Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Wow, Mindo is beautiful. I love his coloring.

In Conure news, Simon has discovered my fiance's hair and goes absolutely nuts in it. Thankfully he doesn't tangle it up too badly, and she really loves how snuggly he is. He also has stopped trying to eat the keyboard and now finds amusement in pushing the buttons when we are typing, so that is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jadebullet posted:

In Conure news, Simon has discovered my fiance's hair and goes absolutely nuts in it. Thankfully he doesn't tangle it up too badly, and she really loves how snuggly he is. He also has stopped trying to eat the keyboard and now finds amusement in pushing the buttons when we are typing, so that is an improvement.

Ok, now you need to start clicker training with a touch wand and get him to type out amusing messages for youtubeinternetsuperstardom.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

jadebullet posted:

conures.txt right here

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

jadebullet posted:

Leeloo will literally dive into my hair when its all splayed out on my pillow. Running start and everything.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJLxMDPxoKo
a summary of bart the cockatiel

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Have you ever shown bart this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8qp3whnsDw

*edit* I counted approximately 875 hits. :colbert:

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 24, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
i have a little chain and quicklink still hanging in the cage from a toy and archer throws it around instead of yelling these days

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I have a small problem/question. Marshall has been seriously favoring one foot lately and I've noticed when he's perched on my finger the grip from that foot is really poor and it feels a little warm. He can still hang on, hangs upside down in his cage and flails around like a baby like usual, but occasionally he'll lift his foot up or fidget with it. I looked at him and there's no cuts or damage that I can see and touching his foot doesn't seem to cause him pain. I'd take him to the vet but honestly I don't see what they could do for him? Am I being paranoid? :ohdear:

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Since Sammy the Sun Conure didn't work out, I've been searching CL for a parrot.

I found a 6 month old green cheek conure, who doesn't know his name yet. His cage is included in the "rehoming fee"

Her current owner will call me Monday and set up a time to meet.

This is bird:

Does anyone have GCC tips???

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Tip: Mentally prepare yourself to have a bird attached to you 24/7.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Amaya posted:

I have a small problem/question. Marshall has been seriously favoring one foot lately and I've noticed when he's perched on my finger the grip from that foot is really poor and it feels a little warm. He can still hang on, hangs upside down in his cage and flails around like a baby like usual, but occasionally he'll lift his foot up or fidget with it. I looked at him and there's no cuts or damage that I can see and touching his foot doesn't seem to cause him pain. I'd take him to the vet but honestly I don't see what they could do for him? Am I being paranoid? :ohdear:

Since there is heat and there may be pain, I would take him to the vet. That may be sign of an infection, in which case he may need antibiotics. That being said, I am super paranoid about health stuff too. I hope he's okay. :ohdear:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Pichu had a gimp leg like that for a few days when she sprained/bruised/hurt it on a toy. She got caught on it and was hanging from it iirc. I didnt not take her to a vet immed. since nothing felt broken but I gave her pain meds/restricted movement/kept warm and she got better. That was my choice though, if I ever had to recommend anything, it would be..vet vet vet.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I've decided I'm probably going to be getting another GCC in the future. Not now, but after a bit. Theres a green fluffy shaped hole in our lives and I know that only another velcro bird can fill it. :)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis just met my little sister today and is already snuggling with her and letting her pet him. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

One of our lurkers needs love and support and protective vibes sent their way. Their longtime companion is fighting with something that doesn't have a good prognosis. I know this is awfully vague but they didn't want an outpouring of attention, but they absolutely need and deserve some good karma. So think good thoughts, Bird Crazies. :shobon:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My thoughts are with the ambiguously vague parrot and their owner. I hope things work out, and if they don't that it's an easy and comfortable passing.

Be thankful for the time you have, and give lots of love for those of us that can't have a parrit just yet :parrot:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So it appears that Simon loves our lamp. Whenever we have it on, he climbs onto the back of the love seat and sings to the lamp. Not sure if it is because there is an extremely slight reflection in it, or because it is bright and warm, but he just loves singing to it. That and playing zoomy bird on the back of the loveseat. (he puts his beak to the ground and goes running back and forth, sometimes after our finger, but not always)

Edit: I forgot to mention last night that my fiance and I both hope that the ill bird is going to be okay. Poor thing.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Sending good thoughts to the owner of the sick bird. :glomp:

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/exhibitionist/2013/08/cockatoo_dances_to_music_youtube.php There was a dancing Cockatoo in the Castro this weekend

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Keeping anonymous goon and goon birdie in my thoughts :glomp:

Amaya posted:

Marshall has been seriously favoring one foot lately and I've noticed when he's perched on my finger the grip from that foot is really poor and it feels a little warm.

Can you call the vet first and see what he says? I miss that about living mainland.

That and free shipping.

Arya recently learned how to wolf whistle. In the process, she also learned that she can be a little devil and make it all okay by whistling at us because we find it so endearing. I never knew birds could be SO manipulative.

I'm still worried about her feathers/size. She's still hovering around 92 grams and her feathers are so weird, short and dull. My stepdad says she's the ugliest bird he's ever seen. I don't know what to think of this anymore. She eats like a maniac.

Someone suggest I do a DNA test. For what? To determine if she is in fact a Quaker?

Meanwhile, everywhere I go now birds follow me like crazy. I've become a Disney princess.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I love the smell of clean fluffy bird. :iamafag:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

THINGS YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT YOUR BIRDS, GO.

I love that Zeke and Zoe can wake up, eat breakfast, and then fall asleep on me for five hours. I love that Mamacita and Dio HATE EVERYTHING, but hate me slightly less.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I love how in the mornings, Ritz doesn't scream like a regular sun conure, he gently shakes his hut around so the clasps make the slightest sound that gently wake me up. Thoughtful bird ITT.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
He's a fluffy warm bundle of love that just wants to cuddle. :3: He loves me so much that after I've been stroking him for a while he tries to preen me. I can bury my face in the fluffy feathers on the back of his neck and back and he just continues preening.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I love 'Tori's rear end in a top hat behaviour and how he's hilarious with it-like his furious squeaks of rage, or uselessly hissing and hitting with his beak. How if you tell him not to do something, he'll move very slowly towards his target as if that prevents you seeing him, or he'll just wait until your back is turned to try again.

His sounds of pure joy when he discovers something tasty like a seed hidden in his pellet bowl.

How despite not talking it's very clear when he wants something, through sounds or body language, like demanding a sink bath or to be taken into the shower so he can perch under it with his eyes closed (which will never not be funny, a tiny angry bird demanding his humans enable him to shower).

Steve... just kind of exists. He's cute. At least he doesn't screech all day or anything?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Y'all should watch The Big Year right now.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka singing opera or dancing to the beat when I beatbox for him. Doing the rain dance in the shower and then playing eagle with the hairdryer. Incredible, amazing, fluffy cockatoo snuggles that very clearly convey that the happiest place in the world for him is my lap.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I haven't really had the conure long enough to think of anything aside from his cuddly nature.

On the other hand I could write a book about the African Grey. His 'human nature' stands out to me though. It really is like having a 2 year old forever. Just an example from tonight. We had a nice home made dinner. The mrs. made chili and cornbread. Of course Hannah had some of it. He pretty much at the beef and cornbread. Afterwards he was doing his ' Hey you! I want something RIGHT NOW!' I couldn't figure it out. I offered him water and a chance to sit with me. He didn't want either. I stared at him and finally figured it out. The little snot wanted dessert. I didn't really have any dessert stuff so I actually went to the store to get some ice cream. I gave him a spoonful and he's enjoying the hell out of it.

edit: And now, after I give him a kiss, he wants to sit with me for the rest of the evening until bed.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Birds are so cool in the sense that they just have a strong attitude and sense of what they want. Which also makes them complete dicks. Like in the pepperburg book where they set up an experiment with a reward hanging at the end of a string on a perch. The other birds would figure it out for themselves how to get it up, while alex absolutely refused to get it and just told other lowly human beings to fetch it for him. Why else do humans exist :v:

I dont have a dog right now to greet me when I come home from work or whatever, but the birds hear the fence being opened and start screaming for me til I go through and say hi to them :3: (and probably scream some more but..still). I like how bart will burst into some stupid version of his song and it happens to be really really cute and not his typical repetitiveness.
I like when I take cody out, its not play time, its Fk yea, cuddle time I will cuddle with whatever skin I can come in contact with!

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Hobo Camp posted:

Can you call the vet first and see what he says? I miss that about living mainland.

Yeah, I'm doing that. We made an appointment just as a place holder. The avian vet is out of town this week :( The receptionist was just as confused as me though with his lack of symptoms and his constant running around and hanging and flinging himself everywhere. Last night I checked on him and he was sleeping attached to the side of the cage at the tippy top....with his GOOD foot tucked up and the sore one holding the cage. It can't be excrutiatingly painful for him or anything. She said it's extremely strange for him to have 0 cuts or bruising or discoloration or ANYTHING. I'm going to wait because they said they'd give some other places a call about it and see if anyone else has any ideas. This vet is SO loving helpful, I love it :)

That said:

I love the way Marceline has changed from an extremely skittish, nervous bird to a bird that is THRILLED TO MEET YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH! And flies from shoulder to shoulder when I take her to my drawing classes and just loves to be a huge ham meeting everyone she can. She still doesn't like being picked up via grabbing her back baseball style but she's getting better and better and it makes me so happy!

I love the way Finn pushes himself under my chin when I'm laying down and fluffs up and literally loving PURRS while I rub his head and pathetically hisses if anyone tries to touch me while he's snuggling with me.

I love the way Marshall dangles between his two bell toys with one foot on each and violently shakes them while hissing with his wings spread.

I LOVE MY BIRDS SO MUCH FUUUUCK :3:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love the way Ivan mimics the sounds that we make imitating him. It becomes this circle of mockery where he will whine, then I will make his whine (but not quite), then he will make THAT whine, and then roomie will make the whine, then he'll get all huffy, so I make the huffy sounds and...

It just keeps going until all of us are laughing. Except Ivan is laughing in anger, but that's still hilarious.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I love that Scout's vocabulary is "Peekaboo", "Go Poop", and "Love You".

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Can't believe I finally got a photo of my sun in bed. He puts himself to bed like that every night.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Lolie posted:

Can't believe I finally got a photo of my sun in bed. He puts himself to bed like that every night.

Eee they sure like to cuddle up to things when they sleep, Sunny loves to sleep on the rope perch at the corner, all huddled up. :3:

I love how Sunny fluffs up when I scratch him, I love how he excitedly jumps to us when we're near him, and all the conure things he does like hold his food so delicately when he eats, runs to us to get scritches etc. :3:

I love how Cheeky greets us whenever he hears us coming home or getting out of bed with his little WHEE WHEE cockatiel sounds, how he fluffs up and stares all zenlike out of the window and how eeee soft he is. :3:

I loved how Cassian let me hold him on his back, how he would fly to me all the time, and just what a smart little conure he was.

Birds are awesome. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been in one of those moods lately where I feel like a crazy hoarder because of how many birds I own. :smith: Anyone else ever get that feeling?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I love that Pookie is so secretive about the little games we play together, like "What time is it Mister Wolf" on top of her cage wherein I hide around the corner of the kitchen wall, she runs down the cage roof, I pop out and she runs away (usually tripping over her feet in her excitement).
As soon as someone else comes into the room she stops playing and pretends to have been preening the whole time. She's the same about really snuggly cuddles - witnesses are not allowed.

I love the way she has learned to laugh like a person (she has a very dirty laugh) but she will only laugh when people are genuinely laughing - no amount of real-sounding fake laughter will work.

I love the way she really loves the dog - Every time anyone picks her (the dog) up for a cuddle, Pookie wags her tail. Daisy is old and frail and not very well, when my brother played with her a few years ago and the play got a bit rough, Pookie ran across the floor and bit him quite hard because I think she thought he was hurting her.

Edit: I just started laughing thinking about Pookie's laugh and she laughed along with me but while preening so it was slightly muffled by bird wingpit.

She's awesome and I love her very much :3:

Edit 2: I juust remembered the thing she does that I couldn't remember before; I love the way she gets angry when I leave her in the kitchen by herself and go into the dining room to internet - this invariably leads to her jumping onto the central island and stealing the garlic.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 27, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think I would die at my computer, click-click-clacking away, if I tried to type out all the things I love about Amadeus. I love how he stretches his foot up oh-so-high when he wants to be held. I love how he nestles against my mouse wrist and falls asleep. I love that he named me "Baby." I love that the first time he sees me after an absence, he tucks his beak against my cheek and purrs. I love that he stands guard on my pillow while I sleep. I love that he helps me eat whatever I'm having for dinner -- unless it's a salad. I love the way he runs. I love the way he flings himself through the air after me. I love how he'll grip my finger and scritch his face against my nail. Really, I just love him.

On a different note, he has a few shredding toys, Chinese fingertraps stuffed with crimped paper, in both his main cage and his sleep cage that he's never touched. Last night I put him to bed and for the next hour while my boyfriend played videogames they were punctuated by alternately enraged and wheedling conure sounds. I can hear you out there holy poo poo LET ME OUT I WILL DESTROY YOU also I love you c'mon please I want to hang out with you c'monnn. This morning I went to let him out and the bottom of the cage was a loving sea of annihilated bamboo and paper. :stare:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Hey bird crazies I have some free stuff for you.

Mr. Pip, the birds, and I are going to be moving to a different state in about a month, so I am going through all our crap and trying to downsize our inventory. I was going through our filing cabinets and found my stack of Bird Talk magazines. I have issues from November 2009 to September 2012, and April 2008. I also have September 2012/Issue 176 of Parrots magazine.

Does anyone want these? I figured I'd offer them up here before donating them to the local library :) If you are in the continental US I should be able to ship them cheaply via media mail.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I took Hunter to the vet today. Nothing serious, she cut her left foot up and it looked worse than it was and she hasn't had a checkup in a while anyway. Turns out she's super swole and weighs in at 121 grams. The vet had never actually come across a show tiel in person so he was pretty impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here is a video of a kestrel I think you guys will like :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRkWiw7qzk