Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Logically, the best solution would have been for the Paladin to pray for his deity to intercede on behalf of the innocent lizardfolk babies. At which point the DM sends a low-level outsider as a messenger of the Paladin's deity to let him know that they'll ensure the lizardfolk babies will be taken care of off-screen after the party leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dad-paladin and his adopted lizardkids sounds super cool and clearly you guys needed to step up your roleplayin to meet him.

In one of my DnD campaigns the party's crazy C-G Dragon Magazine Paladin Variant "Slay all Evil" weirdo ended up finding and surprisingly adopting a half demon baby, it was pretty cool. Then in the next campaign set twenty years later he had taken the Leadership feat to have her as a real L-G Paladin Follower. It was magical. :allears:

Some cute callback stuff I noticed, when the party is in the desert at first and Draketooth's Illusion explodes and Belkar complains about them blowing up the gate without him, Haley says "That was a Boom, the gates make more of a KRAKATHOOM noise". Sure enough that's the sound effect all the gates exploding makes.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Sir Kodiak posted:

An entire team that spent as much time dealing with the collateral damage of their heroism as they do killing and looting would be pretty fun, though.

Like the economy they collapsed by selling the mystical artifacts they plunder from ancient tombs in favor of a slightly sharper sword? :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd just like to take a step back and reiterate just how cool it is that the Empire of Blood uses dinosaurs for its mounts. Who hasn't imagined something like that as a kid?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fried Chicken posted:

So basically what the Sapphire Guard did. That certainly worked out well with no blowback whatsoever

There was only blowback because they failed to finish the job :black101:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ursine Asylum posted:

There was only blowback because they failed to finish the job :black101:

A... final solution... if you will? Sounds like Malack's plan. evil vampire, lawful good paladin, they aren't as different as you might think!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

A... final solution... if you will? Sounds like Malack's plan. evil vampire, lawful good paladin, they aren't as different as you might think!

What else do you expect when your lawful good deity explicitly creates races for the sole purpose of "allowed" genocide?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, maybe that's what the snarl is. Something that completely unravels the arbitrary delineations of good and evil. The world on the other side of the snarl is a world where morality isn't in black and white, or even in shades of grey, but in color.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Speedball posted:

I'd just like to take a step back and reiterate just how cool it is that the Empire of Blood uses dinosaurs for its mounts. Who hasn't imagined something like that as a kid?

Halflings in Eberron are nomadic barbarians that tame and ride dinosaurs and use their leather and bones to craft their weapons.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

D1Sergo posted:

In hindsight I agree, the rest of us just kind of wanted to be done with the lizardfolk issue instead of being cool and rolling with it.

On the other hand, it was kind of hard to not feel silly discussing the ethics of rescuing hissing lizard babies after we just burst in and brutally murdered their parents.

This is why it's bad GMing to put lizardfolk babies in the lair. It should have 3d8 lizardfolk warriors, a shaman, two barbarians, and a cleric chieftain, as well as a level appropriate treasure drop, and that's it.

You stick a bunch of helpless babies with dead parents into a campaign, and what do you think the players are going to do? They're going to split right down the middle between, "Interact with the obvious plothook," and, "Set everything on fire in rebellion against the obvious plothook."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Speedball posted:

Ooh, maybe that's what the snarl is. Something that completely unravels the arbitrary delineations of good and evil. The world on the other side of the snarl is a world where morality isn't in black and white, or even in shades of grey, but in color.

The Snarl is 4th Edition :smug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Speedball posted:

Not gonna lie, that would be amazing. Remember Roy's conversation with Celia about why people kill? Imagine his reaction to a world where there is no clear cut line for what is Evil, or where there is no reward for Good.

Imagine Belkar's.

Edit: Also, it would literally make the moral of the story "alignment arguments are stupid".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 29, 2013

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
New strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0915.html

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
:doh: Yes; this is the perfect time to throw a wrench into things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I no longer understand what Tarquin is thinking. Like, everything up to this point had a logical end. What's the end to this?

Derail the world-saving quest for an old man? How does Tarquin gain from any possible outcome to that?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Leper Colon V posted:

I no longer understand what Tarquin is thinking. Like, everything up to this point had a logical end. What's the end to this?

Derail the world-saving quest for an old man? How does Tarquin gain from any possible outcome to that?

What do we really know about Ian? Ignoring that fact, we could just take it at face value that he wants to make sure Hailey is worthy of Elan.

Anyway, shiv 'im in the kidneys Hailey, toot sweets.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Not going to lie, I hesitated long enough to check the href before clicking on your link.

Could be exactly what it says on the tin, with a side dose of "this is what you get for lying to me".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What, you thought Nale got "disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights" from his mom? Did you see what Tarquin did to the bounty hunters over the thermal detonator joke? Tarquin has the same basic pettiness that Nale did, it's just that he's smart enough to work around it most of the time. This time, he indulged.

In other news, looking at the map we see....that Reptilia is totally hosed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's not like Tarquin has a history of petty vindictiveness and major overreactions to relatively minor slights.

Really, "I didn't care for the way he spoke to me. As if we were equals." is rather in-character for him. Though, of course, it really could be that Ian did do something we've yet to see that would get Tarquin doing this.

Then again, I'm getting the very distinct impression that he's about to leave himself open to a Sneak Attack, what with actively provoking the hell out of Haley.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Regalingualius posted:

It's not like Tarquin has a history of petty vindictiveness and major overreactions to relatively minor slights.

Really, "I didn't care for the way he spoke to me. As if we were equals." is rather in-character for him. Though, of course, it really could be that Ian did do something we've yet to see that would get Tarquin doing this.

Then again, I'm getting the very distinct impression that he's about to leave himself open to a Sneak Attack, what with actively provoking the hell out of Haley.

While I'm with you on why, I can't agree with your prediction for Haley. If she shivved him right now, it would just cause her's, Elan's, and the whole Order's (with the possible exception of V's) deaths. Tarquin alone stood off most of the team when they were in good shape. Now they're battered and broken, surrounded by an army, and two of Tarquin's high level buddies are RIGHT THERE. No, Haley proved with Crystal that she's patient enough to take her revenge when it will do the most good, and that time is certainly not now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

True enough. However, given that Tarquin just completely and utterly invalidated years' worth of her doing everything she could to free her father, and right after she'd thought she'd managed to do it,she might not exactly be in the most rational of mindsets.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I think Tarquin is slipping out of 'An evil empire must exist, I should run it to the best of my ability' and into 'I believe I am the main villain here, so I should do villainous things'. He seems to think as the main villain he's immune to any kind of death save at the hand of the main hero (that being Elan in his mind). He's degenerating from dangerously genre savvy to think that the world literally runs on the rules of story and hence he's got it all figured out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Regalingualius posted:

True enough. However, given that Tarquin just completely and utterly invalidated years' worth of her doing everything she could to free her father, and right after she'd thought she'd managed to do it,she might not exactly be in the most rational of mindsets.

And that's part of the test. He's spot checking for heroism, if she either attacks now, essentially dooming the group, or chooses finding her father over getting to the gate she fails.

She needs to be a true heroine to play any role in his planned confrontation with Elan.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
A true heroine would manage to save both her father and the world. :colbert:

Maybe Tarquin just figures that since Haley will probably participate in the eventual attempt to defeat him, she should be motivated by reasons beyond "my boyfriend wants it done" to make the narrative of it all stronger.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder where Ian and Geoff went, anyways? Ian said he knew of a place, but it's gotta be difficult to navigate a desert when your companion has a peg leg.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TunaSpleen posted:

I wonder where Ian and Geoff went, anyways? Ian said he knew of a place, but it's gotta be difficult to navigate a desert when your companion has a peg leg.

I'm still banking on that "Ian's a Draketooth" theory from awhile back. I'll bet any minute now he's going to show up at the pyramid and that's going to lead to one hell of an awkward moment for everyone involved.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Wonder how the "Tarquin's not actually evil" camp is going to spin THAT one.

Or "cold", I guess.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I absolutely love just how casually Tarquin mentions Elan being his only son.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

God when Tarquin and Xykon meet it's going to be fantastic.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

sebmojo posted:

Sadly, I believe that's well and truly past the point of happening. Xykon is now just outside the last dungeon in the Dwarven lands, on the other side of the world, and has no interest in the Western Continent whatsoever save that it'll be crushed beneath his skinless foot when he has the Snarl.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The whole point of Tarquin is you have to wake up very early to get one over on him, and he goes to considerable lengths to establish that. This isn't really a surprising turn of events.

On top of that, he's pressuring the Order to accept his help. Stubbornly making their own way to the Northern continent might get them there in time to stop Xykon, but they couldn't do that and save Haley's father. Then they might want the help of the psion that can open portals.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DrakePegasus posted:

Sadly, I believe that's well and truly past the point of happening. Xykon is now just outside the last dungeon in the Dwarven lands, on the other side of the world, and has no interest in the Western Continent whatsoever save that it'll be crushed beneath his skinless foot when he has the Snarl.

With two books left, I can safely predict that Xykon is going to win this next one just so everyone who actually has an arc in the story (including Redcloak) can hit their lowest point right at the end of the next book. That means that Tarquin meeting up with him in the final book for that unpredictable villain versus villain action he wanted to avoid could be a real possibility (and a nice way to dovetail some threads).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

With two books left, I can safely predict that Xykon is going to win this next one just so everyone who actually has an arc in the story (including Redcloak) can hit their lowest point right at the end of the next book.

I'm wondering in what context Xykon will win. It's not like seizing a gate can have the outcome he wants it to. I mean I'm sure he'll crush everyone, but he's not gonna be using the Snarl to dominate the world.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Xykon could seize the gate and cast the ritual, find out it doesn't do what he wants, and then have a badass throwdown with Redcloak. Regardless of outcome, the Dark One finds out it doesn't do what he wants, either. Obviously the narrative issue here is that it'd take a lot of tension out of the story, but there's plenty of room for a new thread, such as a race to re-seal the rifts because poo poo gets unstable.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well I guess that confirms Catgirl has the assassin PrC.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
EDIT: Well, poo poo. For some reason it was telling me 0 new posts in thread.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 29, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's the one we've been discussing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I take him at his word here. In his own evil, hosed up way, he really does care about his children. This isn't about a tangible gain, this is about being a "good" parent. Analogy time here - a bigoted parent has a child who marries outside their race. They aren't happy about it, but love their kid enough to roll with it. Eventually in their mind that person becomes "one of the good ones" and acceptable, while the in-laws are always lessers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

sebmojo posted:

There are a few ways it could go, but honestly the only reason I could see it actually happening in the comic is so Xykon could just murder him offhand without really thinking about it.

Although it might be neat if Tarquin tries his "general for a powerful figurehead idiot" trick with Xykon, since in a way that's what Redcloak's already been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dolash posted:

There are a few ways it could go, but honestly the only reason I could see it actually happening in the comic is so Xykon could just murder him offhand without really thinking about it.

Although it might be neat if Tarquin tries his "general for a powerful figurehead idiot" trick with Xykon, since in a way that's what Redcloak's already been doing.

Well, Tarquin is in need of a powerful LE cleric right now so...