Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
On one hand, I'm jealous that you guys get to do so much, but it's kinda offset by the fact that I'm now pretty grateful that we get a summer off where I can take time and focus on taking care of myself before fourth year hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Just read some papers that show that HR and RR do not correlate with dog size/breed. Why have I always thought this? 8(

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Really? Do you have a link? In my experience there is some correlation, especially for slower HR in large breed dogs and greyhounds.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2010.00954.x/abstract

and

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1760273410000305

This one talks about RR in dogs: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2011.12.014

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Thanks! That's pretty interesting. I can't get the full text of the second one online but I got the other two. The findings seem to be counter to what we were taught at college and by vets in practice. It would have a lot of implications for anaesthesia particularly, I imagine.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
In general, I think of bigger dogs having slower heart rates than small dogs, but I certainly do see lots of nervous big dogs with higher heart rates and really calm chihuahuas with slower heart rates, so I could see how it would be hard to show a strong correlation. For anesthetic monitoring purposes I try to take into consideration their heart rate during the pre-op exam as a measure of "normal" for the patient, as opposed to their size.

Cats are just all over the place.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If only you guys could see Chaco yelling about baby opossums... It's glorious...

Awful!.dll
May 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jjcjckv

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Personally I feel like HR and RR (especially RR) are such dynamic parameters that like Chaco said, I tend to kind of use an individual patient's own values over time as a baseline rather than the breed or size of the dog.

Of course if a Mini Schnauzer that looks stressed out has a HR of like, 60, it may raise a bit of a flag to maybe hook up an EKG before making any decisions on anesthetizing the dog (I had one of these as a neuro patient that ended up having sick sinus syndrome that was luckily atropine responsive...nothing like finding this out when the dog is already anesthetized...), but in general on the borderlines on either side if I don't have other reason to suspect it's pathologic I'm just going to make a mental note to recheck it again before the dog leaves/is anesthetized/is given meds/etc.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

If only you guys could see Chaco yelling about baby opossums... It's glorious...

Freaking retarded opossum should have been feeding herself a week ago, but no, she had to be tube-fed and coddled 3 times a day just to keep from wasting away. I think you can agree that the fact that she weaned herself overnight is cause for celebration.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Our last final ever was today! It was on exotics medicine and was framed in the background of a zombie apocalypse. On top of that, this is our first beautiful weekend of the year. It is 14˚C (57˚F). Absolutely gorgeous. The sun is shining, a lot of the snow has melted, and I am gonna take a nap and then get ready to go party with friends. Can't think of a better ending to our didactic education. I'm so excited! I can't even really comprehend the idea of not having lectures anymore.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a question like this, so sorry if it's the wrong thread.

I have two cats that I love very much, one a longer black haired one who is quite docile, another shorter haired grey one who is loving nuts. They tussle and play fight a lot.

I've recently noticed a small (about the size of a very small pea) skin colored "waxy" (smooth, shiny) very hard lump on my cat's skin, which I'll admit is disturbing me a little.

It feels like a keratinized mole or huge pimple or something, but it just popped up over a several week period. My fiance said she saw it leaking pus, but I haven't seen this. It does protrude a little at one end though, like a distended bubble, so I'd believe it. I've lightly squeezed it, and I can't tell if it's painful to the cat, sometimes he'll react, sometimes he'll just sit there and purr. Nothing happens when I do this, but I'm not squeezing very hard.

I just wondered if anyone knew what this might be, or if I should be more concerned or take him to a vet.

Sorry for the poor image, it's hard to get a closeup of a struggling cat with a smartphone.

http://i.imgur.com/frtV4VS.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Congrats you found your cat's nipple try not to play with it too much.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

El Gar posted:

Congrats you found your cat's nipple try not to play with it too much.

it's on his shoulder goddamnit :mad:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
If you have to ask, you should probably take him to the vet

(Take him to the vet)

Also we have a cat megathread which you can ask there.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I still find it ridiculous and a little unbelievable that I cut animals open, or remove body parts, and this fixes them. It's like magic.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I've started shadowing a vet and it's really interesting work, but I feel like a lot of what gets said goes over my head. I was wondering if anyone had any informative podcast recommendations for the aspiring dog-restrainer.

And while I'm throwing off the poster-to-doctorate curve here, if any of you have worked with a shadow I'd like to know: what can I do to really stand out and get the most out of this?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Revener posted:

I've started shadowing a vet and it's really interesting work, but I feel like a lot of what gets said goes over my head. I was wondering if anyone had any informative podcast recommendations for the aspiring dog-restrainer.

And while I'm throwing off the poster-to-doctorate curve here, if any of you have worked with a shadow I'd like to know: what can I do to really stand out and get the most out of this?

What are your hoping to get out of the shadowing experience? Defining that for yourself will help you get more out of it, and if you have a chance to discuss your goals with the vet they may be able to tailor your experience a bit. For example: Do you want to learn what it is this type of vet does day-to-day? Watch surgeries? Look at x-rays? See what technicians do? Learn specific skills (like restraining dogs for various procedures)? Observe the vet interacting with clients? Discuss exam findings, labwork, and diagnoses? Impress someone enough to write you a letter of recommendation or give you a job? Any of these are fine goals for a shadowing gig, but would all be achieved differently and may happen to different degrees if the vet knows that's what you want to see/do/learn.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

^^ Awesome answer.

If you want to focus on restraint, then Dr. Sophia Yin's book "Low Stress Handling blah blah blah" with DVD is awesome (but expensive!) and will make you a handling master. It will also help you avoid getting your face ripped off.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Not getting your face ripped off is an excellent goal.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone have that book that they'd potentially be interested in selling to me? I can't afford it new at all. I'd even take an old edition of it. I have a PDF of it but its hard to read.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have that book that they'd potentially be interested in selling to me? I can't afford it new at all. I'd even take an old edition of it. I have a PDF of it but its hard to read.
You may already know this, but you can buy online access to the book and all the videos for $25 for 30 days.

http://drsophiayin.com/lsh/online/

If I had known about that book when I was a tech, I would have pushed for my boss to buy it for the benefit of all the staff. :colbert:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Crooked Booty posted:

You may already know this, but you can buy online access to the book and all the videos for $25 for 30 days.

http://drsophiayin.com/lsh/online/

If I had known about that book when I was a tech, I would have pushed for my boss to buy it for the benefit of all the staff. :colbert:

Interesting! I'm pretty sure they wont buy it where I work but I will look into your link.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I wouldn't let Dr. Yin handle my cat tho.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dr. Chaco posted:

Not getting your face ripped off is an excellent goal.

That would decrease the likelihood that you would be able to truly connect with your clients. They might not feel felt by you then.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

That would decrease the likelihood that you would be able to truly connect with your clients. They might not feel felt by you then.

Well, feeling felt is of the utmost importance!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Dr. Chaco posted:

Well, feeling felt is of the utmost importance!

Does the client feel felt? Do I want to shoot myself in the face for that class? Yes, yes.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Enelrahc posted:

Does the client feel felt? Do I want to shoot myself in the face for that class? Yes, yes.

I do not miss that class, not even a little.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
is your life going according to your personal business plans guys? was your SWOT analysis accurate? how about your SMART goals?

fmlx100000000

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Dr. Chaco posted:

I still find it ridiculous and a little unbelievable that I cut animals open, or remove body parts, and this fixes them. It's like magic.

Grade 2 soft tissue sarcoma, completely excised, patient walking better than pre-op despite being short two toes. Freaking magic.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Hi vet thread! If anyone has tips on how to make my puppy not chew/lick his bandaged front paw they'd be very much appreciated. I've already switched him to a longer cone than the one we got from the vet's, but he's able to push it against the ground/his leg and reach the paw anyway. The cone is already a bit too big for him otherwise. I also tried sticking a cloud collar behind the cone but that didn't help at all.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Rixatrix posted:

Hi vet thread! If anyone has tips on how to make my puppy not chew/lick his bandaged front paw they'd be very much appreciated. I've already switched him to a longer cone than the one we got from the vet's, but he's able to push it against the ground/his leg and reach the paw anyway. The cone is already a bit too big for him otherwise. I also tried sticking a cloud collar behind the cone but that didn't help at all.
I feel your pain. My dog decided a few weeks ago to obsessively lick his leg where he'd had an IV catheter. He gave himself a big gross wound overnight, and then got really good at removing bandages. :argh:

Have you tried something like bitter apple spray? That's assuming the outside of the bandage is somewhat water resistant. If you're not supposed to get the bandage wet, your vet may have bitter-flavored vet wrap that they can put over the outside. You could also spray it on some cloth tape, let it dry, and then strategically apply the tape. That stuff worked to keep my dog from chewing for a couple hours at least. Frequent reapplication of bitter apple + more exercise + frozen kongs was the cure for my dog's bandage-chewing.

Beyond that, a basket muzzle is my only idea. I imagine the soft rubbery kind is more comfortable than the wire kind, but you'll probably need one with a solid front plate so that he can't just squish the basket to get to his foot. Apparently the solid front is called a "stool guard" or "poop guard", disgustingly enough. If he's going to be a butt about e-collars and bandages his whole life, a basket muzzle and some time spent counter-conditioning is probably a wise investment.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Crooked Booty posted:

Beyond that, a basket muzzle is my only idea. I imagine the soft rubbery kind is more comfortable than the wire kind, but you'll probably need one with a solid front plate so that he can't just squish the basket to get to his foot. Apparently the solid front is called a "stool guard" or "poop guard", disgustingly enough. If he's going to be a butt about e-collars and bandages his whole life, a basket muzzle and some time spent counter-conditioning is probably a wise investment.
Thanks, I hadn't really thought of that. I guess a good muzzle should mean he wouldn't need the cone anymore. This would make everyone else really happy, because the little idiot has learned he can use the cone to bump into everyone and make extra room for himself and generally be more annoying than usual. Exercise is out, because he's specifically forbidden from doing pretty much anything we usually spend our days doing. Frozen kongs are already on the program and bitter apple hasn't been very helpful.

I'm going to go buy him a muzzle. It'll make handling him when he's hurt easier and safer, too. My two other dogs are ok with pretty much anything, but the little guy fights like a maniac when I try to change the bandage.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I don't know if a particularly chew prone dog would even care about this, but I have seen people place an e-collar around the leg/paw they're trying to keep from being chewed in addition to the regular e-collar.

So, tiny tiny e-collar on leg, normal e-collar on head.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
My wife graduates in a week!

She received an offer from a large and super busy hospital where she'll be working insane hours. She had worked with them in summer/winter months so had a pretty good understanding of expectations, policies, etc. She accepted the offer (all this verbally) and is set to begin two weeks after graduation. Big downside is that she'd have a terrible commute each day (1-2 hours each way depending on traffic.)

A small wellness clinic not even a mile from where we live posted a job announcement so she dropped off her resume, met with the doctors/owners, and had a job offer that evening after they spoke to her references. Walking distance, slower pace, 40 hours a week.

Now to tackle whatever comes next.

Congrats to all of you. Seeing it from my perspective, I'll just say better you all than me.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Just noticed one of my veterinarian friends has received a grant for PhD research into cardiomyopathy in sighthounds.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Paging Khelmar: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22977112?dopt=Abstract

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Yesterday, I typed a book of history (really just clinical presentation, progression and treatment of the lesion, what I removed and what I saw during surgery) for the eye I submitted for histopath. My tech was looking over my shoulder incredulously the whole time, but in the back of my head, there were path residents complaining about the drat path submission form with a 1 line history on it, and "don't be that vet!" and finger-pointing at all of the nodding students.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
My friend got a history that read "Skin biopsy" the other day. You know we can tell it's skin by looking, right? How about from where and why, the stuff the scope doesn't mention?

I read that paper when it came out. I'd like to see a comparison between private practice and university submissions. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Khelmar posted:

My friend got a history that read "Skin biopsy" the other day. You know we can tell it's skin by looking, right?
I've repeatedly gotten samples for cytology with absolutely NO history on them. Nothing at all, so you're left with a couple ml of cloudy liquid with some cells in it. Fun times.

Anyone here have any experience with mitral valve insufficiency in puppies? Sukka the BC was diagnosed yesterday with a mild mitral insufficiency. He's 9 months old. He has no symptoms and just had an incidental finding of a 1/6 systolic heart murmur when he was put under to have his busted nail done. I got him to be a performance animal, so I wanted a cardiac ultrasound done and here we are. The veterinary cardiologist was completely unhelpful explaining it to me and I was too upset to ask questions about it. Now that I'm calmer I have a ton of questions but no veterinary cardiologist to give me answers.

I only have experience with people with mitral valve insufficiency and they're always older and it's nearly always due to myxomatous degeneration of the valve. What causes this in a puppy? Is there a congenital defect of some kind? He didn't have a murmur when he went for a vet check at 7 weeks, nor when he went for stiches at 9 weeks. Is it inherited? Will it progress? Even though it doesn't hurt him in his day to day life, does it affect his maximum aerobic capacity (performance animal and all that)? Is it genetic? Will it affect his life span? Will intense exercise throughout his life affect the way the disease progresses?

I hope this isn't against the rules. I took my puppy to the vet and had him looked at even though it wasn't completely necessary yet and I'm just looking for some clarification on what exactly I'm dealing with here. I don't even need my answers spelled out for me, if you guys can point me to some resources or scientific articles, that would be brilliant.

• Locked thread