Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It looks better now, too. Less bulbous. Still concerned! But we're going in first thing when the vet is open. Internet says the vet will lance it and possibly may require some surgery :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mikerock posted:

It looks better now, too. Less bulbous. Still concerned! But we're going in first thing when the vet is open. Internet says the vet will lance it and possibly may require some surgery :ohdear:
I hope everything goes alright. :ohdear:

Here's something to cheer everyone up:
Baby Hummingbird Loves Rescuer

Alexis was extremely happy to see me after a weekend at the birdy hotel. They said he was shy (expected) but did on Saturday and Sunday talk to the other small birds around him and play around in his cage, so that was good. :) So happy to be snuggling with him again, though!

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Oh, God, that looks scary. How did you find it? Keep us posted! :ohdear:

Kenshin posted:

Alexis was extremely happy to see me after a weekend at the birdy hotel. They said he was shy (expected) but did on Saturday and Sunday talk to the other small birds around him and play around in his cage, so that was good. :) So happy to be snuggling with him again, though!

I never knew birds could love so much. My mom made the mistake of calling me at work last week and putting me on speaker and now EVERY morning she has to call me because Arya wants to hear my voice. Apparently Nico starts bobbing and shaking when he hears me, too :3:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Recipes for Homemade Parrot Foods and Treats: http://www.parrothouse.com/recipes.html

Today I made the banana nut recipe from this link and holy crap! Arya gobbled down a huge chunk and then started screaming at me to get her more. I've never seen her eat so fast. Even Nico nibbled on the soft parts. Definitely making it again. I can't wait to try out those other recipes.

Still desperate to get them proper cages. I have the money now it's just... nothing looks right, and my family thinks it's ridiculous that I want them to have SO much space. Arya is okay for now, but Nico LOVES to jump and fly and I wanna get him something nice and big. There's so many cages out there I'm overwhelmed, though. Is that 31 inch cage ridiculously big for a quaker parrot?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hobo Camp posted:

I never knew birds could love so much. My mom made the mistake of calling me at work last week and putting me on speaker and now EVERY morning she has to call me because Arya wants to hear my voice. Apparently Nico starts bobbing and shaking when he hears me, too :3:
Yeah, the guy at the store brought that up when I pulled Alexis out of his cage and we were immediately snuggling. It's just different from the way that cats and dogs love, and more rewarding because these are basically just wild animals that we've convinced to love us through our care and affection for them, whereas cats and dogs have been bred for domesticity for thousands of years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hobo Camp posted:

I get advanced warning of whenever my partner gets home, because the dog starts going nuts, and Squirt starts whistling and contact calling and hopping along to the front room. This happens before she even gets out of her car.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Hobo Camp posted:

Today I made the banana nut recipe from this link and holy crap! Arya gobbled down a huge chunk and then started screaming at me to get her more. I've never seen her eat so fast. Even Nico nibbled on the soft parts. Definitely making it again. I can't wait to try out those other recipes.

I love baking for my bird, and she always loves it too! That recipe isn't so bad, but there's some nutty poo poo in some of those other recipes. High protein canned dog food, canned fruit cocktail, soy based infant formula, monkey chow... not to mention added sugar, butter, buttermilk, sour cream, salt, ...nobody's bird needs any of that.

I made Zippy this: http://www.parrothouse.com/amazonbirdiebread.html recently and I think of as a treat for her. I substituted mango for banana, real eggs from my chickens for that egg substitute poo poo, and made my own peanut butter. She's pretty into it and it stuffs her full of vitamin A

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

mikerock posted:

Any update? :ohdear:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The regular vet is closed on Monday, so I am taking work off tomorrow to go in first thing. She is doing OK, eating well which is a good sign and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. I am hoping that this is what it looks like, which is something "relatively" minor that can be treated by a lancing and some antibiotics. The pictures of bad cases of air sac ruptures looked far worse so I think we caught it pretty early. It also doesn't appear to be urgent as the emergency vet recommended on Sunday waiting until the regular vet is open Tuesday. I don't have an appointment but the vet is set up to handle cases like this where people show up with unexpectedly sick birds. It's still nerve wracking :ohdear:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Back from the vet. The verdict is that her air sac was being pushed up against her skin because her crop was full. Vet says it is nothing to worry about. She looks healthy and weighed in at 69.2 grams.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

mikerock posted:

Back from the vet. The verdict is that her air sac was being pushed up against her skin because her crop was full. Vet says it is nothing to worry about. She looks healthy and weighed in at 69.2 grams.
Sounds like some best case scenario news to me!

Great to hear that she just needs to learn to not stuff her face so much.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Haha not possible! She is either eating or wanting scritches.

She is currently enjoying a millet treat (we never give her millet)

Also the vet says that a ruptured air sac looks totally different and would be very obvious.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Never a dull moment.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

From a certain perspective, that photo looks like you caught her doing some sick lifts

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, just exactly how did that end for our friend with no arms?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

mikerock posted:

So tiny! My Pyrrhura usually weighs in at 103g. Such a size difference. Glad to hear she's fine too!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

70g is around average for a GCC.

We're pretty relieved nothing is wrong too!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hunter is well over 100g but she's a show tiel (she even has the National Cockatiel Society band) so she's just a big bird. Also, her flight feathers on her left wing are almost fully grown back in. The outermost primary flights still have another 1/2 inch or so left to grow but at the rate they're growing they should be in by the end of the week. It's amazing how fast they grew back once they got longer than the coverts.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis (though a slightly different subspecies of conure) was about 88g when I got him, briefly dropped down to around 86g during the transition from seeds to pellets, and now is very happily eating Zupreem (and the occasional fresh foods, though I'm trying to increase that as I figure out what he likes and will eat) and is at a happy 91g.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 16, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Hunter is well over 100g but she's a show tiel (she even has the National Cockatiel Society band) so she's just a big bird. Also, her flight feathers on her left wing are almost fully grown back in. The outermost primary flights still have another 1/2 inch or so left to grow but at the rate they're growing they should be in by the end of the week. It's amazing how fast they grew back once they got longer than the coverts.

How big are your other 'tiels? Steve was in the low 60s when we got him, and is around 80g now I think.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mickey is 66.6 g.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Yeah, just exactly how did that end for our friend with no arms?

She bit on the horizontal wire with her beak and did a backwards tumble onto the top of the cage. That was last week. This week she's doing it with just one paw. I swear she's part monkey.

Maybe that's why she's so ugly :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

Mickey is 66.6 g.

Start giving him holy water

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Hurray for a healthy bird!

Speaking of better-than-expected news, the lovebird a woman found was not Chiyo. I'm torn between being relieved and upset that I still don't have closure. Thankfully caiques exist on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfhlPEkNm7o

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hobo Camp posted:

Never a dull moment.

Bro, does she even lift? I'd say so, look at those pecs!

Also, this has been circulating the facebooks, thanks to my girlfriend, my day was just lightened up a bit :) An oldie, but a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvrcdQWzH-8

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My bird hovers around 530 g :smug:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eejit posted:

My bird hovers around 530 g :smug:

Despite how awesome your bird is, Im still happy not owning a thing that can easily take off a finger.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I thiught my bart tiel was skinny! Or something. Hes 81g..pichu is 97 and she looks heftier. The gcc is 69g which always still blows me away that theyre smaller than tiels.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like to think they get the extra weight from their comically long tail feathers

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz is a fatty, 116-120g depending on how much he's pooped.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also, this has been circulating the facebooks, thanks to my girlfriend, my day was just lightened up a bit :) An oldie, but a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvrcdQWzH-8

I posted that at the top of this page :P

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I posted that at the top of this page :P

I knew I had seen it somewhere! I couldn't remember for the life of me where I saw it haha.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Mindo is about 130 grams. I always think of him as conure size, but I guess he's a bit bigger. Speaking of which, I took a couple more photos of him.

Glamor shot!

Details on the feathers

Puffy Bird!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh man he is so drat cute. :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Frogmanv2 posted:

Despite how awesome your bird is, Im still happy not owning a thing that can easily take off a finger.

Well take off a finger would be impressive for a cockatoo. Flay flesh from bone, now that's a different story. Actually the worst I've ever really gotten was a mild puncture from the hook on his beak (about 0.5 cm into the fleshy part between thumb and pointer) or a double cut from regular beak action.

Really dealing with him and all large birds is reading body language. Aside from when I was still in the new bird owner phase, I've never really gotten bit aside from when I could see it coming and ignored it. If I see it coming and I can't get him off me before we reach "I'm actually going to bite you" I'll just blow on him and then stuff him in his cell. He's probably drawn blood on me once in the past 4-5 years and that was a few months ago when I was trying to get him to step up, he was not happy with the proceedings, I decided to continue the process, he decided he was going to very concretely express his feelings, and he got an excellent hold of my finger, chomped down hard, and then I twisted my finger and made it like twice as bad.

Also he is never allowed near my face because I don't trust him that much. And frankly I would trust any large bird near my face. The whole macaw or whatever on the shoulder thing is really only acceptable to me if there is a handler watching the bird because it's pretty hard to read the bird telling you he or she is going to give you stitches on your face if you can't actually see the bird.

Whenever I handle tiels or similar size birds I find the "bites" pretty hilarious.

Staryberry posted:

Mindo is about 130 grams. I always think of him as conure size, but I guess he's a bit bigger. Speaking of which, I took a couple more photos of him.

Well with most tiels in this thread weighing in at about 90, that would put his schnoz at around 40 g :haw:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I think it's adorable that we can rattle off our birds' weights. Zoe is 62g and Zeke's 70g. Mamacita's a fatty at 55g (she's always weighed when she has eggs up her butt, somehow) and Dio's 46g. All my birds are flighted and muscled as gently caress, so they're a little underweight compared to most pet birds.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie's 452g as of.... 30 seconds ago.

Apparently that's a fairly average weight for a grey but she actually pretty small-boned so the vet thinks she's actually a wee bit of a chubster.

(I've been meaning to weigh her for weeks, thanks for reminding me thread!)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Eejit posted:

Whenever I handle tiels or similar size birds I find the "bites" pretty hilarious.

This amuses me because my 'too-owning friend says she prefers her big parrot's bites over small parrot bites because she'd rather have a bruise than puncture wounds. :gonk: I've seen a bruise that she's gotten from her bird, I will take my small papercut bites over that ANY day.

I haven't weighed my birds in a while, so I should probably do that. Nugget looks like a super fatty because she is so goddamn fluffy but she was a healthy weight the last time I checked. She used to be on the tubbier side but lost a couple grams since I've been leaving her flighted.

Sprite is pretty heavy for a budgie. Last time I weighed her she was around 35g, but the vet said she is really muscular so I guess she is just a bodybuilder budgie. All that chasing Nugget around must be a good workout.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Maru is really good about biting. She hasn't broken any skin and most of the time its a soft nibble; Or she goes around trying to pick off freckles.

However, yesterday she ran across my chest (I was lying on the bed) up my neck, and across my face, with no regard to eyeballs, to get to the AC's wind to cool her off (she was still pretty far from it and it wast on a super cold setting, and it was hot as balls (so we decided it was okay for a little bit)). She then removed herself from my head to go poop somewhere which was very thoughtful.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Mindo is gorgeous!

Arya still weighs 88 grams even though she eats like a horse. Nico doesn't eat nearly as much and is up from 88 grams to 91. Most of that weight is on his head, though. I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stannum
May 8, 2005

So fluffy! I want to reach through my screen and give scritches :3: