Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I just read World War Z because it was the first thing that caught my eye in the airport book store and i knew it to be a goon favorite. What a loving horrible combination of Military-kill tech fan wankery, racism, misogyny and ultimately boring story telling. The first 150 pages or so held my attention but Christ I've spent days out of the last week in airports and on airplanes and even then this thing could barely hold my attention. This dude also spends pages on acronyms for missile systems and rifles and poo poo but obviously has an old farts ignorant conception of the Internet.

"Whoever could uncover the answer would be the greatest Otaku in Cyber history"

Who loving writes a sentence like that? Cyber history? As opposed to what? The story is about a loving effeminate Japanese nerd who spends hours on the Internet (as if this is exclusive to Japan) and fantasizes about his prostitute neighbor transform into Samurai Ninja warrior in an instant, because you know, Zombies help us discover our warrior natures.

Also if you told me this book had been written by the IDF PR arm Id believe it. Iran has nukes and they use them on Pakistan. Israel allows Palestinians to immigrate en masse lol. This dude has a loving child's concept of religion and geopolitics. He has a revolutionary guard member express bafflement that their "Muslim brethren" in Pakistan turned on them after helping them and the chapter ends with the guardsman renouncing Islam

Also I'm pretty sure every Indian character has some goofy rear end Punjabi sounding name like "Raj-Singh"

He even includes the whole "french military victories" meme that was popular circa 2002 before we invaded Iraq. What a loving piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

escape artist posted:

I just finished A Song of Ice and Fire, in about two months. It consumed me. I've never even liked the fantasy genre until now. But that was... riveting. A 5,000+ page rollercoaster. Wow.

What the gently caress do I read next?

The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. Now that we've got you, we're not going to let you go.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Philthy posted:

From that era, I would give the nod to the pulp fantasy horror legends (Howard, Lovecraft), that appeared to have the same amount of failure at the time. I may have been a bit spoiled by reading volumes of Lovecraft's letters that contained much of the same goings on. Wealth, poverty, politics, war. It's all there.

I will also be checking out that link provided, thanks.

Edit: Read that fantastic thread. The chapter breakdowns were really well done, and I got a lot more out of it now. I can probably reread it again without any baggage. I feel depressed knowing my schooling didn't have us read anything beyond Poe shorts.

Just a note, most people don't read novels for macro-level historical trends. They read them for characters and how they interact with each other and the world around them.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

escape artist posted:

I just finished A Song of Ice and Fire, in about two months. It consumed me. I've never even liked the fantasy genre until now. But that was... riveting. A 5,000+ page rollercoaster. Wow.

Before ASOIAF the only fantasy I had read (about 15 years before) was LOTR and the original Shannara trilogy. So here are some books that got recommend to me here that I enjoyed:

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Ambercrombie (might be my favorite fantasy outside of ASOIAF)
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss (I haven't read book 2 yet)
The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch (I only enjoyed the first book, but hell it is great)

Also heard good things about The Way of Kings by Sanderson, but I haven't read it yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In recent memory, I've finished:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. A fantastic and moving book.

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. Which is a fairly thoughtful novel that touches on subjects of art and faith and how the title character chooses to reconcile or not reconcile the two.

Picasso at the Lapin Agile and Other Plays by Steve Martin. I got my degree in Theatre. I love reading plays, and these plays were really fun and interesting to read.

Next up, I'm currently reading Theology: The Basics by Alister E. McGrath and Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

escape artist posted:

Name of the Wind, Name of the Wind, Name of the Wind, Name of the Wind.

This series is phenomenal. I'm half way through book 2 and completely enthralled. His writing style is just so welcoming, beautiful, and just perfect.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Name of the Wind, Name of the Wind, Name of the Wind, Name of the Wind.

This series is phenomenal. I'm half way through book 2 and completely enthralled. His writing style is just so welcoming, beautiful, and just perfect.

It's really a shame that the 2nd part of the 2nd book and certain characters are extremely bad, stupid and annoying. Sure, his prose is good, but the quality of the story goes so fast downhill I'm not sure if it's a good idea recommending either book.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

It's really a shame that the 2nd part of the 2nd book and certain characters are extremely bad, stupid and annoying. Sure, his prose is good, but the quality of the story goes so fast downhill I'm not sure if it's a good idea recommending either book.

That wasn't nice.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I just finished reading Watership Down last night, and I don't have much to say about it because it's just such a wonderful, simple book. I loved it! Adams achieves some really great characterizations without falling prey to sentimental anthropomorphism like you see in other environmentally-minded stories (and I was impressed with how Adams's clear environmentalism didn't overpower the story itself). In all, I don't think I've read a book with as much broad appeal as this one - it offers something for readers of all tastes and reading levels, which impressed me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Qwo posted:

I just finished reading Watership Down last night, and I don't have much to say about it because it's just such a wonderful, simple book. I loved it! Adams achieves some really great characterizations without falling prey to sentimental anthropomorphism like you see in other environmentally-minded stories (and I was impressed with how Adams's clear environmentalism didn't overpower the story itself). In all, I don't think I've read a book with as much broad appeal as this one - it offers something for readers of all tastes and reading levels, which impressed me.

In the spirit of "If you enjoyed this", you might want to give Garry Kilworth's House of Tribes a shot. It's in a similar vein, but with mice instead of rabbits and less mysticism. Bonus marks awarded for guessing when and where it's set.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Geniasis posted:

In recent memory, I've finished:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. A fantastic and moving book.

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. Which is a fairly thoughtful novel that touches on subjects of art and faith and how the title character chooses to reconcile or not reconcile the two.

Picasso at the Lapin Agile and Other Plays by Steve Martin. I got my degree in Theatre. I love reading plays, and these plays were really fun and interesting to read.

Next up, I'm currently reading Theology: The Basics by Alister E. McGrath and Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Just finished reading Theology: The Basics by Alister E. McGrath. It was a pretty good, if barebones introduction to Christian theology. Nothing I didn't already know, but it did a pretty good job covering the basics. You'll want to look elsewhere for anything in-depth though.

Still reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and I'm about to start Red
by John Logan.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

TraderStav posted:

That wasn't nice.

I'd say it isn't nice to recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles to someone who's only read ASOIAF. The first book is fun enough (if repetitive), but the second book is pretty bad and the world-building is nothing compared to GRRM's Westeros.

My favorite fantasy series include The First Law, which was mentioned above, and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams. (As an earlier fantasy work, it tends to be a little more predictable, but I like the characters and writing.)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think he was upset of some one specifically spoilering the tone of second book that he clearly said he was halfway through. It was a dick thing to do.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 28, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Chamberk posted:

I'd say it isn't nice to recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles to someone who's only read ASOIAF. The first book is fun enough (if repetitive), but the second book is pretty bad and the world-building is nothing compared to GRRM's Westeros.

My favorite fantasy series include The First Law, which was mentioned above, and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams. (As an earlier fantasy work, it tends to be a little more predictable, but I like the characters and writing.)

I will grant you that the series lacks the epic nature of ASoIaF but OP said he was new to fantasy. Rothfuss's books are just plain fun and great. You may also disagree with other recommendations like The Iron Druid series but those are great to read in between books of the WoT series and other more epic stuff.

I thought he'd like it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Oh, I've definitely read worse. Rothfuss is a good writer, but the books' pacing drives me mad.

I finished Nicholas Nickleby this week. It's a good one, right in the middle of the Dickens books I've read. The plot was mostly incidental, but the characters are as lively as ever. Dickens books are thick bricks that are good for a long chunk of time, and I love 'em. I'll try Little Dorrit in the winter.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013
Just finished Magician's End by Raymond E. Fiest. Interesting end for a 20 odd book series.. It felt a bit over hyped story wise but overall I was happy with it!

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Just read The Final Empire, the first book in the Mistborn series. While it was a nice read I hate the way it ended. Literally the last few phrases ruined so much.

Massive spoilers about the ending!

Just as you see Vin evolve into this great mistborn who killed the lord ruler, and the skaa finally rising in the streets, the book ends saying that for whatever reason they gave the kingdom to Elend (actually does not state the reason...just jumps to the part where he is king), an underdeveloped side character.
The worst thing is that literally the last few phrases of the book say how Elend hugs Vin and how that was all she really ever wanted. To be held. After killing the lord ruler, the sliver of infinity, god on earth, and bitching about trust issues for half of the book. All she ever really wanted...was to be held

Grogsy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 28, 2013

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Grogsy posted:

Just read The Final Empire, the first book in the Mistborn series. While it was a nice read I hate the way it ended. Literally the last few phrases ruined so much.

Massive spoilers about the ending!

Just as you see Vin evolve into this great mistborn who killed the lord ruler, and the skaa finally rising in the streets, the book ends saying that for whatever reason they gave the kingdom to Elend (actually does not state the reason...just jumps to the part where he is king), an underdeveloped side character.
The worst thing is that literally the last few phrases of the book say how Elend hugs Vin and how that was all she really ever wanted. To be held. After killing the lord ruler, the sliver of infinity, god on earth, and bitching about trust issues for half of the book. All she ever really wanted...was to be held

Getting over those trust issues is a pretty standard resolution to her character development arc in that book. It's great that she learned how to fly and kill people, but there was more going on.

It doesn't need to be taken so literally, though. About the general direction of the sequels, there's more action, politics, and worldbuilding than romance and Vin remains independent.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Getting over those trust issues is a pretty standard resolution to her character development arc in that book. It's great that she learned how to fly and kill people, but there was more going on.

It doesn't need to be taken so literally, though. About the general direction of the sequels, there's more action, politics, and worldbuilding than romance and Vin remains independent.

Just started the second one today and it pulled me right back in. I might have overreacted a bit but i get really involved with characters when I read a book. It's probably why I can't read a "song of ice and fire" books...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Off Armageddon Reef, by David Weber. Weber's always been very hit-and-miss for me, but I enjoyed this one. It's a novel setting, and I enjoy stories set in times of intense technological change, examining to some extent the relationship between technology and society. The villains were more cartoonishly evil than I was expecting, and the good guys are of course as pure as the driven snow and always super-attractive, but most of the characters managed to be likeable and the story pretty interesting. I found the battle sequence where galleys go up against cannon-armed galleons in the Age of Sail mold to be downright chilling. I hope the rest of the series holds up and doesn't go into a tailspin up Weber's rear end like the Honor Harrington series did.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
Just finished the trilogy of The Breach, Ghost Country and Deep Sky. The first 2 were OK. Unfortunately, by the last book all pretense of plausibility goes out the window and it just gets stupid. Too bad really - I had high hopes for Patrick Lee but after Deep Sky, I lost interest in any future works of his.

Dr.Casio
Jul 30, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just finished reading this:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds. 4 stars.

A good novel by Reynolds, but probably not one of my favourites by him. I'm always up for an optimistic near-future SF novel (see also: 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson), and the main players all being Africans and Asians was a new and welcome idea (I don't think this book had a single white person, in fact). The future history of Africa's rise to world power was interesting, as were the bits with the elephants.

However, the book kind of lacked the sense-of-wonder I've come to expect from Reynolds*. Even the final reveal was a bit underwhelming by Reynolds' standards, though I'm definitely looking forward to where this series goes from here. Aspects of the ending give me a notion that the alienness and sense-of-wonder I love from Reynolds will be forthcoming in On The Steel Breeze.

* (with a few exceptions in the form of some inventive set-pieces, such as a trip to the underwater city Tiamaat, which might be my favourite SF setting in a while!)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 30, 2013

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Finally finished A Confederacy of Dunces. It wasn't as UPROARIOUSLY HILARIOUS as everyone said it was, but it was very entertaining, if not infuriating at times. So much spergin'.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I don't know if I'm just out of reading practice, or not very clever, or if Blood Meridian just isn't my cup of tea, but I had to actually set it aside for later so I can finally start Neil Gaiman's new book. Maybe I'm just not meant for modern lit fic.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Cassandra Clare, city of something something (the first one).

You know how some books are so bad they're actually painful to read? Yeah. But I kept reading in the hope it would get better. It didn't.

I only got this book because I frequently run out of stuff to read and saw it advertised in a catalogue as "now a film!", or words to that effect. I thought, using some bizarre logic (despite previous evidence, see: Twilight) that if it has been made into a movie there must be something good about it. I was wrong.

Found out later that she wrote The Secret Diaries Lord of the Rings parody which is actually pretty funny. But no way has she got the sort of talent which flies outside of an Internet blog.

Usually if I read a book in a series I'll keep going even if I have to grit my teeth to do so, out of curiosity about what happens in the end. I cannot force myself to read any more of this. I really don't give a drat what happens to the characters, anymore than I worry about what happens to recycled newspaper, they are that flat.

Lots of werewolf on vampire action if you're into that sort of thing though. To sum it up: it's a Mary Sue meets cheap Twilight ripoff. Dreadful. Avoid.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Aliens: Recent Encounters (SF anthology, edited by Alex Dally MacFarlane). 4 stars.

Here's the review I wrote:
----

Aliens — realistically developed, biologically plausible, sentient species — are my absolute favourite element of science fiction. My dream anthology would be a hard-SF-only collection of stories about aliens: their biology, culture, and interactions with humans. Aliens: Recent Encounters (2013), edited by Alex Dally MacFarlane, mixes both hard and soft SF with a smattering of magical realism and mythology, so not every story was to my taste. However, it is still an excellent anthology, thematically strong, while providing lots of variety.

This is a reprint anthology containing 32 short stories, all originally published between 2000 and 2012 (hence the book's subtitle). The editor has done a good job of representing a number of nationalities with her author choices, and the gender balance is good too, with 21 stories by women, 10 by men, and one "neutrois" (neutral-gendered) author. There are a few really big names (i.e.: all the ones on the front cover) but a whole bunch of relative unknowns as well.

The selection of stories is mostly exceptional. These stories provide a huge number of approaches to the idea of humans interacting with aliens, and every couple of stories there'd be another great idea that blew my mind. Some of the most noteworthy inclusions, for me, were:

• "The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species" by Ken Liu - A short piece in the form of a few explanatory passages about how different alien species store information. Solid with ideas, my only complaint is that Liu didn't think up another ten species to flesh this story out with. (The final story in this collection, "A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel" by Yoon Ha Lee, is almost exactly the same idea in the same format, but about various ways and reasons for travelling rather than storing information. It's just as good, and it also could have been longer.)

• "Golubash, or Wine-Blood-War-Elegy" by Catherynne M Valente - A history of war and planetary colonisation told through a wine tasting session. The wines themselves are alien, despite being made from Earth grapes, and you'll find out why. Sounds delicious, though.

• "Seasons of the Ansarac" by Ursula K Le Guin - A brilliant piece from this master of anthropological SF, about an alien culture whose life cycle has evolved around its mass migrations, and the fragility of the culture when it comes into contact with other races. Touching and bittersweet. I went and ordered her collection Changing Planes as soon as I finished this story.

• "Carthago Delenda Est" by Genevieve Valentine - At first I didn't get the ending, but when I dug back through this layered, complex story I realised how clever it is. Humanity is just one of many species forced to put war aside and coexist in the prolonged wait for an unprecedented galactic event. The story focuses on the turmoil and rivalry between the leaders of several factions, many of whom are clones.

• "The Beekeeper" by Jamie Barras - In a universe where technology, including spaceships, is grown, a scientific team returns to a world that had been previously seeded with a garden to grow such things, as well as homunculi to tend the garden. Of course, the team runs into danger. This story had a killer twist that had me grinning as I read the final pages, then immediately go look Barras up online to find out what else he'd written.

• "Noumenon" by Robert Reed - An episode set in Reed's Great Ship universe (Marrow et al), this story has me wanting to read the novels and other stories in that setting. Reed seems to like playing with the concept of worlds within worlds, and he brings a technological twist to that idea in this story. Keep on going through the seemingly unrelated sections about an alien creature, it all ties together in the end.

• "Honey Bear" by Sofia Samatar - What starts off as a simple enough story about family strife turns creepy and weird when you figure out what's going on. A very dark story which explores ways our lives might be forced to change when aliens take over earth. It incorporates some elements from faerie mythology, but don't expect Tinkerbell. (There are a couple of other great, similarly unsettling stories about cooperation between humans and aliens in this anthology: "muo-ka's Child" by Indrapramit Das, and "Jagannath" by Karin Tidbeck.)

• "Knacksack Poems" by Eleanor Arnason - No humans at all in this story! Just an excellent fable-like recount of a poet's adventures in a somewhat medieval setting. The SF twist? These creatures are much like the Tines in Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep, in that they are composed of multiple organisms and share a group mind. This story was funny and engrossing.

• "My Mother, Dancing" by Nancy Kress - This story is set in a far future when Fermi (and his famous paradox about the lack of alien life in the universe) is now the basis of a religion. It tells of the interactions between human missionaries spreading eukaryotic life throughout the universe, and some of their creations, who have a unique problem that might be too much for the humans to comprehend.

There are a number of other stories I really liked (the majority of the remaining 20) but I won't describe every single story in this review. There are, though, some stories I wasn't greatly enthused about.

Sadly, one of them was the contribution by Alastair Reynolds. Reynolds is one of my very favourite SF authors but I felt that his story in this anthology, "For the Ages", was rather lacklustre. He has other short stories that are far more suited to the alien theme, considering that this story doesn't even feature aliens directly, but rather tackles the idea of how to send a message to hypothetical aliens in the future.

I also wasn't captivated by Caitlνn R Kiernan's "I am the Abyss, I am the Light", which includes a lot of alien biology but whose main character isn't very sympathetic in wanting to eschew her humanity; nor did "The Forgotten Ones" by Karin Lowachee interest me, as it seemed to be rather heavy-handedly trying to Say Something Important about the effects of colonialism. "Shallot" by Samantha Henderson and "Test of Fire" by Pervin Saket both relied pretty heavily on allusions of the literary and mythological variety, respectively, so maybe it's my fault for not really understanding them, but I didn't get much out of them either.

The story that made me roll my eyes and go "so what?" the most was "Honorary Earthling" by Nisi Shawl. Oh yes, I'm sure it's a very important story about race in America and yada yada yada, but the postmodern style (incorporating transcripts, articles, blog posts and one-sided conversations) did absolutely nothing for me and I struggled to find any kind of science fiction aspect to the story at all. It seemed to be much more about ghosts, although there was a throwaway line about aliens, but that just wasn't enough to warrant its inclusion in this collection (in my opinion).

Those few less-than-great stories aside, there is so much here that is worth the anthology's price. For any fan of aliens in science fiction, you can't go wrong.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Dirty_Moses posted:

I don't know if I'm just out of reading practice, or not very clever, or if Blood Meridian just isn't my cup of tea, but I had to actually set it aside for later so I can finally start Neil Gaiman's new book. Maybe I'm just not meant for modern lit fic.

Have you read any McCarthy before? I had read a handful before I started Blood Meridian and while it prepared me for his style, I still found BM to be tough to get through. Rewarding, though, I did love it even while struggling with it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Uh, I wouldn't write off the entirety of modern lit fic just because you can't get into Blood Meridian. It's notoriously dense and challenging.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
If you want an entry point into McCarthy, read The Road.* It is simultaneously as dense as anything you'll find and as accessible as YA fiction.

* then read his other stuff. Then re-read The Road.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

DirtyRobot posted:

If you want an entry point into McCarthy, read The Road.* It is simultaneously as dense as anything you'll find and as accessible as YA fiction.

I would say No Country... is an even easier read, but then again it's basically a movie treatment, so...

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I recently finished This Is How You Die: Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death, and it's fantastic. I was apprehensive about a book of short stories by different authors all predicated on the same narrative conceit, but this is really just an excellent read. Maybe one or two of the stories are duds, but the rest are all great, and run the gamut from funny to heartbreaking to philosophical. Highly recommended.

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
Ive just finished books 3(Whispers Under Ground) and 4(Broken Homes) of the Rivers of London series. I grabbed the first book while killing time in a waterstones and the cover intrigued me and couldn't put it down, there pretty easy going and had me laughing out loud in places.

I missed book 3 when it came out and only remembered i hadn't read it when i saw book 4 on pre-order and had to scramble to catch up.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Romulus Buckle and the City of the Founders (Richard Ellis Preston Jr.)

There was an interview with the author in July's Clarkesworld, the book looked interesting and on Kindle it was only 2.99 so I checked it out.

I think people who are steampunk fans will really love it, I thought it was a slow start but it picked up well later on in the book, and I enjoyed it enough that I'll be getting the next book in the series.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Most recently finished was Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. It focuses on the formation of the fundamentalist sects of the Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) due to the decree of polygamy by Joseph Smith. This is discussed in tandem with the retelling and investigation of the murder of a woman and her toddler, who were in a FLDS family with some pretty crazy relatives. The two are interwoven, and it starts with background on the murder and the convicted murderers (who were her brothers-in-law) and with the birth of the LDS faith. Quite a good read, I'm always a fan of Krakauer.

Next in the queue is a double of Reza Aslan's works, No god but God and Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. I listened to his NPR interview and was intrigued, and then saw the hoopla on Fox News, so I had to pick up both. At some point I will finish And the Band Played On and The Presidents Club as I'm halfway through each.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

John Ringo's Choosers of the Slain

God drat John Ringo, you are a weird guy. For anyone who isn't familiar with his non-scifi, they're pretty much Die Hard mixed with 50 Shades of Grey. Except all the sex involves girls between the ages of 16-25 sleeping with the 50 yr old protagonist. I love reading these books and cringing at all the ridiculous and perverted fantasies Ringo works in. These are my pulpy summer reads, books I don't have to pay attention to, books I can groan about, books that make me laugh at how loving weird Ringo is.

There used to be a really good Ringo/Kildair thread with some choice passages, if you can find it you will be drawn into reading these train wrecks.

No
Sep 13, 2006

escape artist posted:

I am literally exactly here. Finished the fan-made combination of the last two books (A Ball of Beasts) just this morning and I just picked up Catherynne Valente's Deathless on a friend's recommendation. It feels almost unsettling to no longer be reading about Westeros.

I think I'm good for reading a series or anything fantasy for a while, but yeah. What a ride.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Just finished the newly released sequel to Libriomancer called Codex Born.

It's an urban fantasy novel set in Michigan and the thing about it is that the main character - and others - are able to use magic to reach into books and pull out various objects from it. For example, the main character is a big SiFi nerd, so he would pick up a space opera book and pull out a laser gun or what have you. Hell, in the first one, the guy actually creates a lightsaber from one of the Star Wars novels and uses it to decapitate a vampire.

I really liked this one. It felt a little more epic this time. The main character and his other allies have to defend a town from magically created and controlled animals and bugs that were made out of metal. We also get to see more of this shadowy ghost army that are lurking behind the scenes.

Although, the ending also made me kinda sad; the hero's magic gets taken away from him. He had exerted himself just a little bit too much, and in an effort to preserve what little sanity he had left, the leader of the organization of magic users he belonged to had to seal away his ability to use magic. This made me sad because I've followed the character up this far and it's only really the second book in a relatively new series and I've grown to like the character and have watched him grow as a character and it would be sad to see him go.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I just finished A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. For the most part it's pretty good book, but It makes me wonder how a professional writer can write such awkward, fragmented sentances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost itM
Apr 22, 2009
I just finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. I enjoyed that he subverted the readers expectation on the lengh of the story ark (there are pages left when the main storyark is done) by adding the part about the author in "our" world trying to deal with the fact that his fictional caracters came to life.

Next will be Daemon by Daniel Suarez.