Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Eva is also just such a huge series that it's hard to find giant robot shows made after it that don't show, one way or another, its impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hideaki Anno is in the special thanks section, then again so is a bunch of other Macross staff IIRC, and as we all know that was in Robotech, so :v:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's also a shot of the suits filling up with some kind of yellow-orange liquid, LCL-like.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Giggily posted:

Man, I just saw 3.0 for the first time, and one thing is nagging me. Has anyone thought of an explanation for what the spears that Shinji pulls out are? There was only one in the TV series, but a bunch of man made ones. Are those supposed to be man made spears in Rebuild as well?

There's also the repeat theory, that it's the Spear of Longinus from the rebuild timeline, and the one from the original series timeline.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Probably the big difference is the robots in Pacific Rim require the use of two pilots. One of them requires 3 pilots. The pilots can also read each others minds, and see all of their memories. The memory sharing thing is suppose to be a big part of the story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I said come in! posted:

Probably the big difference is the robots in Pacific Rim require the use of two pilots. One of them requires 3 pilots. The pilots can also read each others minds, and see all of their memories. The memory sharing thing is suppose to be a big part of the story.

Without getting into spoilery details, this isn't as dissimilar as it might sound.

Please be sure to post reactions as you watch!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think Pacific Rim's going to have much in common with Eva, but I'm still pretty hyped for it.

I said come in! posted:

I've never watched Evangelion before, but got really interested in it recently because people keep saying that Pacific Rim looks very similar, and that is a movie i'm pretty excited to see. I've watched the first two movies this week, and they were both pretty good. :) I almost never watch anime ever, so it was pretty different for me.

Good, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's really nice to have someone new to Eva because I put a lot of introductory stuff in the OP hoping someone would find it useful! The third film is fansubbed, by the way, if you want to watch it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Please do, it'd be fascinating to see what you think - just don't whitenoisepost, it's probateable. And this thread is full of spoilers for everything except Rebuild 3, so beware.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Without getting into spoilery details, this isn't as dissimilar as it might sound.

I really like the characters and their conflicts the most. Even if having 14 year olds fight giant monsters is pretty odd, but I assume that will be explained later on. Every time Gendo Ikari is shown, it seems to be to hint to the audience that there is way more going on then we are shown at this point. I appreciate that the movies are more then just giant robots fighting giant monsters, it's really way more about these young teenagers being put into a really terrible situation and overcoming their own personal issues, which are many. At the same time though, it's understandable that they are all pretty dysfunctional considering the world they are growing up in, and that they are tasked with having to save what is left of their planet and species. That's what I got from watching the first two movies anyways. :)

Basically that's what I like to see in my movies, is that sort of deep conflict with characters, it makes for good drama, and Eva has some real intense action scenes because of this. I did however feel like the final battle in 2.22 was a total cop out, with Shinji's Eva all of a sudden resurrecting, and healing itself? But i'm trying not to be too critical of that moment because I assume it'll make sense later on, but for now it felt like a really weak plot device, in an otherwise good film. So the movies do a real good job at keeping you interested through a mystery that is only explained in small chunks, without feeling really tacky and cheap. It's easy to screw something like this up, but the writers nailed it really well.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 25, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well it's anime so your million billion ton war machines are naturally going to be given to 14 year old kids. It's just par for the course, but Eva does explain why it is necessary in this series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're going to have a lot of time to kill if you're waiting for 3.33 to get released stateside or for the fourth film to come out, so you might as well go watch the TV series + EoE in the meantime.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I said come in! posted:

I really like the characters and their conflicts the most. Even if having 14 year olds fight giant monsters is pretty odd, but I assume that will be explained later on. Every time Gendo Ikari is shown, it seems to be to hint to the audience that there is way more going on then we are shown at this point. I appreciate that the movies are more then just giant robots fighting giant monsters, it's really way more about these young teenagers being put into a really terrible situation and overcoming their own personal issues, which are many. At the same time though, it's understandable that they are all pretty dysfunctional considering the world they are growing up in, and that they are tasked with having to save what is left of their planet and species. That's what I got from watching the first two movies anyways. :)

Basically that's what I like to see in my movies, is that sort of deep conflict with characters, it makes for good drama, and Eva has some real intense action scenes because of this. I did however feel like the final battle in 2.22 was a total cop out, with Shinji's Eva all of a sudden resurrecting, and healing itself? But i'm trying not to be too critical of that moment because I assume it'll make sense later on, but for now it felt like a really weak plot device, in an otherwise good film. So the movies do a real good job at keeping you interested through a mystery that is only explained in small chunks, without feeling really tacky and cheap. It's easy to screw something like this up, but the writers nailed it really well.

You should really, really watch the TV series and End of Evangelion if you like the Rebuilds. I can't imagine going into those movies without having seen the originals first.

ACanofPepsi posted:

Well it's anime so your million billion ton war machines are naturally going to be given to 14 year old kids. It's just par for the course, but Eva does explain why it is necessary in this series.

Which seems to be negated in the Rebuilds. I remember in an episode of the original series they were making a big deal out of cross compatibility for pilots and Evangelions, and that only Rei and Kaworu were able to do it. But, in the Rebuilds, it seems like anybody can hop into any Evangelion and it just works. I wonder if this will ever be explained.

The Rebuilds make me very confused.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 25, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Basically that's what I like to see in my movies, is that sort of deep conflict with characters, it makes for good drama, and Eva has some real intense action scenes because of this. I did however feel like the final battle in 2.22 was a total cop out, with Shinji's Eva all of a sudden resurrecting, and healing itself? But i'm trying not to be too critical of that moment because I assume it'll make sense later on, but for now it felt like a really weak plot device, in an otherwise good film.

This is one of the cases where having seen the original series would help. They go to much greater lengths to show you, and to slowly lead you into the idea that the Evangelions are barely-restrained gods -- the relationship is more like a horse and its rider than a machine, only the horse is immortal, better-informed than you are, and carnivorous. (Mild spoilers that you've already been indirectly exposed to in 2.22.)

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Basically that's what I like to see in my movies, is that sort of deep conflict with characters, it makes for good drama, and Eva has some real intense action scenes because of this. I did however feel like the final battle in 2.22 was a total cop out, with Shinji's Eva all of a sudden resurrecting, and healing itself? But i'm trying not to be too critical of that moment because I assume it'll make sense later on, but for now it felt like a really weak plot device, in an otherwise good film.

This is a victim of the streamlining - it made perfect sense in the original series but a lot of groundwork has been removed in Rebuild that causes it to come across this way. What did you think of Rei and Mari, by the way?

The nest bit spoils the TV series:

Giggily posted:

Which seems to be negated in the Rebuilds. I remember in an episode of the original series they were making a big deal out of cross compatibility for pilots and Evangelions, and that only Rei and Kaworu were able to do it. But, in the Rebuilds, it seems like anybody can hop into any Evangelion and it just works. I wonder if this will ever be explained.

Yes, this was the point of the dummy plugs. I don't remember seeing anything in Rebuild implying that the Evas were characters rather than, well, units, which I suppose mainly comes down to berserking and meeting Yui inside Leliel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

House Louse posted:

What did you think of Rei and Mari, by the way?

Rei is a really awesome character, I like it when her and Shinji interact with each other, and I want to know more about her background. I don't know what to make of Mari to be honest. I shouldn't ask for spoilers, but is Asuka coming back? :ohdear: I started to really like her character a lot by the time her Eva is taken out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, you should really watch the series before going any further. Rebuild isn't a remake in any real sense, more of a spiritual sequel. And probably a literal sequel, too.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Echoing the advice to watch the series and then the original movie (End of Evangelion).

The new movies start off as remakes but quickly diverge, and despite being remakes (up to a point) they're still responses to the original story, and depend on you having seen the TV series. As far as remakes/reboots/sequels go, they're pretty loving snooker loopy concepts. The third Rebuild movie in particular will boggle you into oblivion.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 26, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm on episode 3 now of the series, and yeah, i'm starting to see why you guys recommend the series first.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
It sure does have a lot of stupid filler poo poo in it too though. Good luck!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Honestly though I still don't regret watching the first two movies. They were cool and I think I might not have wanted to bother with the series otherwise. These got me more interested.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just got done watching 3.33 with a friend. I haven't read any of the comments prior to posting this because I didn't want to spoil myself. All both of us have to say after watching this trainwreck is
"Congratulations!!!" :downsbravo:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I said come in! posted:

Honestly though I still don't regret watching the first two movies. They were cool and I think I might not have wanted to bother with the series otherwise. These got me more interested.

I was the same way a few months ago. I never would have watched the series if it wasn't for 1.1 and 2.2. The TV show was made in 1995 and it shows it's age. But if you like the world they created in the movies the series explores it a lot deeper. Like an entire episode dedicated to fixing that giant football field sized combat computer everybody sits in front of/on. The end is a bit weird but if you know that going in its not so bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you taking 3.33 without reading the subtext and judging it stupid, or just bewildered by the barrage of :wtf: that happens during it and are still sussing it out?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Honestly it's the barrage of :wtf: that starts after the first 5 minutes. There is also the fact that The entire movie is basically the viewer taking on Shinji's position of "what's going on, just tell me what's going on". Up until Shinji decides that listening to the one person who has shown him any kindness is a bad idea and then proceeds to pull out the spears.
I've seen the previous two movies and even they didn't fill me with as much confusion and anger than this one did. I'm going to have to sleep on it though and maybe watch it again later this week.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
3.33 bewildered me at first because it finally struck me that it was a completely new NGE story, rather than a slight variation from previous versions.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's problematic is I don't know if Anno & team are being purposely obtuse to set us up for the masterstroke that will be 4.44, or they've just lost their touch :(.

I do like 3.33, it's a gorgeous movie, but man I'm not so sure it was a good idea to go off the beaten path like it did. Time will tell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm going to go with they know what they're doing. If I'm wrong, well, it'll be very disappointing at least.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Yeah, Gainax is great at ending things.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Safe and Secure! posted:

This is one of those statements where I give it perfect 50/50 odds of being sarcasm or not.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Safe and Secure! posted:

Melody of Oblivion? Mahoromatic?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is one of those statements where I give it perfect 50/50 odds of being sarcasm or not.

How could it possibly be anything other than sarcasm

The only outright good ending gainax has ever had is Fooly Cooly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

How could it possibly be anything other than sarcasm

Gunbuster's is amazing, Diebuster's is okay, Panty and Stocking's is hilarious, both of Evangelion's are great... I realize people get upset about them, but those people are largely wrong. :colbert:

In fact the only Gainax ending I wouldn't defend (out of the show's I've seen and finished -- couldn't be arsed with Nadia) is TTGL, on thematic grounds, and it's still way too pretty and emotionally effective to call it bad.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 26, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gunbuster's is amazing, Diebuster's is okay, Panty and Stocking's is hilarious, both of Evangelion's are great... I realize people get upset about them, but those people are largely wrong. :colbert:

In fact the only Gainax ending I wouldn't defend (out of the show's I've seen and finished -- couldn't be arsed with Nadia) is TTGL, on thematic grounds, and it's still way too pretty and emotionally effective to call it bad.

Eva's ending is literally the most insane poo poo ever made.

EoE is literally the second most insane thing ever made.

P&S is a bullshit last minute twist out of nowhere for absolutely no reason. Universally hated. (granted, its Panty and stocking, so it doesn't cut as deep as it would in a serious show)

GL is almost universally disliked. It is considered thematically inconsistent by most, and even the people who do like the ending content wise have to admit its poorly told.

Never seen the busters, but I've seen plenty of anger about them

Gainax is legendary for loving up endings

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I think of people saying "Gainax'd" it largely boils down to two groups: Eva complaints and Mahoromatic complaints.

edit: hey idiot stop dropping opinions as if they are fact when saying poo poo is bad or not. I thought P&S's ending was perfect. I thought EOE was a magnificent mindfuck.

Really, the issue a lot of folks have had with some of Gainax's endings are their gimmick of killing female leads. It's happened in two, possibly more(haven't watched all of Gainax's catalog) series, and really, I was fine with BOTH show's endings that involved those aside from those pretty needless parts.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 26, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't dislike any of those endings. :shrug:

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
EoE's ending is glorious. Seriously, it's loving art.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

When I think of people saying "Gainax'd" it largely boils down to two groups: Eva complaints and Mahoromatic complaints.

edit: hey idiot stop dropping opinions as if they are fact when saying poo poo is bad or not. I thought P&S's ending was perfect. I thought EOE was a magnificent mindfuck.

Really, the issue a lot of folks have had with some of Gainax's endings are their gimmick of killing female leads. It's happened in two, possibly more(haven't watched all of Gainax's catalog) series, and really, I was fine with BOTH show's endings that involved those aside from those pretty needless parts.

I'm not trying to paint my own opinions as fact, these are just fairly common thoughts about Gainax endings. Regardless of your thoughts on GL's ending theme-wise, you have to admit it could have been done better (which in turn would have reduced the rage over it). When the last ep of Panty and stocking dropped people stared to call it "the day gainax ruined christmas". Gainax endings are extremely divisive at best.

Edged Hymn posted:

EoE's ending is glorious. Seriously, it's loving art.

Yeah I'll fuckin' fight you if you dislike Eva's endings. That poo poo is gloriously insane. Shinji floats in the black void of his self conscious as he psycho analyzes himself is the only time I have ever stared at screen and truly felt disbelief. And then in EoE Rei strips naked, turns into the stay puft marshmallow man and turns the world into tang.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah I'll fuckin' fight you if you dislike Eva's endings. That poo poo is gloriously insane. Shinji floats in the black void of his self conscious as he psycho analyzes himself is the only time I have ever stared at screen and truly felt disbelief. And then in EoE Rei strips naked, turns into the stay puft marshmallow man and turns the world into tang.

I don't know how I can phrase this without coming off as the "you just don't get it :smug:" guy, but people who honestly, genuinely hate EoE because it makes "no sense" are not the type of people it was made for. Eva doesn't have to speak to your soul or whatever - not everyone has struggled with the same feelings that compelled Anno to write Eva the way he did, and that's okay - but nerds who refuse to engage with anything beyond a purely superficial level are the worst kind of fans.

edit: not calling you out, but there are people out there who share the sentiments you express.

Yeah yeah I know stop getting mad about animu

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah I'll fuckin' fight you if you dislike Eva's endings.

:raise:

I dunno man, if the second statement is accurate than we don't disagree about the important things.

But the threads here on TTGL and P&S were not rage-filled at all. The reaction to TTGL was at least half positive and I don't think I saw anyone complain about the P&S ending (because it's really funny and obviously a joke about other Gainax endings.) People were far more upset when they found out that a second season wasn't actually going to happen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally and universally are two words that you're using very incorrectly if you're "not trying to paint your own opinions as fact", then.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People were far more upset when they found out that a second season wasn't actually going to happen.
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Eva's ending is literally the most insane poo poo ever made.

Okay, did anyone else watch the series as a teenager and come out of it feeling like it was a really satisfying ending? Because I watched it when I was 13 or so, liked it and it didn't cross my mind that anyone would have a problem with it until I started poking around on the internet a while later. In retrospect I can totally see how it threw people and why someone might not like it, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who just took it well at face value.