Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Classic Twisty posted:

Was doing the gangster story in the middle of homestuck an example of a fantroll.

Well, what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Classic Twisty posted:

Was doing the gangster story in the middle of homestuck an example of a fantroll.

No, that was an intermission.

...You know what, at this point it's probably more efficient just to point you to the wiki.

Have a link.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

King of Solomon posted:

Well, what do you think?

I hated it. So I felt trolled. It seemed to me that the author didn't know where to go with the story.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

German Joey posted:

please watch your language, Twisty is not a troll he just has a problem, which happens to be terminal autism, and gets in trouble here on these forums because cruel mods put him on probation for asking questions about things he doesn't understand. don't you think this poor child should be allowed to ask questions? i think he should. anyways, isn't your peoples' catchphrase "Ask me about Homestuck?" so, please be more nice to Twisty, in the future, and answer his questions please, thank you.

Wrist Watch posted:

I see a user coming into the thread and politely asking questions about a comic in the appropriate thread, maybe you should stop getting your panties in a bunch over nothing?

Fister Roboto posted:

Woah thanks for the heads up bro! It's important to remember that anyone with a tarnished rap sheet isn't worth acknowledging.

I see. My sincerest apologies then.

I am sorry, Classic Twisty, I was being a prejudiced jerk! Everyone please carry on and tell him about Homestuck.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Classic Twisty posted:

I hated it. So I felt trolled. It seemed to me that the author didn't know where to go with the story.

I'm pretty sure that's the only thing he DOES know. Everything between the start and end he's made up on the spot pretty much.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Are there going to be more SBAHJ?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Classic Twisty posted:

Are there going to be more SBAHJ?

We can only hope :allears:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Have there been any summaries posted of what's happened since the whole ridiculous fairy dust in the cartridge debacle? I've been following this comic since halfway through problem sleuth and this is the point at which I've pretty much given up trying to follow Hussies weird format-destroying tangents and neverending quagmires of words, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in where the story's going.

Update slash fanart occasionally spills onto my tumblr dashboard like pus from an infected wound, giving me tiny updates on what's going on with John & Co, but every time I even attempt to read it for myself my eyes glaze over at the infinite ==>s and branching pathways. (Didn't Hussie say right after problem sleuth that he abused the 'Next' command?)

tl;dr Help me goons I'm too retarded to read :eng99:

Edit: Honestly at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Andrew Hussie that's been attending conventions is just a body double and the real one is cloistered in a half-flooded basement, lit only by a computer screen and a tablet. A terrified softowl feeds him a steady diet of pastries, gushers and just a shitton of PCP

Eox fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 9, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That scene wasn't very long ago. The comic has not yet revealed enough of what has happened since then to be worth summarizing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe you have it mixed with the trickster mode episode?

If reading big chunks of text isn't your thing but you still want to follow the story you can always go at your own pace, you know, leave it on hold as soon as it starts to bore you. Or stop reading for a while and return later reading all in one go? Yonic Symbolism (I think) did just that at a point where it appeared like the story wasn't going anywhere and it seems to have helped.

Personally I still love it as much as when I started reading, and the text walls don't bother me, since most are well written and very funny to read. English not being my native language is either a pro or a con here, not sure which to be honest. If the pace or wordiness you can always alternate reading other things, there's plenty of fantastic webcomics out there like Gunnerkrigg Court, Paranatural and Cucumber Quest!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

German Joey posted:

please watch your language, Twisty is not a troll he just has a problem, which happens to be terminal autism, and gets in trouble here on these forums because cruel mods put him on probation for asking questions about things he doesn't understand. don't you think this poor child should be allowed to ask questions? i think he should. anyways, isn't your peoples' catchphrase "Ask me about Homestuck?" so, please be more nice to Twisty, in the future, and answer his questions please, thank you.

your welcome

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Oh hey, lots of new posts must be an update!"

I feel so deceived.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

On the other hand we get to tell somebody about Homestuck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The last time I saw people seriously answering Twisty's questions about pet chickens, he ended up trying to capture birds on the street by throwing his hat at them (and somehow succeeding.)

So yeah, actually, proceed!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

To do list:

☐ Get milk from the store
☑ Update resume
☑ Get Something Awful Forum User SynthOrange's permission to answer Twisty's questions

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You better get some milk, it's how you become STRONG.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

German Joey posted:

please watch your language, Twisty is not a troll he just has a problem, which happens to be terminal autism
I didn't know autism could be lethal. I'm so sorry about all this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

JT Jag posted:

I didn't know autism could be lethal.

Much like your NFL fandom

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Classic Twisty posted:

The gangster story winds up being relevant, though it's kind of a while until the actual payoff.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Wrist Watch posted:

To do list:

☐ Get milk from the store
☑ Update resume
☑ Get Something Awful Forum User SynthOrange's permission to answer Twisty's questions

haha look at this clownish to-do list that you didn't do from the top-down, better add in "buy a rubber nose" you clown.

real talk tho, never tell anyone about homestuck. it is your burden alone.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chexoid posted:

real talk tho, never tell anyone about homestuck. it is your burden alone.

I tried once. Talking to this cute girl. She quite out of the blue says "I have a tumblr where I write nonerotic Docter Who and Supernatural slashfiction" "Oh. You're one of THOSE people. I read Homestuck and have been playing a D&D fan game based on it for a couple years." "Oh. You're one of THOSE people."

Then we laughed and laughed and laughed

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

have been playing a D&D fan game based on it for a couple years

For real? I'd like to know more.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I tried once. Talking to this cute girl. She quite out of the blue says "I have a tumblr where I write nonerotic Docter Who and Supernatural slashfiction" "Oh. You're one of THOSE people. I read Homestuck and have been playing a D&D fan game based on it for a couple years." "Oh. You're one of THOSE people."

No the correct answer is to segue off internet topics, not to plumb that appalling well even deeper. Sheesh.

e. unless this is like some internet ante routine. in which case she should have seen and raised with an RP livejournal.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 9, 2013

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Linking a surreal horse-themed text adventure seems good for the Homestuck thread during the hiatus.

I did not become a Horse Master :(

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Didn't even ask her who her patron troll was. For. Shame.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

k5josh posted:

For real? I'd like to know more.

It's basically D&D, though when another player killed me during a boss fight (dunno why, I guess he was still mad over the time I made a shock collar and put it on him and I had the remote for it) I was able to get a second life and flight from my dreamself, so I was able to sequence break and flew straight to my denizen. Well, first I need to enact some revenge on the player who killed me before that, so right now it's a game of politics where I'm trying to convince the rest of the group to help me kill him and he's trying to convince them to help him kill me, which is driving our DM up the wall since all his plans involve us working together.

So basically D&D.

Thwack! posted:

Didn't even ask her who her patron troll was. For. Shame.

Man, I just... I'm sorry, I really dropped the ball there, didn't I? :(

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 9, 2013

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Do all webcomics have fans like this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Few webcomics are popular enough to incubate this kind of insanity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Few webcomics are popular enough to incubate this kind of insanity.

Which is too bad. I'd totally play a Whomp!-themed D&D variant.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Twisty is my favourite character in Homestuck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

Which is too bad. I'd totally play a Whomp!-themed D&D variant.

A Chicken McGolem approaches! Roll a saving throw vs. gluttony.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Classic Twisty posted:

That is very accurate twisty. Pacing is not a thing that Andrew Hussie does well. Keep in mind that he thought Inception should've been considerably longer than it actually was to the point that he even thought making it into a TV series would've been a good idea.

Andrew Hussie is extremely bad at telling stories and good-to-great at creating an engaging world with entertaining characters. If you understand this about Homestuck you might enjoy it slightly more?

The intermission was probably to introduce the concept of time travel to the story in an oblique way, by the way. It was still way longer than it needed to be.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Classic Twisty posted:

Do all webcomics have fans like this

It's really more of a web experience per se and I would thank you to adopt the correct vernacular in the future.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Just kidding! Before rolling the die you had eaten it already. You lose 2 experience points.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Every possible result is an auto-fail. You go into a red fog and awaken several hours later to find nothing left of the golem save a few crumbs and its wooden club (which has scattered bite-marks on it). Roll a saving throw vs. self-loathing. (Every possible result is an auto-fail.)

(efb :saddowns:)

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

The intermission was probably to introduce the concept of time travel to the story in an oblique way, by the way. It was still way longer than it needed to be.

I think that first intermission was originally intended to be a break for him and not actually part of the story at all (it was questionable whether even Lord English was supposed to be A Real Actual Thing at that point), but by the end of it he just couldn't resist tying it into the plot at large, because he loves overcomplicated nonsense. This thing probably would have been over years ago if Hussie hadn't been constantly changing his internal plot outline on the fly the whole time.

I think that's the main problem here -- the man's got no restraint. He'll probably eventually write a book which is supposed to be as long as The Old Man and the Sea but ends up being a twenty-volume epic twice the length of Wheel Of Time.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

That is very accurate twisty. Pacing is not a thing that Andrew Hussie does well. Keep in mind that he thought Inception should've been considerably longer than it actually was to the point that he even thought making it into a TV series would've been a good idea.

Andrew Hussie is extremely bad at telling stories and good-to-great at creating an engaging world with entertaining characters. If you understand this about Homestuck you might enjoy it slightly more?

Sort of. It took me a long time to like John because he freaked out when his dad tried to give him a cake. I think I finally started to like him around the first conversation with Karkat (from karkats perspective)

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

It's really more of a web experience per se and I would thank you to adopt the correct vernacular in the future.

Sorry

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

OH I hate the guy who types in white because I can't read it

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Classic Twisty posted:

Yes, that character takes a particular joy in annoying the audience, doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Classic Twisty posted:

:thejoke:

I'll grant thatt if this guy is a troll, he's a moderately entertaining one, and it's not like he's interrupting anything.