Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

2.22 set Mari up as having her own agenda that's different from what NERV/SEELE are trying to accomplish, but 3.33 appears to have thrown away whatever character arc was planned for her and now she's just relegated to being fanservice or whatever. It's a shame I think, since I felt like they were setting her up for something really interesting with 2.22 given her dialogue, but I can only guess that it was all scrapped during the rewrite of 3.33 that ended up happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MUFFlNS posted:

2.22 set Mari up as having her own agenda that's different from what NERV/SEELE are trying to accomplish, but 3.33 appears to have thrown away whatever character arc was planned for her and now she's just relegated to being fanservice or whatever. It's a shame I think, since I felt like they were setting her up for something really interesting with 2.22 given her dialogue, but I can only guess that it was all scrapped during the rewrite of 3.33 that ended up happening.

I don't think we can safely say that it's been "thrown away". We mostly see Mari in a position where's she's sitting around, yeah? Biding her time, waiting for a good shot.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the group she may or may not have been working for met their end during the third impact from 2.22

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MUFFlNS posted:

There are a lot of things that Mari seems to inexplicably know about in 3, so I wouldn't really count her out just yet. I will say though, from her character so far I don't like her at all either. Depending on what they do in Final they can make Mari a kind of okay but still dumb character, or just dumb altogether.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Grimace posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing. I'm totally going to have to make an icon.

Do not buy a SmugMari emoticon please.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There's some evidence that Mari might be working for Gendo considering she knew about the external release switches on unit 13 when she had no reason to, the fact Kaji was there in the opening scene of 2.2 watching over her, and the fact that photograph and her comments to Rei suggest she knew Yui.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Kawrou is descendant of Adam as an Angel, can Mari be related to Lilith? Like she's something other than human?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Uh I thought all humans were descended from Lilith, that's why it's got a bunch of half formed people sticking out of it's torso (way to mangle Genesis guys, good lord).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mari Magdalene :dance:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Uh I thought all humans were descended from Lilith, that's why it's got a bunch of half formed people sticking out of it's torso (way to mangle Genesis guys, good lord).

Duh, *slaps forehead* Maybe I should change my train of thought and think like she's something like Eve or the wildcard, I dunno. I do think they'll address her in 4.0 though even in 2.22 she kind of felt out of place.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Captain Invictus posted:

Do not buy a SmugMari emoticon please.

I'm not going to buy it, but that doesn't mean I wasn't bored. I can't justify buying something worthless for the forums, unlike some people.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Somehow, I don't know why, this makes me think Gendo. Maybe because he's, like, the only other character with glasses. \

Plus the comment that she looks like Shinji. Comedy option: She's a clone of Gendo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Just to stir poo poo up some more, remember that when Mari opened communications with NERV HQ, it was voice-only. The Children and the rest of the NERV crew have met her since, but as far as we know, Gendo and Fuyutsuki have never seen her face. :v:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

Duh, *slaps forehead* Maybe I should change my train of thought and think like she's something like Eve or the wildcard, I dunno. I do think they'll address her in 4.0 though even in 2.22 she kind of felt out of place.

Eve? The woman that was formed from Adam? (And also happens to be the title of the show).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Eve? The woman that was formed from Adam? (And also happens to be the title of the show).

Ah nevermind. I'll be quiet now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Wow, I never realized that she looked like a female Shinji.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Haha, yeah, I thought so, too. I was going to say, maybe she really is a clone... Of Shinji. :aaaaa:
Oh poo poo Mari is the confident, experienced Shinji from another timeline... where Shinji was a girl instead!

I'll laugh if this is actually the case.

Regalingualius posted:

Hell, that (in my mind) isn't the worst of it. During the scene with him in the hand of Unit-01 in the original series, he seems honestly apologetic that Shinji has to be the one to kill him; in the manga, he wants Shinji to kill him to serve as a final 'screw you' to SEELE, and has very little/no empathy towards the obvious trauma it'd be causing Shinji.
Yeah Kaworu is more fleshed out but also more monstrous and less sympathetic in the manga. I understand the implication to be that he lacks the basic aversion to hurting other living things that most humans have, so by his logic it's easy for him to simply kill a cat that was going to starve to death anyway. Come to think of it, this parallels the Evas in many ways....

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Haha, yeah, I thought so, too. I was going to say, maybe she really is a clone... Of Shinji. :aaaaa:

She's the son Gendo wished he had.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm going to be mad if we end up being right and Mari is some Shinji clone or alternate timeline Shinji.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. So the Evangelion manga (y'know, the one that's been running for 18 years) finally ended.

Shinji takes control of Third Impact and resets the world. Everyone is now living happily in regular Tokyo. Shinji is there trying to get into a high school. He runs into Asuka and has a Cute Moment and Keisuke and has a friendship moment.

The last lines are Shinji talking to himself: "Yeah, I'll try my best. It's up to me to find the path I want to take. The way forward might not be straight, it might twist and turn. It might rain, and the wind might blow. But the sun will still shine on the road ahead. My future unfolds forever ahead of me."

The End. Happy Ending.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

(In response to manga spoilers.) Man I'm rooting for a happy ending in Rebuild but I cannot even imagine those words coming out of Shinji's mouth. Maybe it's less ridiculous in context but that reads like a parody.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. So the Evangelion manga (y'know, the one that's been running for 18 years) finally ended.

Shinji takes control of Third Impact and resets the world. Everyone is now living happily in regular Tokyo. Shinji is there trying to get into a high school. He runs into Asuka and has a Cute Moment and Keisuke and has a friendship moment.

The last lines are Shinji talking to himself: "Yeah, I'll try my best. It's up to me to find the path I want to take. The way forward might not be straight, it might twist and turn. It might rain, and the wind might blow. But the sun will still shine on the road ahead. My future unfolds forever ahead of me."

The End. Happy Ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIJKM0sjdo

That sounds soooooo dumb. Holy crap. Wrap it up with a nice fuckin' neat little bowtie on it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 2, 2013

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Well, he is the character designer, not the director of the series. Maybe this is how he felt the the original series should have ended? It sort of does feel like a cop out but that's just because it so "safe" compared to you know, EoE. I guess we can add this to the list of alternate universes now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know, but it's hiiiiilarious that the 18 year buildup is just zip-a-dee-doo-dah happy optimistic ending with, if that quote is accurate, perhaps the most trite, out of character comment possible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't even mean the premise itself, I just mean that I try to picture Shinji using flowery language like that and repeating his idea in other words to make sure you understand him and I start cracking up. It's the total opposite of Anno's very sparse and economic dialogue.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Megafunk posted:

Well, he is the character designer, not the director of the series. Maybe this is how he felt the the original series should have ended? It sort of does feel like a cop out but that's just because it so "safe" compared to you know, EoE. I guess we can add this to the list of alternate universes now.

Well making it safe and happy is ironic considering he made a bunch of other arguably more darker choices than the anime like Kaji's backstory, killing Toji off, having Kaworu kill a kitten, and giving Gendo an AT field while having Misato suicide via Grenade.

And keep in mind the 18 years involved cutting DOWN the number of Angels by like 4 or 5.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

:confused: I thought that scene in episode 26 was meant to be ironic?

I finally watched Rebuild 1 last night. Given how different 2 and 3 were, it seemed to be an unjustified and sometimes inferior retread. Most of the time all that seemed worth watching was the differences to the original. The Ramiel part was the best and most different, especially the Lilith scene. I was surprised to see the toothpick holder scene (because it was in 2 too) and there definitely seemed to be an emphasis on dehumanising the Evas: Unit-01 didn't shelter Shinji from the falling debris, and someone mentioned that they don't have AT-fields without the pilot (implying they're soulless), and Leliel wasn't in 2. Although what that means for Yui is anybody's guess.

During the scene where Shinji meets Unit-01 and Misato tells him he mustn't run away, the film and dialogue seemed to be moving far too quickly - people were just barking at each other without much empathy. I thought there was an error in the disc at first.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Well, huh. I'm impressed. I'm going to have to break out the volumes of the manga I own and have a little reread over the next few days. I'm honestly relieved at a happy ending from one of the creators, finally. Besides that, it definitely is a spirit booster after everything else in the manga. Kaworu killed a kitten! This upset me more than End of Evangelion.

Also, yeah, it's funny because I started with volumes 2 and 3 of the manga before I ran through the series. Still amazing that it took this long to finish the manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Grimace posted:

Kaworu killed a kitten! This upset me more than End of Evangelion.

That's very distressing.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(In response to manga spoilers.) Man I'm rooting for a happy ending in Rebuild but I cannot even imagine those words coming out of Shinji's mouth. Maybe it's less ridiculous in context but that reads like a parody.

You gotta remember that in the manga Shinji is a bit more assertive and confident than his anime-counterpart. I mean he beats the poo poo out of the entire EVA-series and tells Asuka that he saved her because he made a promise to Misato.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just read the last chapter. Hah! I've seen better and more realistic storytelling for a "Happy ending" from more terrible alternative Eva stories.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

House Louse posted:

...Unit-01 didn't shelter Shinji from the falling debris, and someone mentioned that they don't have AT-fields without the pilot (implying they're soulless)...
IIRC the Evas cannot manifest AT fields without pilots in the series either. They don't eject Shinji when Ramiel first blasts him because they believe that would shut down the AT field and vaporize him instantly.

Tae posted:

Just read the last chapter. Hah! I've seen better and more realistic storytelling for a "Happy ending" from more terrible alternative Eva stories.
Germany never forget

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The End. Happy Ending.

Did you read a translation or did you get a raw? I have had no luck finding a translated version of the final chapter anywhere.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The End. Happy Ending.

Wow this "Evangelion" sounds like a big ol RahXephon ripoff

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rahxephon anime, or Rahxephon manga? Because iirc the manga was reaaaaaaally hosed up. I've got it somewhere, I think that girl is fated to die, no matter what, on her sixteenth birthday and reincarnate forever, always somehow dying on her sixteenth birthday, and the main character rewrites things so they don't exist. Or are both dead but together forever. Or something like that. I think they wind up as a pair of songbirds.

It sounds pretty dumb, and the majority of the manga was rather hosed, but it wasn't as bad as my sparse memories make it sound. The anime was wayyyyy more happy go lucky in the long run.

Except for episode 19. gently caress.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Well, that did not feel like a total cop out at all, I guess it is consistent with the characterization so far but it certainly lacked depth. About the most interesting thing there is the fact that Rei is most likely gone forever and that they failed to meet again. And to think I've been reading this since before 2000. Oh well, at least another chunk of this franchise is over. :sigh:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

IIRC the Evas cannot manifest AT fields without pilots in the series either. They don't eject Shinji when Ramiel first blasts him because they believe that would shut down the AT field and vaporize him instantly.

I don't know either, although they can while berserk. The point is how they're having their personalities and humanity removed, obviously in 3.33 Unit-01 becomes a power supply. Which is interesting partly because the Evas are the most prominent powerful and effective female characters in the series, albeit still flawed, and in Rebuild, they're neither female nor characters. Elsewhere in Rebuild the new female character is at best a cipher and in 3.33 Rei is written out and Kaworu given a much expanded role, really cementing Rebuild's emphasis on the Shinji/Gendo axis of conflict rather than Shinji/Angels, Shinji/Eva, (and Shinji/himself is much reduced too). I suppose the obvious reading is Rebuild Shinji as present Anno and Rebuild Gendo as 1990s Anno, but the writing-out of so many women rankles.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I wouldn't count Rei out just yet.

Also 3.33 features Misato in a more prominent and plot-driving role than in the equivalent episodes in the series and Asuka has her full faculties instead of being a suicidal wreck.

The only character who seems totally absent is Yui and her story was complete after EoE, in my opinion.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I found this in this thread from last year and thought it summed up 3.33 pretty well.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't count Rei out just yet.

Also 3.33 features Misato in a more prominent and plot-driving role than in the equivalent episodes in the series and Asuka has her full faculties instead of being a suicidal wreck.

True, although Rei in 3 was written out of the film within a timeskip, and then replaced with another Reiclone who was even worse off than she was in the first film. I'm not counting her out - presumably 4 will redo EoE - but she definitely got the short straw. And Ritsuko's only appearance was a couple of scenes as Misato's right hand.

quote:

The only character who seems totally absent is Yui and her story was complete after EoE, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by implying that the other characters' stories weren't complete. Could you expand on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
The manga ending really is terrible. It just sorta ends in an anti-climatic cop out with so many questions unanswered, and with a sequence that seems fundamentally discontented from the message of the rest of the series. It straight up goes from: "Don't run away when you come across problems and hardships in life, because they aren't going to magically disappear." to the complete opposite: "Better living through free amnesia! It's like your problems and the dead people never existed in the first place!"

It feels like Shinji's last monologue is really just there to kinda, sorta make a token effort to tie the first message into the ending, but it doesn't seem to be supported by anything in the sequence.