Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Jackard posted:

At first I didn't notice the difference but they did a really good job on these, the tv version is comical in comparison.
If they're going back with that level of detail from the beginning the Trost arc will look sweet as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even better would be if they were able to go back and redo some of the action sequences where corners were cut due to time and budget constraints.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm going off the assumption that the basement has some more of whatever eren was injected with and eventually recon squad will be a group of Titan warriors. One can only hope.

Mikasa as a Titan would be loving terrifying. So much destruction.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I do enjoy the fact that this show has in some ways become a giant mech anime except instead of mechs it's horrifying biological monstrosities that eat humans.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what happens of Titan Eren bites his hand/thumb? Will it be like Gurren Lagann where things just hilariously escalate out of proportion? Titan 3D maneuvering gear, the moon is a Titan. The PLANET could be a Titan too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what happens of Titan Eren bites his hand/thumb? Will it be like Gurren Lagann where things just hilariously escalate out of proportion? Titan 3D maneuvering gear, the moon is a Titan. The PLANET could be a Titan too.

Levi is so strong because he harness the spiral energy in his fighting style.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dude, they're on Titan, which is itself a Titan. :aaaaa:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's Titans all the way down.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

LeafyOrb posted:

I do enjoy the fact that this show has in some ways become a giant mech anime except instead of mechs it's horrifying biological monstrosities that eat humans.

So...Evangelion?
Eren mustn't run away, Eren mustn't run away...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Get in the loving titan, Eren.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ak Gara posted:

Eren mustn't run away, Eren mustn't run away...

Eren has some issues but that isn't one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Eren is kind of like a second- or third-degree response to Shinji in the same way that Shinji was a response to the unabashedly heroic protagonists of earlier robot shows.

Unironic hero -> that's unrealistic, make him a psychological wreck -> people love passive protagonists! passive protagonists for every show! -> heroic revival (TTGL, etc.) -> "You want hot-blooded? How about 'genocidal?'"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So the archetype of the next generation of protagonists will be Hitler? Heh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's like we've circumnavigated a mobius strip. We're back to Mazinger but now Dr. Hell is the hero.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So the archetype of the next generation of protagonists will be Hitler? Heh.

From what I've heard about Guilty Crown, we're already there. :haw:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Here's to hoping all the upcoming nazi-apologia shows can at least be as self aware as Valvrave is.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Biohitler did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TK-31 posted:

Here's to hoping all the upcoming nazi-apologia shows can at least be as self aware as Valvrave is.

Look, sometimes you just need to found a Third Galactic Reich if you wanna fight off the Jewish vampire Illuminati. Ain't nothing fascist about that. :colbert:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Darth Walrus posted:

Jewish vampire Illuminati

I don't think it's possible to keep Kosher as a vampire, unless you're pescetarian.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Doesn't stop anything.

The moment Valvrave went from "oh, it uses fascist terms, how edgy" to "holy gently caress this might actually be nazi apologia" was something like the final scene of cour 1. Titan doesn't hold a candle to that show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

From the PYF pic thread where I don't think anyone appreciated it:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Phobophilia posted:

Titan doesn't hold a candle to that show.

Wait, did someone look at the totalitarian, book-burning, people-culling government and go "yep, this is a sound endorsement of fascist principles"? :psyduck:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The government are the bad guys in his show. The king takes the best soldiers and isolates them in the middle of the nation. Fat aristocrats lie about palaces eating sweetmeats. They are outwardly uninterested in developing countermeasures against the titans, and would prefer to kill Eren and take any secrets within his body to the grave.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The government are the bad guys in his show. The king takes the best soldiers and isolates them in the middle of the nation. Fat aristocrats lie about palaces eating sweetmeats. They are outwardly uninterested in developing countermeasures against the titans, and would prefer to kill Eren and take any secrets within his body to the grave.

The idea of a government dominated by aristocrats and merchants getting in the way of the military people who know how to get things done is potentially a pretty fascist one, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I was getting that impression as I worked through that post. Still, I think Titan is militarist at most, but not fascist. There's no sense that the main characters are infallible and that their decisions will work out well. Well, except Erwin, but he's not exactly a main character and we watch him more to see what dark schemes he will plot next, instead of getting to put ourselves directly into his shoes.

Besides, the enemy is not some inhuman people that must be purged out as they hide within our ranks, but the demons of our lesser nature. Of course, I hold the thesis that the "titan-infiltrators" are simply the power-brokers that have partially lost control of titanhood, and they are too afraid of fully exploiting its power because that was what got everyone into this mess in the first place.

The actual titans themselves are simply a force of nature that must be worked around.

(Also I'm only half-joking when I call Valvrave nazi apologia).

vvv I'm waffling on whether you could call Erwin an aryan ubermensch. His plan was probably the Right Thing to do even if it involved the sacrifice of dozens of his best soldiers, but it failed for reasons outside his control.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 29, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, I was getting that impression as I worked through that post. Still, I think Titan is militarist at most, but not fascist. There's no sense that the main characters are infallible and that their decisions will work out well. Well, except Erwin, but he's not exactly a main character and we watch him more to see what dark schemes he will plot next, instead of getting to put ourselves directly into his shoes.

(Also I'm only half-joking when I call Valvrave nazi apologia).

Erwin isn't infallible either; his plan to interrogate the Female Titan failed. That's one thing I do like about AoT; you get the feeling that you're never meant to entirely agree with Eren or Mikasa.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 29, 2013

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Erwin isn't infallible either; his plan to interrogate the Female Titan failed. That's one thing I do like about AoT; you get the feeling that you're never meant to entirely agree with Eren or Mikasa.

Eren wants to kill all of the titans, there are no moral qualms about that. They are literally a army of mindless super giants out to eat every last human and have almost succeeded.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Eren wants to kill all of the titans, there are no moral qualms about that. They are literally a army of mindless super giants out to eat every last human and have almost succeeded.

I meant that I don't think we're really supposed to agree with his general attitude (I'm thinking of the bit where Jean thinks "not everyone is as eager to die as you").

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Please read the Word of our Lord and Savior Umberto Eco regarding fascism, thanks. :colbert:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Sorry to ask this but what chapter does the most recent episode coincide with? I'm craving the Shingekis

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeruel posted:

Sorry to ask this but what chapter does the most recent episode coincide with? I'm craving the Shingekis

The most recent episode covers Page 18 of Chapter 27 to Page 17 of Chapter 28.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zeruel posted:

(Just wanted to point out that "shingeki" (進撃) means "(military) advance, attack"; "kyojin" (巨人) (lit: colossal person/people) are the titans)
(Though I wouldn't mind seeing some more shingeki of the humans)

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What is this about Mikasa having a scar? I don't see one of those.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
It's a line on her cheek from when Eren lost control and punched her. Its pretty small actually and I wouldn't have noticed it either, but Jean points it out in the episode before they go on the current expedition.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can still see it on her cheek in the latest episodes. It's usually partially obscured by her bangs.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Why do people think that's relevant? The fact that it's there proves she's not a Titan or something? You guys know poo poo heals anyway, right?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Why do people think that's relevant? The fact that it's there proves she's not a Titan or something? You guys know poo poo heals anyway, right?

Nobody ever really makes a big deal out of it, except for Jean, and the point he was making pointing it out was questioning whether Eren's Titan ability is really going to be a big help, if he can't control himself and could easily kill any of his comrades if he went out of control.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooooh I never picked up on this before. The show does mention races. Mikasa is Asian and its mentioned she and her mother come from an Asian country. This is talked about episode 6 when the kidnappers are discussing what to do with her. It's just that I remember we were having this discussion earlier in the thread over that one dumb tumblr post that tried to pick out what ethnicity each character was.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 30, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfUeG3nIgQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
This is :effort: as gently caress, you need to actually edit the footage not just set it to the OP!

• Locked thread