Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But but ACES HIGH and ROYAL FLUSH and INSERT POKER REFERENCE HERE.

Poker? Not if it is Loras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Urdnot Fire posted:

I don't mind the Theon/Reek inclusion because a) it gave us the awesome line "My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I chose wrong", which is the most self-aware thing and makes Theon so much more likeable

For me that was actually one of the most hokey, sappy, and out-of-character lines this season so far, along with Catelyn's :qq: heartfelt confession :qq: about feeling guilty for how she treated Jon. It's cringeworthy lines like that that really take me out of it and make the show feel more like a corny ABC Family soap, so I hope they really dial those back or just cut them out entirely as it adds nothing to either the characters or the narrative.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
drat, really? I thought book Catelyn's unflinching Jon Snow hate was lazy as poo poo. She's a mother of 4 who never gives a second thought to taking out all her hate for her husbands supposed infedelity on a toddler/pre-teen while fawning over the guy who actually did it?

The idea that she tried to not take it out on him but couldn't help herself is way more believable. Not that I'm defending HOW it came about or the acting but I find that way easier to accept.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joramun posted:

For me that was actually one of the most hokey, sappy, and out-of-character lines this season so far, along with Catelyn's :qq: heartfelt confession :qq: about feeling guilty for how she treated Jon. It's cringeworthy lines like that that really take me out of it and make the show feel more like a corny ABC Family soap, so I hope they really dial those back or just cut them out entirely as it adds nothing to either the characters or the narrative.

Yes, Theon resolving his internal dilemma that drove his character in the first 2 seasons is the sappy ABC Family moment.

Seriously dude what :psyduck:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Rarity posted:

Yes, Theon resolving his internal dilemma that drove his character in the first 2 seasons is the sappy ABC Family moment.

IT'S NOT IN THE BOOKS

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Rarity posted:

"out of character" must mean "out of book character" because it's precisely in character to the TV show version.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Holy Calamity! posted:

IT'S NOT IN THE BOOKS

Some of the other show-exclusive dialogue this season has been great. Especially Olenna's and Margaery's, the latter of whom I find an insufferable brat in the books who can't die soon enough (like the show version of Ygritte), but is immensely likable on the show. Though that was to be expected, considering it's Natalie Dormer and she is incapable of being anything but wonderful.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Book Margaery was a brat? I never got that sense at all, but maybe I was doing too much discounting of Cersei's perspective?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Rarity posted:

Thank you for getting banned and making the show threads a better place

Wow, is that saying much?

rypakal posted:

"out of character" must mean "out of book character" because it's precisely in character to the TV show version.

Maybe you tv folks should keep tv chat in the tviv thread.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 8, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Book Margaery is easier to understand as a tool of her grandmother and family, and someone who actually knows how to play that role for some success as opposed to Cersei. It's hard to tell how ignorant she is of all of it, which is pretty interesting. Whereas show Margaery was like I'm in it to win it coming hard as a motherfucker.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Show-Marge is really canny, it makes it seem like her family are all political psychos. Except Loras, the big dumb nancy boy, poncing about with his dead boyfriend.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Show Marge is definitely my favourite adaptation choice. She's great.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Show Cersei and Show Margery are going to be great in the AFFC parts of season 5(?). As I'm sure they'll tune down some of the Cersei total craziness.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Holy Calamity! posted:

IT'S NOT IN THE BOOKS

Theon does come to terms with the fact he'd rather be a Stark than a Greyjoy in ADWD so that scene in the show is not exactly made up, just really early.
Unless you're referring to the Catelyn/Jon Snow bit, which obviously isn't. It's not clear.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

Theon does come to terms with the fact he'd rather be a Stark than a Greyjoy in ADWD so that scene in the show is not exactly made up, just really early.
Unless you're referring to the Catelyn/Jon Snow bit, which obviously isn't. It's not clear.

I kinda feel like Cat being humanized like that is gonna make her being a haggard water-soaked undead thing suck a lot more. So props for that show writers. Really twist the loving knife.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Show Marge is definitely my favourite adaptation choice. She's great.

Mine too, along with Melisandre and Joffrey.

Also Robert and Renly, if we're counting characters that are sadly no longer with us.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Joramun posted:

Mine too, along with Melisandre and Joffrey.

Also Robert and Renly, if we're counting characters that are sadly no longer with us.

Everyone who dies got a great actor, Ned, Robb, Tywin, etc.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

El Hefe posted:

Everyone except Ygritte.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Joramun posted:

Everyone except Ygritte.

Yeah I don't like her either.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think my favorite adaptation moment was Stannis going all grammar Nazi on Davos. That's so Raven Stannis.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

El Hefe posted:

Are we watching the same Game of Thrones?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are we watching the same Game of Thrones?

I'm a straight man but i'd gently caress him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Joramun posted:

Everyone except Ygritte.

I don't get the hate, what's wrong with TV Ygritte?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't mind her that much personally, but she's in the Kit Harrington camp of "can't convincingly put on a false accent" to me.
Rose Leslie is a proper middle class girl who grew up at an English private school and speaks like it. She's actually Scottish born, and there are incredibly few people who speak like she does in real life with her accent in Scotland. Her accent sounds fake as all heck, where all the better actors either use their real accents, like Charles Dance and Sean Bean.

Jon and Ygritte in the show are a perfect blend of can't act but look good.
She's using her speaking voice in this

E: clarification

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 8, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I counter every argument you make about her accent with the way she says "tongue". Instant boner.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't like Ygritte because she's annoying. I disliked her in the book, too. :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Aurain posted:

I don't mind her that much personally, but she's in the Kit Harrington camp of "can't convincingly put on a false accent" to me.
Rose Leslie is a proper middle class girl who grew up at an English private school and speaks like it. She's actually Scottish born, and there are incredibly few people who speak like she does in real life with her accent in Scotland. Her accent sounds fake as all heck, where all the better actors either use their real accents, like Charles Dance and Sean Bean.

Yeah, I knew that wasn't her actual accent, but that's why it pays to be North American. Most of us never notice that their accents aren't 'correct'. :v:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I knew that wasn't her actual accent, but that's why it pays to be North American. Most of us never notice that their accents aren't 'correct'. :v:

What's "correct". What's "real" and "fake? This isn't Downton Abbey. As long as they keep reasonably close to the same accent I'm fine.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Accent chat in a fantasy series is goofy as hell.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Clearly Roy Dotrice should've voiced all the characters, then you guys would be happy.

Bry-YEEN

Or would you rather have Ros' actress take over as Ygritte?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

rypakal posted:

What's "correct". What's "real" and "fake? This isn't Downton Abbey. As long as they keep reasonably close to the same accent I'm fine.

Whatever Aurain wants them to be I guess? I have never thought to complain about accents. Didn't even notice Littlefinger's changing around a bunch which reportedly happened.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Just as many arrows end up in both of them

Also book Ros was better

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I was talking about the last episode with 4 friends who have not read the books and none of them could figure out who the dude torturing Theon really was. They have a hard enough time remembering all the different names that they couldn't possibly take note of which sigils appear on whose banners. They also only watch each episode once, so any history or relationships that are mentioned but not part of the main plots get immediately forgotten.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

CaptainRightful posted:

I was talking about the last episode with 4 friends who have not read the books and none of them could figure out who the dude torturing Theon really was. They have a hard enough time remembering all the different names that they couldn't possibly take note of which sigils appear on whose banners. They also only watch each episode once, so any history or relationships that are mentioned but not part of the main plots get immediately forgotten.

There's pretty much no way for a casual viewer to remember all the characters names and affiliations and all the bullshit without consulting the viewers guide or sperging in an online forum.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Realistically speaking the Reach and the North shouldn't even be speaking the same language, and if they somehow did speak the same language the accents should be as disparate as a Texan accent vs an Indian accent. But because of Tolkien, all fantasy must use British English of some variety or other. Everyone falling into the same umbrella of "British accents that Americans can still understand" is enough of a stretch that any other complaints pale in comparison.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I always imagined the crannogmen as having Cajun accents, the Iron Islands being kinda Scandinavian, and the Crownlands being Tidewater Virginia. I suspect literally nobody else in the world had the same accents in mind when reading the books as I did though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

equity posted:

Accent chat in a fantasy series is goofy as hell.

Yeah, they have Westerosi accents, fools!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Another thing that is irksome about the show: Everything's desaturated and muted as gently caress. Hey, remember all those colourful passages about clothes and food and nature? Nope, everything brownyellowblackwhite.

But Hey. Hey, what do we say about the showchat motherfuckers. Only Ponies (shoves HBO out a moon door).

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

SaviourX posted:

Another thing that is irksome about the show: Everything's desaturated and muted as gently caress. Hey, remember all those colourful passages about clothes and food and nature? Nope, everything brownyellowblackwhite.

But Hey. Hey, what do we say about the showchat motherfuckers. Only Ponies (shoves HBO out a moon door).

gently caress you, no one wants to remember those passages.

I imagine everyone in the books speaking grammatically correct American English like myself, except for mai waifu~ Margaery who is a carbon copy of Asuka Langley Soryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Why she got Ls in her name if she asian, b?