Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Fortunately for everyone, gypsies don't face any inherent danger in the US. The only 'gypsy' I know of over here is a great grandparent of my wife's. At least that's what the immigration certificate said. Is the robot from another country where it has some meaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I watched 'Man of Iron' tonight, a Polish film about the rise of Solidarity in the early 80s . It has one of the coolest posters I've seen in a long time.

What is it about Poland and great poster design anyway?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ariza posted:

Fortunately for everyone, gypsies don't face any inherent danger in the US. The only 'gypsy' I know of over here is a great grandparent of my wife's. At least that's what the immigration certificate said. Is the robot from another country where it has some meaning?

Someone in the Pacific Rim thread did point out that Gipsy Danger's name is based on a plane from WW2 or something. I remember the robot even has a WW2-style cheesecake decal on it.

The other robots are Coyote Tango (Japan), Crimson Typhoon (China), Cherno Alpha (Russia), and Striker Eureka (Australia), with others like Tacit Ronin, Romeo Blue and Diablo Intercept.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More Pacific Rim.

Also, Jobs

I don't get the psychedelic scheme.

and a re-release for Wizard of Oz, this time in 3D.

It looks more like a DVD cover.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Jobs

It was the only way they could get Ashton Kutcher to look like Steve Jobs.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Jobs

I think it's mostly to confound expectations and get people riled up to see what they've already read in the biography.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Could I care less about fil-? Oh it's Ashton Kutcher...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

tliil posted:

It was the only way they could get Ashton Kutcher to look like Steve Jobs.

He seems to have a reasonable resemblance to Jobs.

That's Kutcher in make-up as a middle-aged Jobs on the left and Jobs on the right.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Improbable Lobster posted:

Robot names have always been retarded. I dare you to find even one robot with a name that isn't dumb as hell.

The Terminator and Robocop.

Also PR looks kinda cool.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vagabundo posted:

More Pacific Rim.

Say hello to the counter to the 'all giant robot names are really stupid' hypothesis, because Striker Eureka is loving awesome and thematically perfect for the nation it's representing.

Although I'd argue that it's perhaps not a great idea to be naming your defensive action robot after a curbstomp as bad as the Eureka Stockade.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cleretic posted:

Say hello to the counter to the 'all giant robot names are really stupid' hypothesis, because Striker Eureka is loving awesome and thematically perfect for the nation it's representing.

Although I'd argue that it's perhaps not a great idea to be naming your defensive action robot after a curbstomp as bad as the Eureka Stockade.

IRL, this mech would be rejected American hardware and used to sink refugee boats.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ashton Kutcher jobs? To whom? I'd long for a scene where suddenly we hear "IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!" and suddenly he is beaten and buried by Triple H.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

It's like the early Apple logo, where it's rainbow coloured.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I watched 'Man of Iron' tonight, a Polish film about the rise of Solidarity in the early 80s . It has one of the coolest posters I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, you'll never see an American movie poster of a guy with a busted nut on his face.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like the Pacific Rim poster, but I don't think it's awesome enough. I kinda felt the same way about the trailer. Not enough badassery :black101:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I don't think Robby is a stupid name for a robot.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
The B-9, Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot is the robot I think of when someone says robot.

danger danger *flails duct arms*

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I sometimes get shocked that a person can manage to hold a certain opinion. Today my shock was that people don't like the robot names in Pacific Rim.

Gipsy DANGERRRRRRRR. STRIKER EUREKA!

I mean are you kidding. These names are incredible. What do you want to call your giant robots? Bob? Steve? Oh thank goodness, Bob and Steve are here.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

What do you want to call your giant robots? Bob? Steve? Oh thank goodness, Bob and Steve are here.

Something that appropriately informs the country or people that created it and use it to defend themselves, which is entirely reasonable.

Gaming example: in the game Freelancer, colony ships were launched. The Liberty, the Rhineland, the Kusari, the Bretonia, and the Hispania. If you have two brain cells to bang together, you can reasonably guess which counties made which colony ship.

The folks developing PR gave the robots names that, generally speaking, could have been randomized, for how much they reflect the creator's countries. It might not be a world-ending failure, but it is a failure. And to tie it into a previous discussion: I think that naming the robots so randomly for no reason than "Well, anime uses silly, strange names" does a disservice to attempting to market or interest audiences in the film who think silly and strange names are unappealing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 3, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

I sometimes get shocked that a person can manage to hold a certain opinion. Today my shock was that people don't like the robot names in Pacific Rim.

Gipsy DANGERRRRRRRR. STRIKER EUREKA!

I mean are you kidding. These names are incredible. What do you want to call your giant robots? Bob? Steve? Oh thank goodness, Bob and Steve are here.

No word of a lie, that is precisely what I want.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Bob and Steve are great Robot names :colbert:

MisterBibs posted:

Something that appropriately informs the country or people that created it and use it to defend themselves, which is entirely reasonable.

Gaming example: in the game Freelancer, colony ships were launched. The Liberty, the Rhineland, the Kusari, the Bretonia, and the Hispania. If you have two brain cells to bang together, you can reasonably guess which counties made which colony ship.

The folks developing PR gave the robots names that, generally speaking, could have been randomized, for how much they reflect the creator's countries. It might not be a world-ending failure, but it is a failure.

Really only Coyote Tango and Gipsy Danger fail to tell you the country

Striker Eureka, Cherno Alpha, and Crimson Typhoon should be pretty obvious

EDIT: They should've gone with Mammoth Apostle for America

Peruser fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 3, 2013

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Peruser posted:

Striker Eureka, Cherno Alpha, and Crimson Typhoon should be pretty obvious

I agree. Eureka is a term with a Greek origin, so Greek. And Typhoon is what Japan calls a hurricane, so that's the Japanese one. Did I win?

Only the Russian one makes sense, because everyone remembers Chernobyl. Even if my predictive typing can't spell it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 3, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Eureka makes total sense from an Australian perspective, because the Eureka Stockade is a distinct point in Australian history that's at the heart of Australian public consciousness. It was also a defense, so given that the robots are being made for defensive purposes, that makes total sense. It was also the result of a strike, so you can read that into 'Striker', but that could also just be a descriptor of the robot's role.

That's actually a pretty cool thing to me, they didn't design Striker Eureka for other countries to know it was the Australian robot. They designed him in a way that Australians would design him. The historical reference in the name would probably be lost on other countries, but if Australia was making a giant robot they totally wouldn't care about that.

I still think naming your defensive robot after a complete and utter misery of a failure to defend a position is perhaps not a good idea, though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gatts posted:

Ashton Kutcher jobs? To whom? I'd long for a scene where suddenly we hear "IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!" and suddenly he is beaten and buried by Triple H.

Yes.

Vagabundo posted:

More Pacific Rim.

"That's not a knife"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

I imagined it as more a global program than each country building it's own personal defender. If Japan is about to be crushed, are Striker Eureka and Gipsy Danger just expected to stand around and watch?

All the names are just two cool sounding words slapped together. Maybe you shimmy in a connection to the nation that built it but this didn't seem like a competition between nations so much as a collaboration. I haven't seen the movie so I could be wrong.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cleretic posted:

Eureka makes total sense from an Australian perspective, because the Eureka Stockade is a distinct point in Australian history that's at the heart of Australian public consciousness. It was also a defense, so given that the robots are being made for defensive purposes, that makes total sense. It was also the result of a strike, so you can read that into 'Striker', but that could also just be a descriptor of the robot's role.

That's actually a pretty cool thing to me, they didn't design Striker Eureka for other countries to know it was the Australian robot. They designed him in a way that Australians would design him. The historical reference in the name would probably be lost on other countries, but if Australia was making a giant robot they totally wouldn't care about that.

I still think naming your defensive robot after a complete and utter misery of a failure to defend a position is perhaps not a good idea, though.

Yeah this. It's a well thought out name.

Also whoever said Data was a bad name can :frogout:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I agree. Eureka is a term with a Greek origin, so Greek. And Typhoon is what Japan calls a hurricane, so that's the Japanese one. Did I win?

Only the Russian one makes sense, because everyone remembers Chernobyl. Even if my predictive typing can't spell it.

No, no. Crimson Typhoon = Red Storm = Russia.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Byzantine posted:

No, no. Crimson Typhoon = Red Storm = Russia.

and Cherno Alpha = Black One = Ethiopia

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Full disclosure, I'm sorry for the PR derail: half the time I post here, I've forgotten it's not the PR thread.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, if you look to actual examples of real military people naming real military machines instead of half-baked on-the-nose video game lore, you see that these names tend to have some personal significance or are based on in-jokes or military culture. By "MUST BE NATIONALIST" standards, Pink Lady, Next Objective, and Enola Gay would be horrible names for war machines.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Darthemed posted:

How has Dan Aykroyd lived that one down?
Because this came out after and wiped the slate clean of Exit to Eden:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, if you look to actual examples of real military people naming real military machines instead of half-baked on-the-nose video game lore, you see that these names tend to have some personal significance or are based on in-jokes or military culture. By "MUST BE NATIONALIST" standards, Pink Lady, Next Objective, and Enola Gay would be horrible names for war machines.

Hey now, don't forget Bock's Car.

Now that you mention it, Gipsy Danger sounds like an atomic test. It would fit in with such names as Buster-Jangle, Tumbler-Snapper, Ivy Mike, or Plumbob Smoky.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So here's a Finnish poster for Despicable me 2.

I guess the original poster had "Back 2 work" on it and some Finnish ad dude was required to have that 2 in there somewhere. The thing is that doesn't make any goddamn sense. Basically that be something like "B2ck to work" in English.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
More descriptive names for the bots that really let you know where they're from would've been better.

HFCS Double-Down
Wodka Czar
Hikimori Panty-Zero
Union Jackbot
El Torero
Grenouille De Homophobique
Poutine Beta
Chairman POW
TIA Djiboutimech
Outback B.R.U.C.E.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Almost a hundred years of designing for a primarily internal entertainment market, combined with state run film distribution, created both demand and supply for good advertising posters. The driving force is gone but tradition and collectors are still there. It's what Mondo wants to be.

If you're up for some history, have a summary with examples.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pingiivi posted:

So here's a Finnish poster for Despicable me 2.

I've seen this poo poo on a lot of posters recently, which makes me think maybe it's one dumbass ad agency doing it all. Then again the language standards for advertising are so loving low it's crazy. Nobody gives a poo poo about compound words or anything anymore.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Der Shovel posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about compound words or anything anymore.

I really love this sentence. Nobody gives a poo poo about compound words... or anything anymore. You go from frustrated middle school English teacher to complete nihilist in one sentence.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Peruser posted:

and Cherno Alpha = Black One = Ethiopia

The robot names all sound like they came out of some sort of generator site.

Enter your favorite character from Airplane! ________
Enter the word your wife screams during orgasm _______

Your Jager's name is: STRIKER EUREKA.

I haven't quite figured out what the algorithm is yet though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ThatPazuzu posted:

I really love this sentence. Nobody gives a poo poo about compound words... or anything anymore. You go from frustrated middle school English teacher to complete nihilist in one sentence.

Finnish is a synonym for nihilist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Jobs

I swear I read a quote about Steve Jobs where he said he couldn't respect a man who didn't do acid at least once in his life. He purportedly credited LSD trips with expanding his imagination. It's been years since I read that quote though, so I don't actually know if it's bullshit or not. Still, it would help explain the color scheme and it could be an interesting turn if the movie has/had scenes of Jobs doing drugs for inspiration.