Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Honestly, I think the biggest, best troll possible would be if 4.44 tied the entire rebuild series up in a nice package with everything explained and no loose ends, and ends on a shot of Shinji and Asuka posing for a family portrait with their kids :v:

Nah, the best troll would be doing the above, but answering all of the questions in as deliberately an unsatisfying manner as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, the best troll would be doing the above, but answering all of the questions in as deliberately an unsatisfying manner as possible.

Ah, the LOST method of ending a series.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

If they start answering the big questions that result is basically inevitable, just like Lost and tons of other shows and movies and books with big long-running mysteries. You start throwing explanations around and no one leaves happy. It doesn't matter what those explanations are. They can never possibly live up to years and years of fan theorizing.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 30, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

If they start answering the big questions that result is basically inevitable, just like Lost and tons of other shows and movies and books with big long-running mysteries. You start throwing explanations around and no one leaves happy. It doesn't matter what those explanations are. They can never possibly live up to years and years of fan theorizing.

To be fair, years and years of fan theorizing are often breathtakingly retarded and not worth regarding in the first place. It's a nasty situation - answering no questions vs answering all questions vs answering some questions but what if they're the questions no one wants answered and then the director gives up and goes to voice-act a cat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WitchFetish posted:

Once this is done though, I will no poo poo buy a plane ticket to Japan and murder the first rear end in a top hat who tries to make a remake/alternate universe story/anything because seriously.
I don't think you can do a "darker and edgier" remake of Evangelion without violating obscenity laws, though, and remakes these days only come in "darker and edgier" flavor.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Hasn't virtually all the post television series media been based on that alternate RomCom style world shown for all of 3 mins in the last episode?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, they've had a ton of manga based on Shinji living a semi-normal life with everyone. Angelic Days, Shinji Ikari Raising Project, and a ton of other crap I'm sure I haven't heard of yet. I concede that I actually enjoy what I see of these because, hey, I always like more Rei and Kaworu. Even in the regular school comics, they tend to be the most interesting characters. I think Angelic Days Kaworu was another version that could recall the events of the original series? It's been so long since I've read the stuff.

The only other things I really remember are Ritsuko being all "I WANT TO SCREW YOUR DAD." in the first volume, and then Shinji eventually dumping Rei for Asuka. If I get bored, I may have to skim over the stuff again. They've been collecting dust on my bookshelf for years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished the series a couple days ago. I really liked it, but I liked the movies more. In the series, the episode that did a whole bunch of background character info; the one with Asuka was pretty hosed up. Did her mother want to kill her, and then commit suicide? That is what I got from that part anyways. One thing the series did better was show how completely broken all of the characters are.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Asuka's mom was indeed intent on doing a murder-suicide; in the mainline manga adaptation, she even has a momentary burst of clarity... And attempts to strangle the real Asuka to death.

The same volume carried the "Kaworu kills a kitten" scene, too. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh yeah, also the part with what's her names mother trying to kill Rei when she was just a young child, was pretty screwed up as well. Was she murdered by Gendo Ikari before she could finish choking Rei to death? That scene seemed to imply that is what happened, but I feel like I missed something. Sorry I can't remember the names of some of these characters.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Ooh yeah, also the part with what's her names mother trying to kill Rei when she was just a young child, was pretty screwed up as well. Was she murdered by Gendo Ikari before she could finish choking Rei to death? That scene seemed to imply that is what happened, but I feel like I missed something. Sorry I can't remember the names of some of these characters.

Naoko killed Rei I in a fit of rage then committed suicide by jumping off the command tower when she realised what she did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zahki posted:

Naoko killed Rei I in a fit of rage then committed suicide by jumping off the command tower when she realised what she did.

Okay that makes sense now, for some reason I thought she was shot. Thinking about the scene now, I don't get how I could have possibly come to that conclusion.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Okay that makes sense now, for some reason I thought she was shot. Thinking about the scene now, I don't get how I could have possibly come to that conclusion.

It was her daughter, Ritsuko, who got shot by Gendo in End.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The other interpretation of Naoko's death is that Gendo manipulated Rei into pissing her off so she killed Rei and herself. But that's giving Gendo too much credit, as it were.

I think you can see why I asked about Mari and Rei earlier. The one seems more or less pointless and the other's had her characterisation dicked about with to the point where I'm not sure what's going on; in Rebuild 2 she's an unrecognisably different person to the series. I get that 2 uses the original series as shorthand for its characterisation, but I'm still confused.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the series. Don't forget to check out EoE, by the way, it's a must-see that carries the story on, not a retelling.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

House Louse posted:

I think you can see why I asked about Mari and Rei earlier. The one seems more or less pointless and the other's had her characterisation dicked about with to the point where I'm not sure what's going on; in Rebuild 2 she's an unrecognisably different person to the series. I get that 2 uses the original series as shorthand for its characterisation, but I'm still confused.
I think her characterisation there might have drawn on the manga version, where she's a bit more talkative, or at least gets more screen time. The manga does a much better job with Rei as a character than the series, and its version of Shinji is less prone to make people break out in seething rage over his supposed wussiness.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I finished watching 3.0, first impressions, not positive.

All the characters are just so awkward and the Wunder feels so out of place. Although Shiji is blatantly going to jack that poo poo and transform it into an Omni Eva-01, the hull is practically a spine, it has feathered wings, and its powered by/is Eva-01, etc

Even if I just watched it for the bombastic action scenes I just can't get into them because of how floaty/weightless the Eva's are now. Beast Mode is also super dumb and I hated it's return. Also it's now apparently an Asuka thing instead of a Mari thing, so what was the point in Mari even replacing Asuka to fight Zeruel? But hey, whatever, anything to do with Mari is automatically terrible. I just pretend it's Asuka in 2.0 anyway so I guess 3.0 helped in that regard.

Positives: Watching Kaoru finally lose his composure and not understand what's happening for once.

Negatives: Mari is still the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. Every second her/pink Eva are on screen I gag and cringe at the same time.

I just don't know, I'll sit on it a few days and watch it again.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 1, 2013

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Monomythian posted:

I finished watching 3.0, first impressions, not positive.

All the characters are just so awkward and the Wunder feels so out of place. Although Shiji is blatantly going to jack that poo poo and transform it into an Omni Eva-01, the hull is practically a spine, it has feathered wings, and its powered by/is Eva-01, etc

Even if I just watched it for the bombastic action scenes I just can't get into them because of how floaty/weightless the Eva's are now. Beast Mode is also super dumb and I hated it's return. Also it's now apparently an Asuka thing instead of a Mari thing, so what was the point in Mari even replacing Asuka to fight Zeruel? But hey, whatever, anything to do with Mari is automatically terrible. I just pretend it's Asuka in 2.0 anyway so I guess 3.0 helped in that regard.

Positives: Watching Kaoru finally lose his composure and not understand what's happening for once.

Negatives: Mari is still the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. Every second her/pink Eva are on screen I gag and cringe at the same time.

I just don't know, I'll sit on it a few days and watch it again.

Mari seems kind of pointless, but I don't know how she's ruining the series. If anything, she seems like a stand in for the typical "eva geek" to me - a representation of every stupid "I WOULD TOTALLY PILOT THE EVA AND TOTALLY ROCK AT IT AND I WOULD SEE THROUGH THE CONSPIRACYS" guy. I think they're just playing it too straight.

Beast mode is retarded, though. Berserk Evas are cool because it's the Eva itself manifesting its will; beast mode feels like something out of Transformers.

VVV Now that I think about it, basically this. But it's Eva, so it's all about trolling the fans or some poo poo. :v:

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 1, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Just sayin'

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

If only she was Mari Tsukinami. Maybe that would be too transparent though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

If only she was Mari Tsukinami. Maybe that would be too transparent though.
Was there a Tsukinami ship during WWII, though? Gotta stick with conventions, after all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wish I could back it up or justify it somehow but every time Mari is on screen I have the biggest, dumbest grin on my face. Everything about her is just inexplicably funny to me, which is important because there's not much comic relief in Rebuild apart from that.

The only cringeworthy thing is the scene where she sniffs Shinji and even that's so out of the blue and weird that the stupid fetishy side is kind of second fiddle.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wish I could back it up or justify it somehow but every time Mari is on screen I have the biggest, dumbest grin on my face. Everything about her is just inexplicably funny to me, which is important because there's not much comic relief in Rebuild apart from that.

The only cringeworthy thing is the scene where she sniffs Shinji and even that's so out of the blue and weird that the stupid fetishy side is kind of second fiddle.

She has been a nice foil to the other pilots. Piloting isn't ordered on her nor is her ego wrapped up in it in one form or another like the rest.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Asuka's mom was indeed intent on doing a murder-suicide; in the mainline manga adaptation, she even has a momentary burst of clarity... And attempts to strangle the real Asuka to death.

The same volume carried the "Kaworu kills a kitten" scene, too. :v:

Kaworu is a real freak in the manga. I can of course see his reasoning, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Really puts into perspective what "good" and "bad" are. His actions take into account the worse possible scenarios the creature could go through and he acts solely on that.

Terminal Entropy posted:

She has been a nice foil to the other pilots. Piloting isn't ordered on her nor is her ego wrapped up in it in one form or another like the rest.

I agree with this. Only problem with it is that without any specific weaknesses, she's pretty boring, if not ridiculous. Her whole schtick is being a wacky Japanese girl that sings and meows while she attacks. It takes a lot of the tension out of scenes, for better or worse. I think the only important things she's done... well, she beat the Flying Snake Angel, and she talked Shinji back into his senses at the end of 2.0. Her presence in 3.0 is pretty much solely to act as Asuka's counterpart in their strange Good Cop/Bad Cop reutine. It's alright, but it doesn't really add anything of substance to the mix, so that's why a lot of people have issues with her.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 1, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Kaworu is a real dick in the manga. I can of course see his reasoning, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Really puts into perspective what "good" and "bad" are.

Hell, that (in my mind) isn't the worst of it. During the scene with him in the hand of Unit-01 in the original series, he seems honestly apologetic that Shinji has to be the one to kill him; in the manga, he wants Shinji to kill him to serve as a final 'screw you' to SEELE, and has very little/no empathy towards the obvious trauma it'd be causing Shinji.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just finished rewatching 2.22, and something i didn't notice before. Why does the dummy plug violently scream and shake when it is rejected by EVA 01? :confused:

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

The dummy plugs are clones of Rei. The rejection makes her/it feel pain somehow, probably.

I should note that this is the clearly established origin of the dummy system in the television series (the dummy plugs in the MPEs are Kaworu-based) but I'm just assuming it's the same in Rebuild since there's nothing to call it into question.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:smugdog::smugdog:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really like her for the same reasons.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like Mari.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Mari could just continue being a fun smug carefree jerk who happens to pilot an EVA and I'd be fine with it. She's not much of a character anyway so I have no complaints in that regard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mari is just completely inexplicable. I hope they have something planned for her besides Maaya Sakamoto collecting a paycheck but at this point I have no idea what it could be considering they've got one movie left and she's apparently just been hanging out with Asuka and the crew without anyone finding her weird.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

she's apparently just been hanging out with Asuka and the crew without anyone finding her weird.

Yeah but look at how everyone else acts in the Eva universe. She is pretty normal in the grand scheme of things. :P

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Mari is just completely inexplicable. I hope they have something planned for her besides Maaya Sakamoto collecting a paycheck but at this point I have no idea what it could be considering they've got one movie left and she's apparently just been hanging out with Asuka and the crew without anyone finding her weird.

There was that picture of Yui with someone who looked like Mari in the frame that might be hinting at something. Precisely what, I have little idea, but it could be setup for something.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Joining the Mari crew. The best EVA pilots are the ones that chill out and have a juice box in the plug.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but look at how everyone else acts in the Eva universe. She is pretty normal in the grand scheme of things. :P

I mean more that nobody is like "who the gently caress are you?" They've all apparently known her for longer than anyone knew Shinji without any issues so if she's secretly going to eat people's faces or turn out to be a clone of Shinji's future child or whatever she's hiding it well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gaseous Snake posted:

Joining the Mari crew. The best EVA pilots are the ones that chill out and have a juice box in the plug.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing. I'm totally going to have to make an icon.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Wow, I never realized that she looked like a female Shinji.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Wow, I never realized that she looked like a female Shinji.

Haha, yeah, I thought so, too. I was going to say, maybe she really is a clone... Of Shinji. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Mari is just a non character nerdbait. I don't really like or dislike her.