Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
So, does the Lichloved feat only mean you can be banging a lich? Because if it means just general undead, I could see myself gettin up in the cold guts of a hawt vampire babe.

Or maybe just a really fresh zombie? It'd be like banging Helena Bonham Carter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Let's see what is going on in the thread toda- :barf:

XkyRauh posted:

All this talk about the Staff having limited charges makes me wonder: I could have sworn it was possible to create a magical staff that could cast a spell a certain number of times PER DAY, forgoing charges entirely. Was that homebrew/splatbook territory, or was it actually possible?
Very much possible, if you have the resources to spare there is no reason not to do it. Especially for something so important. Obviously it's a lot more expensive to get a cast spell x twice a day than cast spell x 20 charges but if you're going to use it daily it'll pay off eventually, not like an undead has a short life spam anyway.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Poil posted:

Let's see what is going on in the thread toda- :barf:

Very much possible, if you have the resources to spare there is no reason not to do it. Especially for something so important. Obviously it's a lot more expensive to get a cast spell x twice a day than cast spell x 20 charges but if you're going to use it daily it'll pay off eventually, not like an undead has a short life spam anyway.
Nice! Is it possible that Malack's staff could have the Protection from Daylight as a 2x/day thing, as well as whatever spell was used to raise the mummies in charge form? Can you mix-and-match like that? (Sorry for the newbie-ish questions; anything's better than the other discussion!)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They're called Eternal Wands. They come from the Magic Item Compendium, which is an official Wizards sourcebook. They're designed pretty much specifically for stuff that you would want to cast once or twice every day but almost never more often.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

XkyRauh posted:

Nice! Is it possible that Malack's staff could have the Protection from Daylight as a 2x/day thing, as well as whatever spell was used to raise the mummies in charge form? Can you mix-and-match like that? (Sorry for the newbie-ish questions; anything's better than the other discussion!)

Sure, but you pay through the nose for the privilege. Given that the three spells we see in the staff (spare pro daylight spells, mummification, that insta vamp spell) are all for emergency / unexpected use, and he prepares the pro daylight spell twice a day instead of casting it regularly out of the staff, there's really no reason to believe the staff isn't just a staff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah, Durkon now has access to Hasten Undeath. Over/under on when Durkon will create an army of NPC thralls?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kajeesus posted:

Oh yeah, Durkon now has access to Hasten Undeath. Over/under on when Durkon will create an army of NPC thralls?

Right after he creates a halfling ranger thrall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

XkyRauh posted:

All this talk about the Staff having limited charges makes me wonder: I could have sworn it was possible to create a magical staff that could cast a spell a certain number of times PER DAY, forgoing charges entirely. Was that homebrew/splatbook territory, or was it actually possible?

I think there are staffs that work like this, but I don't remember where I read about them, whether it was the old 3.0 splatbook for arcane classes (the ones that predated the Complete Whatevs line, you know, like Sword & Fist or ... I forgot the arcane one's name) or some third-party stuff.

I always found the ideas of staves and wands with charges dumb. I understand why it's there -- there needs to be a limit or the players would use them constantly -- but I always saw the wizard's staff and fairy's wand more like focus items than like a magical shotgun with 50 ammo. Having charges per day makes more sense to me, because it doesn't result in wizards tossing their old staff in the garbage bin once it's spent.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

I think there are staffs that work like this, but I don't remember where I read about them, whether it was the old 3.0 splatbook for arcane classes (the ones that predated the Complete Whatevs line, you know, like Sword & Fist or ... I forgot the arcane one's name) or some third-party stuff.

I always found the ideas of staves and wands with charges dumb. I understand why it's there -- there needs to be a limit or the players would use them constantly -- but I always saw the wizard's staff and fairy's wand more like focus items than like a magical shotgun with 50 ammo. Having charges per day makes more sense to me, because it doesn't result in wizards tossing their old staff in the garbage bin once it's spent.

I think it would make more sense to recharge the staff rather than tossing it. The new edition of Hackmaster handles wands quite interestingly. Using them to cast spells gives you inherent bonuses to your spells and makes them more dangerous, or you can expend a charge for some desired effect, but this makes the bonuses the wand grants you weaker. A wand of magic missile makes your own prepared magic missile spells cost less or do more damage , but if you're out of magic missile spells you can burn off charges if you have to. So they serve as the focus you're talking about, along with a "break glass in case of emergency" feature.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 8, 2013

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Gee I hope Rich is okay. Please? Please be okay and derail all of, THIS.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cat Mattress posted:

Neverwinter Nights 1+2 had things like this on a wide array of items. It was theoretically based on 3.5, but I guess it pulled stuff in on it's own if that's not a "typical" thing to have.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren:Shifting Sands:siren:

Belkar calls out an evil double standard.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Loved the strip. I am very happy that not only is the whole party cool with Belkar making a mistake due to bad info and attacking Durkon, but also that Durkon is cool enough with the idea to not go and accidentally murder Belkar.

And that Belkar is actually willing to stop and snark instead of continuing the fight. If this were a crazy alternative reality where he never lost the MoJ and never developed, he would probably still be attacking Durkon on the principle that he was now something the rules said he could kill.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
I like the fact that Belkar did no damage with a full attack. They lose on the fly healing, but gain a major tank with great dps.

Edit: oops I guess I didn't zoom in enough. There's minor damage that you can see quick healing over the next 2 panels.

bigpolar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 9, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

bigpolar posted:

I like the fact that Belkar did no damage with a full attack. They lose on the fly healing, but gain a major tank with great dps.

Actually, he did do damage. In panel 9, Durkon's not showing any damage. Panels 10-12, there's purple wounds on him after Belkar's round of attacks.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
May not be relevant here, but I like the concept of a character that can be used as a punching bag because nothing the other characters can do is capable of killing them.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Belkar also went full attack regardless of his own safety on that one too.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Sudden thought. When V's time is up, is he going to be placed back into his exact location? Under a ton of sand?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I love that when Belkar pauses to talk in the penultimate panel he still has a dagger sticking into Durkon's face or neck through his beard.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Sudden thought. When V's time is up, is he going to be placed back into his exact location? Under a ton of sand?

His body is still in that little dome chamber right beneath the gate. Which, as shown here, is still perfectly intact. She won't have any way to get out though, aside from expending a few spell slots, I imagine.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 9, 2013

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm starting to think that Belkar might have had an alignment shift at some point.

He actually voluntarily stopped attacking. Heck, he bothered to notice that everyone else wasn't attacking, and his justification for jumping Durkon was fairly reasonable.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, he did do damage. In panel 9, Durkon's not showing any damage. Panels 10-12, there's purple wounds on him after Belkar's round of attacks.

Which, yet again, makes me wonder where the hell Belkar gets all his damage from.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Moddington posted:

His body is still in that little dome chamber right beneath the gate. Which, as shown here, is still perfectly intact. She won't have any way to get out though, aside from expending a few spell slots, I imagine.

I'm blind, where does that comic show V's body?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

Which, yet again, makes me wonder where the hell Belkar gets all his damage from.

Without going too far down the charop rabbit hole, is he the most gimped of the Order of the Gimped Stick?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

Without going too far down the charop rabbit hole, is he the most gimped of the Order of the Gimped Stick?
Essentially, yes. Without getting too :spergin: about it, he's chosen two classes/fighting styles that are almost completely incompatible, and playing a race that's terrible at both of them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Colonel Cool posted:

Vampires have DR silver and magic, so all it takes is +1 daggers and Belkar's doing full damage to Durkula. And since we found out, right after it was broken, that Haley had a +3 bow until she replaced it with the Icy one, it makes sense that a character of Belkar's level would have at least a pair of +2 daggers, maybe even +3s.

As far as the rest, he's doing it on number of attacks and probably Weapon Finesse. Two weapon style + three attacks at level 12 means he's stabbing you four times per round. Even assuming he misses at least one per round, he's still doing 1d3 + 2 (magic daggers) +2 (14 STR, which may be low) +2 (rage STR bonus) for 3d3 + 18 per round. 21-27 points per round isn't great, but it's not negligible either, and that's assuming he always miss 25% of the time, doesn't have some extra feats that I'm not factoring in, and isn't getting a Favored Enemy bonus as well.

Assuming he hits with all four attacks, and is going at a favored enemy (of which we're pretty sure Human is one of his choices, and probably Kobold one of the others) he's looking at 36-44, plus any other special feats or other tricks I'm not factoring in. And that's not too bad.

If he's up to +3 or better daggers, it goes up even further, and if he's made it to level 16 , he's got another attack.

Yeah, he's crap against anything with serious DR...and indeed, probably wasn't doing poo poo to the Silicon Elemental...against regular targets he can be a threat.

Obviously most any of us could make much better builds that are far more effective than Belkar is...or, indeed, many of the Order. But within the framework of the comic where the only guy in the whole world with a really maxed out build literally went off a cliff with it, Belkar's still pretty tough.

spoon daddy posted:

I'm blind, where does that comic show V's body?

He means that the V is right below the Gate, and since the tear where the Gate was is still on uncracked stone, the presumption is that is right beneath the Rift and still safe.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 9, 2013

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Favored Enemy: Human, Orc, Goblin, etc

He probably doesn't have Undead, Evil Outsider or Dragon as his picks, which many Rangers take...Though that tends to be campaign specific.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm really not looking forward to Belkar's death at all, he's gotten so much development now that he's much more enjoyable to read about than about half of the Order.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Brannock posted:

I'm really not looking forward to Belkar's death at all, he's gotten so much development now that he's much more enjoyable to read about than about half of the Order.

That's how he gets you. You start to like a character after a while and then POW, he's dead and gone and you feel bad. Oh, wait, that's Joss Whedon.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Vampires have DR silver and magic, so all it takes is +1 daggers and Belkar's doing full damage to Durkula. And since we found out, right after it was broken, that Haley had a +3 bow until she replaced it with the Icy one, it makes sense that a character of Belkar's level would have at least a pair of +2 daggers, maybe even +3s.

Silver AND magic. Not silver OR magic. There's a difference. Vampire spawn just require regular silver where full blooded vampires require that the silver be magical.

I mean I guess it's possible that Belkar just randomly happens to have some silver daggers but it seems kind of unlikely.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Or he managed to do more than 10 damage pre-DR on a hit or two.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's great the whole party is back together.

note: V should not be considered a member considering he's done gently caress all of anything useful to them in forever, and basically is responsible for the entire bad situation they're in right now

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
In the sixth panel, Haley asks, "Is that Durkon helping us?" and Roy answers "Looks like. Get ready to shoot."

That "looks like" is interestingly ambiguous. Is Roy just shrugging, and saying "I guess Durkon is back in the party now, what a crazy twist of fate"? Or is he implying that looks can be deceiving, and that what "looks like" help is actually part of a long con? Or is he saying that the party is definitely being helped, by something that "looks like" Durkon but actually isn't?

I want to say that Roy is too smart to trust Durkula, but he's also arrogant and stubborn about value judgments that he's made, so I guess it could go any way.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zereth posted:

Or he managed to do more than 10 damage pre-DR on a hit or two.

Well yeah, obviously. I'm just saying that that's a fuckton of damage for little baby halfling daggers to be doing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

"I guess Durkon is back in the party now, what a crazy twist of fate"

It's this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ponsonby Britt posted:

In the sixth panel, Haley asks, "Is that Durkon helping us?" and Roy answers "Looks like. Get ready to shoot."

That "looks like" is interestingly ambiguous. Is Roy just shrugging, and saying "I guess Durkon is back in the party now, what a crazy twist of fate"? Or is he implying that looks can be deceiving, and that what "looks like" help is actually part of a long con? Or is he saying that the party is definitely being helped, by something that "looks like" Durkon but actually isn't?

I want to say that Roy is too smart to trust Durkula, but he's also arrogant and stubborn about value judgments that he's made, so I guess it could go any way.

Roy is smart enough to realize that vampire Durkon isn't exactly the same as his old friend Durkon. Roy is also smart enough to realize that it is best to deal with one enemy at a time. They've had a few long minutes of continuous action what with avoiding the LG, destroying the gate, running from the exploding pyramid, seeing Red Cloak, fighting an elemental, fighting a couple demon things, and then having Durkon drop in. All that happened in, what, like less than 20 minutes? If he isn't attacking right this second, Durkon is a problem that can wait while they catch their breath.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Calling that Durkon kills Belkar at some point. Maybe even after Belkar uncovers some Durkon treachery towards the party and gets murdered for it before he can rat him out.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Durkon saving him for emergency rations/feeding material if the cravings ever get strong enough for him to pose a potential threat to the rest of the Order if he doesn't get his fix right that minute.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Was thinking the same thing. Not that Roy means anything more by it, but it's a nice reminder inserted into the dialogue that this isn't, strictly speaking, Durkon anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cool posted:

Well yeah, obviously. I'm just saying that that's a fuckton of damage for little baby halfling daggers to be doing.

Favored enemy: undead is kind of a nobrainer to pick and at level 14ish that punches through most of the DR by itself.