Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/3956966757.html

Where the heck do people manage to get 7000 of the exact same brick? Does lego occasionally unload unsold stock, or do people hoard this stuff from many smaller purchases?

There's a program to sell bricks to LUGs called LUGBULK:
http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/06/the-lego-lugbulk-program/

You're not supposed to resell but what can Lego really do?

I've also heard of people convincing the Lego store to sell them unopened boxes meant for the Pick-a-brick wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Yeah, LUGBulk is not to be resold. And they have found out about it in the past and thrown a fit about it. AFAIK, anyone can buy a pick-a-brick box. They're usually $75. It's the best way to get bulk brick sometimes. For smaller sizes, it's cheaper than Bricklink and cheaper than LUGBulk.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Do sets go on sale at midnight the day it's suppose to be released? I'm asking to see if I have to stay up tomorrow night just to get the BTTF set.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Adregan posted:

Do sets go on sale at midnight the day it's suppose to be released? I'm asking to see if I have to stay up tomorrow night just to get the BTTF set.

Fashion Valley Lego sold out of them yesterday, said there was a line when they opened and sold out in minutes :smith: So they told me to call back Friday to see when they get their next shipment.

Went to target and picked up the 9471-Uruk-Hai Army set and a Spongebob set for the lady, they were both on sale for 20$ too. There was full season 10 minifigs still out, snagged the Old Man (Thought it was the librarian due to the cup) and the Mechanic. I want that drat mohawk warrior,librarian and clown!

squarerandom fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 31, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Adregan posted:

The May the 4th sale kicked in at 12AM EST, so my guess is that new items go up on EST as well.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

squarerandom posted:

Fashion Valley Lego sold out of them yesterday, said there was a line when they opened and sold out in minutes :smith: So they told me to call back Friday to see when they get their next shipment.

I guess this means I should call the Chicago Water Tower store before heading there tomorrow. :shrug: I was really looking forward to picking it up in person and not having to wait for shipping.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do we know what the August Lego Shop@Home promo is yet?

Edit: Guess it is a Galaxy Squad mini mech polybag if you spend $50 or more. I liked the Hot Dog Stand better.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 31, 2013

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

smackfu posted:

Here's an interesting review of the BttF set. At the end he builds the original Cuusoo model and shows it side-by-side with the official Lego one. The Lego set is better than I thought, especially from different angles.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84806&st=0

Well, looks like I am going to be getting this soon. Seeing the Cuusoo model next to the production model did a good job of selling me on the production set.

Pyroclastic posted:

There's a western coal-fired train set with 79111 Constitution Train Chase, with the engine, coal tender, minigun car, and freight car. It is not motorized.
9467 Ghost Train is a goofy set with a huge engine and 3 strange ghost cars. It is unmotorized and comes with no track.
Finally, the $130 10233 Horizon Express is the enthusiast's train. It comes with no track or motor, but it can be converted (as can the other two unmotorized trains). It's got a well-designed TVG-like engine, a passenger car, and a dining car.

You can also buy accessories like more tracks, a level crossing, a train station, and train motors & remotes.

I got into Lego Trains kind of late as well. We have Emerald Night and The Constitution Train. There are a number of guides online for motorizing the constitution, and it comes with enough track for an oval.

Emerald Night is a fantastic train to look at, but motorized it is kind of slow and fiddly. It uses a large motor to drive a gearbox that drives the wheels which are all connected. The result is a rather slow train that derails more often than I would like. It also doesn't look quite as nice when it is motorized: The motor takes up the cab of the engine, and the battery box is stored in the coal tender and not well concealed.

dangittj fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

smackfu posted:

Do we know what the August Lego Shop@Home promo is yet?

Edit: Guess it is a Galaxy Squad mini mech polybag if you spend $50 or more. I liked the Hot Dog Stand better.

Oh, I didn't even check to see if I was getting a freebie with my Palace Cinema! The hot dog stand is really cool and fits perfectly with the cinema :3: Stuff like this is why I love Lego.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Because they didn't have the latest Technic Helicopter (9396), I went ahead and splurged a Mobile Crane Mk II this last weekend (even though I love helicopters, I'm not that sad because it looks really similar to last year's rescue helicopter but with a reworked tail section and new colors).

Holy crap this thing is going to be huge. I just finished build book 1 of 6. I'm loving putting this together so far. It's going to take days... days! to build. It's the largest most expensive set I've owned in my life. Being an adult that can afford to buy awesome sets owns.

I was kind of surprised when the Lego Store employees said that the helicopter was basically gone after the holidays (christmas?) and they weren't getting any more in, ever. What's the cadence on those sets... yearly?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dangittj posted:

Well, looks like I am going to be getting this soon. Seeing the Cuusoo model next to the production model did a good job of selling me on the production set.

I got into Lego Trains kind of late as well. We have Emerald Night and The Constitution Train. There are a number of guides online for motorizing the constitution, and it comes with enough track for an oval.

Emerald Night is a fantastic train to look at, but motorized it is kind of slow and fiddly. It uses a large motor to drive a gearbox that drives the wheels which are all connected. The result is a rather slow train that derails more often than I would like. It also doesn't look quite as nice when it is motorized: The motor takes up the cab of the engine, and the battery box is stored in the coal tender and not well concealed.

Thanks for the heads up, that's an important consideration for me!

That Lego Technic Helicopter looks awesome, I love Lego helicopter models, I still really want the Police chinook they released. I have a small police one and a fire helicopter, so swooshable and awesome.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So is that Back to the Future set going to be really hard to get or what? In the UK for reference, I've seen the Minecraft stuff around a few stores. Now that I've got a job I might actually be able to buy some nice lego (that Haunted House might be a bit too much still even if it was my dream thing as a kid).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thebardyspoon posted:

So is that Back to the Future set going to be really hard to get or what? In the UK for reference, I've seen the Minecraft stuff around a few stores. Now that I've got a job I might actually be able to buy some nice lego (that Haunted House might be a bit too much still even if it was my dream thing as a kid).

The Westfield in Shepherds Bush got another order of them in yesterday. One's been put aside for me :3:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Apparently its already out in the EU/UK, so I'd say check your version of the Lego store and see what the stock is like.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well poo poo, that's like the one really dumb specific store Reading doesn't have. So this is going to be rarer than the Minecraft stuff then? I've seen that in Entertainer and HMV and poo poo.

Edit:gently caress, Watford, Westfield or Milton Keynes are my closest choices.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

squarerandom posted:

Went to target and picked up the 9471-Uruk-Hai Army set and a Spongebob set for the lady, they were both on sale for 20$ too. There was full season 10 minifigs still out, snagged the Old Man (Thought it was the librarian due to the cup) and the Mechanic. I want that drat mohawk warrior,librarian and clown!

Yeah, I called the Lego store near me today and they had sold out already. Wish I would have known that they break release date, my dad works literally 200 feet from the Lego store and I could have sent him over every morning to check.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I heard the helicopter didn't sell very well. A lot of (web)stores here are selling them for 60 instead of 90 euros. Its awesome though, I think its the largest helicopter since whirlwind rescue or whatever the red helicopter from 199x was, and it has some clever things to disengage the blades from the crankshaft so the can continue to turn. It also can also change the pitch of the blades, even if the mechanism to do that is massive.

The exclusive crawler was just put up on the website, ordered that and the delorean. Gonna have nice toys waiting for me when I get back home.

Ika fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 1, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

thebardyspoon posted:

Well poo poo, that's like the one really dumb specific store Reading doesn't have. So this is going to be rarer than the Minecraft stuff then? I've seen that in Entertainer and HMV and poo poo.

Edit:gently caress, Watford, Westfield or Milton Keynes are my closest choices.

You can't just order from the online store?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah probably, not sure why I was so annoyed now. I jump right to complaining about stuff without thinking things through I guess.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

So will the be up for sale online tonight at midnight EST or PST?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Delorean link is live! (as of 11:20pm EST)

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-DeLorean-time-machine-21103

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Got mine ordered, still in stock as of 10:08pm PST

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Can't use VIP points online? Bummmmerrrr. I wonder if one could order at the store and have it shipped to the store for free vs the 7$ shipping. I kinda wanna buy some minifigs too to get the little 50$ order = free space guy :3:

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

squarerandom posted:

Can't use VIP points online? Bummmmerrrr. I wonder if one could order at the store and have it shipped to the store for free vs the 7$ shipping. I kinda wanna buy some minifigs too to get the little 50$ order = free space guy :3:

I didn't see the free space guy until after I had finished ordering my Delorean, or I would have picked up another small set to make it to $50 :(

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

squarerandom posted:

You can apply points to your purchase. It asks you during the checkout process. Were you maybe checking out as a guest instead of with your account?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

ireladd posted:

You can apply points to your purchase. It asks you during the checkout process. Were you maybe checking out as a guest instead of with your account?

I'm logged in, and it keeps giving me this message "Oops! We are experiencing technical difficulties and are currently unable to enable payment using VIP Points. If you would like to place your order using VIP Points, please call our friendly consumer service experts on the number shown at the bottom of this page." But yeah, I'll just call tomorrow and see when they come into the store. I can wait, honestly, it's not like I have that much room anyways. Space dude is cool but not 12$ in shipping+tax cool, that's a few minifigs or a small set right there!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

squarerandom posted:

I'm logged in, and it keeps giving me this message "Oops! We are experiencing technical difficulties and are currently unable to enable payment using VIP Points. If you would like to place your order using VIP Points, please call our friendly consumer service experts on the number shown at the bottom of this page." But yeah, I'll just call tomorrow and see when they come into the store. I can wait, honestly, it's not like I have that much room anyways. Space dude is cool but not 12$ in shipping+tax cool, that's a few minifigs or a small set right there!

I got the same message, couldn't use my points either.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQC2FPM/

The DeLorean set is available on Amazon with prime shipping if that's your cup of tea.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

AllisonByProxy posted:

The DeLorean set is available on Amazon with prime shipping if that's your cup of tea.

Hip hip hurray!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well i'm glad I camped out online last night. I wanted to get my hands on the 41999 Boss Crawler set and managed to snag one. As of 9am EST this morning they were already sold out. I'm curious what the percentage of flippers was.

As it is it's going to be a blast putting this beast together!

Also the box is pretty rad.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 1, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Podothehobbit posted:

Well i'm glad I camped out online last night. I wanted to get my hands on the 41999 Boss Crawler set and managed to snag one. As of 9am EST this morning they were already sold out. I'm curious what the percentage of flippers was.

As it is it's going to be a blast putting this beast together!

I'm not usually that hot on Technic (only because of the vehicle choices) but this thing is too cool. The blue makes it.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm not usually that hot on Technic (only because of the vehicle choices) but this thing is too cool. The blue makes it.

Yeah the blue really looks good on it. It's interesting as the whole design is based off the 9398 Crawler, which then Eurobrick user rm8 heavily modified and submitted to the Technic design contest. I hope Lego does more of these user design contests and releases more awesome sets.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 1, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

Thanks! I was trying to find some other set to get my order up to $75 on Lego Shop for free shipping and couldn't find one.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

The new Boss Crawler also seems like an amazing deal. Is has the same chasis and all the functions of the 9398, but an extra function in the winch, a pole reverser, and 200 more parts. For the same exact price.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

smackfu posted:

Thanks! I was trying to find some other set to get my order up to $75 on Lego Shop for free shipping and couldn't find one.

The obvious choice was a second DeLorean, if they didn't limit to one. I used Amazon for the Prime shipping though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Huh... the DeLorean limit is 5 in Australia. Guess I'll get a group order and swipe the VIP points.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

parque bynch posted:

The obvious choice was a second DeLorean, if they didn't limit to one. I used Amazon for the Prime shipping though.

That only gets you to $70. And my "investment" stack of Legos is too large already.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

TriggerHappy posted:

The new Boss Crawler also seems like an amazing deal. Is has the same chasis and all the functions of the 9398, but an extra function in the winch, a pole reverser, and 200 more parts. For the same exact price.

Is this only available in Europe? Because that set is way too cool.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

einTier posted:

Is this only available in Europe? Because that set is way too cool.

It's limited to 20,000 units worldwide. It appears to be sold out online but reports are coming in that Lego stores have received between 1 and 6 units per store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

drat, should have checked Amazon last night before I put in my shop.lego order. Long gone now.