Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The rule is that becoming a vampire traps the soul, so Durkon's soul is still in his body, and is still Lawful Good and will go to the LG afterlife if the body is killed, but Durkula the entity is Lawful Evil. Remember, Malack said that if he were resurrected, he would become his pre-vampire self. I think his soul is destroyed because he was killed by sunlight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brannock posted:

Wouldn't this mean Durkon is in the afterlife, and Vampire Durkon isn't actually Durkon anymore?

It would depend on if Burlew goes with the soulless or corrupted soul angle for his version of vampires.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brannock posted:

Wouldn't this mean Durkon is in the afterlife, and Vampire Durkon isn't actually Durkon anymore?

In D&D lore, it's often indicated that becoming undead prevents one from reaching the afterlife, meaning in most cases undead have souls. In some cases (especially liches) undead very explicitly have souls. Only the mindless types are represented as being soulless.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Durkon can't be in the afterlife, because he asked the Oracle how he would return and the answer was posthumously.

If he is in the afterlife, then he's going to visit it as a ghost like Roy did or get resurrected there. But I don't think Rich would go this route because it'd be so obvious.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
When V reanimated the dragon's head to taunt her with the familicide spell, her soul was sucked from the afterlife and into her undead form. That would seem to imply that the undead body contains the soul in OOTSverse, though of course Rich will bend that rule however he likes if it adds more drama to the piece.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Vaarsuvius reanimated the dragon head in #639 using Create Greater Undead, which produces undead of at least 6 INT. The wiki says nothing about them having any memories of their previous life/soul, but if we went entirely by D&D rules this comic would've been 300 pages long and only fun to sperglords/GitP forum members.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hmm, that is interesting in malack's case. Does his intial "live" soul go somewhere, or would the "vampiric" soul go to Nergal?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

TunaSpleen posted:

Vaarsuvius reanimated the dragon head in #639 using Create Greater Undead, which produces undead of at least 6 INT. The wiki says nothing about them having any memories of their previous life/soul, but if we went entirely by D&D rules this comic would've been 300 pages long and only fun to sperglords/GitP forum members.

There's one line in there that implies the dragon does remember her life (and brief afterlife). Of course it could also be that V's necromancer-splice had researched a unique form of undead that traps souls so that she could continue to torment them after killing them. It's the sort of thing an epic evil necromancer would do.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure there's only one soul. And when an undead it created, the soul is bound to it. In the case of a mindless undead, the soul is still there -- just a prisoner, fueling the animation of its corpse, but unable to control it. At least that's how I've always seen it used in my own anecdotal experience of D&D play. The fact that if someone has been turned into a mindless undead, the undead still needs to be destroyed for resurrection to be possible ("You can resurrect [...] someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed"; even true resurrection requires undead to be destroyed first despite not requiring any form of remains).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That's why the undead are an abomination, (as opposed to making bone golems out of someone, which is just rude) because it does warp the soul and nature of a person. There isn't some good Durkon floating about the afterlife enjoying beers. Durkon is right there, an evil monster doing the bidding of a different evil monster. And now he's going to go back home, and cause the absolute destruction he was prophesied to cause.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

greatn posted:

Don't most evil characters, even high level ones, just turn into slime for low level demons to eat?

I suppose if there were anyone excepted from that it would be high level priests and servants of a particular gawd.

"Be a vampire, or a ghost, or an immortal with a paint-by-numbers portrait in the rec room. Hell, even a brain-in-a-jar, in a pinch. Anything to avoid the Big Fire Below."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0652.html

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

There's one line in there that implies the dragon does remember her life (and brief afterlife). Of course it could also be that V's necromancer-splice had researched a unique form of undead that traps souls so that she could continue to torment them after killing them. It's the sort of thing an epic evil necromancer would do.

Yeah, I just couldn't remember if Haera was epic or not but anyone who's got the gold and XP to burn to create Familicide has clearly got the time on their hands to trap sentient heads for torturing purposes.

edit: okay, all three splices were admitted to be epic in #633

TunaSpleen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 30, 2013

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hmm, that is interesting in malack's case. Does his intial "live" soul go somewhere, or would the "vampiric" soul go to Nergal?

Not sure about D&D specifically but I know a fair few vampire/undead lore systems have a 'redemption in death', where the soul is finally at peace. Putting their soul to rest, as it was. Unless they voluntarily opted to be a vampire, but then that's probably going to make them evil to begin with.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

A long shot for the next comic: Nale grandly announces to Durkon that congratulations, he's free of Malack's thralldom and has his own will back; Durkon says 'thank ye' and kills him.
While I doubt Nale is going to bite it in this chapter, I'm willing to entertain the possibility because I don't know how much more Nale's story has to go. I would expect Elan to be involved in whatever Nale's fate is but now Elan has come to peace with that he's never going to reconcile with his brother, while it is far more likely he will be around until (near) the end, it is plausible Nale's tale could end sooner rather than later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt Nale is going to bite it anytime soon. He's been too built up to be snuffed so easily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume if Nale bit it here Sabine would see to getting that fixed up.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Yes, I expect at least one more appearance of Nale, Sabine and Thog working as a team doing something. But if Rich Burlew wanted to throw in a curveball in by suddenly offing him now, I don't think it would make the story feel incomplete in a significant way.
Edit: Not to say if he doesn't die it would mean he's overstaying his welcome; it would work either way.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I assume if Nale bit it here Sabine would see to getting that fixed up.

She can't if if Nale bit it because Durkula bit him. :unsmigghh:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Durkon bites Nale, makes him HIS vampire thrall.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The thing that stands out to me most about this most recent comic is just how much hatred Nale has for Malack on a personal level. I mean, we've seen Nale do the angry, "The world owes me my due!" villainous monologue schtick before, that's nothing new. But here, look at how emotional he gets as he chews out Malack during the vampire's final moments. Look at the panel with the, "I murdered your children as a practice run," line; he's literally spitting these words at Malack. And the way he's panting at the end, he's actually out of breath. For a guy as long-winded as Nale to be out of breath, after what for him was a relatively short speech... it's kind of scary.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

The thing that stands out to me most about this most recent comic is just how much hatred Nale has for Malack on a personal level. I mean, we've seen Nale do the angry, "The world owes me my due!" villainous monologue schtick before, that's nothing new. But here, look at how emotional he gets as he chews out Malack during the vampire's final moments. Look at the panel with the, "I murdered your children as a practice run," line; he's literally spitting these words at Malack. And the way he's panting at the end, he's actually out of breath. For a guy as long-winded as Nale to be out of breath, after what for him was a relatively short speech... it's kind of scary.

I thought he was out of breath more from beating the poo poo out of Malack with his bare hands.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Colonel Cool posted:

I thought he was out of breath more from beating the poo poo out of Malack with his bare hands.

He didn't, though. He kicked Malack once, and that was more because it helped him rip off Malack's cloak than because it would have done any real harm at this point. Similarly, in the "Now BURN, you insufferable leech!" panel, he's just tearing off Malack's robe, not actually physically striking him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was more that he didn't quite realize/know that Malack would catch fire if he was exposed to the sun, and expected Malack would've attempted to catch him in it too.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

No, I'm with W.T. on this one. This was personal. I wonder what Malack did to Nale...and whether it was real or imagined...that set the time bomb that is Nale's hate ticking. Maybe we'll never know, but I hope we do find out sometime.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wonder if we are going to get a flash back here soon. Some humanizing story of Nale finding a true friend, and that friend getting swept up in...whatever and Malack ate him. Or perhaps one of his Thralls did. Which would have been the same thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I kind of can't believe that we've had nearly three weeks of consistent updates. I hope this trend lasts, knock on wood.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

jng2058 posted:

No, I'm with W.T. on this one. This was personal. I wonder what Malack did to Nale...and whether it was real or imagined...that set the time bomb that is Nale's hate ticking. Maybe we'll never know, but I hope we do find out sometime.

Drakyn posted:

EDIT2: Oh cool, Nale probably hated Malack due to whatever his 'teaching' him entailed. Man, the stuff you forget between months.

Here's a thought: Tarquin and his allies periodically switch partners and kingdoms, right? What if Tarquin switched, but left Nale behind to be raised by Malack for some reason. (Necessary for his next con? To seduce more women? Just because Tarquin is a bastard?) Baby Nale was already snatched away from his mother by Tarquin, and now six year-old Nale is left to be raised by a horrible undead monster; even if Malack tried to be a conscientious parent to Nale and teach him stuff, Nale would probably hella resent it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
But yeah, I think the root lesson here is that even if you're really skilled with magic and have a nice protective spell, you still shouldn't be that cavalier in exposing yourself to something that can utterly destroy you in approximately six seconds. It just opens up possibilities that you probably don't want to face.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So, Going back through the plot with the vampire from the beginning revelation and the knowledge of the posthumously thing.

What happened to Hilgya again? She might actually come back and play a really big role?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know if word of recall is too high level for Malack, and it probably is, but just like mastercard he should never have left home without it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My question here - which I don't think has been brought up before - is "why didn't Malack have an enchanted item with continuous Protection from Daylight?" I haven't played DnD for a while, and I don't know what spell level it would be, but he seems to have access to a massive amount of resources with which to make one. It'd also be less vulnerable to dispel effects (barring something like a Disjunction). If he really wanted to, he could prepare both the spell and use the item in case someone disarmed him of the item (although I imagine "remove an amulet/ring from a vampire" is tricky at best).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pyrolocutus posted:

My question here - which I don't think has been brought up before - is "why didn't Malack have an enchanted item with continuous Protection from Daylight?" I haven't played DnD for a while, and I don't know what spell level it would be, but he seems to have access to a massive amount of resources with which to make one. It'd also be less vulnerable to dispel effects (barring something like a Disjunction). If he really wanted to, he could prepare both the spell and use the item in case someone disarmed him of the item (although I imagine "remove an amulet/ring from a vampire" is tricky at best).

He did, it was the staff, as was explicitly stated in the comic

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pyrolocutus posted:

Making spells into permanent effects is a very limited option in D&D, as in you can't do it unless that specific effect is explicitly listed as being viable for a permanency spell or for magic item creation. Given that "protection from sunlight" is a fictional spell and a very cheesy one (since it entirely nullifies THE drawback of the vampire template) it's easy to assume that it can't be made permanent in any way. Putting spare charges in the staff was the best he could do.

But rest easy - if you want to indict Malack for Crimes Against D&D Common Sense, greatn brought up a much stronger point in that it was completely retarded for him not to prepare word of recall (6th level spell). I can't come up with a justification for that one other than the blanket "it's a comic strip, it doesn't have to be 100% consistent", which isn't really a justification, more like a shrug.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, the staff holds the spell for him to cast, but I think it's more about a ring or whatever that grants him protection as long as he wears it. To which the most realistic answer probably is "because the story demands Nale can kill him here."

But also, presumably after you get turned learning the spell becomes a big priority, after that making a staff is cheaper than making a permanent item so you start with that, and once that has worked for you for 5 to 10 to 100 years you go "eh, this works fine, I can save some cash" and chuck the plans for the permanent enchanted version in the bin.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

For the same reason as every other variant of "Why didn't character X take action Y which would clearly be optimal because :spergin:": the characters in OOTS are not robots and often make poor choices, be it through ignorance, arrogance, or simply panicking in the heat of the moment. Nearly every character in the strip has been guilty of this at some point - I'd argue that the destruction of each gate up to this point has been in large part due to the hubris of its protector - and the strip could barely function as a story if every character behaved optimally.

If you want a more specific reason though, pick one or more from:
* He chose not to take the 'Craft Wondrous Item'/'Forge Ring' feat
* He had his abjuration prepared twice, plus more in his staff, and assumed he was safe
* It's been a very long time since he faced a serious threat, and he got cocky/forgot how vulnerable he actually was

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don't forget assuming Nale would be too stupid to realize what would happen as soon as their mission was done, and even if he did, assuming that Nale would be far too injured to face him in a head-on fight OR Nale would have to contend with Tarquin and his men if he waited to recover.

And apparently never learning how to defend against grappling. (Can you actually learn to? I've never played D&D, so all I know is that grappling is usually far more trouble than it's worth on a meta sense for all parties involved.)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

"Learning to defend against grappling" is basically taking the improved grappling feats. Outside of a few gimmick builds and certain classes (Monks and fighters) there really isn't much of a point of taking it, and even still for Monks and fighters it's only because it's one of their free feat choices. (And most Monks are going to take Stunning Fist)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Besides, you can dispel magic items. It only suppresses them for 1d6 rounds but that's a 84% chance of being sufficient in this case.

And it also puts you at the mercy of a sleight of hand check. A difficult one in the case of a magic ring but for a well trained equal level rogue it'd be possible.

A smart caster would probably put more preparation into this if death was only a single dice roll away but Malack was never put forward as terribly well prepared.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 31, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can't make a wondrous item with a particular magic property, or cast permanency on a spell unless the book says you can. So Protection from Daylight, which is not a book spell, would never work as an enchanted ring.

Malack's real boner here is going to the middle of a desert without preparing word of recall. But hell, he probably did prepare it and had to burn the spell to spontaneously cast harm on himself so he didn't get killed by Durkon earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You can make a magic item that continually casts any spell with a duration.

Anyway, a magic item containing protection from daylight would have the lowest possible caster level to cast that spell at. So since a single dispel puts Malack in such a bad situation, unless he was exactly the level needed to cast PfD and he never planned on getting a new character level ever again, it makes a lot of sense to cast it fresh each day.