Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

CPL593H posted:

Up to a certain point movie posters were shipped folded and not rolled like they are today. So a lot of old posters have creases in them from being folded. They basically trying to make the posters look "vintage".

Thanks for mentioning that, I forgot to say that the "folded" texture makes some amount of sense. It's just the crumpled one that bothers me, since why would you crumple something up that you're not tossing into the trash or using as fuel for a fire? It basically says "my poster is trash, ignore it."

Wait, that's actually a good summary of those posters. I take it back, all minimalist posters need to look like crumpled trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To the designers of these posters, this twofold emotional/mental detachment is 'cool'. Not only do I not care, I am pretending to be an alien who cares even less.

I'm stealing this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Up to a certain point movie posters were shipped folded and not rolled like they are today. So a lot of old posters have creases in them from being folded. They basically trying to make the posters look "vintage".

Yeah, I was noticing that with a lot of those Black Sunday posters I went through to post a few days ago.

Honestly, the only time that actually worked had to be that Dude Designs poster for Hobo With A Shotgun.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I just happened across these today on Amazon: apparently, Universal is releasing about 13 movies on Blu-Ray with "Limited Edition" Comic Book Covers.

And they look. Like. rear end.

And so on. They just applied weird filters to the original poster image, tilted it about 30 degrees, put comic book panels over it and just plastered comic book font everywhere. What purpose is this meant to serve? Why is Terminator 2 and The Mummy a comic book?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hewlett posted:

I just happened across these today on Amazon: apparently, Universal is releasing about 13 movies on Blu-Ray with "Limited Edition" Comic Book Covers.

These came out about two years ago in the UK and all of the spergs at blu-ray.com (etc) went loving nuts over how nice they look. You are literally the first person I've seen say that they don't like them, which immediately makes me like you, because they do look loving awful.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I rather like the hulk one but the others are quite bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Optimist with doubt posted:

Now if only it was on a movie anybody actually wanted to watch.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Augh they have a Big Lebowski one:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hewlett posted:

Augh they have a Big Lebowski one

Well, you're going to love this.

Say hello to my little friend;

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hewlett posted:

And so on. They just applied weird filters to the original poster image, tilted it about 30 degrees, put comic book panels over it and just plastered comic book font everywhere. What purpose is this meant to serve? Why is Terminator 2 and The Mummy a comic book?

Ah, that famed comic book font which is never, to my knowledge, actually used in comics.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
JB Hifi here in Australia sells those on shelves. There's quite a few movies that have recieved the treatment, they also do similar slip-covers with minimalist covers; for Buried and The Road, etc. etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hewlett posted:

I just happened across these today on Amazon: apparently, Universal is releasing about 13 movies on Blu-Ray with Why is Terminator 2 and The Mummy a comic book?

Marketing literally cannot discern between "A" and "Looks like A." Oddly enough "comic book" is usually just shorthand for "superhero" so at least their definition of superhero is broad, I guess.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't know why these lovely rear end posters make me so angry.

I just hate the lack of imagination. So many of them give the impression that they believe minimalism precludes imagination and craftsmanship. At least with Olly Moss (who's done some turds, to be sure) you can tell that he's worked on his craft and is actually familiar with the tradition he's working within when he riffs on Saul Bass or whatever else. He has a sensibility that's been refined over time, he's not just a guy who's bored at work and made a three red dots poster for Predator.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Just so you know, preclude means "forbid" or "prevent". I think those people think minimalism does the opposite of preclusion.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

A good bunch of them just remind me of what that one artist from Mondo shits out of his art hole.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Wubbles posted:

Just so you know, preclude means "forbid" or "prevent". I think those people think minimalism does the opposite of preclusion.

I was just commenting on the result.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, I see. I didn't know Olly Moss did minimalist stuff.

Incidentally, if you'd like to listen to Olly Moss talk to his friends about a number of topics including his art (but primarily videogames), listen to this podcast.

Wubbles fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 15, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Eh, I kinda like the T2 comic book cover. Same with Pitch Black :shobon:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Optimist with doubt posted:

Same thing, it the only one that "fits" being both a comic book movie and the weird use of comic panels in the movie. Shame about the movie being awful through. Anyway, do these have any new features are just repackages of the most recent blu-ray of each movie?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

Why does this one have a quote on it? What's the point of doing a special edition of a movie if you think it still needs a quote on the cover?

Because the cover as-is perfectly represents the film? Out of all of those, that's the one you choose to complain about? It's the only decent one among them, because the cover is essentially a commentary on the editing style of the film.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

feedmyleg posted:

Because the cover as-is perfectly represents the film? Out of all of those, that's the one you choose to complain about? It's the only decent one among them, because the cover is essentially a commentary on the editing style of the film.

You might want to read that post again, he's not commenting on the fundamental design but asking why you'd put a quote on a special edition cover of the film. It's pretty strange, I don't think I've seen it before.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Part of me thinks the people responsible for it understand that the kind of person who would buy a 'comic book' version of a comic book movie might need some extra convincing, at least in the case of Ang Lee's Hulk.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Cleretic posted:

So things that are not movie posters, but are meant to look like them, are cool to post here, right?

Because Steam just showed me this masterpiece of human achievement.

These guys may not have latched onto the actual definition of 80's sci-fi, but I don't want anyone to tell them that.

If Nicolas Winding Refn where to do a movie version, this would be the perfect poster for it.

4-page old reply: There's a reason you think this - the guy who did this poster and much of the art from the game is James White, who is responsible for the original Drive 'neon' poster:

Serak fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 15, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No wonder, they're both equally poorly done.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

feedmyleg posted:

No wonder, they're both equally poorly done.

In Blood Dragon's case, intentionally, though. The whole game is basically trying to be a bad 80s action movie. One of the key design points they had was "terrible script". Yes, literally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ha, that would imply all games don't have terrible scripts...

My Borat poster, which I had on my door for about 6 years, finally fell off and ripped :(

I really liked that poster.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

amusinginquiry posted:

Maybe production took several years and they had to do extensive reshoots.

And the stress from being re-shot turned the cat's eyes from blue to green.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'll use any excuse I can to post the gif I made the last time A Talking Cat came up for discussion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wubbles posted:

Oh, I see. I didn't know Olly Moss did minimalist stuff.

Olly Moss does a lovely minimalist fake poster for a movie every month in one of the UK film magazines, with an explanation of what he's doing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

In Blood Dragon's case, intentionally, though. The whole game is basically trying to be a bad 80s action movie. One of the key design points they had was "terrible script". Yes, literally.

No, I meant the actual posters themselves. The game looks amazing, that poster is amateur hour. You can tell what they were going for, but instead of looking like an 80s-style, authentically poorly painted poster it looks like someone hired a 17 year old from Deviant Art who tried their best.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 16, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ha, that would imply all games don't have terrible scripts...

An interactive medium is a bitch to write for, especially since most modern games have an architecture that's only 15-20 years old at best and is consistently refined and redefined every few years as technology evolves. It's why when you look at a "best of" games list for writing you'll find most, if not all, are game-types that are a "generation behind" the current trends (like Psychonauts) or straight-up content munchers like Half-Life 2 or Bioshock (where gameplay chunks break-up a strictly linear narrative, with bits of narrative sprinkled into the gameplay via scripted audio sequences and the like).

feedmyleg posted:

No, I meant the actual posters themselves. The game looks amazing, that poster is amateur hour. You can tell what they were going for, but instead of looking like an 80s-style, authentically poorly painted poster it looks like someone hired a 17 year old from Deviant Art who tried their best.

It's the use of neon and black with all the G.I. Joe figures and the bad 80s VHS linework. It's too many 80s styles overlapping one another in a way they rarely did in the actual decade. Less would have been more here.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 16, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

mind the walrus posted:

An interactive medium is a bitch to write for, especially since most modern games have an architecture that's only 15-20 years old at best and is consistently refined and redefined every few years as technology evolves.

Games being a bitch to write for is old hat, but some games go above and beyond the call of duty to create a bad narrative. Unintentionally, I mean. Blood Dragon is the only one I know of that does it intentionally.

mind the walrus posted:

It's the use of neon and black with all the G.I. Joe figures and the bad 80s VHS linework. It's too many 80s styles overlapping one another in a way they rarely did in the actual decade. Less would have been more here.

To be fair, that sums up the game itself pretty well.

Ah, so you agree.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I remember when this was going to be Spielberg and Will Smith

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I dig that poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

20 years? Take that Korean version!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Remakes of non English films don't normally annoy me quite this much. I can't explain why, but good luck winning me over on this one Spike.

... Poster isn't bad though

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Early test screenings have been pretty favorable, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Red_Museum posted:

I remember when this was going to be Spielberg and Will Smith

Can't wait to watch him shoot emotionally-wretched scenes by showing us the back of the actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THh1pPWEoWs