too, I've got a line on a '98 supposedly is in showroom condition but was used on trips going coast to coast so has 50~k miles on the engine. I haven't heard back from the guy selling it but he is looking for about $2k for the bike. Is that worth considering over the Bandit? The high mileage has me somewhat concerned, but I honestly don't know how many miles those engines will last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

glyph posted:

Haven't had a bike in about 10 years. Not really sure what I'm looking for, and I've been casually browsing the local CL lately. This has been up for a couple weeks now and has caught my eye:

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/3700076833.html

I've been having trouble finding out much about the ins and outs of this bike, thoughts? Hell, while we're at it, anything on the local CL that's catching anyone's eye? I have about $4k to throw at this, and the only thing I really know is that I don't want a fully faired street bike (CBR, GSXR...), pretty much anything else goes.

KLRs have a couple of small issues that need addressing - they like to throw balancer chain tensioners and a few other things (see: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#knownissues). They're basically bombproof though. Ergos are high and wide, at the bars, high and narrow at the saddle - enduro / dirt-bikey. They're not awesome at superlegal speeds (buzzy and breathless) but they're pretty light and maneuverable. They're on my must-own-once list.