Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Or Elan could show one of his rare bursts of competence and create an illusion of Roy to cover their escape.

My bet is that none of these things will happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jng2058 posted:

I think that would be trumped by the "kill everyone" part of the command.

"starting with", so the first person you must kill is the human with a greatsword. No such human present? Time to find one!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Fairly certain Roy and co couldn't hear the orders he was giving anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't remember exactly how the elementals we've seen so far behaved but I'd peg them as smart enough to follow the meaning of an instruction rather than the exact wording, if just about. That's more of a construct thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

greatn posted:

"starting with", so the first person you must kill is the human with a greatsword. No such human present? Time to find one!

An Eldar Elemental is Int 10. That's human average. Not a brain surgeon, but not a mindless moron either. He can see Roy holding the greatsword, if Roy drops the greatsword he's going to keep trying to kill Roy, greatsword or no. Arguably if you threw the sword to Tarquin, maybe that works, but honestly the illusionary escape plan is by far your better option...especially since it doesn't involve discarding your +5 ancestral weapon! Duck behind the rift out of sight, then have Elan pop another group illusion while you hide and/or run away.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can't remember exactly how the elementals we've seen so far behaved but I'd peg them as smart enough to follow the meaning of an instruction rather than the exact wording, if just about. That's more of a construct thing.

But on the other hand the elemental doesn't exactly have any personal investment in this either. It could follow the letter of the command intentionally just to dick over the guy who annoyed it by summoning it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's a big gob of HP with strength in the 30ish range and some movement powers. There's gonna be a dramatic fight and a few jokes, and I'm pretty sure that the elemental is not going to have an existential crisis about whether or not these adventurers actually deserve to die.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

Doubtful if you remember how that poisonous gas elemental treated whats her name back in Azure City.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cliff Racer posted:

Doubtful if you remember how that poisonous gas elemental treated whats her name back in Azure City.

"Kill all humans in the courtyard" and not listening to someone say "wait I'm not with them" is probably a little different than "kill everyone, starting with the human with the greatsword" and then having an existential crisis when the guy puts the greatsword down.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe the elemental is going to interpret Redcloak's instructions as "kill everyone starting with the human, with the greatsword", and try to yank Roy's sword out of his hands before doing any actual killing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Christ people, the new comic came out today. Can we save the stupid poo poo for the periods where we haven't had a new comic for weeks?

How likely is it that the epic monsters at the last gate could hold up an epic sorcerer and a nearly epic cleric for any significant amount of time? I mean no matter how could the Halfling was with monsters there has to be an upper limit on what monsters she could capture and contain. And if she was able to overcome the monsters to capture them what's really stopping two high level casters from doing so even more quickly?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I dunno, an anti magic field or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing I find amusing is that once he takes out Roy, it's a rampage until he's stopped. It's not 'kill the party', it's 'kill everyone'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

cafel posted:

Christ people, the new comic came out today. Can we save the stupid poo poo for the periods where we haven't had a new comic for weeks?

How likely is it that the epic monsters at the last gate could hold up an epic sorcerer and a nearly epic cleric for any significant amount of time? I mean no matter how could the Halfling was with monsters there has to be an upper limit on what monsters she could capture and contain. And if she was able to overcome the monsters to capture them what's really stopping two high level casters from doing so even more quickly?

Not long. They'll clear it at the speed of plot, and given that the Order have a long way to go before they can move to the next gate (both literally and in terms of reuniting as a team) it's pretty safe to say that it'll be Xykon property by the time they show up. Xykon might even pull the same trick he pulled at the Dungeon of Dorukan and just take over most of the monsters defending it for his own use.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

greatn posted:

I dunno, an anti magic field or something.

I'm not that familiar with 3.5, but couldn't Xykon use disjunction to take those out without too much effort? I could buy it if Dorukon had helped in the construction using epic level stuff, but they're stupid pact to do everything independently suggest her dungeon won't have much in the way of high level magic.

Alchenar posted:

Not long. They'll clear it at the speed of plot, and given that the Order have a long way to go before they can move to the next gate (both literally and in terms of reuniting as a team) it's pretty safe to say that it'll be Xykon property by the time they show up. Xykon might even pull the same trick he pulled at the Dungeon of Dorukan and just take over most of the monsters defending it for his own use.

That makes some sense, but I can't remember why they were sitting around waiting at Dorukan's gate instead of using the ritual Redcloak has had since forever first thing. I don't know, maybe Tarquin will help get them to the last gate with a fast teleport or something, any option seems like it would take the Order weeks or months to get to the gate.

cafel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 18, 2013

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dorukan had added a "gate" around the gate that could only be opened by someone with a pure heart(similar to the talisam in the same dungeon). They couldn't use the ritual until they got that bit cleared.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The thing I find amusing is that once he takes out Roy, it's a rampage until he's stopped. It's not 'kill the party', it's 'kill everyone'.

Summon Monster only lasts 1 round (6 seconds) per caster level, so the elemental will only be there for around 3 minutes.

Edit: I'm dumb, 2 minutes. There are 10 rounds in a minute, not 6. :doh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JosephWongKS posted:

Maybe the elemental is going to interpret Redcloak's instructions as "kill everyone starting with the human, with the greatsword", and try to yank Roy's sword out of his hands before doing any actual killing.
This suggestion is amusing. I'm going with this one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I am correct the only core summoning spell stronger then Summon Monster IX is Gate. Redcloak cast Gate before why did he not just use that instead.

Edit:Never mind I just remembered Gate has a 10 minute cast time.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

cafel posted:

Considering each of the gates have been very well defended, I'd say pretty likely. I doubt Kraagor's gate is going to be any easier than any of the other ones that were perfectly capable of thwarting or killing Team Evil in the past.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Colonel Cool posted:

Considering each of the gates have been very well defended, I'd say pretty likely. I doubt Kraagor's gate is going to be any easier than any of the other ones that were perfectly capable of thwarting or killing Team Evil in the past.

Also the fact that Xykon had Serini's diary and still picked Kraagor's gate last, so all the other gates seemed easier pickings.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I am correct the only core summoning spell stronger then Summon Monster IX is Gate. Redcloak cast Gate before why did he not just use that instead.

Why waste your day's strongest spell?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

cafel posted:

I'm not that familiar with 3.5, but couldn't Xykon use disjunction to take those out without too much effort? I could buy it if Dorukon had helped in the construction using epic level stuff, but they're stupid pact to do everything independently suggest her dungeon won't have much in the way of high level magic.

A disjuction has a 1% chance per caster level to knock down an antimagic zone, so he could. The easy way is to send in hordes of undead to murder the crap out of anything that is maintaining the field.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Edit:Never mind I just remembered Gate has a 10 minute cast time.

No, it's just one standard action. Probably more like what Cliff Racer said.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Doesn't Gate also require a Protection spell before the summoned creature will take commands from you?

Nevermind, that must be a Neverwinter thing only. That said, Gate apparently only lasts one round per caster level for "immediate tasks with no contract with the summoned creature", so...

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 18, 2013

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What the. DMs never screw over the bad guys. That elemental will attempt to perform to the reasonable letter of the command, if not the intent.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Prediction: some quip about silicon valley, or possibly silicone implants, will be made.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

cafel posted:

Pretty likely I'd say. So far, all of the gates' guardians have been at the top of their game when it came to the protective measures and if it hadn't been for outside interference, none of them would have fallen as easily as they did, if at all. The gates are very tempting for high-level spellcasters, so if you want to protect it competently, you have to include monsters that can realistically pose a threat to them. Insofar that is even possible in D&D.

So I guess we are going to see the weirdest menagerie of seriously annoying bullshit a GM can come up with to make their players' life a living hell. My knowledge of D&D isn't that excessive but when it comes to unintentionally broken mechanics, no other system comes even close. Surely that must have resulted in some theoretically unique monsters that got abused like hell since their introduction.

Or we simply get a lot of new creation if copyright would be a problem.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

e X posted:

Pretty likely I'd say. So far, all of the gates' guardians have been at the top of their game when it came to the protective measures and if it hadn't been for outside interference, none of them would have fallen as easily as they did, if at all. The gates are very tempting for high-level spellcasters, so if you want to protect it competently, you have to include monsters that can realistically pose a threat to them. Insofar that is even possible in D&D.

So I guess we are going to see the weirdest menagerie of seriously annoying bullshit a GM can come up with to make their players' life a living hell. My knowledge of D&D isn't that excessive but when it comes to unintentionally broken mechanics, no other system comes even close. Surely that must have resulted in some theoretically unique monsters that got abused like hell since their introduction.

Or we simply get a lot of new creation if copyright would be a problem.

nightmare beast. :allears:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

e X posted:

when it comes to unintentionally broken mechanics, no other system comes even close.

You don't have much experience with P&P games, do you?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Woah this is fairly convincing!

Edit - for being the Monster in the Dark!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kraagor's Tomb's final guardians on the lowest level: MITD's family.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Colonel Cool posted:

Woah this is fairly convincing!

Edit - for being the Monster in the Dark!

Didn't the MitD come from a jungle? Does Athas even have jungles?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pope Guilty posted:

They also mentioned that it was weird to see one in the jungle. So, yeah, still fits.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've been wondering - does Nale even know how a gate looks like?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, crazy halflings and six armed tiger beasts live there.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Very big, not big enough, but he's a child and said that his father was much bigger.
Tough hide, as per Miko not making any progress slashing at him.
Omnivore.
Intelligent enough to be capable of speech.
Glow in the dark eyes, though admittedly yellow instead of red.
Natural spells.

This is totally the MitD.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Hasn't Rich taken a few jabs at Dark Sun in the past. Subtle foreshadowing perhaps?

Getting back on target, how fast do the rifts grow? Because V's body is directly beneath one right now and probably won't be going anywhere for another 20 minutes or so (and that's assuming V has enough spells to clear away the rubble).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Hasn't Rich taken a few jabs at Dark Sun in the past. Subtle foreshadowing perhaps?

One of the Backers' Reward PDF story was to be OOTS in Dark Sun; but he is currently working on rapid updates on the main story and so far the only PDF he has made for the KS backers are the Belkar story and the Spring Monster Minis. (Still waiting on: O-Chul story, Therkla story, CPPD story, Julio Scoundrel story, Dim Sun story, Sir Francois story, Haleo & Julelan story, Summer Monster Minis, Autumn Monster Minis, Winter Monster Minis.) He's supposedly quite close to finishing the Romeo & Juliet parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cat Mattress posted:

One of the Backers' Reward PDF story was to be OOTS in Dark Sun; but he is currently working on rapid updates on the main story and so far the only PDF he has made for the KS backers are the Belkar story and the Spring Monster Minis. (Still waiting on: O-Chul story, Therkla story, CPPD story, Julio Scoundrel story, Dim Sun story, Sir Francois story, Haleo & Julelan story, Summer Monster Minis, Autumn Monster Minis, Winter Monster Minis.) He's supposedly quite close to finishing the Romeo & Juliet parody.

I regret not joining the kickstarter bandwagon for the PDFs :( Hope he compiles them into a book when he's done with them!