Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I would have liked some more foreshadowing but at the same time I liked that it made it possible fory Daenerys to horribly gently caress up/get murdered/etc in a more interesting way then "Oh jeeze she'll pull it together and save the day in Westeros."

Ain't no law that says Dany has to return to Westeros. In fact, I think that might actually be interesting. Certainly will be a surprise after reading about Bran/Hodor getting down with the Reed girl. That's totally happening.

Chekov's Gun, meet Hodor's Massive Cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nutranurse posted:

I dunno why all of you are so bent out of shape; if GRRM kicks the bucket we can get a whole expanded universe for ASOIAF! :downs:

Wait Brian Herbert is GRRM's trueborn son?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
My theory is that Winds of Winter is gonna be the end of every single plotline and character arc that isn't the Others' invasion, Aegon, Stannis, and Daenerys' quests for the throne, the Stark children, Tyrion, and Azor Ahai, which is why it won't bother me if the book was 1500-1800 pages long.

False hope is a hell of a thing however.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Koirhor posted:

Wait Brian Herbert is GRRM's trueborn son?

No, silly, that's T.B. Thread.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

nutranurse posted:

No, silly, that's T.B. Thread.

That's his bastard son.

He won't remain baseborn for long, though. Queen Elizabeth recently announced her intention to legitimize him by royal decree, as reward for his superlative literary achievements.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Joramun posted:

Varys taking Kevan out of the game in favor of Aegon was actually pretty decent and effective as a climax (for the Crown- and Stormlands portion of the story, anyway) and cliffhanger (along with those in Victarion's and Jon's final chapters in the book). It was just one based in character motivations and allegiances; a social and political shakeup instead of a big action setpiece. It's not that different from the ending of ASOS (in particular Lysa and Tywin's murders), really.

I see what you're going for, and fundamentally, you are right; you still shouldn't have to make excuses for the GURM. He didn't deliver and none of that is anywhere nearly as impacting as anything in SOS. He pulled Aegon out of his rear end

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mind the walrus posted:

Fair enough, although Aegon V is still a poo poo plotline to introduce this late in the game as well.

I don't see how? I think it's an awesome gamechanger.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't think it was a bad twist, but it was really really weird to have him land in Westeros so fast.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't see how? I think it's an awesome gamechanger.

Seems very soap opera to me personally.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't think it was a bad twist, but it was really really weird to have him land in Westeros so fast.

I think it's more an effect of him being so pragmatic compared to everyone else in AFFC/ADWD besides maybe Victarion. AFFC/ADWD showed us that Westeros is essentially falling completely apart and the rulers that are left are basically inert and whatever thrones that are left are built on the festering and dying peasantry.

Having a character like Aegon show up and just start wrecking poo poo is arguably easy now that the whole Westerosi system is out of whack and kings are dying right and left. It seems awkward at first, but it makes sense. The only question is how far he'll get, though having the Golden Company behind him will do him well.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Koirhor posted:

Seems very soap opera to me personally.

Saying that something is like a soap opera means that there is melodrama for its own sake. There is some weirdness regarding the Aegon storyline, but it's not really melodramatic.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Oberst posted:

All that fucker had to do was write one loving climax in A Dance With poo poo, out of like 3 main story lines.

Didn't you read Dany's chapters? there were several climaxes in her chapters :smuggo:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Joramun posted:

Sothoros.

Jhalabar Xho is the Prince That Pissed Off.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

So either boredom or some sort of horrible misfire in my brain is making me consider actually getting up to date on this series. I still haven't read ADWD because I just haven't seen the point, but I'm thinking about trying the whole AFFC/ADWD combined approach with one of those chapter lists online. Anybody else who's tried that, did you find it a worthwhile experience? Although, I don't know if worthwhile is really the right word here.

I also considered getting up to date on the show, but I quit a couple episodes into season two and I don't think I can take all the Ros sideplots that happen in between then and now.

I am interested to see what happens if this thing ever gets any semblance of an ending. At this point I think I'd be fine with GRRM killing off most of the POV characters, I think the only ones left who I like at all are Davos and Jaime, sometimes Brienne when she's not wandering around in various ransacked villages.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The AFFC/ADWD combined read improves both books substantially.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I just watched the season finale and, well, that ended on a weirdly racist note. :v:

I don't know why I feel that way, but it's just so odd to see snow white Dany wander into a sea brown. Perhaps it is just foreshadowing of the highest degree!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
They are freaking out in the baby thread just because someone accidentally referred to the White Walkers as Others like it's a major spoiler.

:edited to be more concise

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 12, 2013

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I really hope that by the end of the series, someone is killed and eaten by snarks and/or grumpkins.

Also ice spiders.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We'll get Snarks and Grumpkins when we see Rickon's POV on Skagos :v:

Also Ice Spiders.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

As long as grumpkins look like the Troll 2 goblins.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sorry I'm not a bitter unfunny bitter burnout capable of posting only Daenerys scat memes. Seriously, it seems like 90% of the people in this thread hate the books and are angry that they aren't being published faster and this is a dichotomy I just can't fathom.

You do know that one can love the books* yet hate the author.

*the first 3

mind the walrus posted:

Fair enough, although Aegon V is still a poo poo plotline to introduce this late in the game as well.

It is only poo poo if the mistress of poo poo Dany isn't killed off in the first chapter of WoW

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 12, 2013

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Regarding the whole Gaiman "GRRM is not your bitch" thing, I don't believe GRRM owes me anything. However, I also feel like with all the dumb poo poo he does, I am perfectly justified to make fun of him and how bad he fucks up everything related to ASoIaF. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it's not like I sit around all day getting real angry at GRRM and if TWoW is never released, the lack of closure will not affect my life in any meaningful way. It's just yelling about him here and all the stupid insults and jokes in this thread are infinitely more interesting and entertaining than just sitting patiently and quietly waiting for him to not write.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

Regarding the whole Gaiman "GRRM is not your bitch" thing, I don't believe GRRM owes me anything. However, I also feel like with all the dumb poo poo he does, I am perfectly justified to make fun of him and how bad he fucks up everything related to ASoIaF. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it's not like I sit around all day getting real angry at GRRM and if TWoW is never released, the lack of closure will not affect my life in any meaningful way. It's just yelling about him here and all the stupid insults and jokes in this thread are infinitely more interesting and entertaining than just sitting patiently and quietly waiting for him to not write.

So you think we're more balanced human beings than the illiterates? You don't say...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oberst posted:

So you think we're more balanced human beings than the illiterates? You don't say...

Silence you filthy book reader!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurain posted:

Cleganebowl, get hype.

I wish I could draw. I would DeviantArt the gently caress out of that.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

George R R Martin is not your bitch. and I can thoroughly enjoy what he's made while understanding fully that it's his right to just say "gently caress all of you" and stop writing if he wants to. I'm astounded how loving whiney this thread is.

2/10 Trolling Score, since I'm pretty sure someone will write out some long assed justification.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

AFFC is a pretty good book aside from myrish swamp and fat pink mast.

The myrish swamp, Darkstar, and "Fire and Blood" are like, the only good parts of AFFC, no idea what you are talking about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kcroy posted:

2/10 Trolling Score, since I'm pretty sure someone will write out some long assed justification.

Too late, although to be fair someone definitely has to.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

I also considered getting up to date on the show, but I quit a couple episodes into season two and I don't think I can take all the Ros sideplots that happen in between then and now.

Well Ros dies horribly*, so there's that

(offscreen, just like everything cool besides Robb Dies)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'll be honest: The GRRM hatred here sustains me. It's like an everlasting pigeon pie belching out, forever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

4/10 Lampreys, would bake into a Frey Pie.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Too late, although to be fair someone definitely has to.

nope, the more anger and slander directed at this thread the better. hate this place. go away and don't come back. or try not to. Because everyone comes back.

You aren't angry now - you love the GRRM, and we understand. Papa GRRM has taken you out for icecreams, and pretty balloons, and bought you a new pony. You just see this thread as mean smelly ungrateful kids, shuffling about, refusing to do their chores.

He hasn't touched your no no place yet, and whispered how special you are. Whispered tales of far off lands, of ice princes and fire queens, and you just want more. Tomorrow he says, but tomorrow never comes. Just more new kids, talking about how great Papa GRRM is - of the wonderful tales he tells. yes, yes, you say, but what about the next one, the next tale? What happened to Brenden? Who is Jon's real mother? Will Tyrion do more backflips? Is Nymeria ok? I named my own puppy after her... I hope she is ok!

But today - today is different, Today he walks in.. A NEW TALE! GATHER ROUND! and ... tells you BAD tales - tales about space princes who rape people with their minds. You are confused. What about the ice prince, pappa GRRM?

Tomorrow little ones, TOMORROW! Pehaps instead, you would like to buy some water logged calendars from last year.. the Ice Prince is in those!

ok, you think, and buy one - after all Pappa GRRM has told you wonderful tales. You want to make him happy, and get another story.

So you buy your calendar that you can't use because it is from last year... and wait again for tomorrow. But tomorrow never seems to come. days pass, and more new children show up - each so excited, so much hope written on their little faces. so many raw canvases just waiting for the paint of pain and disappointment.

Years of "Tomorrows" and Pappa GRRM doesn't even want to hear from you anymore.

Quit bugging me! You'll get it when you get it! You insolent little poo poo! I don't owe you anything! Why won't you read this Vampyre Comic Book I wrote! Have you heard of Jack Vance? Let me tell you about this years Super Bowl!

So you crawl away into the shadows, to sit with the other ones, the cold and lonely ones. They hate the GRRM, yet they love him, need him. They crawl to the bad place, to the bad thread. To wait, for the story that never comes.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 12, 2013

Oberst
May 24, 2010

A pigeon stuffed, lamprey pie, filled with the finest neeps and leeks imported from the Reach. The red wine sat thickly in his goblet, as the GURM eyed the glazed capones roasting on the spit; the crackling of the fire the only sound in the darkened, smoke filled room. He reached for his goblet with sticky, sausage-like fingers, quickly guzzling the contents as red flowed onto his pube beard. Belching loudly, the GURM turned to his MS-DOS, as Wordstar loaded onto the antiquated screen. "Nipples on a breast plate," GURM mumbled to no one, his mind drifting to other times long past. A face in the flames, gazing back at him. Syrio....what would Syrio say to the God of Writing? "Not today," the GURM wheezed as he allowed his great mass to sink into his chair, "not today...." The fire crackled

Oberst fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2013

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Almost at 666 you shitdicks. One of you better have a new OP ready because this poo poo better stay at 666 loving pages.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

So, as someone who marathoned the series all at once, you have no idea what you're talking about and should stay out of this thread until you've waited for six years between books multiple times.

Haha. Good job proving that article's point you crackbrained twit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Haha. Good job proving that article's point you crackbrained twit.

We've seen better than the likes of you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

We've seen better than the likes of you.

I didn't realise I was taking part in a contest.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oberst posted:

A pigeon stuffed, lamprey pie, filled with the finest neeps and leeks imported from the Reach. The red wine sat thickly in his goblet, as the GURM eyed the glazed capones roasting on the spit; the crackling of the fire the only sound in the darkened, smoke filled room. He reached for his goblet with sticky, sausage-like fingers, quickly guzzling the contents as red flowed onto his pube beard. Belching loudly, the GURM turned to his MS-DOS, as Wordstar loaded onto the antiquated screen. "Nipples on a breast plate," GURM mumbled to no one, his mind drifting to other times long past. A face in the flames, gazing back at him. Syrio....what would Syrio say to the God of Writing? "Not today," the GURM wheezed as he allowed his great mass to sink into his chair, "not today...." The fire crackled

Yes but how was the fire crackling? And was anyone aroused?

This is rubbish and you ought to know better.

Edit: I'm pretty sure fires can't crackle moistly but where there is a will there is a way and I will see this happen.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Doing my part to reach page 667.

WILD CARDS

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Oberst posted:

Nothing is slathered although I am entertained at the visual of glazed capones.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Doing my part to reach page 667.

WILD CARDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Contra Calculus posted:

Almost at 666 you shitdicks. One of you better have a new OP ready because this poo poo better stay at 666 loving pages.

You're adorable, thinking that this thread is going to end on an appropriate note.