Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really wonder about the shows foreshadowing, they are laying the LF-as-supervillian angle reaaaaal hard. Not to mention Melisandre looked into Arya's soul and then (might as well have) turned to the camera and said "Oh yeah, she's definitely gonna kill all those people she's chanting". This and Dany's drug trip at the International House of Undying seemed to be making a lot of very direct implications the book at least buries under a pile of poo poo so you have to read into it.

*people have character arcs*

"These arcs are giving away their character arcs!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This fukkin show spoiled itself what the gently caress hbo

*jacks off to cathouse or sometimes certain eps of Girls, but only from season one because gently caress....season two. what a drat travesty ugh*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

People get so freaked out about spoilers, it's getting worse and worse every month, man.

You mean there's a PARK full of DINOSAURS?! gently caress, SPOILERS, MAN!

Whoa whoa, what do you mean the Hulk is in the Avengers? SPOILERS!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wanted to watch this Citizen Kane movie but you find out he gets a really big house and dies right off the bat and it's like guhhhhhhh why even spend the time.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

People get so freaked out about spoilers, it's getting worse and worse every month, man.

People in general are getting worse and worse every month.

Just gas them all, before it gets out of hand.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You know who else thought about gassing everyone because of how much they suck? :godwinning:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

You know who else thought about gassing everyone because of how much they suck? :godwinning:

I'm pretty sure he meant gas the threads.

I don't think Joramun is a known Orson Scott Card fan.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

But who will stop the Mad Poster Joramun before he can "gas them all"?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Gotta Gas 'Em All!

Nazémon!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oh yeah and Sam whipped out his dragonglass in the most forced way possible in that last ep. He literally says "Hey look what I found at the Fist, isn't it cool?"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh yeah and Sam whipped out his dragonglass in the most forced way possible in that last ep. He literally says "Hey look what I found at the Fist, isn't it cool?"
Personally, I thought it fit perfectly with how goony and awkward Sam is. I do wish they had actually showed him use it this episode instead of one of the Jon scenes (though he's been a lot more tolerable in the past couple episodes than I found him in previous seasons or the books).

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My friend called that "Chekov's Dragonglass."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sorry for asking this here but I can't think of anywhere else: Was I just super stoned or was there a Chekov's Gun type thing in the first Expendables movie that they never actually used? I recall Terry Crews showing off a Nuclear Grenade or something in a "show off your weapons" scene and then I never saw him use it. I hated the movie but if this little tid-bit gets shot down I won't ever have to think or talk about it again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I can't even remember the plot for the Expendables. It was a terrible movie.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hated that scene because Sam was all "I don't really know what it is but is it's pretty!" :downs:

Sam might be cowardly, awkward, and goony, but one of his redeeming features is that he's fairly smart and well-read. He knows what dragonglass is. I feel like the show has been glossing over the fact that he's smart since the first season and I don't know why, unless the writers just hate Sam. It's going to seem kind of weird later when Jon sends him off to learn to be a Maester. Show folks are going to wonder why they sent the bumbling idiot. At least in the books he might be a bumbler, but he's good at learning stuff from books.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Rarity posted:

*people have character arcs*

Ah yes, the notable 'say everything in an exaggerated accent whilst twirling moustache, have a terrible comic book villain monologue at the end of an episode' sort of arc. Artistry, my friends.

The thing Arya's arc is missing is all her name changes. It's a metaphor for losing herself, you see. *cut to someone literally being lost*

That Tollenna scene was baller, though my gf did beat her to the punch, since old Tywin Corleone was acting super closeted.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mnemosyne posted:

I hated that scene because Sam was all "I don't really know what it is but is it's pretty!" :downs:

Sam might be cowardly, awkward, and goony, but one of his redeeming features is that he's fairly smart and well-read. He knows what dragonglass is. I feel like the show has been glossing over the fact that he's smart since the first season and I don't know why, unless the writers just hate Sam. It's going to seem kind of weird later when Jon sends him off to learn to be a Maester. Show folks are going to wonder why they sent the bumbling idiot. At least in the books he might be a bumbler, but he's good at learning stuff from books.

It's almost like they're writing him as early Sam Gamgee instead of Sam the wight-killing bad-rear end gonna get my fat pink mast up and sail to Hogwarts Sam. His uh, arc, should be interesting.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

That's a lot more radfem than just "all men die", man. Is Arya training to burn bras and demand the execution of all cock-havers?

It's never translated as "All men die" in the books, it's always "All men must die" and Valar Dohaeris is always translated as "All men must serve".

:colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

For some reason they decided that Vargo Hoat was not a memorable character or name, so they changed him into a dude named Locke who dresses just like every other Northman. Great actor, though. And the Jaime/Brienne scenes have otherwise been almost entirely preserved.

The non-book readers I know didn't understand the abandonment of Harrenhall at all. Instead of showing Arya develop into an apprentice killing machine, they have Mel tell her directly that she's gonna kill people someday.

They were actually going to keep the name of Vargo Hoat for the character of Locke but GURM asked them to change the name since they'd cut the bloody mummers and that sub plot a bit.

I wonder if GURM regrets allowing HBO to film these books now that they've been changing poo poo around and now that his fat self has to actually start writing since the show is gonna catch him.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Vigilance posted:

I wonder if GURM regrets allowing HBO to film these books now that they've been changing poo poo around and now that his fat self has to actually start writing since the show is gonna catch him.

He gets to creep on Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke like five or ten times a year and I don't know that he cares about a whole lot other than that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If he wants to creep on Lena, he could at least pay the bitch. Woman's living off credit cards, man.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

He's purposely not paying her until the walk of penance or whatever in the ADWD season so she has to do it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

jeffersonlives posted:

He gets to creep on Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke like five or ten times a year and I don't know that he cares about a whole lot other than that.

he also gets to think about writing the books with all the actress's in mind and thinking of plots to get them all naked.

The imagined in Gurm's head version of The WOW is just a giant lesbian orgy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember he did vocally complain about the show changing the "one tit" gowns in Qarth, one of the dumbest "foreign for foreign's sake" moves he made until Mereen.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"Hey look what we forgot to include earlier"

Holy Calamity! posted:

Thoros and Mel met up and had a friendly chat and here you guys are talking about Ros.

I liked this scene ok. its interesting to highlight their differences, especially in light of the book where ..uh..Valarian ( whatever the sailor's name is ) has his own Fire priest, who seems to be working in a very different manner than the other two. I wonder if there is a larger arc, where there is all this new magic in world, and even though its being attributed to the "one true god", like the magic before it, its how you use it that makes it good or evil.

Assuming there is some larger theory about the magic, and not just grrm writing poo poo that isn't internally consistent.

I do like the theon scenes. And Tyrion is sort of interesting still. I'm surprised about Gendry - I always thought he would play a much larger role in the books ( secret Baratheon! ), but if they are gonna throw him to rot in some dungeon while Melissandre's vag drains him of his power - who knows.

That reminds me. There are only 2 books left to write, yeah? That is so cool the series is almost done!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

kcroy posted:

... so cool the series is almost done!

I'll take the low hanging fruit: Hasn't the series been almost done for several years?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I really believe there is no way it's going to be done in 2 books. Unless they're about 2000 pages each.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes. Yes. Let that disappointment and hate you feel flow through you. :getin:

One of us. One of us. Gooble gobble Gooble gobble.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Littlefinger to take a trip through the Moon Door so that all this heavy handed Littlefinger stuff in the show has no pay off.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I'm kind of in awe that Mellisandre pulled out a straight up Bad Thread classic with the Arya Goes Blind spoiler.

I wish I could find the Arya Goes Blind blingee gif from the old thread right now.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I'm pretty sure the show is ruining my memory of the books. The other day I had to look up who the ghost of high heart was.

Also, just remembered Arya brutally murdering a guard in the second book, but show Arya still hasn't gotten her hands bloody yet.

I'm gonna need to reread everything if/when the next book is out (never).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well she did kill the fat kid, but it was in self-defense. Yeah she hasn't gotten her hands really bloody yet. That's disappointing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

syscall girl posted:

It's almost like they're writing him as early Sam Gamgee instead of Sam the wight-killing bad-rear end gonna get my fat pink mast up and sail to Hogwarts Sam. His uh, arc, should be interesting.

The transition from "fat worthless Sam" to "smartest guy on the wall by far" is going to provoke tons of TVIV readers to call bullshit and whine about it.

Before he was sent to the wall, didn't Sam do nothing but read? I can't imagine anything else for an obese noble to do besides whore it up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

"Hey look what we forgot to include earlier"

I liked this scene ok. its interesting to highlight their differences, especially in light of the book where ..uh..Valarian ( whatever the sailor's name is ) has his own Fire priest, who seems to be working in a very different manner than the other two. I wonder if there is a larger arc, where there is all this new magic in world, and even though its being attributed to the "one true god", like the magic before it, its how you use it that makes it good or evil.

Assuming there is some larger theory about the magic, and not just grrm writing poo poo that isn't internally consistent.

I do like the theon scenes. And Tyrion is sort of interesting still. I'm surprised about Gendry - I always thought he would play a much larger role in the books ( secret Baratheon! ), but if they are gonna throw him to rot in some dungeon while Melissandre's vag drains him of his power - who knows.

That reminds me. There are only 2 books left to write, yeah? That is so cool the series is almost done!

It seems to me that Gendry is replacing Edric Storm so he's just gonna get brought to Storm's End and eventually rescued by Davos when it looks like Mel plans to kill him to wake the stone dragons or whatever.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

kcroy posted:

its interesting to highlight their differences, especially in light of the book where ..uh..Valarian ( whatever the sailor's name is ) has his own Fire priest, who seems to be working in a very different manner than the other two.

Victarion :black101:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Aurain posted:

I want Littlefinger to take a trip through the Moon Door so that all this heavy handed Littlefinger stuff in the show has no pay off.

That wouldn't be that surprising. Foreshadowing is just sleight-of-hand for GRRM. Gendry's parentage, the dagger, Robb's letter, Tyrion's longass trip to Dany - at this point we should be suspicious of any outcome that looks to tie up loose ends or pay off earlier plot threads.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

pentyne posted:

The transition from "fat worthless Sam" to "smartest guy on the wall by far" is going to provoke tons of TVIV readers to call bullshit and whine about it.

Before he was sent to the wall, didn't Sam do nothing but read? I can't imagine anything else for an obese noble to do besides whore it up.

Yeah in the show when Grenn and Edd are digging holes at the Fist and Sam is talking bullshit they make fun of him for reading so many books.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I just want to point out that Sam never says "I don't know what it is" re: dragonglass , Gilly asks him "What does it do?" and he says "I'm not sure it does anything".

Him suffocating the fire was uncharacteristically stupid though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So i finally reading a Dance of Dragons and boy is that book boring!!! I'm sure that Dany will not be a lovely character in Winds, right? And that they'll skip all that boring crap on the show since they took out the only good character, Strong Belwas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Well she did kill the fat kid, but it was in self-defense. Yeah she hasn't gotten her hands really bloody yet. That's disappointing.

There's actually only one missing Arya murder in the show so far (the Harrenhal guard). She didn't kill anyone directly in the weasel soup incident. However, The Tickler was substituted for Chiswyck and her prayer list of names is much shorter, so it feels like her assassin development will be slower.