Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

I'm just crying for you three right now, poo poo the world is so painful and selfish sometimes. But don't give up hope, I've heard of people finding their bird a week later after it flies to someone who sees the notice. But poo poo, gently caress the guy who took your cage, that is just the loving shittiest thing to do.

I'm so sad that Rosy has passed away, but at least she managed to die in the lap of the person who she has loved and who has taken care of her for 17 years. Rest in peace, Rosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That breaks my heart. Do any of you three have any feathers that you saved? I'm a jeweler and I'm trying something new, and I'd love to use the opportunity to give you something to ease the pain.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I can't believe someone would be heartless and brazen enough to steal the cage despite the note. That's a new kind of low. I'm watching my budgies and lovebirds peck away at their little bird snack bars. I don't normally feed them that stuff unless I'm training them, but after the events of the last day or two- I just want to be extra nice to them.

:unsmith:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

gently caress. I've been sitting here with the reply window open for about ten minutes staring at it. I just... I don't have the words.

Like SaNChEzZ said, apologies don't mean much especially over the internet but all I feel I can say is that I'm really sorry.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Oh god, I'm so sorry about the disappearing birds and I really do hope they find their way home, or at least find another home where they will be loved. And I'm so sorry for your loss, LITERALLY A BIRD. :(

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Thank you, everyone. My friends and family have been amazing (mom spent six hours looking, then checked the cage after we'd left it behind, and made me stay with her because I've had self-harm reactions to trauma, and my roomie made me a care package of fresh clothes and cookies). It really, really helps to know that I'm not crazy for loving my bird so much and that people out there care. Explaining what I was doing all morning and afternoon to strangers who laughed at the crazy looking, barefoot, and soaking wet woman was stressful and aggravating.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Chiyo was so special we all knew her by name.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

This thread has made me extremely paranoid about my birds getting out. I let them out of their cage all the time. Are they relatively safe from escaping as long as their wings are clipped? The reason the birds were able to get away was because they were all fully flighted, right? I'm trying to find some more information but it says even clipped birds can get a lot of air when the wind blows the right way.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

This thread has made me extremely paranoid about my birds getting out. I let them out of their cage all the time. Are they relatively safe from escaping as long as their wings are clipped? The reason the birds were able to get away was because they were all fully flighted, right? I'm trying to find some more information but it says even clipped birds can get a lot of air when the wind blows the right way.

It is less easy when they are clipped for them to maneuver inside and, say, accidentally shoot out a window. However, it is very VERY easy for smaller birds to get caught in a breeze if they are outside, clipped or not. Leeloo was clipped and got outside, and I think the only thing that saved her was that she flew into the side of the trailer next door. It sounds like the escaped budgie wanted very badly to return but kept getting pushed up by wind.

Also, a lot of birds just freak if they accidentally get out. They see all those huge trees and that big open sky, and their lil brains just immediately go ESCAPE FLY AWAY. By the time they get a grip, they are up a tree or in a completely unfamiliar neighborhood.

My friend had two amazons who were fully flighted and made a point to walk them around the block when they moved so they'd recognize any landmarks if they got out. She also had the bonus of one of them having an obsessive recall to a cordless drill and that the other would follow where that one went. However, she was very well versed in free flighted birds and knew exactly what to do. Taking them outside unclipped and untethered is something that you only do if the birds know what they are doing just as much as you do, along with the environment being appropriate.

There was a guy on youtube who was free-flighting his grey and neither he nor the bird knew what they were doing. She took off one day and never returned. :(

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 12, 2013

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

That breaks my heart. Do any of you three have any feathers that you saved? I'm a jeweler and I'm trying something new, and I'd love to use the opportunity to give you something to ease the pain.

Thats a really sweet offer but I don't have any feathers I've kept. I really appreciate the thought though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tasty_Crayon posted:

There was a guy on youtube who was free-flighting his grey and neither he nor the bird knew what they were doing. She took off one day and never returned. :(

Was that Tui? She was lovely :(

My girl grey Pookie got startled outside one time about 7 years ago. She was fairly closely clipped (all flight feathers on both wings right back to the sort-of rounded main wing feathers.) She managed to fly around the side of the house, across three large gardens in the opposite direction to the one she left in, and took six hours of frantic searching to find.

It was a loving monstrous day that I wouldn't wish on anyone; and I want to underline a few things; greys are heavy and slow at the best of times but Pookie still got lost. Budgies and cockatiels are amazing fliers and are very light in the body. Even when heavily clipped they are still surprisingly aerodynamic. On a breezy day, all it takes is a stray gust to carry them off forever.

Please don't take stupid chances with your little guys and girls. It is not worth it at all :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tui's story was so sad.

My dream is to get an african grey someday when I'm more capable of meeting the bird's needs. After losing my budgie like this I'm also looking into getting a flight harnass and making sure to both teach my bird how to fly and fly well and train her to fly to me on command.

I found my budgie easily enough but the combination of him being a poor flier and not being trained to come to me hurt us. I feel if I had been a better bird trainer I could have got the little guy back.

When I have the time and money to get a larger parrot I will definitely being going the extra mile to make sure that even if he does get out he's prepared and I can just find him and bring him home.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

The video from Tui's owner, after she was lost, is so sad-the one with him talking about what happened, he starts crying while talking, and how he regrets everything.

Before we got screens on a few of the windows, the birds were not allowed out if a window was open-the risk of them spooking and naturally flying up, clinging to the top of the window (they're usually opened from the top, rather than the side) and then going forward out was too much. I'm sure my partner thought I was being paranoid, but better that than a lost bird. When Ohtori had his one wing clipped, he wasn't able to get any lift at all, but if he was outside he'd probably have been able to manage with a breeze.

This is the saddest thread today. :(

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I found the video everyone is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlxjZQUueQ.

I'm speechless, it really sounds like he only wanted the best for his bird. :(

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

gently caress. I'm just going to cry for everyone. Jesus Christ :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I have a little fabric bag full of Rosy and Ama's shed pinions and tail feathers actually. My email's [redacted].

My boyfriend and I drove up to his mother's house today and we buried Rosy in her rose garden. His mother is going to buy a little statue to put over the grave. I've been crying off and on all day, after that initial horrible grief this morning, and I'm sure I will be for a while but she was A Good Bird, we had a very long time together, and as everybody said I'm grateful I could be with her when she died.

Bizness, Agent, my heart is with both of you, too.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 27, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have a little fabric bag full of Rosy and Ama's shed pinions and tail feathers actually.

My boyfriend and I drove up to his mother's house today and we buried Rosy in her rose garden. His mother is going to buy a little statue to put over the grave. I've been crying off and on all day, after that initial horrible grief this morning, and I'm sure I will be for a while but she was A Good Bird, we had a very long time together, and as everybody said I'm grateful I could be with her when she died.

Bizness, Agent, my heart is with both of you, too.

It sounds like the best thing you could have given her was to have been there for her when her time came. 17 years is so long for a little cockatiel and having someone who you can grow up with and care for you like crazy is like winning the bird lottery every day of your life.

I still miss Fred like crazy and I sing to him basically every single day, but I feel comfortable knowing that he had a good and happy life. What amazes me is hearing from other people who have been affected by Fred, even after he passed. There's a baby chick in a GBS thread that someone named after Fred, and I'm looking forward to watching that little chicken grow up. I also work for a film festival and I managed to get a picture of Fred in our festival trailer, so when the festival opens next month, Fred will be immortalized on the silver screen for thousands of festival goers :)

Growing up with Fred taught me a lot of things about life - to sing when I'm happy, puff up and get fat when I'm comfortable, but most importantly, that just being around someone you love is enough. RIP Rosy, you were well loved

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 27, 2014

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

Growing up with Fred taught me a lot of things about life - to sing when I'm happy, puff up and get fat when I'm comfortable, but most importantly, that just being around someone you love is enough. RIP Rosy, you were well loved

Your whole post made me :unsmith: but this part in particular I love. I want to steal this philosophy for my own life.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

What Wizard said. :unsmith: Your post actually made me burst into tears a little bit (in a good way), thank you. I appreciate it so very much.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This fukken thread. I cant handle these ups and downs =(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
On a brighter note, Hannah somehow learned 'GIMME GIMME GIMME!'

I'm not sure where he learned it. Neither of us taught him that. Maybe it was from a TV show or something. Surprisingly he has learned to use it in the right context. I had a couple apricots and he said it a couple times until I gave him a chunk.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus keeps climbing to places Rosy loved to sit and making the distressed quacks that have always translated to "let her out I'm lonely." I'm sorry, honey. She's not coming back. Please stop. Please/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus keeps climbing to places Rosy loved to sit and making the distressed quacks that have always translated to "let her out I'm lonely." I'm sorry, honey. She's not coming back. Please stop. Please/

I can relate to that. Hannah still does noises he learned from our lovebird that died years ago. It still stings a bit when he does it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Mamacita and Dio have been so quiet. I nearly forgot that they lost a daughter, too. I'm glad they're not calling in vain, at least. It's two in the morning and I'm so close to grabbing Zeke and Zoe from their cage and crying into their feathers. They never mind.

Thanks for letting us turn this into an e/n thread for a weekend, guys. It's good to know I'm not alone.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I need to know what colours Chiyo, Rosy, and the budgie are.
I say are because even though we're unsure of some fates, that doesn't mean they don't live with us in our hearts and minds, right here and now.

The Wayward Potatoes of May.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 13, 2013

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I am so sorry for all of you. Just know that, eventually, it will get better :gbsmith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rosy's a lutino. Radiantly white and yellow. That's a lovely gesture, noodles, thank you.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Here's the closest thing I could find on google.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I took a bunch of old videos of Fred and set put them together to a song I'd been listening to a lot when Fred passed. It's up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qibDlCtm8

Sorry for the glitches in the video, I mostly filmed him as tests for equipment & software I was using. The track fades out to his song for me when I wasn't up and close enough. While I'm laying down right there. Right next to him. In full view. Fred was allowed to nap all day but apparently I was not.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I talked to two nice parrots today. (apart from my own girls of course)

Both are pet-shop residents but are apparently cuddled and spoiled by the staff behind the scenes.

The first was a sulphur-crested cockatoo, who took the opportunity of me being distracted to stick a long leg out of the bars and make a hole in my coat, but later enjoyed playing "peep" with me when I hid behind various shelves in the shop and popped out at him. (Yes, I may have looked like a lunatic but the shop was empty and the bird was bored). He loved the peeping and did all kinds of cockatoo dancing as I came back over to talk to him.

The second was a drowsy galah who was about to have a lunch-time nap in his cage. I did that kind-of friendly sleepyface at him and he climbed up the cage to sit nearby and slowblinked at me until he was all asleep so I snuck off.

It was really nice. :3:

(I am probably a mad person but there were no witnesses so I'm safe unless you guys blab.)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

As I mentioned what feels like years ago, one of my coffeeshop regulars just came back from South America. He took a couple toucan pictures for me, I thought you guys and Mindo's owner especially might like them.

This little fella, too. :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

So holy poo poo, electrical fire in our trailer. The maintenance guys were working on the ceiling in our kitchen when they smelled smoke and caught it right as it began to smoulder all the way on the other side in the bedroom. I cannot stress how happy I am that they were there. They even covered the birds so they wouldn't be cold and threw all the doors open to let the smell out. We were so lucky, all I can think about is how fast the birds could have died from smoke inhalation, even if all our stuff made it.

Roo was a dick the entire time, yelling at people. Leeloo was terrified and I was afraid she was hurt cause she was sitting funny, but the moment I let her out she took a massive GIANT poo poo all over my chair. So I guess She refuses to poop when she's scared. Good to know.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You know Hannah does something like that. When I get home from work and let him out, he gets on his play perch and immediately takes a massive dump. I suspect he knows when I get home and holds his poop so it makes a giant one. I'm pretty sure he does it to say, "gently caress you for being at work all day."

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Roo was a dick the entire time, yelling at people. Leeloo was terrified and I was afraid she was hurt cause she was sitting funny, but the moment I let her out she took a massive GIANT poo poo all over my chair. So I guess She refuses to poop when she's scared. Good to know.

I figure it's a natural defense system - if you're not sure about your surroundings, or what's a threat, pooping means leaving evidence that you're there.

bassguitarhero posted:

This is beautiful and I'm stealing it.

It's been an awful few days for Bird Crazies. We're here for all of you.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 14, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Condolences to everyone in the thread who lost a bird the past few days. I feel for all of you. :smithcloud:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I feel so bad for you guys and your birds. Not sure what else to say right now.

Here is Steve singing and being terrible at it. This is the most melodic he's been in ages, he doesn't usually bother aside from the odd wolf whistle. Maybe one day he'll untangle the notes and sing his songs properly again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBtT6pCj0jQ

For some reason he was furious at me this evening. I opened the cage to take him out to come to shower before bed as usual, and when I put my hand in to get him to step up he decided NOPE and spread his wings, squealed, hissed, and bit me repeatedly. I hadn't touched him, and he had to come over to bite me too. He got left alone in his cage while the rest of us went to the bathroom (he didn't make any calls), then when we came back and he got put to bed, he tried to attack the towels that cover his cage. :derptiel:

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
There are far more important things going on in this thread, so please feel free to ignore this. I'm basically just venting right now.

My roommate has now been keeping Bird in the tiny cage in his room whenever I'm home. He doesn't talk to her and doesn't watch her much. She screamed for about 2 hours straight yesterday, with no response from him. I don't know if he's good at tuning things out, or if he doesn't care. He's been complaining that she's really moody now. He's finally out of the house tonight, so I had a chance to visit with her briefly. She is now very jumpy and aggressive (she actually bit me for the first time!). It took me probably about 10 minutes to calm her down, and even then, she still didn't get back to her normal self. I think he is actually going to completely gently caress up this bird. In just two days, her personality has completely changed. She is not a happy bird any more.

There's nothing I can do. I know you will all think I am a terrible person, but I think I'm just going to find a new place to live. I can't bear to watch him ruin a bird's life. This is so hosed up. I should have just kept playing with her in secret. I screwed everything up by doing it in front of him. blahhhhhhh

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

electricgoat posted:

There are far more important things going on in this thread, so please feel free to ignore this. I'm basically just venting right now.

My roommate has now been keeping Bird in the tiny cage in his room whenever I'm home. He doesn't talk to her and doesn't watch her much. She screamed for about 2 hours straight yesterday, with no response from him. I don't know if he's good at tuning things out, or if he doesn't care. He's been complaining that she's really moody now. He's finally out of the house tonight, so I had a chance to visit with her briefly. She is now very jumpy and aggressive (she actually bit me for the first time!). It took me probably about 10 minutes to calm her down, and even then, she still didn't get back to her normal self. I think he is actually going to completely gently caress up this bird. In just two days, her personality has completely changed. She is not a happy bird any more.

There's nothing I can do. I know you will all think I am a terrible person, but I think I'm just going to find a new place to live. I can't bear to watch him ruin a bird's life. This is so hosed up. I should have just kept playing with her in secret. I screwed everything up by doing it in front of him. blahhhhhhh

You didn't screw anything up, so stop that.

Your roommate is technically correct in ignoring her yelling. Going to a yelling bird when it's screaming enforces the habit, but the poor thing shouldn't be yelling in the first place. But bird's owner is a fucktard so here we are.

I don't think anyone would blame you if you moved out, but if you do I think you should call in a noise complaint every day until he's forced to leave or get rid of te bird. Maybe then he'll give it to someone.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Amaya posted:

You didn't screw anything up, so stop that.

Your roommate is technically correct in ignoring her yelling. Going to a yelling bird when it's screaming enforces the habit, but the poor thing shouldn't be yelling in the first place. But bird's owner is a fucktard so here we are.

I don't think anyone would blame you if you moved out, but if you do I think you should call in a noise complaint every day until he's forced to leave or get rid of te bird. Maybe then he'll give it to someone.

She was less than a foot away from him when she was screaming (he's at his desk on his computer while she's beside him in the cage on his bed). She used to chirp first, then if a person didn't talk to her or come over, she would scream for at most about 10 seconds, then stop when she realized that doesn't work. This was insane. She has never screamed anything even kind of like this before.

The noise complaint thing is a really good idea. I suspect neighbours will be filing a few if she continues to scream. Once I have found a new place (and no longer have to worry about getting kicked out and becoming homeless), I will definitely call in some complaints. Thank you so much for the suggestion! I'm just really worried because the vacancy rate here is very low, and it usually takes about 6 months to find a place to live. I can't watch this for 6 months. He'll probably kill her during that time. :(

Thank you for saying it's not my fault. I just keep playing it out in my head and wishing I had done things differently. I feel so awful. I can't imagine how Bird feels. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I am sorry for YOU for having to out up with this. Us marshmallow hearts know how you feel.