Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Anyone know why Shinji's name is written in katakana here? That's a detail I never clocked before.

For those who don't know, which I assume is most people - but you never know in an anime forum - katakana is the alphabet used to spell words and names of foreign origin. But Shinji Ikari obviously isn't a foreign name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It gets used for names sometimes, especially when clarity is important. Name kanji are a ridiculous clusterfuck.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

So they wouldn't just use hiragana instead? My Japanese ain't so hot.

I guess it means nothing then. I have some distant memory of there being something weird about Gendo's name, for example.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe it has to do with the somewhat international nature of NERV?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably more because katakana stand out more from surrounding text. If you play a Super Robot Wars game all the names are in a mix of katakana and kanji.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
All of the characters have katakana given names. AFAIK there's never been official kanji for any of them, even though they're all common Japanese names (even Asuka and Mari :v: )

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

Oh man, these are hilarious. There are definitely a lot more on the perfect collection, though, as I specifically remember a gasaraki trailer as well as this Nadia trailer. Still a great trip down memory lane, though.

Oh drat, you're right there's a ton more, I don't think I ever clicked on that menu other than on the first disc.
Robotech (Can't find the same one on youtube)
Princess Nine (not quite the same version, oh well)
Nadia Secret of Blue Water
ADV Films misc trailer
Samurai X er Rurouni Kenshin (can't find this one either)
Gasaraki
Gunsmith Cats (can't find it)
Farscape Wait...what?

And now I'm tired of looking, but just typing ADV promos into youtube gets some more results.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Mezzanine posted:

All of the characters have katakana given names. AFAIK there's never been official kanji for any of them, even though they're all common Japanese names (even Asuka and Mari :v: )

With Asuka and Mari, it's because they're vaguely foreign. With Shinji and Rei and all, it's so people don't read into name meanings. Especially with Rei, since her name can be read in a whole lot of portentous ways.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
When you're dealing with fiction, rules of use for the different Japanese alphabets tend to fly out of the window.

Yes, generally speaking Kanji is used for "Japanese people/culture/things", but Neo-Tokyo III is really so far removed from actual Japan that it's legitimate to use Katakana for the sense of "exoticness" that it brings. Something that takes place in a fictional modern/feudal Japan might get Kanji used depending on how much the writers want them to feel like a "period piece", but it's not a rule set in stone.

edit: If they had wanted to use Kanji names instead, pronounication wouldn't be a problem, because they would also include furigana somewhere to indicate how the Kanji names are supposed to be pronounced.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 24, 2013

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Six pages late for the disciple/apostle chat, but I didn't see it mentioned that in the Japanese version the Angels are actually called Apostles. Thought that was interesting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

a kitten posted:

Oh drat, you're right there's a ton more, I don't think I ever clicked on that menu other than on the first disc.
Robotech (Can't find the same one on youtube)
Princess Nine (not quite the same version, oh well)
Nadia Secret of Blue Water
ADV Films misc trailer
Samurai X er Rurouni Kenshin (can't find this one either)
Gasaraki
Gunsmith Cats (can't find it)
Farscape Wait...what?

And now I'm tired of looking, but just typing ADV promos into youtube gets some more results.
Here's Gunsmith Cats (from VHS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hq0V1RMpkE&t=105

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hq0V1RMpkE&t=105s

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I really like that Gunsmith Cats tune.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Vermain linked to this gargantuan academic analysis of Eva in the Pacific Rim thread: http://members.efn.org/~dredmond/GV.html

It's not tremendously well-written, but it has a few original insights. I don't know how this one got past me, especially after I started seeing Eva everywhere in Tokyo (see my post a few pages back):

quote:

The pilots of the Eva are enclosed in a shockproof “entry plug” (yet another English neologism) which looks like a guided missile, inserted manually into the Eva. This is the first in a series of quotations from William Gibson’s sci-fi classic Neuromancer; the entry-plug is very much the fusion of the “coffin” hotel Case stays at in Tokyo (the actual term is “capsule hotels”, and though they really are the size of a coffin, many have builtin TVs and alarm clocks), with the cyberspace deck (the Eva pilots wear trodes which enable them to synch their brainwaves to the Eva).

I stayed in a capsule hotel once. The TV had hentai on it.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I'm making my way through the tv series right now. Just finished episode 19. This show has grabbed my attention firmly.
I love the animation of the battles, and I really enjoy the character of Shinji. I found the character insufferable when I was first trying to watch the series partially because I had heard so much poo poo about him, but Anno does a great job of making the viewer (at least this viewer) empathize with Shinji. Like your taking the emotional journey with him.

I had seen episode 18 as a stand alone when I was in middle school, and it still made me cry. Even without knowing the context the voice acting and framing of many of the shots were very moving.

I'm looking back a few pages in the thread, and I'm noticing some dislike for 3.33. I hear the animation is awesome, but people aren't liking the story/potrayal of the characters? Are the films worth watching or is it a vast departure from the series in terms of tone? (I'd watch it for just the animation)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RebBrownies posted:

I'm looking back a few pages in the thread, and I'm noticing some dislike for 3.33. I hear the animation is awesome, but people aren't liking the story/potrayal of the characters? Are the films worth watching or is it a vast departure from the series in terms of tone? (I'd watch it for just the animation)

They're worth watching. Whether the tone of the movies resembles that of the series depends very heavily on how they end, and they haven't ended yet. Given how the series ends a vast departure from the tone of the series might be a good thing, but do you really want me to talk about that if you haven't seen the ending yet?

There are hundreds of pages of conversation about the movies between this thread and the last one, most of it spoiler-ridden. If you want spoilers, read them. If you don't, watch and see for yourself.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 30, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RebBrownies posted:

Definitely watch it, the animation is some of the best ever in my opinion. All the angel battles are different from the series too. Some battles are pretty similar, and others are changed drastically, so it shouldn't feel like re-treading the same ground you just covered. By the end of movie 2.2 we've gone past the timeline of the original series and into a new story/ending. Maybe. It might all be Pen-Pen's dream.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're worth watching. Whether the tone of the movies resembles that of the series depends very heavily on how they end, and they haven't ended yet. Given how the series ends a vast departure from the tone of the series might be a good thing, but do you really want me to talk about that if you haven't seen the ending yet?

There are hundreds of pages of conversation about the movies between this thread and the last one, most of it spoiler-ridden. If you want spoilers, read them. If you don't, watch and see for yourself.

I agree with this. The problem with 3.33 is that we don't have 4.44 yet. It was still a good movie in its own right and honestly just the animation and art itself is worth watching even if you understand absolutely nothing else. The narrative dependence might be a turn off when its considered individually but it was still an intriguing setup. I suggest you finish the series before you start thinking about Rebuild though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I was just looking at this picture, as it's always somewhat puzzled me why Toji and Hikari are in the center of the picture, as opposed to Shinji or whatever.

Then I started noticing the interesting positions of each characters. Like, Misato and Ritsuko are on complete opposite sides of the group, because they're opposite people in almost every aspect of their lives. Same with Misato and Kaji being on the opposite side of the group from Ritsuko and Gendo. There's the younger three NERV people (Hyuga, Ibuki and Aoba) opposite of the older NERV people (Gendo, Yui and Fuyutski). Then there's Asuka and Kensuke, hot-blooded chick as opposed to nerdy loser. And Rei and Kaworu, who are an interesting pair.

But then, there's... Shinji and PenPen??? What does it mean?!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You're misreading it slightly -- Rei, Shinji, Asuka, and Touji are the four Children, so they're grouped together.

The real mystery is why Pen-Pen is grouped with Kaworu, Yui, Gendo, and Ritsuko -- all people who were in on the conspiracy to one degree or another.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly see it more as a representation as to how close Shinji is to all of the others, what with his three love interests, friends, and big-brother/father substitute closest to him, whereas his actual father, NERV, and the alien are much more separated - with Pen-Pen so far out because, aside from being a pet, doesn't have much of any communication or linkage with Shinji.

Or maybe I'm reading entirely too much into this. :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was mostly just trying to make a bad joke about PenPen being the main character or whatever :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I was mostly just trying to make a bad joke about PenPen being the main character or whatever :v:

Yeah, we got that. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

On another note, has Funimation said anything about releasing another set of the series since they got the license? I just decided to look at the Platinum set on Amazon, and holy gently caress am I glad I got it when I did.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

On another note, has Funimation said anything about releasing another set of the series since they got the license? I just decided to look at the Platinum set on Amazon, and holy gently caress am I glad I got it when I did.

Right now they only have the license to the movies (and each movie had to be licensed individually).

I'm sure they want the TV series because a reissue would be a license to print money, but for the near future the tv series is out of print.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Regalingualius posted:

Wow, apparently teenage me was a financial genius. No way I'd buying the Platinum set if I didn't already own it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're misreading it slightly -- Rei, Shinji, Asuka, and Touji are the four Children, so they're grouped together.

The real mystery is why Pen-Pen is grouped with Kaworu, Yui, Gendo, and Ritsuko -- all people who were in on the conspiracy to one degree or another.

PenPen is the key to everything :tinfoil:

But yeah, the Children are grouped together and the unimportant school kids are grouped together; Touji is off center because he happens to be both.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Apart from PenPen (where would you put him at all to begin with?) the groupings and positions honestly make perfect sense to me. A lot of thought went into that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

Apart from PenPen (where would you put him at all to begin with?) the groupings and positions honestly make perfect sense to me. A lot of thought went into that.

It makes sense to me too, it's just for some reason I expect Shinji to be in the center, since he's the protagonist.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Srice posted:

Right now they only have the license to the movies (and each movie had to be licensed individually).

I'm sure they want the TV series because a reissue would be a license to print money, but for the near future the tv series is out of print.

I think the rights to the TV series might still be in some kind legal blackhole as ADV and Gainax were fighting it out in court regarding the live action rights back 2011, which is weird since ADV spun off the rest of their assets into new companies where allowed by contract back in 2009. It's really unclear where Eva TV's right fell in all that between those information points. My bet is that even if ADV isn't an entity in that fight, Gainax will be obnoxious about the how much they want for the TV series. Probably more than it's worth at least. I mean, you can print money, but if it'd be a 300 dollar boxset, that won't fly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

It makes sense to me too, it's just for some reason I expect Shinji to be in the center, since he's the protagonist.

This is Shinji we're talking about, though; his main duty is to be butt of many a meta joke/deconstruction.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Ultraklystron posted:

I think the rights to the TV series might still be in some kind legal blackhole as ADV and Gainax were fighting it out in court regarding the live action rights back 2011, which is weird since ADV spun off the rest of their assets into new companies where allowed by contract back in 2009. It's really unclear where Eva TV's right fell in all that between those information points. My bet is that even if ADV isn't an entity in that fight, Gainax will be obnoxious about the how much they want for the TV series. Probably more than it's worth at least. I mean, you can print money, but if it'd be a 300 dollar boxset, that won't fly.
See Starchild, not Gainax. Studios rarely hold international rights to productions; middleman companies like Starchild, Aniplex, Showgate, etc hold them. Starchild also distributes both the TV series and new theatrical movies in Japan, so they are likely unwilling to license it out at the moment when they can market a 20th anniversary set in a couple of years (perhaps with a BD release alongside 4.44?).

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I recently watched Ideon: Be Invoked, and the (not sure why I'm spoiling this) live-action waves crashing on the rocks at the very end reminded me a lot of the live-action waves crashing on the rocks at the beginning of the Eva films. Coincidence?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Arrowsmith posted:

I recently watched Ideon: Be Invoked, and the (not sure why I'm spoiling this) live-action waves crashing on the rocks at the very end reminded me a lot of the live-action waves crashing on the rocks at the beginning of the Eva films. Coincidence?

Yes. I'm pretty sure that's just a studio bumper.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Toei Company:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjEWUJGelU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
After years of waiting I thought yesterday "Hey I wonder if 3.0 is out with subs yet...hey look at that"

*bowl of weed and 2 hours later*

:what:

That poo poo was wild.

I'm trying to skim the post-release posts but is there any good rundowns of "things you might have missed" or theories on what the fucks going on now? I remember being really impressed with the amount of good speculation gleaned from some of the weird poo poo in the first two.

I'm still really enjoying these remakes, the first two have just enough new poo poo to make them worth more than just new shiny stuff and this third one has gone completely off the rails...while still hitting a lot of the same beats. The Kaworu storyline works a lot better in this one in my opinion and the additional bits implying that he's in on whatever craziness is going down fleshed him out nicely.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 1, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Regarding WTF happened during the 14 year skip, I didn't see anyone mention that a lot of the damage on NERV looked like bullet/cannon fire and WILLE is explicitly stated to be UN related (in addition to a lot of their normal ship crew being decked out in UN Blue).

Angel attack is still the most likely answer but there was definitely some sort of UN army attack going on either at the same time or in support of NERV (there's a helicopter crashed near the Lillith corpse).

To me it looks like someone restarted the impact event that Shinji started when he was saving Rei2 and they went through some version of the End of Evangelion.

Obviously someone removed the lance from unit01, everyone in the world except a handful appears to be dead (Kaworu mentions mass extinctions being common on this planet) and may have turned into big red, dead-ish, Eva01 clones instead of a sea of LCL (note that all the red corpses appear headless and the Lillith pit is filled with normal human looking skulls...although they might be EVA sized I wasn't paying that good of attention at the time).

On top of all of this stuff that resembles post-EOE (with some changes) the entire movie going off the rails leads me to believe this movie and the next are kind of a psuedo-sequel/remake of EOE merged with some of the beats from the back half of the TV series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Eva-size" is completely subjective anyways.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Obviously someone removed the lance from unit01, everyone in the world except a handful appears to be dead (Kaworu mentions mass extinctions being common on this planet) and may have turned into big red, dead-ish, Eva01 clones instead of a sea of LCL (note that all the red corpses appear headless and the Lillith pit is filled with normal human looking skulls...although they might be EVA sized I wasn't paying that good of attention at the time).

Incredibly creepy is that not just the Eva corpses are red, but the entire environment of the destroyed Tokyo-3 is completely red as if everything were in the process of turning into core material.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The other odd part of all that being that it looks like Lillith got activated AFTER whatever created the core/RedEva/Skullpit thing since the cross fell on top of that pile and the corpse is crawling over them. The whole thing really stood out to me as a stand-in for everyone turning into the sea of LCL. Like some weird version where instead of popping everyone turned into an EVA and did a B-Ball jumpshot with their skull into the NervHoop.

Mayhaps it's also got some connection to the other headless operating Eva that goes with Shinji and Kaworu. I can never remember the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Incredibly creepy is that not just the Eva corpses are red, but the entire environment of the destroyed Tokyo-3 is completely red as if everything were in the process of turning into core material.

Considering how much blood spews out of the Angels and Evas in Rebuild , I would hazard that everything is red as it is covered in the blood of the failed Evas.