Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. I'm honestly more concerned about the region lockout than I am about the slight price difference. Thanks for the info though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Maneki Neko posted:

That does look nice (although I hope paperwhite gets at least some of that via software updates, but who am I kidding, this is Amazon we're talking about), and between that, Matchbook and the book settlement, things are shaping up nicely:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689346/amazon-kindle-matchbook-bundles-physical-books-with-ebooks
Man, I hope all ebooks from every outlet do something like this eventually. I've got a Nook, and the latest Witcher book that's been officially released in English just came out and I'm holding off buying it because I can't decide if I want the actual book or an ebook. I had my bookstore set aside a copy of the physical book back when it was announced and I wasn't sure if it would be available as an ebook right away. I have a vision of a crazy future where you get a digital copy with the physical copy of any book you buy, that seems like it'd be a great way to get people buying real books again. I've already got the two others in paperback, and adding to the set would be nice but I'm not paying for it twice.

Also I got a similar email from Barnes & Noble about the free credits due to that settlement. I'm curious how much that will be, I've bought several ebooks in the past couple years.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new inline footnote support is neat too.

Really, the footnote experience is my biggest complaint with my Kindle Keyboard. You see a footnote, and you go down, down, down, down, down, down, right, right, right, right, right, right, right, select. I wish I could just tap that stupid asterisk.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I want better options for organizing and managing the books on my Kindle, I really hope they have made some improvements there. The Touch and PW don't support that Calibre Kindle Collections plugin which sucks.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there an ereader that supports Google Play Books? I love the idea of an ereader (mainly the benefits of the eink screen), but needing to manually load books onto a microSD card had me lose interest real quick when I received a Nook Simple Touch as a gift a year or two ago. I'm hoping there's been some improvement in cloud service synchronization so that I can pull down books I've uploaded to Play Books at any time and enjoy the benefits of synced progress, notes, etc...

Barring that, how about an ereader with good Dropbox support?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Karthe posted:

Is there an ereader that supports Google Play Books? I love the idea of an ereader (mainly the benefits of the eink screen), but needing to manually load books onto a microSD card had me lose interest real quick when I received a Nook Simple Touch as a gift a year or two ago. I'm hoping there's been some improvement in cloud service synchronization so that I can pull down books I've uploaded to Play Books at any time and enjoy the benefits of synced progress, notes, etc...

Barring that, how about an ereader with good Dropbox support?

In theory, you could root the NST and install the Play store on it and then use Play Books itself.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
New Kindle Paperwhite software update available (5.3.8):

Amazon posted:

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

Search terms highlighted in search results

When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.
Select other dictionaries when looking up a word

When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.
View other definitions of a word

When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201063560

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Awww, I was all excited that they might be adding the stuff from the new Paperwhite software. Alas.

That has to happen, right? I can't imagine they'd keep it just on the new one.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think they've ever backported features from a new Kindle to the old one.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Volte posted:

I don't think they've ever backported features from a new Kindle to the old one.

Not true - they brought Paperwhite features to the Touch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone I know wants to repay a thing they owe me by buying me a Kindle book. How does that work? Can they actually buy it on their account and have it shipped to my PW or do they need to log in as me or what? I've never done a gift before so I'm not sure what they'll need from me, if anything.

edit: oh ok Amazon actually has an extensive page on this and it looks like all they need is my email address.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 5, 2013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Martytoof posted:

Someone I know wants to repay a thing they owe me by buying me a Kindle book. How does that work? Can they actually buy it on their account and have it shipped to my PW or do they need to log in as me or what? I've never done a gift before so I'm not sure what they'll need from me, if anything.

You can buy a kindle book as a gift. In the US at least, not sure about up north.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kazy posted:

You can buy a kindle book as a gift. In the US at least, not sure about up north.

Since the Kindle was released in the UK back in 2010, gifting ebooks has been "coming soon". Any idea what the hold up is?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've got a Kindle Keyboard with 3G (purchased back when it was just the Kindle.) Is there a way to see the countries where I get 3G access? I'm going to China soon, and I know they have GSM, I'm just not sure if the Kindle can roam there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boxman posted:

I've got a Kindle Keyboard with 3G (purchased back when it was just the Kindle.) Is there a way to see the countries where I get 3G access? I'm going to China soon, and I know they have GSM, I'm just not sure if the Kindle can roam there.

China is not currently supported for the internet browser over 3G, but you might be able to use the 3G for the Kindle store.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Install Windows posted:

China is not currently supported for the internet browser over 3G, but you might be able to use the 3G for the Kindle store.

I can confirm that you can, unless something has changed.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Donraj posted:

I can confirm that you can, unless something has changed.

Worked when I was there a year ago. Don't know anyone else with a Kindle 3G though.
See this map

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
When I was in China, I could only access the store and Wikipedia, not the normal Internet through 3G.

It seems like the Japanese version of the 3G kindle only has 3G support in Japan, not other countries? I'm thinking of upgrading my 3rd gen but the worldwide 3G has been useful at times, so maybe it's best to import again, despite the higher price.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Original_Z posted:

When I was in China, I could only access the store and Wikipedia, not the normal Internet through 3G.

It seems like the Japanese version of the 3G kindle only has 3G support in Japan, not other countries? I'm thinking of upgrading my 3rd gen but the worldwide 3G has been useful at times, so maybe it's best to import again, despite the higher price.

Kindle Keyboard? 3G internet should work in China, mine did without issue.

You had a Japanese 3G Kindle? Maybe it supports different 3G bands that aren't available in China as Japan uses weirdo mobile phone frequencies.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SB35 posted:

Kindle Keyboard? 3G internet should work in China, mine did without issue.

You had a Japanese 3G Kindle? Maybe it supports different 3G bands that aren't available in China as Japan uses weirdo mobile phone frequencies.

I have an American 3rd gen keyboard. Maybe it depends on where you are, but I tried using it for browsing sites in Beijing a year ago and got the message that web browsing is not supported in my location or something like that. Had to run around and try to find stable wifi spots, which was quite challenging. The Wikipedia support was pretty useful in researching things though. The 3G web browser works fine in Japan and other countries that I travel to.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Not sure if this is the right thread. Tried to post it in Haus of texsupport.

Problem description: Provide a DETAILED description of your problem here.

My kindle fire HD randomly reverts to 0.0.0.0 according to my wireless monitor app. The Kindle can access the modem/router through the browser app but cannot connect out. Router management says kindle is getting allocated an IP. Usually a few restarts of the kindle fixes the issue, but it is getting annoying.

Attempted fixes: Connected to two different routers. One is chained off of the wireless modem/router. Restart kindle.

Recent changes: A few app installs but this issue persists through wipes.

--

Operating system: Android

System specs: Kindle fire HD 8.9 System version 8.4.6 (current stock for KFHD8.9). Is rooted. Which equated to I think 4.2.2 Android.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

cats
May 11, 2009
Can I ask about eReader cases here? My brother's birthday is coming up and he mentioned wanting a new sleeve for his Kindle Paperwhite. He wants one with a magnetic closure and a hand strap. I guess it should also have auto sleep/wake, and I think he wants a fairly thin one. Any suggestions?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Pianist On Strike posted:

Can I ask about eReader cases here? My brother's birthday is coming up and he mentioned wanting a new sleeve for his Kindle Paperwhite. He wants one with a magnetic closure and a hand strap. I guess it should also have auto sleep/wake, and I think he wants a fairly thin one. Any suggestions?

Look up Gecko cases - Noreve if you're feeling spendy.

cats
May 11, 2009

Guitarchitect posted:

Look up Gecko cases - Noreve if you're feeling spendy.

These look awesome but ugh, Europe - and his birthday is this weekend. I totally procrastinated... I'd love to find something similar on Amazon/Ebay/elsewhere in the US.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

ShadowMoo posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread. Tried to post it in Haus of texsupport.

Problem description: Provide a DETAILED description of your problem here.

My kindle fire HD randomly reverts to 0.0.0.0 according to my wireless monitor app. The Kindle can access the modem/router through the browser app but cannot connect out. Router management says kindle is getting allocated an IP. Usually a few restarts of the kindle fixes the issue, but it is getting annoying.

Attempted fixes: Connected to two different routers. One is chained off of the wireless modem/router. Restart kindle.

Recent changes: A few app installs but this issue persists through wipes.

--

Operating system: Android

System specs: Kindle fire HD 8.9 System version 8.4.6 (current stock for KFHD8.9). Is rooted. Which equated to I think 4.2.2 Android.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Call up Customer Service and they'll send you a new one.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any place where I can see reviews or ratings about digital versions of books, except searching Amazon reviews? I'm getting a Paperwhite soon and I noticed lots of people complaining about clarity, typos, etc. in some editions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Send to Kindle isn't working for me on Windows 8 - says "Network error occurred". Any ideas how to fix that?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Is there any place where I can see reviews or ratings about digital versions of books, except searching Amazon reviews? I'm getting a Paperwhite soon and I noticed lots of people complaining about clarity, typos, etc. in some editions.

A lot of typos are OCR errors. A lot of older books get OCRed into a digital format. Sometimes, even new books will be OCRed. I think A Dance With Dragons was one that was done that way.

If you want to take a quick look, you can read a sample. Also Amazon will refund books that have a lot of errors in them. In my experience it is kind of rare, but there are people it seems to be a recurring problem.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Yo, I have a question which concerns my rather obscure "cool-er" ereader. It's kinda a general hardware question though, so would welcome answers from non-cool-er owners.

The cool-er spec page says the SD slot is "up to 4GB". Is it possible that that's just out of date and I'd be fine getting a 16/32GB SD card? If not, could I at least access 4GB of storage from a 32GB card, or do I have to buy a 4GB one?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Inverse square posted:

Yo, I have a question which concerns my rather obscure "cool-er" ereader. It's kinda a general hardware question though, so would welcome answers from non-cool-er owners.

The cool-er spec page says the SD slot is "up to 4GB". Is it possible that that's just out of date and I'd be fine getting a 16/32GB SD card? If not, could I at least access 4GB of storage from a 32GB card, or do I have to buy a 4GB one?

Well you could just give it a try. If it supports 4GB that's SDHC which specs to 32GB so it's likely a 32GB card might work too. It might be a limitation of the processor to read such a large card or more than a certain number of files though. So that might be why they claim "up to 4GB"

Did you pick up this eReader long ago or get an awesome deal on it (read FREE)? oh I see now, it's a few years old, like Kindle 2 aged.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 15, 2013

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Inverse square posted:

I'm curious what your motivation might by in looking at this guy over a Kindle, Kobo, or (god forbid) nook. From their website, the price does not seem to be a huge motivator.

(For what it's worth, I've been super happy with the various nooks I've had over the years)

I'm not criticizing your choice here, I'm merely curious.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Thank you SB35, I'll have a think about what to do with this information.

Lord Girlyman posted:

I'm not criticizing your choice here, I'm merely curious.
I thought someone might be, and I respect that you didn't jump to the conclusion that I am an idiot ;)

I got this thing, a few weeks ago, used, for £30. It's not too bad at all, for that price! It briefly looked as though it was going to brick when I let it run out of battery, but it turned out fine, and apart from that it works great, with a no-nonsense UI and decent features. I'm tech savvy and I mostly read books by long-dead people, so I just download PDFs; I can go a long time without having any desire to use the ebook stores.

Even used Kobos and Nooks, from what I can see, start at £43. And I can listen to music and podcasts on this eccentric little thing; I was never clear on what other ereaders you could listen to stuff on.

Inverse square fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 15, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That cool-er reader looks like something horrible happened to an old iPod Nano.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Inverse square posted:

I'm tech savvy and I mostly read books by long-dead people, so I just download PDFs; I can go a long time without having any desire to use the ebook stores.

You read PDFs only? You might like epubs better on an ereader.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I usually get epubs and import them through Calibre.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I usually get epubs and import them through Calibre.

Do you have much success doing that? The few PDFs I've converted that way are pretty much unreadable.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have much success doing that? The few PDFs I've converted that way are pretty much unreadable.

PDFs are like that, yeah. I usually get this program called sigil and go through the converted book and fix any formatting errors. They're usually right at the beginning of the chapter, near the end, in between, so I don't really spoil much for myself.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just pre-ordered a Paperwhite w/ ads and a MoKo Cover Case. Will be my first eReader. Being able to have multiple books with me when I read outside is going to be pretty great. How's Amazon Prime's book selection? And it'll be nice to buy some cheap books when they're on sale. Even buying used books at $.01 still means the book costs $4 because of the shipping per book.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Shyfted One posted:

Just pre-ordered a Paperwhite w/ ads and a MoKo Cover Case. Will be my first eReader. Being able to have multiple books with me when I read outside is going to be pretty great. How's Amazon Prime's book selection? And it'll be nice to buy some cheap books when they're on sale. Even buying used books at $.01 still means the book costs $4 because of the shipping per book.

The Prime lending library is pretty disappointing, at least to me. Most of it seemed to be romance novels (so if that's your thing great!). I think the whole of the Hunger Games is part of it though.

The daily deals are pretty hit or miss but sometimes you get some real good deals. Once they had almost every Philip K. Dick book on sale for $2 each, another time it was all of Ian Fleming's Bond novels for $2. I've also picked up random books for $2 just because they sounded interesting enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Not big on romance novels. Well, maybe I am, I never read one.

The Hunger Games would be nice to help breakup all the non-fiction I tend to read.

Wish I didn't miss the Philip K Dick sale. I hope they go on sale again at some point.

Is it pretty simple to add .mobi files to the Kindle? I have some on my computer that I'd like to add once I get it.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 15, 2013