Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, that means that Shinji groped his mom. :barf: Anno's loving nasty.

Yeah the whole Oedipal complex is kind of a big factor in Shinji's character. Misato helps along the way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, how does that work? Rei doesn't have a mom. Unless the EVA is her mom :tinfoil:

No one knows what the deal is with rei and unit 0. I believe the predominant theories are "an extra clone" or Ritsuko's mom.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
The most substantial theory I have heard is that Unit-00 contains a fragment of Rei/Lilith's soul.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, that means that Shinji groped his mom. :barf: Anno's loving nasty.

That's not even close to how hosed up the sequence where he's trapped inside Unit 01 after killing Zeruel in the manga. :suicide:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Whenever Unit 00 tried to "talk" to Rei, it's usually a really large eyed, younger version of Rei, kinda like the one that Ritsuko's mom strangled to death. So there's like, some fragment of Rei's original or something in there.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Yeah, and at one point during Ep 23 she says something about "the me inside the Eva." Also supposedly the reason Unit 00 went berserk wasn't because it was attacking Gendo, but because it though Ritsuko was Naoko and was attacking its murderer. Have some Evageeks

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Attacking Gendo makes sense too. If I found out that I was a freaky homunculus made out of some dude's dead wife, I'd be pretty cheesed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't think that it necessarily has to be the mothers, but just someone compatible with them. In episode 15 Shinji and Rei test each other's Evangelions. Unit 01 is fine with Rei, but 00 goes berserk when Shinji tries to use it. Then again, it might just be because Rei has angel powers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This question is answered in the very first episode. "There's reasons, and no, we aren't going to tell you. gently caress you. Get in the robot."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I thought that was just Gendo being awesome, like he is in every episode.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Yeah, and at one point during Ep 23 she says something about "the me inside the Eva." Also supposedly the reason Unit 00 went berserk wasn't because it was attacking Gendo, but because it though Ritsuko was Naoko and was attacking its murderer. Have some Evageeks

That is super interesting.
Wow, I never even thought about it that way. The only one I knew about was Naoko's soul attacking Gendo for the old hag comments.

jbitt
Dec 22, 2009

sencerly,
Watched all of the reboots on a train drunk as hell last week. All I have to say is everything changed, except for Shinji being the worst.

I thought the 3rd one was gonna have a kick in the balls ending, but it didn't and for that I am sad.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I watched the three Rebuild movies in one go with some friends. We made a drinking game out of "Rei staring blankly into space" and "Gendo pose". I vetoed "Shinji fails".
Needless to say, the 3rd one was confusing as hell for me. I spent the entirety of the movie somewhere between :confused: and :stonk: ... Also, the constant red background was kinda hard to look at. And the finale was basically a frantic mess of spaceship tentacles, a 12th angel out of nowhere, giant Rei/Lilith (?) head and RED. Maybe it'll make more sense next time... But I kinda doubt it. I still don't know what the hell attacked the magic spacewhale ship, even after looking it up. Apparently, it's an EVA of some sort...? Hm.

Also, I missed Kaji. Don't you dare die inbetween movies!

EDIT: Eeeeeh, spoilering that.

Torquemadras fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 25, 2013

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Maybe it'll make more sense next time...

I've watched it three times so far and the last 30 minutes still don't make sense. The best thing about 3.0 to me is the music and overall audio atmosphere.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

I watched the three Rebuild movies in one go with some friends. We made a drinking game out of "Rei staring blankly into space" and "Gendo pose". I vetoed "Shinji fails".
Needless to say, the 3rd one was confusing as hell for me. I spent the entirety of the movie somewhere between :confused: and :stonk: ... Also, the constant red background was kinda hard to look at. And the finale was basically a frantic mess of spaceship tentacles, a 12th angel out of nowhere, giant Rei/Lilith (?) head and RED. Maybe it'll make more sense next time... But I kinda doubt it. I still don't know what the hell attacked the magic spacewhale ship, even after looking it up. Apparently, it's an EVA of some sort...? Hm.

Also, I missed Kaji. Don't you dare die inbetween movies!

EDIT: Eeeeeh, spoilering that.

Given that Shinji (maybe? The actual sequence of events is quite muddled, and it seems a lot of things happened after Kaworu got Shinji with the spear) caused a near third impact, you'd have to take one HELL of a drink if Shinji fails was in the rules. You'd be completely smashed as soon as you finished the second movie.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Slime posted:

Given that Shinji (maybe? The actual sequence of events is quite muddled, and it seems a lot of things happened after Kaworu got Shinji with the spear) caused a near third impact, you'd have to take one HELL of a drink if Shinji fails was in the rules. You'd be completely smashed as soon as you finished the second movie.

Good thing I vetoed that. Didn't stop Rei from staring into nothing all the loving time, though. And at some point, we started arguing that Gendo probably doesn't leave the Gendo pose offscreen, so technically, when we see him next time in a Gendo pose immediately, it's the same pose and we don't have to drink :pseudo:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Does Gendo actually do the pose in 3.0? I only remember him standing in high places looking down at Shinji or up at Seele.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Does Gendo actually do the pose in 3.0? I only remember him standing in high places looking down at Shinji or up at Seele.

Should have just been 'Gendo onscreen'

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I never caught the 1 second shot of HOSRE SELEE. loving perfect.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
These rebuild movies feel kind of like schlock that exist solely as a cash-in, this feels almost like parody. 3.3 Actually feels like straight up fanfiction. The setting and everything is so over the top and the narrative doesn't make sense outside of a remix/rehash of eva. This is like the anime equivalent of the star wars prequels, its just a bunch of visual cues to throw a bone to fans, and ridiculous roller coaster visuals to make up for lack of writing. This feels like a ridiculous spectacle devoid of substance.

Is Anno trying to destroy Eva like some kind of anime Nietzsche?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Would it be so surprising if he was?

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005

DerLeo posted:

Would it be so surprising if he was?

Nope. It feels like he just doesn't care outside of making a spectacle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zewle posted:

No, that was the purpose of the first Evangelion. :haw:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zewle posted:

These rebuild movies feel kind of like schlock that exist solely as a cash-in, this feels almost like parody. 3.3 Actually feels like straight up fanfiction. The setting and everything is so over the top and the narrative doesn't make sense outside of a remix/rehash of eva. This is like the anime equivalent of the star wars prequels, its just a bunch of visual cues to throw a bone to fans, and ridiculous roller coaster visuals to make up for lack of writing. This feels like a ridiculous spectacle devoid of substance.

What kind of cash-in costs tens of millions to produce?

Ok, maybe it is a cash in. But it's a drat gorgeous and fantastically directed one.

As for fanfiction... there is evidence to suggest that Rebuild is in fact a continuation, rather than just a "rebuild", of the series. There isn't definitive proof yet, but that's why we're all waiting for 4.0. Anno is going somewhere this time around by the looks of it (as opposed to making the world's most expensive middle finger), so it's absolutely worth the watch. As far as the writing goes, the story itself is very simple. The real charm of Eva is mystery of the world around this story. The story itself revolves around Shinji, but the world around him is far more interesting.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Zewle posted:

Anno has already destroyed anime, and Haruhi Suzumiya inherited the earth. Do you really want him to do it again?

I think you you read this thread's 3 discussion, especially TuxedoCatfish and Riddle of Feel's posts - people have said some really interesting, insightful, and provocative things. Sometimes it is a ridiculous spectacle, but it's hardly devoid of content.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The first rebuild movie is going to be screened at a local theater here next month. I'm thinking of going since it would be cool to watch it in an actual theater and not on my TV.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Zewle posted:

I don't agree about 1.11/2.22, which I thought were pretty good and just divergent enough to stay true with the source's material while still making you wonder what was coming next. This is pretty much how I felt about 3.33 as soon as the fakey Wunder bootup sequence hit the screen. It's only cemented in my mind after seeing the weightless EVAs doing video game cutscene swordfighting in the 4.44 preview, although I'm under no illusions this will make it into the final product, cause, duh. The Kaworu/Shinji arc was pretty solid and fun to watch, but then Unit 347 and Lilith corpse (oh, it died I guess :geno:) and there's Big Rei and an angel inside the Eva and the flying god ship and they're all fighting!!! The 2.22 fight scene seemed remarkably weighty, by contrast.

I've read this thread for a long time and I've found many of the metatextual discussions insightful, but most of it seems more like "it's actually Anno playing eighth dimensional chess" than what appears to be significantly more likely, that the setting is being used for backdrop and overblown visual shock value and little else. The original series, and to some extent Rebuild 2.22, has just enough coherency in its narrative to leave gaps that can be endlessly theorized about and indeed hold a certain mystery to them. Stuff like Unit-00 smashing the glass because of the Ritsuko/Naoko connection is cool as hell. Here, anything and everything will happen, buttressed by a huge time skip and references with the subtlety of Family Guy flashbacks, so why bother? As you mention, it's remarkably reminiscent of how Star Wars media was treated, where everyone flies around in what are totally not Star Destroyers and ignores the basic themes that made the originals such a hit.

It's disappointing, but I'll still watch the next film. v:shobon:v

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still have this theory that Anno is more like that teacher that you get on remedial classes / make-up tests in that he's TRYING to get enough knowledge into your goddamn brain so you can finally pass the test and remember the subjects that are important because if you're gonna let something so dismal to stop you from moving on, you might as well give up.

But he still sees potential. He still sees a spark. That's why he keeps on trying. To see if we eventually get it right because, you know... 18 years. A lesser man would have quit already. Not this loving guy.

And I stand by my statement of a few weeks ago: Half the charm for EVA is all the hows and whys and how we have to fill in the blanks with the information we've been given.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

It feels like fanfiction because it starts off as a faithful adaptation of episodes 1-6 and then goes off into pandering la-la land and veers off again into a depressing post-apocalyptic miasma that provides an excuse to rewrite EoE, and fiction writers have already exceeded the word count of the Lord of the Rings, the Bible, the Encyclopedia Britannica, and the tax code doing that very thing, right down to using episode 6 as the jumping off point for the changes.

Between that and Mari, I seriously wonder if it's done on purpose.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't quite get why a bunch of Gainax dudes are referring to Huaruhi Suzumiya derisively as the symbol of the anime end-times; I always thought it was pretty neat because of how it subverts the schlocky-ness and has a really dry main character that doesn't tolerate the tropey nonsense.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005

The Riddle of Feel posted:

It feels like fanfiction because it starts off as a faithful adaptation of episodes 1-6 and then goes off into pandering la-la land and veers off again into a depressing post-apocalyptic miasma that provides an excuse to rewrite EoE, and fiction writers have already exceeded the word count of the Lord of the Rings, the Bible, the Encyclopedia Britannica, and the tax code doing that very thing, right down to using episode 6 as the jumping off point for the changes.

Between that and Mari, I seriously wonder if it's done on purpose.

It feels like the listen he's trying to teach is that the original eva was a product of a breakdown/its time/budget/his drive, and that this eva is just a dumb fun time and he wants it to be reduced to just a fun ride to move on from with some bones thrown to fans and to introduce a vague element of eternal recurrence. This version is basically all the depth and style stripped away and reduced to references and Eva-brand type stuff, and only makes sense in context of itself and has nothing to say to anyone watching besides "have fun". This is Anno's part in instrumentality.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I don't quite get why a bunch of Gainax dudes are referring to Huaruhi Suzumiya derisively as the symbol of the anime end-times; I always thought it was pretty neat because of how it subverts the schlocky-ness and has a really dry main character that doesn't tolerate the tropey nonsense.

Kyon isn't so much "dry" as "a smug above-it-all audience insert." Haruhi is remarkably well-crafted for what it is but I don't think it's subversive at all.

Anyways, I think Rebuild has plenty of worthwhile things to say about Evangelion as a whole and that claiming it's "without style" is insane, but anything I could add to the conversation at this point I've probably already said multiple times.

The show was blatantly commercial and sent conflicting love/hate messages to its fans from day one, so the presence of that stuff in Rebuild is unsurprising, but it's also made room for continued growth of nearly every major character.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2013

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

It has a lot of style. I'm hesistant to really explore its themes until I see the ending, though. 3.0's weirdness will be defined by that ending, no matter what it may be. I've seen some really harsh judgments of it so far, which to me seem unwarranted given that we've only seen the middle of the story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Riddle of Feel posted:

It has a lot of style. I'm hesistant to really explore its themes until I see the ending, though. 3.0's weirdness will be defined by that ending, no matter what it may be. I've seen some really harsh judgments of it so far, which to me seem unwarranted given that we've only seen the middle of the story.

I agree, although I'm not able to resist the temptation a years-long wait presents and will try anyways. :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Zewle posted:

Yeah, sure, whatever. Maaya Sakamoto said it after doing VA work for Mari and the Curse of Eva being a minor plot point in 3.X does hint at a metatextual drive for self-reflexive self-destruction.

At least the Rebuild movies firmly seem to exist in their own filmic bubble instead of crowding itself into continuity proper.

Szmitten: The fact that people think it is subversive when it's even more cravenly fandom self-aggrandizing than both Evas (which is no mean feat) is probably why. Like the difference between "true" punk and mallpunk. It hits the notes, the winks and the nods, but it doesn't have the same soul. Like Zewle is saying about the Rebuilds. So it's personal sentiment that doesn't really matter in the long run when both works of fiction are keenly marketed product directed at a very specific subset of mass media culture that takes poo poo way too seriously.

e: When the Rebuilds are done, it is my sincerest wish that someone gives them the Plinkett Review treatment: good or bad.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 28, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There is that SF debris guy who's done 1 and 2 - not sure if he's still planing on 3 and 4 when they get dubs released.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zewle posted:

It feels like the listen he's trying to teach is that the original eva was a product of a breakdown/its time/budget/his drive, and that this eva is just a dumb fun time and he wants it to be reduced to just a fun ride to move on from with some bones thrown to fans and to introduce a vague element of eternal recurrence. This version is basically all the depth and style stripped away and reduced to references and Eva-brand type stuff, and only makes sense in context of itself and has nothing to say to anyone watching besides "have fun". This is Anno's part in instrumentality.

I think this is the best interpretation.

So... are the Rebuilds A-level canon or E-level or have they been relegated to R-leve :v:?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Any idea when 3.0/3.33 is going to show up in the US on blu-ray? I'm not up on where people are getting fansubbed :filez: these days, so I'm just waiting for a stateside release.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

Any idea when 3.0/3.33 is going to show up in the US on blu-ray? I'm not up on where people are getting fansubbed :filez: these days, so I'm just waiting for a stateside release.

They use google mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

I had heard next year. :( But I don't know how official that is.