Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Jeremy Irons pulling that voice was the second worst part about The Colour of Magic.

The first was that Rincewind was in his 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Rincewind's not supposed to be a young man.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

He's written like one though, which is a problem. I don't think it's a coincidence that after Rincewind's story ended, the position of 'outsider Wizard' gets filled by Ponder Stibbons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Roboto posted:

He's right...the TV adaptations are of a low quality they have no right to be. British humor is world renown yet the specials constantly missed the mark in dialogue, acting, and timing. They're...boring and not funny.

It's actually pretty inexplicable how poorly adapted they were; the material is ALREADY there. The jokes are there. The stories are there. You just need a good director who understands the combo of comedy and fantasy. You don't need great FX to pull off great humor, see Blackadder or Red Dwarf.

The only thing I must assume is that the staff were fans of Pratchett. See, the problem with being a fan is that it doesn't grant you the ability to duplicate the source material's quality. If that were the case, fanfiction would supercede the original material. Their directing and humor-timing skills weren't up to the job.

I think it's just not writing that translates very well to filmed drama.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Guilty posted:

Rincewind is supposed to be 33 in The Colour of Magic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jedit posted:

Rincewind is supposed to be 33 in The Colour of Magic.

Really? I thought he was supposed to be like in his 50's or so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Guilty posted:

When Rincewind and Twoflower are on the aeroplane as Dr Rjinswand and Jack Zweiblumen, his age is given as 33.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
None of the TV adaptations have managed to make Death look right. A walking skeleton sounds scary on paper but on TV it always just ends up looking like some oversized Ray Harryhausen silliness. The Colour Of Magic in particular had a Death that looked like a cheap plastic Halloween prop from the dollar store.

I think the one I enjoyed most overall was Hogfather. Susan was pitch-perfect.

Pope Guilty posted:

Probably because that's how he was illustrated on a bunch of the original covers. And because people generally think of Wizards as old and wizened.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the illustrations are definitely a contributing factor. I always pictured him as looking like a burnout college student though which is kind of what he is really.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Josh Kirby had a lovely style, but he was notorious for drawing things wildly different to how they were described in the book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I also thought Rincewind was supposed to be old until one of the mid-later books makes some offhanded mention that he's quite young (he is, after all, just a student at UU, not a full-fledged wizzard).

Also Mr. Teatime and Susan make Hogfather worth watching all by themselves. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Entropic posted:

Josh Kirby had a lovely style, but he was notorious for drawing things wildly different to how they were described in the book.

Like giving four eyes to Twoflower.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

precision posted:

Yeah, I also thought Rincewind was supposed to be old until one of the mid-later books makes some offhanded mention that he's quite young (he is, after all, just a student at UU, not a full-fledged wizzard).

He's a student because he's been around forever because he can't pass the exams because he just has the one big spell in his head and no room for any others.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tunicate posted:

Like giving four eyes to Twoflower.

I bet Terry Pratchett raised his eyebrows when he first saw that. Both at once!

The old covers are neat, but I really like the new ones a lot better. Except the boring ones with instead official art a couple of related objects in a dark room bleh. At least the old covers had life.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I only collect the old ones with the weird covers, they're ridiculous and they make my bookshelf more interesting to look at.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least the old covers had life.

A horrible dark form of life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

A horrible dark form of life.

I quite liked how he drew the Luggage, and some of them were quite neat:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Guilty posted:

He's not OLD, though. He's frequently described as built like an incredibly skinny runner, which fits since he's running incredibly all the time. Whoever they got for Color of Magic is more like Ridcully.

As others have said, he was 33 or so in Color of Magic. If about 20-30 years have passed since that time, that would put Rincewind in his 50s/early 60s at latest by the current books.

The Last Hero pretty much nails his look of a scrawny 45 year old.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mister Roboto posted:

He's not OLD, though. He's frequently described as built like an incredibly skinny runner, which fits since he's running incredibly all the time. Whoever they got for Color of Magic is more like Ridcully.

As others have said, he was 33 or so in Color of Magic. If about 20-30 years have passed since that time, that would put Rincewind in his 50s/early 60s at latest by the current books.

The Last Hero pretty much nails his look of a scrawny 45 year old.

I judge the time passing in the books by checking the current age of Young Sam and then totting a few years on top of that. So I think saying 20 years has passed is scratching the ceiling of how far things have come, and 30 just seems way, way too far.

And yeah, while I have a soft spot for the TV adaptations as regards the characters looks (excluding David Jason as Rincewind) and general production value, you only have to listen to the radio plays to find out how little of the charm and comedy made it through. The radio plays are really, really good. Go give Guards! Guards!, Small Gods or Night Watch a listen. You'll boggle.

Compare that to, say, the tv adaptation Colour of Magic, where assumedly there was a big fight in the sound editing room whenever they were trying to decide whether or not to bleep the "All Gods are bastards!" line. Result: They delayed the swear by a half-second, bleeped, and then aired it anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I half blame SKY and half blame David Jason for that terrible adaption.

Weird really, aside from a few things I thought Hogfather was at least a good start.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really don't want CSI: Ankh-Morpork to suck. :(

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

precision posted:

(he is, after all, just a student at UU, not a full-fledged wizzard).

Not since Interesting Times he isn't. That's how they got him to go to the counterweight continent, by bribing him with a degree. He's the Egregious Professor Of Cruel And Unusual Geography. Plus about a dozen other job titles.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 25, 2013

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I like that in the Science of Discworld books he's basically gone from a cold office, to working in his underwear, to working in the corridor, to working a few corridors away from his office just from the amount of coal he has to burn to be able to keep a hold of it in the winter.

And that Ponder Stibbons has the exact same problems, somewhere in the university.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I've always pictured Rincewind as The Dude. And if you see anyone else you're doing it wrong.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nilbop posted:

I judge the time passing in the books by checking the current age of Young Sam and then totting a few years on top of that. So I think saying 20 years has passed is scratching the ceiling of how far things have come, and 30 just seems way, way too far.

Well, when Vimes first appeared, it was a few years after CoM. Let's say 5. That gives it time to rebuild after Rincewind's CoM fire and the Wizard wars in Sourcery.

A good rule of thumb about the Watch books is that they take place about 2 years apart. Some shorter, some way longer.

So there's been about 8 watch books...that'd be about 16 years. Night Watch (Sam's birth) to Snuff would be about 6 years. That sounds accurate for Sam's age.

So about 16 years since Guards! Guards! That plus the amount of time from CoM to GG is probably about 5-6 years at least. The first novels have very little connections other than Rincewind running around the world and have time to get forgotten periodically.

22-24 years from the start til now seems reasonable. Any other inconsistencies are the Time Monks cutting and pasting.

Here's what the heroes looked like in Last Hero:

It's probably about 6 or so years since it took place around about the time of Night Watch. Probably just before.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 25, 2013

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Pidmon posted:

Jeremy Irons pulling that voice was the second worst part about The Colour of Magic.

The first was that Rincewind was in his 70s.

It's really sad Irons is doing that voice, because looks wise, he's a perfect Vetinari. Had he tried subtly sinister, he had been magnificent.

What I really like about the movie adaptions, is the sets. They really nail Ankh Morpork.
I hope the Watch series is still a-go, because that could be fantastic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nilbop posted:

And yeah, while I have a soft spot for the TV adaptations as regards the characters looks (excluding David Jason as Rincewind) and general production value, you only have to listen to the radio plays to find out how little of the charm and comedy made it through. The radio plays are really, really good. Go give Guards! Guards!, Small Gods or Night Watch a listen. You'll boggle.
Yeah, seconding this Guards! Guards! and Small Gods were really good.

And all the Stephen Briggs audio books are fantastic.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

I've always pictured Rincewind as The Dude. And if you see anyone else you're doing it wrong.

I first saw Life of Brian the week after I finished Sourcery, and then that was it, it was done, Rincewind was Graham Chapman forever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Illuyankas posted:

I first saw Life of Brian the week after I finished Sourcery, and then that was it, it was done, Rincewind was Graham Chapman forever.

I feel he's more of a Michael Palin type myself.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
For me it was when I first saw Mad Max 2 - I thought the gyrocopter pilot was the perfect Rincewind.

As a side note god drat was that loving movie rapey as gently caress.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

precision posted:

You can pretty much use all the Pythons for Rincewind. It is kind of eerie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Who would be the perfect Vimes? Pete Postlewaith has unfortunatly passed on, so we can't use him.

Hugh Laurie using House mannerisms?

Robert Downey Junior? (actually scratch that).

Jerome Flynn with a shave?

Iain Glen?

EDIT: Sean loving Bean

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 26, 2013

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

precision posted:

SeanBeansShako posted:

You can pretty much use all the Pythons for Rincewind. It is kind of eerie.

Eric Idle has already been Rincewind, he did a bang up job too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who would be the perfect Vimes?

Hugh Laurie using House mannerisms?

Ahahaha this would be The Best.

Google tells me there is an entire Facebook group petitioning for it to happen. :haw:

I thought The Watch was supposed to start later this year? Casting and shooting started earlier this year...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Matt Frewer looks like my impression of Vimes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

precision posted:

Ahahaha this would be The Best.

Google tells me there is an entire Facebook group petitioning for it to happen. :haw:

I thought The Watch was supposed to start later this year? Casting and shooting started earlier this year...

Holy crap, I was just spitballing. Good to know everyone feels the same.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007
I just finished Snuff, and so am out of City Watch books. What other subseries are good? I've only read stuff from City Watch so far.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Witches is the other longest subseries. There are like 6 or 7 normal ones and then 4 "young adult" ones that aren't that different from the regular ones really. Small Gods is pretty standalone and definitely worth a read

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Ghetto Wizard posted:

I just finished Snuff, and so am out of City Watch books. What other subseries are good? I've only read stuff from City Watch so far.

The wizard books are my favourite set after the Watch. Small Gods is also utterly fantastic, probably one of his best books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ghetto Wizard posted:

The Witches are pretty good. Self-contained issues.

The Wizards/Rincewind are a different style, they're more "wacky adventure" type stories. I don't like them as much but, of course, they're still good.