Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
You guys don't allow Amulets of Indulgence in your games? You buy 'em for ~10,000gp (or 4,750 to make it yourself), and if you commit an act that would change your alignment, it turns to dust and negates the act.

They're perfect for those times when you're playing Lawful Good but the king has some really sweet equipment, or some innocent villagers pissed you off by not giving a big enough quest reward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mniot posted:

You guys don't allow Amulets of Indulgence in your games? You buy 'em for ~10,000gp (or 4,750 to make it yourself), and if you commit an act that would change your alignment, it turns to dust and negates the act.

They're perfect for those times when you're playing Lawful Good but the king has some really sweet equipment, or some innocent villagers pissed you off by not giving a big enough quest reward!

No because that's a dumb patchwork solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a trick. The very act of buying one changes your alignment. It turns to dust when you commit an evil act but otherwise doesn't do poo poo.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kajeesus posted:

I think the rule is that you could put good in the character sheet as soon as your dude becomes honestly devoted to helping others, but if he dies before he can commit enough good deeds to outweigh his past, he's not getting into the good afterlife.

So it won't really matter if Belkar is still Evil, became Neutral or shot straight up to Good, he's still going to go to some version of Hell specially tailored for non-jolly murder-halflings.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, it's ultimately up to the DM. I think a heroic sacrifice can outweigh quite a lot of evil.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is why alignment is stupid.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

greatn posted:

It's a trick. The very act of buying one changes your alignment. It turns to dust when you commit an evil act but otherwise doesn't do poo poo.

That's pretty funny, except that the act of buying it should change your alignment and then the amulet should work correctly, preventing you from changing back.

Seriously, though, I've played plenty of games where the gods just look the other way when their paragon stabs some kid in the neck. Because that's actually better then actually using alignment mechanics.

Does anyone know of a game that successfully manages to have morality exist as an object in the game-world? I don't mean games that make you think about morality, but games where you could say, "sell me 50 grams of Evil" in a shop or something and have a game system that doesn't fall apart? I think Kill Puppies for Satan is the closest-sounding thing to that that I've heard of.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
West End Games Star Wars and dark side points?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mniot posted:

Seriously, though, I've played plenty of games where the gods just look the other way when their paragon stabs some kid in the neck. Because that's actually better then actually using alignment mechanics.

The Twelve Gods of the Azurites are pretty cool with their Paladins committing genocide. This is fitting with the maybe-not-completely-true meta conflict; but, it does highlight how different people handle supernaturally dependent alignment maintenance in that the OotS world has some definite relative morality and most play groups that encounter that situation quickly devolve into yelling sessions about how morality/alignment/terrible game systems should be applied.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

terminal mehmet posted:

The Twelve Gods of the Azurites are pretty cool with their Paladins committing genocide. This is fitting with the maybe-not-completely-true meta conflict; but, it does highlight how different people handle supernaturally dependent alignment maintenance in that the OotS world has some definite relative morality and most play groups that encounter that situation quickly devolve into yelling sessions about how morality/alignment/terrible game systems should be applied.

Right but they, just like Kore, thing they are doing good by slaying evil and as such aren't breaking their codes

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

RickoniX posted:

Right but they, just like Kore, thing they are doing good by slaying evil and as such aren't breaking their codes

I'm pretty sure I just said that.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sebmojo posted:

The point he makes in the commentary to DSTP is that the repeated 'I' is significant; V's decision is purely ego-driven. My four words don't have that resonance.

On the other hand it's also quite boring. The prophecy might as well have been "make a deal with the Devil".

"Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." is much better. The four words aren't just a confirmation of how V wants power for the sake of it - instead, they're the unassuming catalyst that inevitably leads to ultimate power (and ultimate corruption) that only becomes obvious with hindsight (much like all prophecies). They're also a great example of V's "blast first, ask questions never" mentality, which is also how the conflict with the black dragon got started in the first place.

It's both cause and act itself, which is why it's way more interesting.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Kajeesus posted:

Well, it's ultimately up to the DM. I think a heroic sacrifice can outweigh quite a lot of evil.

Given that a single act of "leave Elan" would have kicked Roy down an alignment tier, probably, but

ConfusedUs posted:

This is why alignment is stupid.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

terminal mehmet posted:

I am almost a 100% certain that the one thing that will change by the end is the racial alignment restriction.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

terminal mehmet posted:

The Twelve Gods of the Azurites are pretty cool with their Paladins committing genocide.

Goblin genocide.

Since the OotS gods created goblins precisely so that the "real people" would have something to slaughter without feeling bad about it, it's not surprising that the Twelve Gods are okay with it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

Given that a single act of "leave Elan" would have kicked Roy down an alignment tier, probably, but

Elan is probably one of my favorite characters but frankly I think if the spirit of lawful good in charge of Roy's case was ever forced to spend an extended period of the epilogue with Elan there would be a new exception to the "don't ever leave anyone behind" rule.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Goblin genocide.

Since the OotS gods created goblins precisely so that the "real people" would have something to slaughter without feeling bad about it, it's not surprising that the Twelve Gods are okay with it.

Right. Except that's part of the meta conflict as told to us by unreliable narrators that I was talking about. So the morality is relative in both the cultural and divine sense.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

terminal mehmet posted:

Right. Except that's part of the meta conflict as told to us by unreliable narrators that I was talking about.
I believe that part.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Belkar's easily comparable to Sabine at this point in that he cares about his friends. Some of them, at least.

Sabine's feelings towards Nale seem pretty selfless, but are you going to argue over her alignment?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Bell_ posted:

Belkar's easily comparable to Sabine at this point in that he cares about his friends. Some of them, at least.

Sabine's feelings towards Nale seem pretty selfless, but are you going to argue over her alignment?

The thing that's always confused me about her alignment is that she's a succubus yet works for Lee, the lawful evil archfiend.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bell_ posted:

Her greatest fantasy is power and murder, that we know of. Belkar's greatest fantasy is to chill out with a cat and an old man, cooking dinner.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

greatn posted:

Her greatest fantasy is power and murder, that we know of. Belkar's greatest fantasy is to chill out with a cat and an old man, cooking dinner.

Well, to be fair, Mr. Scruffy was also influencing that dream, so it's hard to say whether or not Belkar's wishes alone would have generated that specific scene.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kajeesus posted:

If they play by MUD rules (or videogame rules in general) he may already have done a lot of "good". In most MUDs every mob has an alignment and killing Evil things is always Good (likewise killing Good things is always Evil) regardless of why you are doing it. So if you are trying to play a Neutral character you occasionally have to go murder an orphanage full of kids just to keep your alignment from swinging too far to the Good from killing random Evil monsters.

Belkar doesn't care what he kills or why, he just loves killing, so he has killed quite a lot of Evil creatures. Certainly since joining the order he's killed mostly Evil creatures. He's killed a few Good creatures and conspired to make a Paladin fall and various other Evil things, but he has killed hundreds (perhaps thousands) of Evil creatures. If he gets a judge that weights actions rather than intent (like a dumb computer game) his love of killing could be a net Good. Unfortunately it seems the judges do weigh intent.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Angela Christine posted:

Unfortunately it seems the judges do weigh intent.
They also don't want you to be perfect, they want you to try. Intent may be on Belkar's side here, especially since by their very natures a Good judge would be pulling for him and a Neutral one would be utterly fair.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Order of the Stick: Alignment Arguments are Awful Stupid

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Five hundred and two pages later and we're still stuck on alignment.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is too much to hope for that there'll eventually be a d&d edition that gets rid the alignment system and any other game mechanic that attempts to define morality and ethics as a finite set of labels?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Slashrat posted:

Is too much to hope for that there'll eventually be a d&d edition that gets rid the alignment system and any other game mechanic that attempts to define morality and ethics as a finite set of labels?

Yes, because it would mean rewriting every spell that revolves around alignment.

That said, I guess you could tie "Alignment of X" spells to the alignment of your deity, even if you're not a cleric, but that opens up a whole new :can:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slashrat posted:

Or you could accept that D&D has never been a system of principled realism, and people who debate endlessly about those rules are as annoying as anyone who debates endlessly over weapon damage rules. It can be a fun way to cast things sometimes, without acknowledging that that's how the world really works.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slashrat posted:

Fourth Edition basically did this. It was great! Everyone hated it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

Fourth Edition basically did this. It was great! Everyone hated it.

I thought they just distilled it down to lawful good, good, neutral, evil and chaotic evil as a single linear track?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slashrat posted:

I thought they just distilled it down to lawful good, good, neutral, evil and chaotic evil as a single linear track?

Yeah, they only got rid of the fun alignments. And Chaotic Neutral.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kajeesus posted:

Yeah, they only got rid of the fun alignments. And Chaotic Neutral.

They did two things - added 'Unaligned', as a 'gently caress alignments' option (awesome) and uncoupled alignments from all mechanical effects (ditto). They left in Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil as the saintly/demonic options (plus good and evil?).

Although I think Burlew makes the best possible case for alignment as a good story mechanic, the alignment wheel really is ridiculous Gygaxian nerdcruft.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
They also added an "unaligned" option for people who don't give a poo poo about alignments.

E; fb.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Guys Blekar clearly shifted alignments in #807 where it originally said alignment instead of behavior.
:goonsay:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I liked the approach in d20 modern where you had an "allegiance" (forgot the exact term used), which could be an alignment, or anything else; like loyalty to a given person or your nation or whatever.

The alignment system in D&D, though, is a logical extension of the cosmology. There are several different afterlives, based on someone's morality (good people go to Heaven, evil people go to Hell), so there has to be an absolute morality system which allows judging people depending on whether they're good or evil. Hence, alignment. (At least one axis of it.) The law-vs-chaos axis comes from Poul Anderson and Michael Moorcock.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The only thing I liked about 4e was the "unaligned" option. I hope that comes back alongside the 9 point alignment chart.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sebmojo posted:

They did two things - added 'Unaligned', as a 'gently caress alignments' option (awesome) and uncoupled alignments from all mechanical effects (ditto). They left in Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil as the saintly/demonic options (plus good and evil?).

Although I think Burlew makes the best possible case for alignment as a good story mechanic, the alignment wheel really is ridiculous Gygaxian nerdcruft.

The more important thing 4e did was pretty much entirely nuke alignment actually making any mechanical difference, which forestalls an awful lot of the stupid it produces. When Detect Evil isn't a thing any more, it becomes less of a problem to have the Paladin and the evil vizier in the same room together without arguments about why they didn't figure him out...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thespaceinvader posted:

The more important thing 4e did was pretty much entirely nuke alignment actually making any mechanical difference, which forestalls an awful lot of the stupid it produces. When Detect Evil isn't a thing any more, it becomes less of a problem to have the Paladin and the evil vizier in the same room together without arguments about why they didn't figure him out...

Still pretty stupid, the vizier is always evil. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mniot posted:

I have never heard of that before. What's it from?

Anti Double Post Edit:

Angela Christine posted:

Still pretty stupid, the vizier is always evil. :colbert:

Int is a dump stat for paladins. :colbert: