Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Now that he is a free man, Paterson seems to enjoy hanging out by my treadmill. This is only a big deal when I want to use it since I'm not sure that he's smart enough to stay away from it and don't really want to risk that. Today, instead of chasing him back to his room, I decided to put up the baby gate. I'm not sure if any of you know about my constant struggles with the baby gate but I have NEVER gotten it to work properly. Until today.

Paterson sulked back to his room and is hiding in his tunnel. Baby just wants to workout!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Maybe he wants to go for a run with you

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dagnabit Harriet! You have a full food bowl, a big chunk of brocolli and a pile of fresh hay bigger than you. There is no reason for you to jump onto my coffee table and steal my toast while I'm writing an email before work dammit!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbits are pretty hierarchical, so that just sounds like Harriet proving her dominance over you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbits are pretty hierarchical, so that just sounds like Harriet proving her dominance over you.

It has nothing to do with dominance and everything to do with "Hey that looks delicious thanks for giving it to me (AKA leaving it unguarded for more than three seconds)".

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Maybe he wants to go for a run with you

I just worry that he will somehow get sucked under.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
The house rabbit society seems to suggest feeding bunnies alfalfa hay up until 7 months. This seems about right to me, but my girlfriend thinks this is too long since we started to transition our last rabbit (Holland Lop) to timothy hay when he was about 4 months old. Does anybody have any input on this? We're picking up a French Lop baby tomorrow.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy took the plunge. Out of nowhere she left the bunny room today and is now happily roaming the house along with Paterson. She mostly sticks to the hallway though.

So I guess that all the kindness and attention that she needed from me will just go up in smoke since she can get it from her hubby while they are on vacation together.

There aren't words to describe how much I love that photo :3:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ur rabbets I can't even

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

What a lovely pair of chinchillas you have there!

In other news, RIP to my new speakers. You didn't even stand a chance. I need to invest in a soldering iron.

Juppo is going on holiday soon though, Granddad has kindly made her a hutch and run so she's off to my parent's while I pack all my stuff up to move house and make the place look like I never owned a rabbit. Will miss her like hell but it's not for long and she gets the chance to frolic in the grass and has a bigger house to run round in. 'S all good.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

NancyPants posted:

ur rabbets I can't even

Isn't it cute how their heads tilt in opposite directions?

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Goddamn it rabbit you have an entire room full of things to ruin, why are you nibbling on my brand new shoes WHILST I AM WEARING THEM?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

happyflurple posted:

Goddamn it rabbit you have an entire room full of things to ruin, why are you nibbling on my brand new shoes WHILST I AM WEARING THEM?

It'sarabbit.jpeg

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

I'm fairly certain rabbits show affection by destroying the things you love.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Someone recommended KMS Hayloft earlier. If I was going to just get a big ole' box of Timothy Hay, which option is the best?

Their numbers mean nothing to me. Does "25 3rd Timothy" mean 25lbs of Hay? or what.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Yup, that's 25lbs of third-cut Timothy hay.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Lobsterboy posted:

Someone recommended KMS Hayloft earlier. If I was going to just get a big ole' box of Timothy Hay, which option is the best?

Their numbers mean nothing to me. Does "25 3rd Timothy" mean 25lbs of Hay? or what.

The 1st number is how many pounds of hay, the 2nd is the type of timothy hay. 3rd cut comes later in the season and is mostly leaf and very little stem. I get 3rd cut for Cilantro!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Get the bluegrass. You won't regret it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

alucinor posted:

I wish KMS sold sampler packs so you could let your bun test the hays first. Cilantro didn't like the bluegrass as much as the 3rd cut timothy, which meant we had 5 lbs of bluegrass take like 10 months to disappear.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Will anyone be willing to order the hay for me and then mail it to Canada all secret like?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Patershoe:

This rabbit. He gets into everything now! He's somehow naughtier than Bitsy. I can run around after him being like "my BAD BOY!" That's my new favourite thing to say to him. It's just what he is now. Is it possible to think that anybunny could be naughtier than Bitsy???

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

alucinor posted:

Bought some of this and some timothy. I cant wait to shower my bunnies in it. :3:

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
For everyone that has free-range buns, how do you manage the poop?

My two buns are restricted to an unused bathroom and hallway, (and I put a cover on the bath so they have a 2nd level to throw stuff off) - their litter tray is in the hallway and they pee there, but they will not poop there. They will however poop everywhere around it, it seems like they think the WHOLE hallway is the litter tray.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gordon is pretty good about pooping mainly in her box, but I find where I place hay sometimes has some effect on it. Putting in another litter tray might help some of it.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Silverfish posted:

My two buns are restricted to an unused bathroom and hallway, (and I put a cover on the bath so they have a 2nd level to throw stuff off) - their litter tray is in the hallway and they pee there, but they will not poop there. They will however poop everywhere around it, it seems like they think the WHOLE hallway is the litter tray.

Going on the above comment by Nancypants, is their hay accessible while in the litter box?

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Colour posted:

The house rabbit society seems to suggest feeding bunnies alfalfa hay up until 7 months. This seems about right to me, but my girlfriend thinks this is too long since we started to transition our last rabbit (Holland Lop) to timothy hay when he was about 4 months old. Does anybody have any input on this? We're picking up a French Lop baby tomorrow.

Unlimited alfalfa-based pellets and unlimited timothy hay for the first 6 months, then transition to a controlled amount of timothy-based pellets and unlimited timothy hay. You don't have to ever bother with alfalfa hay.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Silverfish posted:

Whilst relatively new to the world of buns, I believe it's mostly an acclimatisation and territorial thing. Our buns pooped everywhere for a couple months after we got them, but once their pen-area was settled and we made sure not to intrude they started cutting down on the carpet-bombing.

If I'm not mistaken, they tend to poop outside of their litter tray when they feel that there isn't a "safe-zone" which is theirs and only theirs, and/or you're intruding too much into their house. Try to minimise fiddling with them or their stuff in their house area. If they don't have a cage/pen/house, consider getting them one.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

My word, I think I've trained Billy to tattle on Tsjoe. Wondering if this makes me a bad owner :o:

Due to the fact that I can NOT give them treats when they're together -or else blood will be spilled- the only time I can give Billy a treat is when the other one is too busy destroying my dining table to notice. Somehow he's caught on to there being a connection and now whenever she's being bad, he'll run over and beg for my attention.

He obviously doesn't get treats EVERY time she's being bad or else I would be feeding them for about 70% of the day but it's interesting to see the kind of mental gymnastics they're prepared to do for food. Whenever she feels like a treat she'll start herding him into their cage, because she knows she only gets one when he's not around.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Pig Boots posted:

Unlimited alfalfa-based pellets and unlimited timothy hay for the first 6 months, then transition to a controlled amount of timothy-based pellets and unlimited timothy hay. You don't have to ever bother with alfalfa hay.

My buns love alfalfa hay. They get a little bit as a treat occasionally.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Went on another rabbit rescuing expedition last night, to capture this little guy:

I just wanted to browse cute bunny pictures on Reddit, but someone posted that their neighbour had abandoned a bunny in their apartment block's shared garden and they couldn't catch him.

He let me come right up to him and pat him, and didn't struggle too much when I picked him up. We took him to the local vet who had a rabbit loving employee who is confident she can rehome him.

Poor little bun, he was very tame and it makes me sad that someone would just abandon him :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

kells posted:

Went on another rabbit rescuing expedition last night, to capture this little guy:

I just wanted to browse cute bunny pictures on Reddit, but someone posted that their neighbour had abandoned a bunny in their apartment block's shared garden and they couldn't catch him.

He let me come right up to him and pat him, and didn't struggle too much when I picked him up. We took him to the local vet who had a rabbit loving employee who is confident she can rehome him.

Poor little bun, he was very tame and it makes me sad that someone would just abandon him :(

Glad you were able to save his sweet little face :3:

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I so miss my buns so I'm stalking all of your buns instead.

(I moved, left them with a trusted friend.)

Also, a page back, re. food for bunnies? My bunnies loved wine and Frith would eat anything. ANYTHING. Reasonably sure pig/pork is higher on the food chain than rabbit is but he'd try to steal a bite anyway. Sigh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

angelicism posted:

I so miss my buns so I'm stalking all of your buns instead.

(I moved, left them with a trusted friend.)

Also, a page back, re. food for bunnies? My bunnies loved wine and Frith would eat anything. ANYTHING. Reasonably sure pig/pork is higher on the food chain than rabbit is but he'd try to steal a bite anyway. Sigh.

Please. I have to be extra careful when moving food from the kitchen to my dining table because Harriet will charge me to get me to drop a morsel she can run off with.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

KMS Hayloft had a huge box waiting for me when I got off of work. I put a pile in for my two girls and a handful for my foster, they all kind of nibbled and looked at it, but within a few minutes it was feasting time.

Good lord, you guys weren't kidding. That bluegrass is like bunny crack.

edit:

ALSO:

Curious bunny. :3:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

kells posted:

:3:

I miss my bunnies...

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I built my rabbit a little hay dispenser box this weekend in about 15 minutes. I'm pretty proud of it and it keeps me from having to constantly transfer hay back and forth from bag/box/cage.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Hebug posted:

I built my rabbit a little hay dispenser box this weekend in about 15 minutes. I'm pretty proud of it and it keeps me from having to constantly transfer hay back and forth from bag/box/cage.

Shall we open a book on how long until that very cute bunny starts eating the box?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Shall we open a book on how long until that very cute bunny starts eating the box?

I would say he already started eating it. So whats the over/under on negative hours?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'll add that he's making GBS threads there. As well as eating the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

so Bitsy has a thing called "Cherry Eye" that you have probably seen in small dogs. Right now it isn't bad, and her eyes return to normal right after they "cherry" but if it gets worse we might have to explore a surgical route.

Paterson is still really smart.