Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Smoking Crow posted:

I liked the rest of the ending, it's just my blood pressure spike when Asuka said that she was Shinji's best childhood friend. It just seemed so...anime, you know?
That part was intentionally as cliche as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I still can't help but but read TV 25/26 as "Congratulations you are happy. Understood? YOU ARE HAPPY."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't think that I would like an action ending to the series, though. It was so not about Gendo's stupid plot that anything with the Angels and SEELE would just destroy the show for me.

Well, it's not more of an action film than it's an action series. And it doesn't have any childhood friends in it.

Tae posted:

Gunbuster was done black-and-white on purpose (One animator I talked to said the way Gainax did the last episode was more expensive than what they did in the previous ones).

This is from Anno's mouth, it's in the big quotes page in the OP.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I liked the rest of the ending, it's just my blood pressure spike when Asuka said that she was Shinji's best childhood friend. It just seemed so...anime, you know?

Like someone already mentioned it was supposed to be stupidly cliche. One thing you have to know about Eva is that it is Anno's way of criticizing the anime industry, as well as its shameful fanbase. The show was supposed to seem like a cookie-cutter action mecha show on purpose so that when he actually came around to show us how shameful a person Shinji actually is it would surprise the audience since he's supposed to be the hero figure. Of course, this pissed of pretty much everyone, including Gainax to some extent, even to the point were someone ever wrote death threats against on the Gainax building, not to mention all the hate mail he probably got. If you haven't watched EoE, it is Anno's direct response to the actions of the fanbase that freaked out. Supposedly, it even has some images of the death threats in its live-action segment.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

No, the EoE death threats were from people pissed that they sat through that shitshow that was Death and Rebirth only to get cockblocked by it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh? I always thought the threats were in response to the end of the series.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Oh? I always thought the threats were in response to the end of the series.

What little of the translations of the letters I read on EvaGeeks are actually supportive of Gainax.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

What little of the translations of the letters I read on EvaGeeks are actually supportive of Gainax.

Which is ironic since Gainax was up to some sketchy financial shenanigans at the time weren't they?

I realize that the anger was mostly directed at Anno, but I thought it was because of the last 2 original episodes of the series which were 50% text and were all about Shinji coming to terms with his shamefulness and getting over it.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

Money issues, they also ran out of time and also tossed away completed work.

I didn't realize the Xenogears directors ripped that off of Eva too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ViggyNash posted:

Like someone already mentioned it was supposed to be stupidly cliche. One thing you have to know about Eva is that it is Anno's way of criticizing the anime industry, as well as its shameful fanbase. The show was supposed to seem like a cookie-cutter action mecha show on purpose so that when he actually came around to show us how shameful a person Shinji actually is it would surprise the audience since he's supposed to be the hero figure. Of course, this pissed of pretty much everyone, including Gainax to some extent, even to the point were someone ever wrote death threats against on the Gainax building, not to mention all the hate mail he probably got. If you haven't watched EoE, it is Anno's direct response to the actions of the fanbase that freaked out. Supposedly, it even has some images of the death threats in its live-action segment.

Wait, so that was on purpose? I thought that EVA had some weird out of place fan service, but I didn't think it went that far. In that case, this is the best calculated gently caress You in anime history. Awesome :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, so that was on purpose? I thought that EVA had some weird out of place fan service, but I didn't think it went that far. In that case, this is the best calculated gently caress You in anime history. Awesome :allears:

Unfortunately, by using fan service and anime tropes to criticize itself, it also created what the producer (I think he was the producer, someone linked an interview he did several pages ago about Eva) called the "Curse of Eva". Basically, Eva was the origin of the cookie-cutter sexualized teens fan service show. At least, that's how I understood it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I just finished watching this show for the first time. I have never been so enraged by a TV show than when they play the it was all a dream in the last episode. Even if baloney pony is awesome.

I would watch the wacky high school antics version of Eva in a heartbeat

The Petit Eva manga is pretty cool, and so is Angelic Days. It's about as close to wacky high school antics as you'll get with EVA.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Smoking Crow posted:

The sequence in question is supposed to be a joke; it's an obvious dig at anime at the time. The rest of his post in relation to the series as a whole is bullshit, but it's Eva; interpret it however makes you happy.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah it's a bit farfetched to believe a series that ended every next episode teaser with "Don't worry there'll be a lot more fanservice too! :iamafag:" is meant to be a biting criticism of anime tropes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zahki posted:

Yeah it's a bit farfetched to believe a series that ended every next episode teaser with "Don't worry there'll be a lot more fanservice too! :iamafag:" is meant to be a biting criticism of anime tropes.

I've already explained this twice (it is a criticism of anime tropes, just not the ones that you and I want it to be), but last time started a really creepy derail so I'll just point to my post history. :effort:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 23, 2013

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Zahki posted:

I sure am waiting for that fanservice in Rebuild 4.44 :rolleyes:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Wondering if 4 would end with a "next time time on" and "more fan service" just for the hell of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zahki posted:

I think those promises might be just a tad sardonic.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Terminal Entropy posted:

Wondering if 4 would end with a "next time time on" and "more fan service" just for the hell of it.

It should end with a "next episode" preview made from footage from the first episode of the tv series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

It should end with a "next episode" preview made from footage from the first episode of the tv series.

Evangelion is actually an endless loop of Shinji's shame.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Shazaminator posted:

Instead of a trailer it should just be five minutes of Kaworu's head exploding, set to the Anvil Chorus.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A trailer for Trigger's project.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eva 4.0 should just be 5 minutes of the characters technobabbling then Anno walks into the frame, turns around, drops trou and moons the camera for the rest of the film.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Next time on Neon Genesis Evangelion: *still image of anno diving into swimming pool full of money*

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Next time on Neon Genesis Evangelion: *still image of anno diving into swimming pool full of money*

Next frame: Anno relaxing in a bathtub filled with money and made with paper mache using yen bills.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally just a tracing of the Ducktales movie except Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby are Asuka, Rei, Shinji and Mari, Launchpad is Misato, and of course Scrooge is Gendo.

Kaworu is Genie.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Shazaminator posted:

Oh, the preview's already out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqcvpfbKOz4

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

This is a thing of beauty. I hope every single frame of that ends up in the movie. Evangelion4.4: You can (not) play Derby Stallion

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Episode 4 deals with preventing Horse Impact. :horse:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Where did that footage of Horse Unit-01 come from? That just made my day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Robert Denby posted:

Where did that footage of Horse Unit-01 come from? That just made my day.

It's not the real preview but it is a real Gainax production. Some kind of advertising collaboration with a horse-racing company, if the comments are to be believed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shinji finally gets to run away.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I thought it was a remix of Evangelion with the best Gundam series, G-Gundam.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is it ever explained why giant robots have to be piloted by incredibly broken 14 year olds?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Something to do with being born after the 2nd Impact or their mother's souls inside the Eva units. Shinji's mom being that blue flame/aura thing you see throughout the series and in the opening.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wait, how does that work? Rei doesn't have a mom. Unless the EVA is her mom :tinfoil:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, how does that work? Rei doesn't have a mom. Unless the EVA is her mom :tinfoil:

Rei is a clone of Shinji's mom and uh I guess that should clear everything up? I have no idea to be honest but I think its basically just that. Maybe 4.44 will clarify more on this but I doubt it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Is it ever explained why giant robots have to be piloted by incredibly broken 14 year olds?

There's some mumbling about it and there's reasons why specific pilots can pilot specific EVA, but really this is just one of those things you need to roll with to get the most out of the show.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wait, that means that Shinji groped his mom. :barf: Anno's loving nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, that means that Shinji groped his mom. :barf: Anno's loving nasty.

A clone of his mom, not his actual mom. But if you want to think of it that way then sure I guess. Also being a clone of Shinji's mom is why Rei develops feeling for Shinji I believe in the show and the movies.