Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cherokee Jack posted:

When in doubt, ask goons for advice!

I'm in the (future) market for a new television. My 51" RPTV still works, mostly, but it won't accept any HDMI signals anymore. Figure it's an issue with HDCP and there's gently caress all I can do about it.

There's a part of me that's tempted to go plasma but there's another that wants LED. I know of the pros and cons of both. If someone can convince me to go plasma I'll do it, but I am slightly worried about image retention/burn-in because of my viewing habits (see below).

Budget, including tax: $3500. There's no rush as I'm still saving up for it, so it won't be until about October/November, but I want to start my research and demoing now so I know what to look for.

Screen size: 60" minimum (seating distance is about 11-12' away from the TV).

Viewing habits: Blu-ray, some SD content (mostly TCM), lots of sports -- hockey, baseball, F1, tennis, etc. No gaming, I've got a cheapo LCD for that already.

Caveat: I live in Canada so I pay the "Canada Tax" which is pretty much 30% more than the US price for the same TV. :suicide:

If it were me, I'd get a 65" of this baby: Samsung PN65F8500.
With a peak brightness of over 200cd/M2, it can handle windows facing it and sports with high amounts of white (hockey, curling).
And burn-in hasn't been an issue these last three years or so. They can handle multiple hours of borders/static images with no ill effects.
The image retention from such viewing (if my TV is any indication), will only be visible on white screens and generally won't last longer than a few minutes.

- Beginner's guide to picture calibration at Televisioninfo.com.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

If it were me, I'd get a 65" of this baby: Samsung PN65F8500.
With a peak brightness of over 200cd/M2, it can handle windows facing it and sports with high amounts of white (hockey, curling).
And burn-in hasn't been an issue these last three years or so. They can handle multiple hours of borders/static images with no ill effects.
The image retention from such viewing (if my TV is any indication), will only be visible on white screens and generally won't last longer than a few minutes.

- Beginner's guide to picture calibration at Televisioninfo.com.

I think that TV might be out of my reach by a few hundred dollars. Looks really nice, though. :)

On the other hand the dealer where I bought my Monitor Audio speakers and other stereo equipment might give a bit of a deal so I could try that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cherokee Jack posted:

I think that TV might be out of my reach by a few hundred dollars. Looks really nice, though. :)

On the other hand the dealer where I bought my Monitor Audio speakers and other stereo equipment might give a bit of a deal so I could try that.

Sorry, I didn't check the price at all. v:downs:v

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I hate to do this because I'm sure tons of people come in here asking, but I'm in need of a TV:

-< $500 budget
-SmartTV preferred (HBO Go, Netflix, Wifi 802.11n (or even 802.11ac))
-40" or so

I would just go off Wirecutter's recommendations but they haven't updated their article in a couple months.

ooms
Dec 9, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I hate to do this because I'm sure tons of people come in here asking, but I'm in need of a TV:

-< $500 budget
-SmartTV preferred (HBO Go, Netflix, Wifi 802.11n (or even 802.11ac))
-40" or so

I would just go off Wirecutter's recommendations but they haven't updated their article in a couple months.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M401i-A3-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00CI3BP06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374369502&sr=8-1&keywords=m401i-a3

You won't get HBO Go on any TV other than Samsung.
That will be about the best TV you will get for $500.

If you have a Costco near you i'd get it there as you will get a 1+1 year warranty when you buy it there.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Sorry, I didn't check the price at all. v:downs:v

That's okay, I forgot to include a stand for a TV in my budget. :downs:

Stupid plasma question, and it's probably paranoia, but does burn-in/image retention not become a thing after a) a couple hundred hours and/or b) keeping contrast low?

I probably wouldn't be acting this stupid if I wasn't spending $2000+ on a TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cherokee Jack posted:

Stupid plasma question, and it's probably paranoia, but does burn-in/image retention not become a thing after a) a couple hundred hours and/or b) keeping contrast low?

No, it's a fair question. If I were spending double what I did, I'd want to be as absolutely sure as possible what to expect.
As far as I understand it, image retention isn't affected by "break-in" (I don't believe in it without scientific proof; these things look great out of the box) when it comes to onset time or fading; only the length of time a static image has been left on the screen.

Related anecdote from CNET on the 2012 TVs- including mine :smug:: Cnet's accidental plasma burn-in test.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 21, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ooms posted:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M401i-A3-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00CI3BP06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374369502&sr=8-1&keywords=m401i-a3

You won't get HBO Go on any TV other than Samsung.
That will be about the best TV you will get for $500.

If you have a Costco near you i'd get it there as you will get a 1+1 year warranty when you buy it there.

If I removed the SmartTV requirement, does that change anything? Why a LED over a Plasma (tons of AV nerds are adamant that Plasma has superior video quality and is cheaper).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

If I removed the SmartTV requirement, does that change anything? Why a LED over a Plasma (tons of AV nerds are adamant that Plasma has superior video quality and is cheaper).

If you want a plasma at $500, you'll pretty much have to remove the Smart requirement and be limited to "720p" (1366x768, (maybe- manufacturer's own websites are very evasive on this issue except for ->) or even 1024x768 :wtc: :pwn: :wtf:

Wait. They're still loving making them in this resolution?
What. The. FUUUCK.

If you want the best out of True HD™ content, I'd go with native 1080p LCD panels over downscaled "720p" images any day.

ooms
Dec 9, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

If you want a plasma at $500, you'll pretty much have to remove the Smart requirement and be limited to "720p" (1366x768, (maybe- manufacturer's own websites are very evasive on this issue except for ->) or even 1024x768 :wtc: :pwn: :wtf:

Wait. They're still loving making them in this resolution?
What. The. FUUUCK.

If you want the best out of True HD™ content, I'd go with native 1080p LCD panels over downscaled "720p" images any day.

Adding to this.

Yes you could get a slightly better picture out of a plasma with a budget like you have.
But you would have to be in a light controlled room.

$529 http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51e450/4505-6482_7-35169613.html

The bad: The image washes out quite a bit in normal room lighting. The picture processing suffers from poor compatibility with 24p and 1080i material, and this could be symptomatic of the TV's low 720p resolution. Color accuracy is fairly poor.

So you end up with
-51 inch
-no smart
-bad normal light viewing

Cnet hasn't reviewed the sub 50 inch Vizio TVs, but everyone on AVSforum loves them.

Cherokee Jack posted:

The plasma burn-in/IR after break in isn't true, breaking in plasma is to age the panel evenly and quicker.

I had that same paranoia, but I got the 64F8500 and my girl loves to leave it on at night (on nick at night) and I haven't had a single problem with any IR even after 7 hours of that orange logo being there. So it seems Samsung kept up what they had going on last year with their +60 inch plasma.

If anyone is trying to get that Plasma send me a PM i'll scan my receipt from best buy. Maybe they'll price match.
I paid $2497 and was told when price matching they don't honor the free sound bar from Samsung, so I emailed best buy and got a code for $200. So all in all I got that TV for $2297.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Posted a few pages ago but didn't get a reply. Short version:

Getting a new flatscreen TV soon. We do a lot of heavy game-playing, and I tend to play games where input lag can be a big factor (fighting games, rhythm games). I measured the wall space available and something between 45-50" would be a great size. I'm trying to do my research to find the best mix of size, lag time, and price.

Found these on Amazon (both 46"):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRXJC
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074FGP4Y

I think I'm on the right path here. Can anyone make some more recommendations?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I am mulling over a LG 55LA6900 or a 55LA7400. Anyone own one of these?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

No, it's a fair question. If I were spending double what I did, I'd want to be as absolutely sure as possible what to expect.
As far as I understand it, image retention isn't affected by "break-in" (I don't believe in it without scientific proof; these things look great out of the box) when it comes to onset time or fading; only the length of time a static image has been left on the screen.

Related anecdote from CNET on the 2012 TVs- including mine :smug:: Cnet's accidental plasma burn-in test.

ooms posted:

The plasma burn-in/IR after break in isn't true, breaking in plasma is to age the panel evenly and quicker.

I had that same paranoia, but I got the 64F8500 and my girl loves to leave it on at night (on nick at night) and I haven't had a single problem with any IR even after 7 hours of that orange logo being there. So it seems Samsung kept up what they had going on last year with their +60 inch plasma.

Thanks guys. A lot of help and a lot more reasonable than OMG YOU HAVE TO RUN SLIDES FOR 200 HOURS OR ELSE. Especially since I found out recently that the "running slides" thing is for when you're paying someone $300 to calibrate it.

I do want to get some calibration blu-rays but I probably won't ever get it calibrated professionally because I'm rural. Plus, you know, 300 bucks.

And stupid question #2: I've got a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 and it can do its own gamma and what not for video feeds. Never used any of the features with my RPTV because basically it didn't play nice with it (you had to turn every video setting off or it looked like rear end). Should I do the same with a plasma, that is let the TV do its thing? Or are there benefits from having an A/V receiver doing something?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I also posted a few pages ago, am still searching, and am in a similar boat as DizzyBum. I'll mainly be playing games, streaming movies, and watching videos from my PC. I'd like the display to be 120Hz and to have local dimming, and while I don't care much about 3D, I figure I should get it since I won't be replacing the TV any time soon (passive preferred). The fiancee really wants 46-47" but will do 50" if necessary. Given all that, there seem to be very few reasonable options. The two main ones I've found are:

Samsung UN46F6400: Seems like a decent choice, though with active 3D unfortunately. Reviews are hard to find.

LG 47LA6900: Also seems decent and has passive 3D, but this review says it has bad motion blur in game mode. Don't know if that site is trustworthy but there aren't other reviews to compare.

If we have to do 50", I'm wondering if the Panasonic S64 plasma is the best option. The display is worse than the ST60, but that one's off the table due to the input lag. It will probably look better than the two LEDs above at night, but our living room is mostly windows and gets very bright and very hot during the day, so maybe a plasma isn't worth it if we can't get the absolute best.

I don't know, I wish CNet wasn't so slow to review this year's models so I could have a better basis of comparison.

ooms
Dec 9, 2009

Cherokee Jack posted:

Thanks guys. A lot of help and a lot more reasonable than OMG YOU HAVE TO RUN SLIDES FOR 200 HOURS OR ELSE. Especially since I found out recently that the "running slides" thing is for when you're paying someone $300 to calibrate it.

I do want to get some calibration blu-rays but I probably won't ever get it calibrated professionally because I'm rural. Plus, you know, 300 bucks.

And stupid question #2: I've got a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 and it can do its own gamma and what not for video feeds. Never used any of the features with my RPTV because basically it didn't play nice with it (you had to turn every video setting off or it looked like rear end). Should I do the same with a plasma, that is let the TV do its thing? Or are there benefits from having an A/V receiver doing something?

There will always be a debate on slides vs varying content on full screen with no black bars for the first 100-200 hours.

If you wanted to get it professionally calibrated your location isn't really a factor. All of the best calibrators will come to you. It's like $400-$450.

I've been happy with the Disney WOW disks

I'm only at like 80 hours.

About the receiver I don't have a clue, I would like to know also since I could tweak some of the settings on my SR7008.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, I suppose I should look into calibration -- I've been loving around with settings trying to get good black & white levels, but haven't quite been able to get both at the same time. And running the calibration wizard turns the whole thing sepia. :psyduck:

I'm kind of bummed out that the only minijack audio output seems to assume it'll only be used with non-HDMI connections. I have a set of old PC speakers that would likely be better than than the ratty TV audio but the TV stubbornly refuses to output to it. One of these cases where having a "smart" TV assumes everything will communicate through HDMI CEC and thus hides a bunch of useful options.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Mister Macys posted:

"OLED"

Organic Light-Emitting Diode televisions are coming... by the end of June! High failure rates and low yields of imperfection-free panels have stunted mass production until now, but they have the potential to eclipse all television technology types- in all areas. Resolution, contrast levels, energy efficiency, colour accuracy, thinness. OLED is the current holy grail technology of television R&D.
Car type: The White Star, the X-Wing Fighter, and Marty's time-travelling Delorean... in one. :kamina:

Any update on this?

e: Here's one for 10k
http://www.powersellernyc.com/Catalog/View/123820.html

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 23, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ ^ ^ Err, that's not OLED, that's LED. There are no 4K OLED displays at this time.

Got fifteen grand? :q:

Hitting Best Buys in all major shipping cities in the next few weeks.

quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/lgs-curved-oled-tv/

Remember that curved OLED HDTV that LG was teasing way back at CES? Well, it's just begun shipping here in the US. A Best Buy store in Richfield, Minnesota is the first retailer to stock the 55-inch set, which is available beginning today for just shy of 15 grand. It's due to hit Magnolia stores at select Best Buys in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle and San Antonio over the next few weeks. The curved design is intended to provide a more immersive experience for viewers, though $14,999 is a bit too steep any way you look at it. Samsung, meanwhile, has a curved 55-incher of its own -- that OLED screen arrived in Korea late last month, and is rolling out to (very) select US retailers this week, too.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 23, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Well, figure it couldn't hurt to ask, as at worst I'll either get no advice or laughed at for not knowing poo poo.

I currently have a this 40" for my bedroom and just moved into a new apartment where I... have a living room now, so I'd really like something to put out there so I can actually use the room.

I'd like it to be a bit bigger; 45"+ definitely, maybe over 50".

I don't know if this needs to be said, but the whole "Smart TV" thing seems really dumb to me. I use an HTPC for watching anything. I don't have cable or want built in on demand.

So I have an HTPC, 360, (both HDMI) and also a Dreamcast (uses VGA) and N64 (S-Video), Wii (Component). However I also have a Hauppauge (HDMI) which is used for recording any of those and will upscale/output them to HDMI so inputs aren't as big a deal. (Technically I don't have this for VGA yet--but there are relatively cheap options so if my TV doesn't VGA, it's not the worst thing in the world). At most I need 2 HDMI ports and nothing else, TECHNICALLY. I'd just have to do a bit of cord juggling. But the more the better, and having VGA or S-Video is always a convenience plus.

On the budget end... well, that's where I need the advice I get. I am looking super cheap. $700 is about my max, but I'd love something under $500.

I feel like when I go onto sites like Best Buy or even Newegg, that I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of "quality" since 90% of everything seems like dumb marketing bullshit. So any pointers on that poo poo if you can't just tell me "buy this" are also appreciated.

Thanks goons.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I need someone with more wisdom and knowledge than me to tutor me.
So, I'd like to jump on the HDTV bandwagon: I don't watch TV, I'd like to watch serials or anime on it while working out or on the stationary bike, and I'd like to use it as a monitor. Probably it's a bad idea, so I'll compromise for pc gaming and no general surfing usage (I guess I'd bleed my eyes out anyway). No consoles. Also, it isn't rare for me or my sister to play for longer than 3-4 hours, which makes me wary about plasmas (but to be honest, I really don't know if IR is a real problem nowadays).
That being said, I'm going to watch the TV at about 3.5 meters / 11 feet, so I was looking for 47''+ TVs.

Well, what should I be looking for? I wouldn't want to go past 1000€.
Sadly:
- the Sony W6 series, which is pretty good for gaming, doesn't go past 42''
- any Sony W9 costs too much
- the Panasonic ST60 series has too much IL
- I can't find around here the Samsung E6500 nor the LED F5000 series

what else... I dunno. So, stop me from doing a stupid purchase (I' was even considering a projector!).
What should I be looking for? I read the old ST50 was pretty much what I wanted, too bad I can't find any around here.

Char fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 24, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Have you considered getting a tablet and a bracket to mount it on your bike?

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Actually, I... err... no, I didn't, and it's a good idea, I even have a tablet.

But it doesn't seem as practical, a HDTV would cover more bases.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
A TV is more of a communal device and a tablet is a personal device. I only suggested it because it didn't sound like you were using a TV for typical TV things. Be careful using a TV as a computer monitor as it might have 4:2:0 chroma subsampling instead of 4:4:4 which may or may not make certain things (text especially) look blurred. This might not be an issue with current models. Here's a bunch of nerd poo poo about it. If you're just using it for games/video it won't matter. I can't tell you anything useful about different TVs, so really I've been no help to you at all!

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah I know I want a big monitor rather than a TV, that's why I'll have to compromise and avoid reading wikipedia entries on it. Playing games and watching stuff is more canonical and I'll stick to that.

Still, it sucks that after my first analysis of the market, there's no clear winners - no, even worse, my winner is from 2012, no shop stocks it anymore. I can'even find a Panasonic ST50 on eBay! I'm this close to buying a projector and call it a day. If only it didn't have a 200€ fee every year...

Char fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 25, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're budget is in euros... do countries other than G.B. have TV licensing fees? Just curious.

The T posted:

Well, figure it couldn't hurt to ask, as at worst I'll either get no advice or laughed at for not knowing poo poo.

I currently have a this 40" for my bedroom and just moved into a new apartment where I... have a living room now, so I'd really like something to put out there so I can actually use the room.

I'd like it to be a bit bigger; 45"+ definitely, maybe over 50".

I don't know if this needs to be said, but the whole "Smart TV" thing seems really dumb to me. I use an HTPC for watching anything. I don't have cable or want built in on demand.

So I have an HTPC, 360, (both HDMI) and also a Dreamcast (uses VGA) and N64 (S-Video), Wii (Component). However I also have a Hauppauge (HDMI) which is used for recording any of those and will upscale/output them to HDMI so inputs aren't as big a deal. (Technically I don't have this for VGA yet--but there are relatively cheap options so if my TV doesn't VGA, it's not the worst thing in the world). At most I need 2 HDMI ports and nothing else, TECHNICALLY. I'd just have to do a bit of cord juggling. But the more the better, and having VGA or S-Video is always a convenience plus.

On the budget end... well, that's where I need the advice I get. I am looking super cheap. $700 is about my max, but I'd love something under $500.

I feel like when I go onto sites like Best Buy or even Newegg, that I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of "quality" since 90% of everything seems like dumb marketing bullshit. So any pointers on that poo poo if you can't just tell me "buy this" are also appreciated.

Thanks goons.

I'll never laugh at you. :respek: Television displays are an ever-evolving technology platform that updates every year, with at least a dozen major players in the industry; and a dozen more, either building or licensing the tech. One can't be expected to keep up with all of them. Hell, even the top 5 are a pain in the rear end.

If Samsung was any indication, 2011 was the last year companies had VGA ports on their displays ("D" series). S-Video I'm not so sure about; it was rare to begin with. Since it can't actually provide an HD signal, I believe everyone dropped them at least two or three years back. They also eliminated extra RCA composite slots, and reduced it to one or two combined composite/component inputs. As for Smart function, they were added into all mid-range sets last year. This year, displays without Smart will be the exception. The interface isn't mandatory however. From what I've seen, the manufacturers all have a separate button for the Smart UI. I'm headed to bed, but offhand I can recommend last year's Samsung 60Hz 46EH5300 (a friend bought the 50"). That looked pretty good. Panasonic S60 is under $700, and it's plasma. Don't know about the input lag though. Try the Cnet review. G'night.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Saw this 84" LG Ultra HD thing in a store a few months ago. Pretty amazing. It was the equivalent of around $21k. :o

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

You're budget is in euros... do countries other than G.B. have TV licensing fees? Just curious.

Almost every European country has some kind of TV tax.
In Italy we have to pay 130 euros for each household with a TV-equivalent device (monitors, too).

The "projector fee" I was talking about was the lamp. If I chose to buy one, I wouldn't use it for general pc usage. Compromises everywhere!

Char fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 25, 2013

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Char posted:

Almost every European country has some kind of TV tax.
In Italy we have to pay 130 euros for each household with a TV-equivalent device (monitors, too).

The "projector fee" I was talking about was the lamp. If I chose to buy one, I wouldn't use it for general pc usage. Compromises everywhere!
What the gently caress? Is that 130 Euros annually? What's the justification for such a tax?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uranium 235 posted:

What the gently caress? Is that 130 Euros annually? What's the justification for such a tax?

European countries have a lot more public broadcasting, for one.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Uranium 235 posted:

Our public network has 15 channels, of which 5 are HD. That's a lot of wages.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Uranium 235 posted:

We pay some of the highest in Denmark - around 300 euros anually. Although people don't get fines or go to jail for not paying it, they do send around inspectors and bug people about not paying, send people threatening letters, etc. It's socialism at its very worst - forcing people to pay for non-essential stuff they didn't even ask for. You can't even skimp by claiming you don't own a TV - if you have an internet connection and computer or a wifi-enabled device of sorts, you also have to pay, because you can see the content online.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_license

Fortunately the public channels are my favorites, are 100% commercial free (very important to me), and some of the only stuff I watch. They're almost mostly in HD and do a god job at sending varied material.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Pilsner posted:

Saw this 84" LG Ultra HD thing in a store a few months ago. Pretty amazing. It was the equivalent of around $21k. :o

Those are sexy. But I saw today that TCL will be selling a 50" for $999 come christmas. Not quite LG and not quite 84" but 4k is coming down . . .

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mister Macys posted:

From what I've seen, the manufacturers all have a separate button for the Smart UI.

Not LG. At least not on my model... Or any recent one that uses the "magic remote". Pretty much everything goes through WiiU style point and click now, though it still has regular IR so any compatible remote will probably work. You can actually turn off the pointer most of the time by just pressing the arrow keys and navigating the old way. However, the remote doesn't have any play/pause/stop/etc. buttons so any Netflix or other streaming apps will kind of suck without a pointer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's a bummer. I haven't had a chance to see the LGii remote yet.

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
Today and tomorrow Best Buy has a 60" Sony HDTV at a huge discount. I saw in the OP that Sony was listed as one of the top brands but that they tend to be overpriced. Is there ANY reason I (or anyone else in the market) shouldn't buy this? $1k is right in the price range I was looking at already.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It doesn't have a smartphone remote app, but when you're getting 60 inches for only a grand, who cares? :asoiaf:

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*
If it's in my budget, is there any reason not to buy the Samsung UN60F8000?
I really like the design, and I'm comfortable with the price - I just worry that for the money I'm missing out on something better.

Cnet review
Amazon

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

So what are the options available to me for screen calibration? I saw the Disney World of Wonder disc mentioned, and it seems to have glowing reviews all around... Is this my best bet for calibrating my LG LED screen on my own? So far the best thing I've done to get better black & white levels was to set local LED dimming... But anything that takes the guesswork out of this crap would be welcome.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

jeaves posted:

If it's in my budget, is there any reason not to buy the Samsung UN60F8000?
I really like the design, and I'm comfortable with the price - I just worry that for the money I'm missing out on something better.

Cnet review
Amazon

I'm in this boat...currently waffling between this and the Sony KDL w900a. The Samsung looks awesome, but the Sony outlet people are willing to go much cheaper and throw in a bunch of perks (free shipping and installation, free warranty, etc.). I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for a week now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jan posted:

So what are the options available to me for screen calibration? I saw the Disney World of Wonder disc mentioned, and it seems to have glowing reviews all around... Is this my best bet for calibrating my LG LED screen on my own? So far the best thing I've done to get better black & white levels was to set local LED dimming... But anything that takes the guesswork out of this crap would be welcome.

AVS Forums' free calibration disc, Avia Guide to Home Theater, or THX-Certified DVD/Blu-Ray movies, which will contain an optimization "guide". There's also model-specific threads on AVSForums.

And if all else fails, Google is your friend. I tried the settings someone posted online for my own TV (I only use them for film), and it seems fine to me so far.