Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
Those look awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god Ozzy :swoon:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

These are both great but I LOVE this one. It's amazing holy crap. Battle Pigeon I want some arts too!!

On another note;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGeH4cFNyh8

AHHHHHH!!!! :swoon:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Here's Wesley, my male black capped conure, playing with Dixie cups. Please ignore my filthy floor, I do actually vacuum every day but birds are assholes and throw things on the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7k8cAYvRmE

Wes is 13 this spring. :psyduck: I got him when he was one!

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Wizard of Smart posted:

These are both great but I LOVE this one. It's amazing holy crap. Battle Pigeon I want some arts too!!

On another note;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGeH4cFNyh8

AHHHHHH!!!! :swoon:
Oh god little caique sounds aaaaa too adorable. :3:

Also, Battle Pigeon, those are amazing! Especially love the black and white one.

^^^Oh my, conures are amazing, at 13 he still acts like a little baby. Goddamn conures are awesome. :3:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
How come my conure doesnt do awesome conure things. :( He is such a disappointment. He doesnt interact with things like that video, ..doesnt interact with things at all really (chews and plays some toys in the cage) but when I have him out, he either just sits there or walks around sometimes.

On the topic of conures, how do you get them to shut up? I hate to be THAT person who has a PARROT and is complaining about noise of all things... but he is a GCC whos known for being quiet right? I can personally live with it but the people I am around are getting pretty fed up with it...and I feel super super bad about it. Its not loud decibel wise- its just very consistent annoying sounds for hours. I knew the birds would be raucous during wake-up times and evening times but Ive slowly realized that the noise I hear goes on pretty much all day in spurts.

My SO recently moved here a few months ago and when he sleeps with me (bird cage is right outside) hes pretty outraged at the noise and HATES them. And..its reasonable, hes trying to sleep. Theyre in the living room, where the family spends time so I imagine its pretty annoying to watch TV or whatever and have annoying birdnoises going on.

I have never paid him attention when hes being like this. Completely ignore the cage. So I dont think Im reinforcing that kind of behavior... Ive tried talking/making specific noises from my room, hes not making his flock call noise but Ive read that if you respond in a lower voice, they'll do it too. Nope. Whenever hes absolutely quiet is when hes out with me and I dont want the bird with me 24/7. I can let all the birds out and let them do their thing and he'll still yell unless I am in close promixity to him. At least its not full out conure screaming, but the SO would probably punch me if I said that.

Theres toys in there- that I rotate and get new ones constantly, he has a variety of food, gets time outside of the cage... not sure if its just one of those normal conure quirks or if I did something wrong here

edit: my male cockatiel likes to make annoying noises too so now they are doing a battle of ANNOY EVERYBODY

Malalol fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 14, 2013

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Malalol posted:

Conure noise
Conures are supposedly more quiet but I gotta be honest, my GCCs Baby and Cheeky are pretty noisy for extended periods of time. I think it must be some natural instinct to call out, and continue to call even if you respond to let them know where you are in the house or are doing nothing more than sitting in the same room. My husband and I block most of it out, because there is sometimes not much else we can do to stop them if they are in that mood. You could always try distracting him with a treat so his mouth is too full to talk--that works well for us. I occasionally use a short harsh "no" when their yelling goes on too long for no reason (they aren't hungry, don't want to be held, we aren't out of the room) and it is effective for my particular birds. We had to learn which tactics worked best in different situations. Try different tactics if your current one isn't working, but be warned that the noise may just be something everyone has to get used to.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Malalol posted:

How come my conure doesnt do awesome conure things. :( He is such a disappointment. He doesnt interact with things like that video, ..doesnt interact with things at all really (chews and plays some toys in the cage) but when I have him out, he either just sits there or walks around sometimes.

On the topic of conures, how do you get them to shut up? I hate to be THAT person who has a PARROT and is complaining about noise of all things... but he is a GCC whos known for being quiet right? I can personally live with it but the people I am around are getting pretty fed up with it...and I feel super super bad about it. Its not loud decibel wise- its just very consistent annoying sounds for hours. I knew the birds would be raucous during wake-up times and evening times but Ive slowly realized that the noise I hear goes on pretty much all day in spurts.

My SO recently moved here a few months ago and when he sleeps with me (bird cage is right outside) hes pretty outraged at the noise and HATES them. And..its reasonable, hes trying to sleep. Theyre in the living room, where the family spends time so I imagine its pretty annoying to watch TV or whatever and have annoying birdnoises going on.

I have never paid him attention when hes being like this. Completely ignore the cage. So I dont think Im reinforcing that kind of behavior... Ive tried talking/making specific noises from my room, hes not making his flock call noise but Ive read that if you respond in a lower voice, they'll do it too. Nope. Whenever hes absolutely quiet is when hes out with me and I dont want the bird with me 24/7. I can let all the birds out and let them do their thing and he'll still yell unless I am in close promixity to him. At least its not full out conure screaming, but the SO would probably punch me if I said that.

Theres toys in there- that I rotate and get new ones constantly, he has a variety of food, gets time outside of the cage... not sure if its just one of those normal conure quirks or if I did something wrong here

edit: my male cockatiel likes to make annoying noises too so now they are doing a battle of ANNOY EVERYBODY

Some birds like their voices and will play with it. I've seen lories at the zoo stick their heads inside pipes and scream their heads off, apparently in order to hear their voices echo back to them, like honking your horn just as you drive into a tunnel. My guy likes to talk too, although the cockatiels are louder and make more noise. Have you tried covering his cage when your SO is sleeping with you? That at least will limit your GCC to vocalizing when he's a wake. Parrots are vocal and there are times when mine annoy me (especially the cockatiels, those guys almost never shut up). You could try moving his cage though, in case he is seeing something that is setting him off--my guys love talking to the wild birds outside and there was a period of time last year when a Stellar's Jay decided to be friends (or maybe enemies) and out stand outside the window and call back, and my cockatiels were like 'YAY CRESTED BIRD' and screamed back incessantly until I moved their cage out of its line of sight.

Wes goes nuts over Dixie cups because he was handfed with them, but he's not as nearly as enthusiastic about his other toys. If your guy is food-motivated you could focus more on foraging enrichment rather than just toys. Even something as simple as mixing seeds and shredded paper inside a paper lunch bag might provide your guy with more enrichment than a toy. Bonus, this is also rather cheap. Some birds are naturally super playful, other birds need a purpose to explore and manipulate objects. Other birds need 'jobs', such as trick training, in order to stay mentally active. You might need to experiment to find out what motivates your guy.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thanks people for the comments on my arts, I'm pretty happy with how the drawing turned out. I work for bird/art supplies, monies, and random acts of kindness ;)

Steve had a hilarious moment this morning-he flew over to the window sill, but apparently misjudged by a centimeter or so without realising.... so got to see him faceplant into the edge of the window sill and fall to the floor, utterly baffled at what had just happened. Imagine him standing like he would as if he were on a flat surface, but midair, and simply falling straight down instead. :derptiel:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks people for the comments on my arts, I'm pretty happy with how the drawing turned out. I work for bird/art supplies, monies, and random acts of kindness ;)

Steve had a hilarious moment this morning-he flew over to the window sill, but apparently misjudged by a centimeter or so without realising.... so got to see him faceplant into the edge of the window sill and fall to the floor, utterly baffled at what had just happened. Imagine him standing like he would as if he were on a flat surface, but midair, and simply falling straight down instead. :derptiel:

Oh so derpy :allears:

Also, do you not have private messages? because I'll totally get you private messages.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

In big derp mode, a few days ago, Teeka my cockatoo chewed through one of his dowel perches while standing on it. He landed in full attack mode and took about five minutes to calm down, all the while only under assault by his own stupidity. Sometimes he does smart things and then he does things like this.

(And the dowels are only in there as an easy way for him to get from one side of the cage to the other, he doesn't spend a lot of time standing on them and spends much more time destroying them.)

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Hah Battle Pigeon, Sunny throws tantrums like that too. He doesn't really roll completely over like 'Tori though, he HAS to have one leg grabbing onto something. Also he makes those little angry trumpet conure noises and they're hilarious. :3:

Chiming in with derp, Cheeky always hangs out on the windowgrills next to his cage (don't worry, the windows are shut tight), and today I saw him hanging upside down and making those shrill cockatiel sounds before he just let go or something and slowly fell to the windowsill. :downs:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Its not just derpatiels that do it. Squirt was in his cage, and tried to jump up onto the next perch, only missed and face planted on the bottom, very quickly got up, looked around and started preening himself as if to say "no, you didnt see anything, I was doing this all along"

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Two more local ads today, one for a little African Grey (3.5 months old, tame, they've had it for a few days, need to get rid of it because someone is allergic...), and a tame male cockatiel called Sparrow. I saw the same advert for the cockatiel maybe a month ago, it was talking all about the bird's interests and likes and habits and how he has to go to a good home and not just anyone can have him. Seems either no one was good enough, or no one wanted him. :(

Wizard of Smart posted:

Oh so derpy :allears:

Also, do you not have private messages? because I'll totally get you private messages.

I don't! You can feel very free to, or I can give you an email if you'd prefer, either work for me!

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Hah Battle Pigeon, Sunny throws tantrums like that too. He doesn't really roll completely over like 'Tori though, he HAS to have one leg grabbing onto something. Also he makes those little angry trumpet conure noises and they're hilarious. :3:

That's adorable. I don't know what the trumpet noises are-it seems Ohtori sounds different to other conures-but when I was first teaching him to lie on his back, he was the same way, had to hold on to something. Eventually it was okay for that thing to be a foot toy, then he didn't need to anymore. When I taught him to roll over on command, he acted the same way-at first he had to grab my hand or finger before rolling over, and now he doesn't need anything.

Eejit posted:

In big derp mode, a few days ago, Teeka my cockatoo chewed through one of his dowel perches while standing on it. He landed in full attack mode and took about five minutes to calm down, all the while only under assault by his own stupidity. Sometimes he does smart things and then he does things like this.

(And the dowels are only in there as an easy way for him to get from one side of the cage to the other, he doesn't spend a lot of time standing on them and spends much more time destroying them.)

And this is hilarious. What does attack mode for a cockatoo look like, just all fluffed up, crest up, hissing and stomping around?

Speaking of attack mode, today it was Steve who was attacking Ohtori. Not long after being uncovered, they were on the same shelf in the bathroom, and Steve ran over hissing and hitting him with his beak. He even bit his wing hard enough to make Ohtori yell at him (probably more surprise than anything, he's fine). 'Tori hadn't so much as acknowledged him at that point. Birds are assholes

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 15, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Battle Pigeon posted:

And this is hilarious. What does attack mode for a cockatoo look like, just all fluffed up, crest up, hissing and stomping around?

Oh yes, feathers at max puff (which is actually rather impressive with an umbrella), wings all wide, and being very menacing with hissing at everything that moves. Also he adds in a good sway whenever he decides to hiss at something new, very much a COME AT ME BRO maneuver. Birdd gotz #swagger.

Must try and get this on video now. I need to take (and post) more bird pictures anyways.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Two more local ads today, one for a little African Grey (3.5 months old, tame, they've had it for a few days, need to get rid of it because someone is allergic...)

Wanna give dat bird a home :3:

I had a blue crown conure (beautiful bird, not terribly tame but we were making great progress. He had just started letting me scratch his head after about 9 months) who had a bad fall. He was sitting on my shoulder when something startled him, i think a speaker fell over, and he took off to his cage. He missed the landing and fell into the cage and broke something. He passed away from his injuries later that day. I was so upset, he was hand raised as a baby but became less tame after being owned by somebody who didn't give him the attention he needed. He was a biter when I got him but I realized he had been inadvertantly trained to bite as an attention seeking action as he was very interactive with me when he couldn't see my hands. I spent months getting my hands bloodied and bitten trying to train him to not bite. It was the most adorable thing when we had a breakthrough probably 2 or 3 weeks into ownership when I put my nose through the cage bars (he hadn't shown any aggression or biting tendencies toward non-hand body parts) and he came over and rubbed his beak on it and made happy little conure sounds. Ugh, typing this out made me sad. I really miss him.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Both birds on the stand, eating Cheerios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEOzQOWpU6A

Ohtori is just posturing, not actually being aggressive-we've definitely learnt the difference by now. Right in the last second you can see cheerio/pellet shrapnel flying through the air.

Eejit posted:

Oh yes, feathers at max puff (which is actually rather impressive with an umbrella), wings all wide, and being very menacing with hissing at everything that moves. Also he adds in a good sway whenever he decides to hiss at something new, very much a COME AT ME BRO maneuver. Birdd gotz #swagger.

Must try and get this on video now. I need to take (and post) more bird pictures anyways.

Yes, yes you should. When he's mad like that is it okay for you or a favoured human to approach, or does everyone have to stay out of the way of his rage?

Agent355 posted:

Wanna give dat bird a home :3:

Me too, I'm daydreaming about offering to foster it until they find a buyer.

Sorry to hear about your Blue crown. :( I'm paranoid of Ohtori doing something like that one day, sometimes it seems he doesn't really fly so much as just hurl himself through the air in roughly the direction he wants to go.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Opera Bitch posted:

Conures are supposedly more quiet

HAHAHA what? I have literally never heard this. I was originally going to get a conure but I was told they are the loudest of the small parrots!

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

alucinor posted:

HAHAHA what? I have literally never heard this. I was originally going to get a conure but I was told they are the loudest of the small parrots!

Depends on the conure. Green Cheeks are normally the quietest birds with Sun Conures up there on the "gently caress it's loud"

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Zomodok posted:

Depends on the conure. Green Cheeks are normally the quietest birds with Sun Conures up there on the "gently caress it's loud"
Yeah, basically all Pyrrhura conures are quite quiet although holy poo poo are their shrieks still kind of irritating sometimes. Prepare to go deaf if you get an Aratinga conure, though most of them are a lot more brightly coloured.

@Battle Pigeon: Everytime I see Ohtori and Steve I just want to smoosh them together and cuddle them hard ahhhh they're both so adorable. :3:

@Agent355: I know how that feels, I still kind of feel sad when I think about Cassian. Same story, he was a bitey fiend and I got to working with him until he could fly to me, lie in my hand and all that, and one day he died from contaminated food. It was very unexpected, I thought he would live for much longer. Also had a friend's parrotlet who went the same way, he flew and smacked into a doorframe at the wrong angle and died within minutes. I wish birds weren't so fragile, because they are the best animals. :smith:

To lighten things up a little:

Sunny under a small handkerchief. :3:

For some reason ever since he boarded for one week at a friend's place, he has turned from an aggressive monster towards other birds to a softie who will try preening everything including lovebirds. This however leads to times where he'll try to preen Cheeky but Cheeky will shriek at him and run away while he just looks kind of depressed. :saddowns:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yes, yes you should. When he's mad like that is it okay for you or a favoured human to approach, or does everyone have to stay out of the way of his rage?

Haha no, that would not be wise. Battle Cockatoo must resolve quell his inner Hulk before it is safe to put anything fleshy near him. Though mostly the posture is defensive. Attacking is a much more sneaky, subtle approach.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cockatiel shrieks are worse for me, but going by the GCC we met at the vet once, Ohtori's yells are duller and a bit louder, rather than the high pitched skull-piercing shriek of GCCs.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

@Battle Pigeon: Everytime I see Ohtori and Steve I just want to smoosh them together and cuddle them hard ahhhh they're both so adorable. :3:

For some reason ever since he boarded for one week at a friend's place, he has turned from an aggressive monster towards other birds to a softie who will try preening everything including lovebirds. This however leads to times where he'll try to preen Cheeky but Cheeky will shriek at him and run away while he just looks kind of depressed. :saddowns:

Was he boarded with Cheeky, or by himself? Were there other birds there? Ohtori and Mr Steve Pending were no different towards each other after their time being boarded over the Christmas period at the vet. I still have a bit of hope that as 'Tori settles into adulthood, he'll chill out a bit more (though he certainly has already, in the sense of mostly ignoring him rather than attempting to murder him). It would be nice for them to preen each other one day, then 'Tori can get covered in cockatiel dust instead.

Eejit posted:

Haha no, that would not be wise. Battle Cockatoo must resolve quell his inner Hulk before it is safe to put anything fleshy near him. Though mostly the posture is defensive. Attacking is a much more sneaky, subtle approach.

Yeah, you should try and get video of this sometime. It's funny enough when Ohtori fluffs up and drags his body around, a cockatoo must look hilarious.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

It's always quite a sight when my friend's Moluccan cockatoo gets riled up and angry. He turns into a turkey bird and when all his feathers puff up he looks about 2-3 times his normal size. He is ridiculous and adorable. :3: But goddamn he is skull-splitting loud.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Battle Pigeon posted:

Was he boarded with Cheeky, or by himself? Were there other birds there? Ohtori and Mr Steve Pending were no different towards each other after their time being boarded over the Christmas period at the vet. I still have a bit of hope that as 'Tori settles into adulthood, he'll chill out a bit more (though he certainly has already, in the sense of mostly ignoring him rather than attempting to murder him). It would be nice for them to preen each other one day, then 'Tori can get covered in cockatiel dust instead.

His cage was right next to Cheeky's when he was boarded, but I was joking with my mom that because there were cockatoos and macaws in other cages nearby, he had a "Oh poo poo, I'm really tiny" moment and decided to be nice to all other birds for now. He just did something really cute, I was scratching Cheeky's head so his eyes were shut and he was enjoying it, then Sunny came over to preen his crest and his eyes were still closed, until he opened them slightly and freaked the gently caress out because OH GOD CONURE!!!!

Cockatiels. :derptiel:

I guess birds will usually warm to each other eventually after a few years of living with each other, once they are pretty much very certain that the other bird isn't gonna kill them/steal all their food. :downs:

Sunny also does this thing when he's angry/feels like he's hot poo poo, he'll fluff up with flat feathers on his head, an extra fluffy neck and he'll sort of do this strutting motion with his tail fanned. It's hilarious and I'll try to get a video of him one day. :3:

^^^Oh my god Moluccans are adorable, when they fluff up they're like giant balls of pink white fluff, and they're really, really cuddly even by cockatoo standards. :3: They'll also sort of try to scold you when they're angry with furious cockatoo sim-talk, with crest raised, it's adorable. :3:

I have heard their screams though, and I applaud people who have been living with their moluccans for 20 years or so. It's heartbreaking to see rows of cages of 1 year old+ Moluccans at pet shops, since they're really quiet when they're babies, and once they hit around 1+ years of age they start displaying and screaming, and a lot of people can't deal with it. :smith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Deadly Chlorine posted:

To lighten things up a little:

Sunny under a small handkerchief. :3:

[...] This however leads to times where he'll try to preen Cheeky but Cheeky will shriek at him and run away while he just looks kind of depressed. :saddowns:

That picture is adorable. :3:

Haha, Ama still tries to preen Rosy and she's having none of it! The only time he gets any grooming action in is when she's stuffed herself under my hand and he side-shuffles down my arm to help me pet her. She loves it until she realizes it's him and not me, shrieks in cockatiel indignation and races away while he sits there looking forlorn. (edit: hahaha you too I guess! ^^^)

In other news, Amadeus seems to have officially shifted his name for me from [cute but unintelligible wark] to Baby. Whenever I'm out of his sight or not paying attention to him when I obviously should be he starts saying "Bay-bee? Bay-bee!" until I reply to him. This morning I came out of the bedroom, said "Ama!" and gave him a kiss and he said "Bay-bee!" and kissed me back. :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Huh, while I was rambling about my daydream of offering to foster that Grey, my partner said that we could actually go ahead and text them about it if I wanted. The chance of the people agreeing is pretty small (how would you feel if someone said "hey since you're so allergic we can take the bird off your hands until you find a new home for it, if you deliver it") but I'm actually tempted. There's building work going on now so temporary noise, if it yells, would probably be okay-especially if we put up a notice about it-so the main problem would be any potential illnesses... we'd never let the birds out together, and I could move everyone into the main room during the day so there's just enough room...

It's a bad idea, isn't it? I'd probably struggle with handing it over to people who don't seem like decent would-be owners.

Oh, and another advert was just posted, for a tame little cockatiel that "loves being petted and people, reason for sale is lack of time and it likes the company of other birds". I think it's a female from the photos, but can't quite see.

Birds :saddowns:

Edit:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Sunny also does this thing when he's angry/feels like he's hot poo poo, he'll fluff up with flat feathers on his head, an extra fluffy neck and he'll sort of do this strutting motion with his tail fanned. It's hilarious and I'll try to get a video of him one day. :3:

Ohtori does this every morning on top of Steve's cage, I'll try and film it tomorrow. He puffs up, droops his wings right down, fans his tail out, and stands up as tall as possible with his eyes pinned. He then struts awkwardly about, making it look like he's dragging his body around. Steve seems to think this is him flirting. :derptiel:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 15, 2013

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Battle Pigeon posted:

Huh, while I was rambling about my daydream of offering to foster that Grey, my partner said that we could actually go ahead and text them about it if I wanted. The chance of the people agreeing is pretty small (how would you feel if someone said "hey since you're so allergic we can take the bird off your hands until you find a new home for it, if you deliver it") but I'm actually tempted. There's building work going on now so temporary noise, if it yells, would probably be okay-especially if we put up a notice about it-so the main problem would be any potential illnesses... we'd never let the birds out together, and I could move everyone into the main room during the day so there's just enough room...

It's a bad idea, isn't it? I'd probably struggle with handing it over to people who don't seem like decent would-be owners.

Oh, and another advert was just posted, for a tame little cockatiel that "loves being petted and people, reason for sale is lack of time and it likes the company of other birds". I think it's a female from the photos, but can't quite see.

Birds :saddowns:
Fostering is fun, and greys don't really scream that loudly that often, just make really annoying noises. :downs: PBFD might be a worry, but since the problem is with an allergy, I assume that means he's still really powdery and fully feathered. Fostering is for certain people though, I have friends that enjoy the act of taking care of animals but are pretty okay with giving them up, personally I think I would keep all my fostered birds and become a true bird crazy.

Also you should totes get that cockatiel so Steve can act even more derpy. :derptiel:

Oh my god I think I should get a video of Sunny's angry dance as well, it's just so ridiculous and why I think he's most probably male, because I can't think of a girl bird doing that. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That picture is adorable. :3:

Haha, Ama still tries to preen Rosy and she's having none of it! The only time he gets any grooming action in is when she's stuffed herself under my hand and he side-shuffles down my arm to help me pet her. She loves it until she realizes it's him and not me, shrieks in cockatiel indignation and races away while he sits there looking forlorn. (edit: hahaha you too I guess! ^^^)

In other news, Amadeus seems to have officially shifted his name for me from [cute but unintelligible wark] to Baby. Whenever I'm out of his sight or not paying attention to him when I obviously should be he starts saying "Bay-bee? Bay-bee!" until I reply to him. This morning I came out of the bedroom, said "Ama!" and gave him a kiss and he said "Bay-bee!" and kissed me back. :kimchi:
Oh my god, glad to know Cheeky isn't just especially derpy. The look of cockatiel horror on their faces is the most hilarious thing. Also oh my goood conurelish talking is the best thing ever, I should try teaching Sunny some words too. :kimchi:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 15, 2013

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
When we let the cockatiels out of the cage, they flutter into the walls. I say flutter because their wings are clipped and they're not actually flying. They're just sort of gliding and they can't seem to control precisely where they're going. But banging into walls can't be good for them! Horace bumped into one pretty hard last night and got really scared afterwards. How do we make it stop? Why didn't they learn the first few times that walls are painful? It's like they're kamikaze birds!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Congratulations, you have a pair of cockatiels. :derptiel:

How long have they been clipped? Do you know if they were let out before? If they're young and have always been clipped/were clipped too young, they may have never learnt to fly properly.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AvianPundit posted:

When we let the cockatiels out of the cage, they flutter into the walls. I say flutter because their wings are clipped and they're not actually flying. They're just sort of gliding and they can't seem to control precisely where they're going. But banging into walls can't be good for them! Horace bumped into one pretty hard last night and got really scared afterwards. How do we make it stop? Why didn't they learn the first few times that walls are painful? It's like they're kamikaze birds!

Shoot -- either you posted this earlier or I'm having serious deja vu. I meant to answer but I was at work when I read it and trying to reply to threads while on my iPod is horrible. I'm sorry.

They're young birds, correct, and their wings were clipped when you got them? They're probably still learning how to fly. Controlling their angles, their speed, their height is a lot of scary work for somebody that doesn't have a lot of experience! Rosy used to bonk into walls all the time when I got her (she was a baby, too, a year old at most). My budgie, Montuerthos (Monty :downs: I was a pretentious teen) would constantly hit walls and flutter sadly down while his wing feathers grew back in. Picture it as a toddler, first learning to walk -- but the birds have to contend with the Z axis, too, and accelerating much faster than they'd expected.

If it puts your mind at ease, when I moved to NYC my bedroom had floor-to-ceiling windows. I let Amadeus out of his carrier, he panicked, and tore headfirst into the window. He hit the ground before I could react, didn't respond to me and had smashed into the window so hard he was missing a patch of feathers on his forehead. I have never been that terrified in my life.

Two years later he's currently attacking my cosmetics mirror on my desk. :3: Your tiels will be fine.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Leeloo does this too. It's the cutest cause then I get to put her in her place. (Belly smootches)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Novolo does this but never ever does it if my phone is out, so I still haven't caught a good video of it.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Is it normal for tiels to claim an area as their own and go into battle mode any time you get near them if they are in that spot?

When my tiel is on the play stand on top of his cage he does not tolerate any interaction. If you try to get him to step up onto your hand so you can put him to sleep he will either run from you or bite. You can push him off the cage and once he is on the ground he comes right up to you but while on top of the cage he will draw blood.

The messed up part is he will stand on the edge and lower his head like he wants to be scratched on the neck. If you try to give him the scratch he turns his head and lunges to try and bite your finger. He loves scratches and its almost like he forgot where he was standing and realizes it as when you get close to scratch him then he freaks out.

The only other time he behaves like this is when you let him stand on your shoulder. I no longer permit this since he gets really agitated if you try to pet him or move him off your shoulder.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Male tiels can sometimes get a bit territorial. Could be a hormone thing. I've noticed that Archer has been like that the past month or so.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Is there any way you can move or rearrange the stand to see if his behavior persists?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Okay! Got a video of Cody the green cheek being noisy. Its like this pretty drat often...I think more so when theres "bg" noise... people talking, doing stuff, TV on... but through out the day, same noise, just less frequent (a few seconds in between each squawking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opqlz6uCg2k

Its so annoying :(
And...video is of fish while I sit in my room because he'll stop making noise if I go out there to look at him. Do yallses greencheeks sound like that too?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
That's my GCC alarm noise at the start.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

I don't! You can feel very free to, or I can give you an email if you'd prefer, either work for me!

Sure I'll do it! I apparently need your email address for your account, though. You can email me at my forums name (as one long word) at gmail.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Well..Its been 2 hours since I've gotten home and hes still at it. But now theres absolutely nothing around, no tv, no people, all quiet. Just him.

Tidyseed review update... I dont have it sitting flush with the top of the cage, theres a few inches of room where the birds can get on it and stand. So they like to stand on it and take poops and get it smeared all over the plastic. And feets. Ugh. It seems to keep a good amount of pellets from getting wasted though! Not so much the bigger chunks, I see see them getting thrown out on the bottom of the cage but... improvement. Still seeing pellets like a foot away from the cage so, I have no idea. birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I got this awesome perch that has a food cup (half a coconut) in the end of it so her main food gets put there, so only treat bits and a few main food supple bits get on the floor. Which are then tracked all over the apartment by feet, so I don't know why I bother anymore.